It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planes with banners that read "God-LESS America" or "Atheism is Patriotic"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

In your world maybe.
It's all subjective of course, but I find it disrespectful, insincere, inflammatory, stupid, and hypocritical on many levels. Of course only those that side with them are allowed an opinion so mines automatically mute.
Your opinion is as loud as mine. And you are as entitled to it as anyone else. Being able to defend your opinion is part of participation in a debate board. I still am unclear where the disrespect comes in, or any of the other negatives you assign to this story. Or how it is inflammatory in any way. Would it be because atheism is something with which you vehemently disagree?
As a veteran, I find this disrespectful.....it has not a damn thing to do with the holiday and everything to do with them being asses. As a Pagan, I don't care what religious beliefs you have, I don't feel the need to do the same for my beliefs and they are looked down upon more strongly than those of atheists. You and I have locked horns before over several topics and I find it no surprise that we are on this one.......And BH shows up as if on que, have fun guys, I have no desire to argue with you guys on every thread. I do find it amazing that you only show up on these sort or threads though......good to know the left sticks together.
edit on 1-7-2011 by adifferentbreed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Remind me again...............exactly what does being an Ahteist have to do with patriotism, or the fourth of July?

That's their message. Their message is that atheists can be patriots, too! (Like me) Atheists can love their country.

As far as not being tolerant....you're right, and less so everyday, funny thing about that, it's a two way street.

Not really. You're either tolerant of those who are different than you or you aren't.

As a veteran, I find this disrespectful.....

You are, no doubt, looking to be offended.
edit on 7/1/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Actually no, I'm more offended by people of your ilk.
Anything having to do with dishonoring our country or troops you and your buds will be there applauding.
Guess I'm just stuck with you. Quick, make it about gay atheists and Annee will join in and you'll have the full crew.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

reply to post by hotbakedtater

Remind me again...............exactly what does being an Ahteist have to do with patriotism, or the fourth of July? Bells are a part of Christmas, so at least they belong in some peoples beliefs.As far as not being tolerant....you're right, and less so everyday, funny thing about that, it's a two way street.
What does anything have to do with patriotism? What does being a christian have to patriotism? What does being a female have to do with Patriotism?

Being American, a love of country defines patriotism. Many people of all kinds love their country, including athiests. maybe that is what being athiest has to do with patriotism.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well, you guys have fun, I'm off to a reunion and will be gone for the weekend.
Thankfully, I don't live an a place with idiots like these and my fourth will be awesome.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Actually no, I'm more offended by people of your ilk.
Anything having to do with dishonoring our country or troops you and your buds will be there applauding.
Guess I'm just stuck with you. Quick, make it about gay atheists and Annee will join in and you'll have the full crew.

How does flying a plane espousing a personal belief dishomor our country or troops? Our country is founded on the right of all to believe in any fashion they see fit, and our troops fight for all to have this right.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Quite sad that so many find reason to crap on people who dare to make a statement they might personally disagree with. Still this doesn't hold a candle to the christian billboards littering Florida's I-75 for hundreds of miles that have full color photos of aborted fetuses. Whatever.

If it weren't for people that act as if atheists are Satan himself it's likely that atheist groups wouldn't feel a need to make such advertisements. If these same people would stop discriminating against atheists, atheists wouldn't have to point out obvious things - such as their patriotism or morality.

I wish they had done this sooner. I was elated to discover I wasn't the only person out there who didn't believe in gods. I wish I would have known there were groups of like-minded people for me to associate with. Maybe now that they're becoming more visible it'll save the thousands of others who suffer atheist disenfranchisement in secrecy.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

... atheists in the United States often feel alienated and face accusations of being anti-American

That thought has never crossed my mind, that they were anti-american.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

reply to post by hotbakedtater

Remind me again...............exactly what does being an Ahteist have to do with patriotism, or the fourth of July? Bells are a part of Christmas, so at least they belong in some peoples beliefs.As far as not being tolerant....you're right, and less so everyday, funny thing about that, it's a two way street.

I too don't understand how a banner saying "god less" American proves they are patriotic.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Couldn't they come up with something different,

anyone got an idea?

I am thinking, but anyway,
happy forth everybody

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

atheist disenfranchisement in secrecy

Are you serious?
You are a closet atheist?

Where do you live, I don't know anyone that cares one way or another.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I see this as something akin to the pride parades: a vehicle to let other Americans out there that have no idea why they don't feel like everyone else (or, at least, feel similar to what is espoused publicly by others) feel like they are not alone. I have no problem with this at all.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

atheist disenfranchisement in secrecy
Are you serious?
You are a closet atheist?

Where do you live, I don't know anyone that cares one way or another.

His signature says "ATS skeptic and atheist". I am guessing he is not a closet atheist, just a normal one

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggyMcBigPants

Love the name BiggyMcBigPants,

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

[How does it "prove" selfishness or stupidity?

Here, I'll think for you. The group isn't doing this to "make themselves feel better", but rather to offend. That's my problem with this, just like how Christians do the opposite just to offend. It shows no respect to others. If it was a Christian naming HIS airline "God Airlines" fine. If it was an Atheist naming HIS airline "God less Airlines" great.

But to do it just to spite someone is idiotic. Doesn't matter who's doing the spiting.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I too don't understand how a banner saying "god less" American proves they are patriotic.

"God less America" is a play on words for the common patriotic phrase "God bless America". Obviously they could have come up with something else like "Atheists love America", but whoever paid for the sign must have liked the way "God less America" rolled off the tongue. What is important is not what the sign said, but the message it conveys....Atheists are just as American and patriotic as any theist.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It is truly a "Sign of the Times", as this America will Fall under the realm of the God-less! Can we not read the "signs"?

I will pray as I know I am no longer a Patriot to this regime as they are so bent on carpet bombing anyone who threatens their product.
edit on 7/1/2011 by Greensage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

That thought has never crossed my mind, that they were anti-american.

Oh, I know. But you are not the average bear. You're kind and compassionate and fair. You're not one of the haters. Anti-atheists think that atheists have no morals, no values, believe in nothing and have nothing to live for. And they definitely think atheists hate this country.

Couldn't they come up with something different,

Why should they do something different? If someone wants to put a sign in their front yard with their message, I support it. It may not be the most effective way to get their message out, but it's not really my business. They're exercising their freedoms in their chosen way. Why should they do it differently?

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
The group isn't doing this to "make themselves feel better", but rather to offend.

What proof do you have of this statement?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

[How does it "prove" selfishness or stupidity?

Here, I'll think for you. The group isn't doing this to "make themselves feel better", but rather to offend. That's my problem with this, just like how Christians do the opposite just to offend. It shows no respect to others. If it was a Christian naming HIS airline "God Airlines" fine. If it was an Atheist naming HIS airline "God less Airlines" great.

But to do it just to spite someone is idiotic. Doesn't matter who's doing the spiting.
I don't see it as offensive nor do I se ehow they are doing it to offend.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I don't see it as offensive nor do I se ehow they are doing it to offend.

Then you're either:

A) Blind
B) Too biased

But out of futility, let me put it this way.

If an Atheist was able to get a street dedicated to Darwin in Anytown, USA much to the Atheists delight, wouldn't you be happy? Then what if Christians then decided, "Well, we'll fly huge ass Boeing's over Anytown, USA and 20 other states that says, 'GOD EXISTS' and 'REPENT!'", wouldn't you think they were doing that out of spite?

This is what it boils down to, disrespect. And I'm so tired of it. FROM.BOTH.SIDES. It's funny, I have friends with a wide religious background and lack thereof. We get along fine. My religious friends don't force feed my non-religious friends crap and vice versa. We're just us and it works. Instead of Christians trying to find a fault with Atheists, and Atheists a fault with Christians, try hanging out some time and leave your opinions about the afterlife at home.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join