It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Planes with banners that read "God-LESS America" or "Atheism is Patriotic"

page: 3
5
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift
 


Well I think the more you stir SH*& the worse it stinks. Why create an argument on Independence Day(has nothing to do with Atheism)....are you trying to start one with your sarcasm? I think so. Point made!




posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
Then you're either:

A) Blind
B) Too biased


Or not prejudiced...




If an Atheist was able to get a street dedicated to Darwin in Anytown, USA much to the Atheists delight, wouldn't you be happy?


It wouldn't affect me one way or the other. Why should I care?



Then what if Christians then decided, "Well, we'll fly huge ass Boeing's over Anytown, USA and 20 other states that says, 'GOD EXISTS' and 'REPENT!'", wouldn't you think they were doing that out of spite?


No. Christians have been advertising their religion for ages. One more ad isn't going to make any difference.






posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I agree that Freedom of Speech should be granted to all. Independence day is not about a lack of Religion or spirituality though. Preach there is no God or Preach there is....I do not care. What I care about is putting money where your mouth is. Give all that money that is on billboards or planes or buses to a charity. Help feed the hungry, clothe the poor....something else instead of creating havoc with a personal belief. But again..I welcome Freedom of Speech but my PERSONAL



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by hotbakedtater
 


Well, why is it every organization with a cause needs to screw up someones holiday to prove their point, I'd call that pretty damn disrespectful and stupid? If they want to present their cause fine, but it's always in a way to shock people or screw up their day. They want to do exactly what they accuse people of other belief systems of doing............if that's rational to you, well, it explains alot. Hope this answers your question. And remind me again, what rights don't they have.......just curious.
edit on 1-7-2011 by adifferentbreed because: (no reason given)


How was ANYONE'S day 'screwed up' by this? Come on now, your intolerance is showing.

The thing that is being missed here is that this is a statement on the fact that nearly every 'patriotic' thing in this country references god. This is a statement on the fact that you don't have to believe in "one nation, under god" to be patriotic.

I say good for him.



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
I agree that Freedom of Speech should be granted to all. Independence day is not about a lack of Religion or spirituality though. Preach there is no God or Preach there is....I do not care. What I care about is putting money where your mouth is. Give all that money that is on billboards or planes or buses to a charity. Help feed the hungry, clothe the poor....something else instead of creating havoc with a personal belief. But again..I welcome Freedom of Speech but my PERSONAL



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by OMsk3ptic
 


In your world maybe.
It's all subjective of course, but I find it disrespectful, insincere, inflammatory, stupid, and hypocritical on many levels. Of course only those that side with them are allowed an opinion so mines automatically mute.


Some questions on this post:

1)How is this disrespectful? What is being disrespected? Stating ones own belief does not disrespect another.
2)How is this insincere? If it is what this person believes, then it is the most sincere statement in the world.
3)How is this any more inflammatory than forcing an atheist to repeat "one nation, under god"?
4)How is it stupid? Is it your assertion that someone stating their beliefs is stupid?
5)How is it hypocritical? I dont see this person showing ANY hypocrisy here...

I'll gladly await your answers.



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Or not prejudiced...


Right.



Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

It wouldn't affect me one way or the other. Why should I care?


If Atheists don't care, then why is there discussion of "God-LESS America" etc.? Seems to me that what I said remains true.


Originally posted by Benevolent HereticNo. Christians have been advertising their religion for ages. One more ad isn't going to make any difference.


Maybe because it's been the mainstream religion for so long? It's like going to Afghanistan and then griping about Islamic names on streets. It's not done to demean anyone, it's probably been voted in by the majority. Unlike these planes, which are designed for one purpose: To offend.


edit on 1-7-2011 by Frontkjemper because: Fixed quotes.



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Or not prejudiced...


Right.



Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

It wouldn't affect me one way or the other. Why should I care?


If Atheists don't care, then why is there discussion of "God-LESS America" etc.? Seems to me that what I said remains true.


Originally posted by Benevolent HereticNo. Christians have been advertising their religion for ages. One more ad isn't going to make any difference.


Maybe because it's been the mainstream religion for so long? It's like going to Afghanistan and then griping about Islamic names on streets. It's not done to demean anyone, it's probably been voted in by the majority. Unlike these planes, which are designed for one purpose: To offend.


edit on 1-7-2011 by Frontkjemper because: Fixed quotes.


Explain to me why when an atheist does it, it is designed to offend, but when its done by a christian (which happens far more often) it is only a show of one's faith?

There is nothing demeaning about this, you are simply choosing to take it that way.



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Explain to me why when an atheist does it, it is designed to offend, but when its done by a christian (which happens far more often) it is only a show of one's faith?

There is nothing demeaning about this, you are simply choosing to take it that way.


**Sigh**

Please don't be ignorant. There's really no use for me to argue in a thread full of Atheists because no matter what I or anyone else says, it'll just be deemed "wrong".



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Explain to me why when an atheist does it, it is designed to offend, but when its done by a christian (which happens far more often) it is only a show of one's faith?

There is nothing demeaning about this, you are simply choosing to take it that way.


**Sigh**

Please don't be ignorant. There's really no use for me to argue in a thread full of Atheists because no matter what I or anyone else says, it'll just be deemed "wrong".


Well, since I'm not an atheist, you should have no issue with explaining it to me.

Or is it simply a matter of it being easier to deflect by saying "you're all atheists" than it is to back up your statements?

Perhaps you should take your own advice, and please don't be ignorant.



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
So I was wondering what people think about this idea?

There was never any doubt in my mind that an atheist could be patriotic.
Is this really necessary?


"This America belongs to everyone."

Blair, the communications director for the New Jersey-based American Atheists, said atheists in the United States often feel alienated and face accusations of being anti-American because of their lack of belief in God.

To combat those notions, his group is using Independence Day to say atheists love their country, too.

But the way they're spreading their message might have Americans looking to the sky this Fourth of July and finding something besides fireworks to stir emotion.

Planes with banners that read "God-LESS America" or "Atheism is Patriotic" will be flying over 27 states on Monday. While people might be leery to see the messages overhead, the $23,000 campaign has had a struggle with those who are supposed to bring it to life.

Justin Jaye of Fly Signs Aerial Advertising, who is orchestrating the flights for American Atheists, said out of the 85 people in the country who fly these sign-pulling planes only about 17 have agreed to fly the messages.


How does a banner with, "God-LESS America" prove patriotism?

religion.blogs.cnn.com...

I think I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry
edit on 023131p://bFriday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)


First off...I am a Theist!
But the repetitious nature of this subject is starting to give me a headache...
How the Hell can atheism Not be American? This is America, Right?
Everyone is entitled to "...freedom of speech, freedom of choice, freedom of religion (or lack there of because of freedom of choice)"!
When the "H. E Double Hockey Stick" did we become a dictatorship, where everyone has the right to infringe upon everyone's rights? Huh...?
It states it in the Constitution, which is suppose to be the doctrine on which this country was founded. Even by my own religious views, it's evident that it is each individual persons choice as to what they believe. I have that right, so why shouldn't they?
However, that freedom should not in anyway impede upon any others freedom to do the same. So, as I do see it as they have the right to voice their opinions, and do support their rights...I cannot agree with the statement "God-LESS America"! Whether the statement alone is merely their view point base upon their feelings of being alienated, notwithstanding, it still can be construed as an attack of retaliation because of that viewpoint As such, it can be seen as infringement upon others rights, since the concept to abolish religion is quite clearly stated within those mere 3 words.!
When is Both sides ever going to come to the conclusion that it's Everyone Has the Right to believe what they want, whether anyone else agrees with it or not.
Atheists...even you know it's a right by 'Law', and by Freewill! We have the Right to Believe!
Theists...you should recognize that it is their "GOD Given Right", and HE doesn't impose upon That Right! They have the Right to Disbelieve!



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This reminds me of the atheist advertisements in London which currently read :

There's probably no god so stop worrying and enjoy yourself.

www.atheistbus.org.uk...

IIRC there was some controversy a year or so ago about a more controversial slogan, but I can't remember what it was and can find no mention of it.



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I don't see it as offensive nor do I se ehow they are doing it to offend.


Then you're either:

A) Blind
B) Too biased

But out of futility, let me put it this way.

If an Atheist was able to get a street dedicated to Darwin in Anytown, USA much to the Atheists delight, wouldn't you be happy? Then what if Christians then decided, "Well, we'll fly huge ass Boeing's over Anytown, USA and 20 other states that says, 'GOD EXISTS' and 'REPENT!'", wouldn't you think they were doing that out of spite?

This is what it boils down to, disrespect. And I'm so tired of it. FROM.BOTH.SIDES. It's funny, I have friends with a wide religious background and lack thereof. We get along fine. My religious friends don't force feed my non-religious friends crap and vice versa. We're just us and it works. Instead of Christians trying to find a fault with Atheists, and Atheists a fault with Christians, try hanging out some time and leave your opinions about the afterlife at home.
I am neither and you have not made your point, with me at least. I see hundreds of Christian billboards, and yes I have even seen Christian air signs, and being a non Christian, I am not offended. What others do does not determine my happiness.

I would not think your scenario was done out of spite. I would think it was done to raise awareness about the subject.

Still wondering where the disrespect comes from.

It seems like the disrespect is to the constitution. We have the right to fly signs in this country with any message we see fit if we can afford the price. We have that right, and it is not an offensive right. What is offensive is the thought that some people would like certain groups to shut up and go away because the message is different than the one they believe in.
edit on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 19:49:14 -0500 by hotbakedtater because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I don't see a problem with this. As a patriotic American I will stand up for the right of any atheist to practice their religion openly and without interference.



/TOA



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater
 

Cleary it is disrespectful because it is presumptuous and false. The fact that these people are compelled to fly a message over the country stating our nation is "God less" to spread awareness is pathetic and self contradicting. If that was true then it wouldn't need to be put in the skies because it would already be the majority consensus. The wording is meant to push buttons and is only being done in spite. Had the statement actually been worded in a fashion that matched their so called reasoning for doing it in the first place no one would care. Why would no one care if the sign said atheists can be patriotic? Because no one gives a damn in the first place. It amazes me these people try to play victim when our society is already secular so that we ALL have the right to our personal beliefs and are not enforced to believe one way or the other.



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
meh he can express any way he wants to.
most atheists are agnostic anyway they just haven't heard of the word agnostic.well atleast from my experiences with atheists.



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by hxc408
reply to post by hotbakedtater
 

Cleary it is disrespectful because it is presumptuous and false. The fact that these people are compelled to fly a message over the country stating our nation is "God less" to spread awareness is pathetic and self contradicting. If that was true then it wouldn't need to be put in the skies because it would already be the majority consensus. The wording is meant to push buttons and is only being done in spite. Had the statement actually been worded in a fashion that matched their so called reasoning for doing it in the first place no one would care. Why would no one care if the sign said atheists can be patriotic? Because no one gives a damn in the first place. It amazes me these people try to play victim when our society is already secular so that we ALL have the right to our personal beliefs and are not enforced to believe one way or the other.


Ok let's borrow some of your logic.. If god was real he wouldn't need churches to spread his word.. Yeah great logic there bro.



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
meh he can express any way he wants to.
most atheists are agnostic anyway they just haven't heard of the word agnostic.well atleast from my experiences with atheists.


Truest statement of this thread



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Freedom of speech for all!!!....*whispers*...just watch what you say.

"In God We trust"..."One nation under God"...As an american with no religious affiliation I find it slightly offensive that God is hitching a ride in my pocket when I go to the store...that I must include him when I make a pledge to my country...and Im not even a true atheist because I am one of those wackjobs that believes in a creator...just not the one that many want it to be. Personally I would rather say "In Glagnar we trust" or "One nation under the watchful eye of our alien overlords"...but we cant all get what we want now can we. some would argue that many laws...or opposition to what some might call progress..( i.e. Gay marriage)...is dripping with religious overtones. And yet there are those who would dare to claim that this country is going to the dogs because we are not close enough to God...and lets not kid ourselves...its the bible based christian God people are referring to. I wonder if they would feel this way if the country was financially solvent....if we were still living high on the hog at the expense of our second and third world brethren. It always seems the poor have the most need for God. The rich are busy living it up with goat legged fellows and giant Owls.



posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
At Tenerife airport there was a crash between two planes. the KLM pilot said "Got dam" meaning God damn, and you know what, thats what happened, everyone died on that plane. It's just a piece of history.

You know, I think it's ok for Atheists to try to propogate their religion. But the funny part is, if God does not exist, and atheism is not a religion, then why try to convert people to thinking that way. The fact people are proselytising proves it is a religion.

In the end only death will prove who's right!




top topics



 
5
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

log in

join