It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eight dead in Cyprus military base blast

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Eight dead in Cyprus military base blast

www.rte.ie

It is believed the blasts occurred in a dump housing munitions that Cyprus had confiscated from a vessel heading to Syria from Iran in 2009.

'There were 98 containers of gunpowder. Two of them (caught) fire and huge explosions occurred,' a police spokesman told CNA.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.stuff.co.nz

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
It has been stated the sound blast was felt as far away as 3 -4 km and heard well over 40 km. Structural damage to highways and homes along with the leveling of the naval base has been confirmed.

As this has just happened news are somewhat sketchy as it has been reported on local television that the naval base has been completely wiped off the face of the earth.

A the local power station was knocked off line due to the explosion and fire but has but has now been contained by fire fighters and partial power has been restored. Over 70% of power has not been restored to cypurs based on news reports.

edit: Reports indicate that no tourists are among the injured as the deaths are confined to be soldiers from the naval base and the injured are restricted local residents.

Link to live feed.
www.megatv.com...

www.rte.ie
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11-7-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Adding to the tragic scene is that since there is limited power to the country due to the destruction of the power station its citizens have no way in switching on air conditioning as temperatures are currently at this hour 35oC

The island's main power station also sustained extensive damage as a result of the explosion and the electricity authority has said it will remain offline for at least a day.

news.sky.com... 8048?f=rss

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
A few days ago, Gaddafi threatened to attack Europe. Could this be an attack, or was it just an accident?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
A few days ago, Gaddafi threatened to attack Europe. Could this be an attack, or was it just an accident?

There is an ongoing investigation as it is being reported but sketchy information is that it was due to a fire that broke out around 4:20 am and the blast occurred at 6:10 am, but no reports to that kind I guess we need to wait and see.

edit: 5 Firefighters who were battling the initial fire at 4:20am have been confirmed dead along with 2 naval personnel and 2 civilian contractors the others that were also found dead at the scene are currently being investigated, the death toll has now risen to 15.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
mmm...Why do I smell false flag???....specially after Ghaddafi promised to attack europe
Lets wait and see whats going to be the "cause" of the blast....

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ringht_n_wrong

I somehow doubt it was related to any terroist act as i posted earlier firefighters were battling a fire that raged out of control and approached the containers that eventually exploded.

Power station images.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I already posted this but its getting more interest in here
i put it in middle east issues so its probs the wrong place anyway.
Hope the lads are ok out there, i have friends in cyprus and also served out there for a few years myself.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2012king
I already posted this but its getting more interest in here
i put it in middle east issues so its probs the wrong place anyway.
Hope the lads are ok out there, i have friends in cyprus and also served out there for a few years myself.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Oh...hi 2012king, hadn't noticed your thread and yes i also served there when it was a hot spot. One thing that isn't being reported is what the people thought when they woke up to that explosion, it sure brought back the memories of the initial attack and consequent invasion of the island in 74

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

The area is really hot and dry. Unless Ghadaffi controls the the sun I'd say that's a negative.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I remember when i served we had a small fire that spread and took the best part of 2 days to put out, that was with the help of the choppers dropping water (one of which managed to soak me!!) so for a fire to start on a military base on the early ours of the morning could not have been caused by the sun. The military are well aware of the fire risks out there and are very cautious so for a fire to happen near a munitions dump is not likely to be an accident, especially at that time in the morning. It could well be a BBQ that got out of hand, but again, at that time on a monday morning doesnt seem likely to me.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 2012king

You don't know how the ammunition was stored or how well prepared their military was/is. There is a break out of forest fires in the area as well. I'm thinking that the heat wave is a more probable cause, that's all.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini

You don't know how the ammunition was stored or how well prepared their military was/is. There is a break out of forest fires in the area as well. I'm thinking that the heat wave is a more probable cause, that's all.

Sorry but if there was a forest fire nearby, they would have ensured it would not have affected the dump. It will have been well stored, because of what it is. A munitions dump, wherever it is will be well secured and especially kept away from risks of fire no matter where it is in the world. UK bases are classed as british soil, therefore british laws apply (albeit military) so there is no way that it will have just been left out in the open at the edge of a forest.
It may well have been an accident but i dont see how the people in charge on that base could have let a fire affect the munitions dump. If it was an accident, there will be some serious questions asked.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

My opinion is based on at least 2 sources. Yours is based on...?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
In regards to the storage of the munitions, it has been suggested on the news that adequate measures were not taken in maintaining the containers with such large volumes of munitions, combining that with a fire reulted in the tragic accident and loss of life.

More images from the power station that is currently off line.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

My opinion is based on at least 2 sources. Yours is based on...?

serving on 3 different bases in cyprus.

I dont need a link to anything to tell you what i know. All you have to do is walk around any military base in cyprus to see the amount of firefighting equipment around. There are sand and water buckets everywhere along with beaters to put out small fires. On a base with ammunition stored you can also guarantee that they have much more equipment than that around, wether it be their own fire engines or whatever.
Sorry but i cant see this being an accident.
Also if you see the surrounding area in this video on the BBC news website, there is no way that a fire could have spread from the small bushes nearby to the store of the ammo without being noticed and stopped.

link to vid www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Read the info just posted up there. Seems you need to look around a little better and assume less.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Read the info just posted up there. Seems you need to look around a little better and assume less.

It has been suggested to the news that the storage containers were not maintained properly? That doesnt prove a thing, it also doest explain how a fire managed to start on a military base, and then spread to a container. Not only did it just so happen to spread that far without being noticed, it was also big enough to ignite the dump. Doesnt seem like an accident to me.

Consider this, 6am, most people on the base are awake, you have a team of at least 10 people on a base that size on guard duty, not only are they on the main gate but also patrolling around the perimiter of the base. You are telling me that if an accidental fire from an area surrounding the base was big enough to spread to a secure area (wether it was maintained proprley or not) that it would have not been spotted by somebody?
Sorry but this has nothing to do with wether the containers were maintained properly or not, they will not have been open for all to access.
Fires in cyprus do spread quickly, but not accross concrete.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I just heard the news.

The number of the dead is now 15 ,but they fear that it will rise,and the injured 43.

Information indicates that this is Russian-made military equipment of the Syrian state, which had been seized by a Russian ship three years ago and kept in inappropriate conditions. Other sources indicate that the material was destined for Iran.

The MSM news said that 3 years ago in a huge operation the Russian,American and Cyprus secret services seized the ship carrying the boxes with explosives.They kept it in the base since then and until the accident there was no mention of what they contained.

Everyone talks about an accident due to the bad conditions,but i have a feeling that they might use the "terrorist attack" story eventually to justify more attacks.
Since the military equipment came from Syria (and may i remind you that we read recently that Syria and other middle east countries are preparing for war-check the WW3 forum for more info) they will propably use it.

I hope that i'm just paranoid and this tragedy will not be used to cause more deaths and devastation.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join