It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird orange/yellow thunderstorm!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Out of the blue folks, my vacation has abruptly become a point of interest!
Im currently visiting friends an family in Ontario and today we had a very interesting thunderstorm. Never had i seen the likes of this kind since i moved away 18 years ago- and neither has my family who has been living here for 40 years.

Now, what is soo special about this thunderstrom is that instead of it being just grey skies and lighten...it was bright bright orange and for a short time yellow ((didnt get a pic of the yellow)). Now i do enjoy watching a good thunderstorm folks but this was ridiculous. Never had i seen this in my life so i thought i share this interesting event.

Pic of Skies 1

Pick of skies 2

Orange Storm

edit on 2-7-2011 by JaquesIrish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
new update: The storm has passed and the skies are now pitch black! Lightening is still flashing but the rain has died down now and there is not a trace of the orange anywhere! Took a walk down the street to see if the orange clouds were visible and they are all gone!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Looks altered to me or your camera had weird settings since everything is oarnge.

Actually looks like you took it on a cloudy day near a giant forest fire.

You really should have had something else in the picture that looked normal so we could see the difference.
edit on 2-7-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
That my freind is a solar storm caused aurora. That is where the latest solar flares have hit the earth

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Looks altered to me or your camera had weird settings since everything is oarnge.

You really should have had something else in the picture that looked normal so we could see the difference.
edit on 2-7-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

If it was a forest fire you would probably been able to see black smoke in the sky or something. This is exactly how it was less than an hour ago. Everything was orange pretty much.

Though what i did use to take these pictures was a Kodak EasyShare C180 Digital Camera and no fancy settings either.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Everything would appear orange yes, I remember when the smoke from the forest fires in Australia came across the Tasman to New Zealand, everything you looked at hand a orange tinge to it, so it could be smoke. Either that or he filmed it with the Sepia setting on (not sure if thats the correct terminology or not) but anyway pretty interesting S&F

edit on 2/7/11 by flyingkiwi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Dont listen to these guys I am going to show a few images I took a couple yrs ago..

I am not sure why this happens.. I used to remember seeing this when I was younger after bad storms, and now it only happens every once in a while...

::EDIT::

Added Images..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f1da43357efb.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0fc98e2e5d2.jpg[/atsimg]

These images were taken 3/31/06
edit on 7/2/2011 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingkiwi

Back when I lived in Minnesota after a big thunderstorm sometimes everything was oarnge for a bit. Maybe this is the same thing your describing.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Looks like it has happened before...check out this picture from 2009. Very odd:

picture

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I have never seen this before and no i didnt use the Sepia setting on my camera. This is a first in this area for me and my family. Very impressed but give me a second and ill come up with two things to debunk the " i accidently used the Sepia setting of my camera to take the pic and the video." point.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The effect definitely looks artificial. Anyone with a little experience can mess around with the "hue" settings and get this effect. I'm not saying that's what you did, but it IS a little hard to believe.

I *would* say "pics or it didn't happen," but....

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I've never seen that before. It's a pretty color but a little unnerving. I have no idea what would cause something like that.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaquesIrish
I have never seen this before and no i didnt use the Sepia setting on my camera. This is a first in this area for me and my family. Very impressed but give me a second and ill come up with two things to debunk the " i accidently used the Sepia setting of my camera to take the pic and the video." point.

Non Sepia

Sepia Pic

There we go. Two simple pics, not altered or anything. Took it where i was sitting. Clearly the sepia is by far no where near the color of the clouds i have been speaking about.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Turn off the Sepia tone on your camera

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I saw this same storm today (I'm near the 401 between Chatham and Windsor). I saw it as the same exact colour as in your images, so I can corroborate that the images weren't altered.

I think there is an explanation however, the storm began just as the sun was setting and it was already a really humid, hazy day so an orange sunset would be normal. I looked at the shape of the storm on the weather network's radar map as it passed over, and I could tell it was really long and narrow. It's about as long as lake Erie, but only 50kms wide in most parts. It's still raining now in fact, and it's pitch black because it's dark.

I think we saw the sunset on the horizon to the north of the narrow storm front and then it went pitch black as the sun set.

Still a freaky storm though, the lightening has never been this bad around here before.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
That is cool. I have seen this before myself.
Usually when there are bushfires around etc. It can make you feel like something is definitely afoot, weird and strange.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Yep, me too, north of Detroit, everything was orange, like a heat lamp shining down, and the clouds looked so strange.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
I saw this same storm today (I'm near the 401 between Chatham and Windsor). I saw it as the same exact colour as in your images, so I can corroborate that the images weren't altered.

I think there is an explanation however, the storm began just as the sun was setting and it was already a really humid, hazy day so an orange sunset would be normal. I looked at the shape of the storm on the weather network's radar map as it passed over, and I could tell it was really long and narrow. It's about as long as lake Erie, but only 50kms wide in most parts. It's still raining now in fact, and it's pitch black because it's dark.

I think we saw the sunset on the horizon to the north of the narrow storm front and then it went pitch black as the sun set.

Still a freaky storm though, the lightening has never been this bad around here before.

Thankyou! My cousins house is in windsor so im absolutely sure you saw what i saw!
Ive been trying to scan the local news to see if they have any pics of this before today and i haven't been able to find anything.

As for the sun setting, i thought that may have been a possibility or having some factor in the appearance of the clouds but i wouldnt know!

Though did you see the bright yellow at one point? Cause that was trippy!!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Anywhom i do hope this isn't some bad omen or something cause that would disturbing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join