It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are bad: Heres why

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
reply to post by Wolfenz

Do you mind showing the bad ending to bioshock?

Edit to add, I did play Bioshock. And Its beauty is half of what frightens me, this game; they very atmosphere is evil. Gotta love a game where you've gotta kill a little girl's big daddy, at a chance to absorb her soul or something. (Which actually rewards you in the game)
edit on 3-7-2011 by Hiasyouwant because: (no reason given)

The bad ending isn't canon and the only character who's nice to you in the whole game tells you that what you're doing is wrong if you kill the Little Sisters, and condemns your actions at the end of the game. And you're not absorbing their souls, they're infected by a little sea slug that produces ADAM and basically they're not even really alive anymore, the slug's controlling them. You can either choose to save them by killing the slug, or ripping the slug out and getting the ADAM out of it but killing the girl in the process. If you decide to kill the little girls the extra ADAM makes you slowly go insane until you become one of the very people you're fighting.

Edit: And actually you don't have to kill any of the Big Daddy's, they're not hostile until you attack them.
edit on 3-7-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Bit you even said "While killing a Little Sister gives you more life", let me correct you they are "harvesting them"
www.youtube.com...

PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO. It's all 3 endings. Hordes of little girls stabbing at flesh with syringes in one.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Bit you even said "While killing a Little Sister gives you more life", let me correct you they are "harvesting them"
www.youtube.com...

Yes and you're clearly told by the only non-insane person in the game that "harvesting" them is wrong. If you choose to harvest them your character goes insane by the end of the game.

And technically you're not "harvesting" the girl you're "harvesting" the sea slug that's controlling her, although it kills the girl in the process. The only character who advises you to do this turns out to be a psychopath.

PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO. It's all 3 endings. Hordes of little girls stabbing at flesh with syringes in one.
www.youtube.com...

That happens in all three endings, that guy they're stabbing is the same guy who was advising you to kill them and the main antagonist of the game.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

*Facepalm*
You've still got absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
edit on 3/7/11 by Gazmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
It's tough convincing people to stop being slaves, but some people can't be convinced no matter what. Forgive me folks, game's are good for us - its just so very mysterious, because I haven't seen a shred of evidence of that being the case, but there are thousands of ruined lives because of games. And I'm the one who doesn't get it? They've got you all within a game, within a game, its quite sad.

Off to be slaves within a system within a system huh folks? Emotionless to reality by every hour played. A land of violence, horror, and pedophilia. Have at it people. Just don't shove it down our children's throats, oh wait... TOO LATE.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Why are you all just commenting about Bioshock anyway? It's one of thousands of evil games.
I said gave info on other games as well, previous page.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Guns dont kill people, people kill people!!!! remember that quote??

Funny as i have read a few articles around that suggest FPS games are actually beneficial to humans, they improve eyesight reponse to contrast levels ^^, well something like that....

Anyways youtube is a great source of how crazy video games are making young children today (sad story)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Why are you all just commenting about Bioshock anyway?

Because it's proof that you're wrong, violent games aren't "evil". Bioshock teaches a valuable moral lesson about making the choice between what is right and what is easy, and in the end you're rewarded for doing what is right.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

It's tough convincing people to stop being slaves, but some people can't be convinced no matter what. Forgive me folks, game's are good for us - its just so very mysterious, because I haven't seen a shred of evidence of that being the case, but there are thousands of ruined lives because of games. And I'm the one who doesn't get it? They've got you all within a game, within a game, its quite sad.

Off to be slaves within a system within a system huh folks? Emotionless to reality by every hour played. A land of violence, horror, and pedophilia. Have at it people. Just don't shove it down our children's throats, oh wait... TOO LATE.

LOL, Im a slave to my job, that cracks my health too, and no one complains. Should I make a thread stating that working is bad, and heres why? Id probably have better acceptance than you. LOL a "land of violence, horror, and pedophilia" are you reading yourself? I told you already, you must have some issues with games, or simply a cake mind, go find some help, therapy can help you.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

It's tough convincing people to stop being slaves, but some people can't be convinced no matter what.

It's funny you say this, because that's exactly what Bioshock is about. Remember that whole, "A man chooses, a slave obeys" part?

Are you sure you've actually played this game and not just read a wikipedia summary on it?

Forgive me folks, game's are good for us - its just so very mysterious, because I haven't seen a shred of evidence of that being the case,

Then you might want to go back to my earlier posts in this thread where I posted links that showed how games improve brain function, or are you just ignoring those? I'll post a few again just to make sure you see them,

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.businessweek.com...

www.psychologytoday.com...

discovermagazine.com...

I can find more if you want me to.

A land of violence, horror, and pedophilia. Have at it people. Just don't shove it down our children's throats, oh wait... TOO LATE.

No one's shoving it down children's throats, children under the age of seventeen can not buy 'M' rated video games without a parent with I.D. present. If a parent buys an inappropriate 'M' rated game for their child, then that's just bad parenting and should not be blamed on the game developers or the game itself.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I was in classes for Simulation and Game Design, you ARE aware video games have GOOD qualities as well?
1. Hand-eye coordination
2. Excellent rehab for the elderly (the Wii sports games)
3. Training simulators for different career fields ie military, flight, medical

I can go on and on
BTW I am a hardcore gamer, play WoW, DDO, LOTRO, EVE online, Fallout, etc etc
As a matter of fact, I got WoW running on my laptop, Second Life on my Desktop and ATS on my Ipad

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Do you actually read what you write before you hit the submit button? So now people who enjoy digital gaming culture are "slaves" who are "emotionless" in a land of "violence, horror, and pedophilia"...

What the heck kind of games have you been playing, man?!

I'd much rather have my daughter play Little Big Planet than watch some teen pop star sing about superficial garbage or some reality show about who can be the most promiscuous before contracting an STD. Maybe you come from a different time when it was healthy to have children be involved in pop-culture. Now days, video games are the healthier alternative to contemporary media and society.

Tell me which video games make high school girls get those tramp stamp tattoos on their lower backs? Which video games cause kids to get drunk and drive into telephone poles? Which video games teach kids to bully others in school? Which video games teaches adults to steal taxpayer money and still get fat corporate bonuses? Which video games teaches racism and overall bigotry (aside from EA Sports NASCAR Racing)? Which video game teaches child abuse and other forms of domestic violence? Which video game teaches our politicians to send our innocent youth to go kill other innocent youth? Which video game teaches rural men to have relations with sheep? Which video game teaches people to act better than others and to have overall crappy personalities?

None.

Which games teach people hand-eye coordination, how to read, how to perform math, how to be creative, how to deal with goal oriented tasks, etc?

Almost all of them.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
as a matter of fact, games like madden,nba,nhl, etc all teach sports tactics

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Video Game haterz, please continue to ignore the post from the MIT graduate who will stake his life on video games contributing to his cognitive development (i.e. myself)

I learned to read (at the age 2, mind you) in order to read the text in The Legend of Zelda. I was playing math games on the computer in pre-school that other children had no idea how to use.

Once again, my parents taught me the value of life in this universe. Once again, it should take more than polygonal entrails for me to forsake my humanity, dignity and compassion.

Maybe some of the more recent, pandering drivel (akin to hollywood blockbuster movies) is not as positive to the brain, but there is plenty of old and new stuff alike that builds math skills, reading, imagination, interest in mythology and culture, instills work out habits (Dance Dance Revolution), etc etc

Play Earthbound with an open heart and an open mind and tell me that video games cannot be art.

Just like in any medium, there is immense beauty and immense repugnance across its spectrum.

I'm also pretty sure that most of the people that have had their atrocities blamed on video games did not play much more than FPS games, which are truly among a lowest common denominator game type/concept. For every handful of out of context violence you can spring against video games, I can provide you a hundred earlier generation games that could only inspire wonder and build imagination/curiosity in a child, a thousand handfuls of abject horror, degradation, and infinitely more realistic and palpable violence in other forms of media, and an uncountable number of atrocities performed by armed servicemen around the world at the behest of people too old to have ever touched console games.
edit on 4-7-2011 by megawattboss because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-7-2011 by megawattboss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Any addictive product being sold to children is not alright. Lets not even get into obesity issues video games can cause. Because you know, it's better to play madden or nba live to learn hand eye co-ordination than get off their fat behinds and play for real.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Any addictive product being sold to children is not alright.

Just because some people who use a certain product lack self-control doesn't mean the product is addictive. By your logic anything could be considered addictive from chocolate to television.

Lets not even get into obesity issues video games can cause.

Video games do not cause obesity, lack of self control and overeating do.

Because you know, it's better to play madden or nba live to learn hand eye co-ordination than get off their fat behinds and play for real.

The same argument could be made for sports movies, and you know it's a lot of fun to "get off your fat behind and play for real" when it's storming outside.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I'd rather be fat and a math genius (I'm only one of these things btw and I play the hell out of video games, hint: it's not fat) than athletic, without imagination and in remedial courses.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

The lives that were ruined because of games would likely have been ruined by some other means if games weren't around (drugs, etc).

Video games were a big part of my youth and continue to be part of my life. I'm a normal, 24-year old Christian and college graduate who graduated Summa Cum Laude with a degree in accounting. I've played plenty of violent games in my life, from Fallout 3 to Grand Theft Auto.

It is the parent's responsibility to:

1. Know what their kids are doing.
2. Teach their children the responsibility between right and wrong, fantasy and reality.
3. Be an important force in their children's lives.

My mother was all these things and more, and I think I turned out ok.

I never understand the argument against video games which many movies show much more intense depictions of violence and sex with real people (not pixels). Games are a stress-relieving avenue, in my opinion. I would much rather a person take their stress out on a video game character than a real-life human.
edit on 4-7-2011 by ffman because: Added info

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

I don't know,... My son played a lot of those games growing up. He learned great problem solving skills. He worked for Google in SF for two years after graduating SFSU. Now he's quit his job on good standings and starts at SFU School of Law next month.

To me, I see no problems with them. But people said the same thing about The Three Stooges, The Simpsons, and comic books... Weak people will always be susceptible to outside influences.

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join