It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird orange/yellow thunderstorm!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
We had some storms come through here in northern indiana yesterday (June 2nd), and afterwards the sky was a bright orange everywhere. The lightning was a weird color of purple and crawled all over the sky. The thunder was also strange, very low and lasted at least three times longer than normal.

Odd times.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JaquesIrish

Um, there is the sun behind those clouds. The filter of different angles of sunlight makes for different colored clouds.

That or you are using a sunglass lens on top of your camera lens.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
At first I thought "Sepia" too, but during the video you can actually see the lightening's blue light. That convinced me that it wasn't "Sepia".

Also, orange storm clouds aren't that crazy when one considers that above the clouds you see could be a huge thunderhead cloud catching the setting sun's orange light. That orange light gets diffused through the lower clouds above you and turns everything orange.

Very cool storm!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Well I live in Michigan and I was at a friends BBQ and we had those same storms rolling in and yes they were just as orange as you have shown in your pictures and short video. It got real dark and then the sky turned orange and boiling clouds began to appear. The other odd thing was the sun was supposed to set at 9:14p.m. and it was light and orange till about 10:00p.m. Once it finally got dark the lightening then put on a crazy light show.
It was kinda like

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
im in ontario, and i watched the storm
i went outside and saw this massive storm cloud start passing over our house. it moved fairly quickly, and it was real dark, the clouds were amazing to watch! i got pics of the grey clouds, but not the bright orange sky after. lots of my friends on FB posted pictures of the bright orange sky after, it was a beautiful colour... i had never seen that happen before! we've had some really good storms here so far

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sphota

Um, there is the sun behind those clouds. The filter of different angles of sunlight makes for different colored clouds.

Aye, it's due to the sun - which I'm guessing was fairly low in the sky at the time of the storm? Early evening perhaps? Not that common although I've seen similar effects myself a few times.

(I don't doubt the images are real for one minute)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I was Downtown Detroit watching the Tigers game and after the worst lf the wind and rain came through the sky was the same color.
the clouds were low and thick. Sorry no picks. We were all corraled like cattle when the storm blew in. It looked cool, i figure the color was because it was around sunset time

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Great thread OP ..

I was going to start one on this when my pics uploaded from my phone.

I live just north of Detroit and I can verify what the OP is saying.

The one thing he is missing is more CAPS because this was something I have Never seen before ( and I have lived all over the country and the VI's ).

First it was raining with lighting ( before sunset )..then just at sunset the Earth turned this yellow/orange color ( not just the sky ). It was like putting on yellow shooting glasses.

Then it slowly turned into this Orange color.

This IS NOT FAKE !! Its not sepia and its not lens filters !

Here are some pics I took with my G1 ( hope this works )

I have a few more when they finally get uploaded to my email..then to photobucket

If you need them smaller I can do that...or if someone can Inbed them for me that would be great

Jadu

edit on 3-7-2011 by jaduguru because: NM on that inbed thing..looks like ATS did it for me

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I'm near toronto. It wasn"t orange by the time it got here but it was still pretty crazy! The sky was like a strobe light. I gor caught driving in it. Just to edit I just watched your video and it looks like it was the angle of the sun and scattering of blue light
edit on 3-7-2011 by amp1214 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jaduguru

Okay, not brilliant pictures but nonetheless you've captured the effect well

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Ok .. my G1 pics .. same spot same place and time but somehow the g1 did color correction.

Im not going to hide pics for debunkers .. here ya go ..Direct G1 phone camera after waiting for phone color correction ..

Another with G1 ..

Those other pics are a direct Snap of my G1 camera ..( the Orange everywhere pics ) .

Im telling ya.. this is for Real LOL .. I know it seems crazy .. but its just like you put on your sunglasses ( rose or eagle eyes ) .. the sunset was not just in the sky..it was permeated.

To those that have seen yesterday ... at least you Know

Jadu

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
i was looking at the weather network website today and theres a lot of pics of the orange sky posted there
heres some links to different pictures of it:

www.theweathernetwork.com...

edit to add: i think the 2nd link is the best photo to show the amazing effect!
edit on 3-7-2011 by devilishlyangelic23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by devilishlyangelic23

No .. I dont think you understand ..

The Sky can turn whatever color .. its the Rest of the story your not getting ...

The Friggin Earth turned almost yellow..and then orange !! My pics or the OP is NOT kidding LOL ..

This is not some freak storm..just a normal everyday storm .. Its the Surface affects that are in question ..

My pics and the OPs pics are NOT sepia ..they are direct .. explain these things ..

You look out your window and see Everything Yellow .. or Orange ( yes the green trees and bushes looked Very Green ) ..

Dude.. you didnt see it or you would understand ....

Im not normally this animated on things .. but this one has me confligured ..

Im Confligged ..

Jadu ..

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
You wont believe how many people on my cousins FB has posted similar pics! I swear something is up. It was like we were in a completely different world with orange skies!

After talking to some more people about the storm...we can say that it was yellow/orange since 8pm-10:15pm(roughly). Whether it'd be the sun having an effect on these clouds i can assure you that the sun was most likely gone by the 9:30pm point- off which it was still crazy bright with the storm.

I don't feel like i can use the sun as a motivating factor for this event anymore. This storm was soo bright that no traces of night was visible till after it passed.
edit on 3-7-2011 by JaquesIrish because: (no reason given)

JIJI
edit on 3-7-2011 by JaquesIrish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Well I've lived in the Detroit area all my life and these yellow/orange storms are nothing new when they strike around sunset. It seems to happen a handful of times every summer. It only happens around sunset, so it must be just how the light is reflecting off the clouds/rain in the atmosphere. Nothing new.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You have your pictures and other peoples comments yet there is still hot air being blown up about this event.

What is so hard to understand that EVERYTHING WAS ORANGE!!!

I think we can all call ourselves aware human beings right? Especially when it comes to the sky. We see it everyday, we see the gorgeous colors emitted after sunset...Soo were quite familiar how a sunset looks....but when its after the sunset point...and everywhere you look looks orange...than something is up.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

We have these all the time in pan-handle Florida. Seriously. Including the orange/yellow everything, not just sky.

Its simple. Sun hits the clouds at a low angle - or through a patch of different air (smog for example) - and is no longer white. The act of hitting the clouds bounces the light to the surface. Everything is now under a [insert color] light instead of white. You now see everything differently because your light source is no longer white.

Everything you see, as it is, is dependent on the "white" light of our sun (which is actually a bit more greenish...but anyways.) - if that color changes all-around you, and is your only source of light, then yes, everything will look tinted.

Nothing bad, nothing scary, beyond maybe to much pollution in your air if this wasn't near sunset...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This is the explanation I heard when I was growing up in an area prone to tornadoes. The winds pull loose dirt upwards. The sunlight filtering through the dust filled clouds give a hue ranging from orange to green depending on the soil make up. When we would see this, it was time to take cover. It's very eerie to experience.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I know yesterday people in Detroit were twittering and posting about a vivid orange red sky. I mean, this was not just a sunset. The whole sky was vivid orange red. It looked like the end of the world or something. I saw pictures and it was awesome but I would have been scared of it.

We got a small storm yesterday that was very strong for just a few minutes as it blew through the bottom portion of Arkansas.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
As some other people have also said.....a mix of light refraction and dust/grit/dirt in the low atmosphere.

The video shows strong winds and heavy rain....these seem like perfect conditions to cause this effect

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join