It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Re-run TV episodes digitally add product placement.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
consumerist.com...

"For the past few years, networks have been digitally inserting ads and product placements for new products into old reruns. Shannon just noticed one in a rerun of a 2007 episode of "How I Met Your Mother." In the background on the shelf is a magazine with an ad on the back for the new "Zookeeper" starring Kevin James. So does this mean Robin is buying bootleg DVD's? Or there's an unrevealed storyline where she's a movie reviewer for the local paper, seeing advance versions of the latest films? It raises all sorts of questions about timeline and continuity, and the more you stare at it and try to figure it out, the more the brand burns itself into your brain. Here's what the shot looked like before the insertion."

I don't watch TV so I had no idea this was going on. This is very creepy to me as this same tech could be added to any show, including newscasts. Certainly could be used to sway public opinion by strategically placing various objects. We all know that news revenue is advertising based, imagine every story with new ad based slant.
edit on 6-7-2011 by wiandiii because: for content

edit on Wed Jul 6 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ**

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

Subliminal messaging at its best

What a scary world we live in today. Not a single second of our lives, where we are free from some kind of mind manipulation or influence.

link   
This is so very not surprising to me. Whatever way they can market to us and find another way to make a dollar. Just another reason I turned off the TV years ago!

link   
that is creepy...i can imagine watching an old episode of only fools and horses and seeing grandad watching a 3dtv or something next haha

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

what sort of product placement would you put here.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by welshbeliever

dude im digging the avatar! - loved that thread earlier - top marks and a star from me!!!

e2a: you missed out the best bit!
edit on 6-7-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

I wonder how much they pay for an ad like that?

I don't know how effective it is, I probably wouldn't even notice it. Even if I did, the writing is a little fuzzy in that screenshot so I'm not sure if I could even make out what it said in passing, though I can read it if I stare at it a while.

You're subject to a mandatory 3-day post ban but I'm not reporting you, just please use the EX-tags next time;
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ**

MANDATORY 3 DAY POST BAN on the first offense

edit on 6-7-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

new topics

top topics

join