It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

police "mistook" handicapped teen-ager's speech impediment for "disrespect," so they Tasered,

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Oh stop people... it's just a "few bad apples" /sarcasm

I am so sick of seeing these types of stories. If these police are so freakin stupid that they can not stop and listen to citizens who are trying to tell them what is going on with the people they are trying to arrest.. then screw em. They deserve what they get. I only wish this had happened in my neighborhood, I would have went to jail with the kid and shown these cops what resisting arrest is, what assaulting a police officer is, and exactly what disrespect is. For you cops that actually try to do a good job and treat people with respect... now is the time for you to stand up, speak out and get clowns like this kicked out of law enforcement or at the very MINIMUM bring media attention to your department for keeping clowns like this employed. If you are not doing this, YOU are part of the problem and you deserve what you get.

Fact is, "disrespecting a police officer" is not against the law. The fact is, the kid committed no crime at all hence this police officer had no reason to stop him and question him to begin with. As a matter of fact, I just got finished "disrespecting a police officer" and I'm not in jail. I walked up to the corner store. There was a Sheriff there. As we passed each other I said hello and asked him how he was doing. He looked at me like I was some little peasant and kept on walking. So I said, "Im doing good, f*** you too". Of course he heard me, he asked me what I said and my response was "nothing you can prove" and I kept on walking.

All I can say is people better choose sides. There is a line being drawn in the sand between the general public and law enforcement.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
One word...prison.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Last I checked I had the right to tell a police officer off and be as disrespectful as I wanted without being brutally attacked by them. As long as I'm not resisting arrest or getting physical I have every right to expect it as well.

It sickens me hearing about cops all over the US daily abusing their powers, the good ones really need to clean house or they shouldn't be surprised when people such as myself call them all corrupt. They can't even keep their own house clean yet I'm suppose to believe they're going to be able to protect the citizens?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
OK, maybe I'm making a mistake but I'm posting as if this were true top to bottom. I realize that the truth does probably lie somwhere in the middle and that my response will change as the truth comes out.

In all honesty if I watched the situation unfold as described and it was my child, my wife would be videotaping the incident and that bullet proof vest wouldn't do him a da** bit of good. Yes judge jury and executioner all in one single round. Then I'd take my chances with a jury. Someone has to take a stand eventually.
edit on 30-6-2011 by RichardA because: clarification.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is really sad... really sad indeed.
If another police officer with a soul sees something like this STOP YOUR PARTNER or any other police officer you see is abusing his/her power.

You swore to protect and serve the public and that child is not only a minor, not only has a speech impediment and is mentally handicapped but he is also an innocent civilian you SWORE TO PROTECT AND SERVE...

STOP backing your partners, or other police officers just because they are police officers and ENFORCE THE LAW with JUSTICE and COMPASSION for innocent civilians.

Yes there are criminals in the streets, but stop acting as if ALL civilians are "possible criminals"...
edit on 30-6-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Suggestive of Causing Harm/Contamination to Food Consumed by Officers: Quote: butcherguy I know what I'd like to do to their donuts. Oh, if I only worked at a donut shop! (Meant to be funny but then again it's got stars out the whazoo....)

I must humbly disagree with the 'stars out the whazoo', part of your post.

That post did not get a single star yet. I think that is good, because I was just kidding, I wouldn't do that if I worked in food service.

Now my post where I said "pith on them", that did get a couple of stars.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437

Originally posted by YourPopRock
reply to post by MustangDesigns

I will repeat a post I have unfortunately had to make before...

The only good cop is a dead cop.

How about

The only good black man is a dead black man?
The only good Muslim is a dead Muslim?
The only good homosexual is a dead homosexual?
The only good liberal is a dead liberal?
The only good Republican is a dead Republican?

This is an example of the RAMPANT hypocrisy in these threads. Apparently YourPopRock is the final arbiter of life and death and will apply judgement, without trial, and execute those he deems to have acted as the final arbiter of life and death and who have applied judgement without trial and have executed someone.

CLASSIC!!!!
edit on 30-6-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

Actually, I have a disabled son. If this happened to him I would kill each and every one of the cops involved without any mercy what so ever. Law be damned.

I am sick and tired of watching police declare themselves judge jury and executioner over and over again. Someone needs to clip the wings of these over grown hall monitors.

And to SFA... clearly you are/were a cop... otherwise you wouldn't get so butthurt about all of this. Now do you fall into the good cop or bad cop category?
edit on 6/30/2011 by YourPopRock because: I forgot to get down on Friday.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Yes, there's definitely something wrong here. The people are powerless and the cops are being trained to handle "domestic terrorists". This is the Totalitarian (Utopian) NWO Police State TPTB have in mind for us. Make no mistake about it. George Soros served the Nazis, and why would he be different when he's 76?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
I understand what you are saying...and it isn't fair to paint all of them with the same brush...which I don't think everyone is doing. Maybe if more police officers admonished some of their coworkers for very unprofessional conduct, they would be more inclined to listen to their peers? After all its you guys who will have to bear the brunt of all the animosity and hatred towards leo's.

In my career I ensured that 19 people who were unsuited for the job didn't get the chance to abuse anyone. I did my part

I also vote- in every election that comes up in my town and state. I support candidates who have similar views to mine and assist in campaigns.

Stating that people should contaminate an officer's food or kill them on sight is a bit much IMO and is the hypocrisy I refer to.

Originally posted by apacheman
The difference is that most blacks, gays, women, men, etc. don't have the power to kill, injure, or imprison us with impunity, and most don't.

With exception to the last word, imprison, yes they do and no they don't. How do you find that black folk, gay, women and men are somehow under some metaphysical geis that keeps them from killing or injuring you and that only police officers do?

That was sarcasm but saying MOST cops do these things is over the top. NYPD has 35,000 or so officers. maybe 100 per year are arrested and convicted for misdeeds. Even if we increase that by a factor of 100 and assume that 10,000 officers per year are committing misdeeds that is still far from "most"

The job by it's nature and power it confers must be judged more strictly than others, and must be held to a much higher standard than most.

No argument there and something I drilled into my rookies heads. If Joe Sixpack kills someone then it's "Murder on 4th Street". If a cop kills someone (unlawfully) then it is "Cop Commits Murder".

Some leos lie. Some leos steal. Some leos kill.

As does every single other segment of society. Doctors, lawyers, community activists...

Our problem is that all leos look the same to us...we can't distinguish a good one from a bad one by sight alone; I sincerely wish we could.

And all civilians look alike to cops and we can't distinguish a good one from a bad one by sight alone and I wish we could too.

So when we see one that violates our sense of right and wrong, and other leos leap first to his or her defense and tries to find justifications (some fairly extreme) for the behavior, it looks to us like none respect us.

Even if 95% of cops were respectful, polite, and never, ever violated citizen's rights or intentionally harmed people they didn't like, we would be pretty stupid if we acted as if they were 100% clean. More to the point, it simply isn't safe to trust a cop not to cause you harm, or that their behavior is going to be rationally predictable. For the average citizen, cops are far more dangerous than criminals are. The chances you will be accosted by a criminal to your detriment are far lower than your chance of a negative interaction with a cop.

Dude- saying more people are killed, raped, robbed etc. by police officers than by criminals is beneath you. I know you're WAY smarter than to state that. I understand this is an emotional topic but that is just... wow...

Now I will say that 100% of no organization is perfect. AFAIK the last man who came close to being perfect was nailed to a tree around 2000 years or so ago. To try and achieve perfection is what we should strive for as a species but it will never be attained. Nature isn't perfect and as such none of her creations can be. What we should do is minimize the risk of imperfect behavior through training, oversight and most importantly societal norms.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
There needs to be a new law in place that polices the police officers. And the rule of thumb should always apply to a TASER as a GUN. If you intend to point and shoot the taser, you treat it the same respect as if you are pointing your gun! WOULD YOU MR. OFFICER, POINTED YOUR GUN AT THIS STUDENT AND PULLED THE TRIGGER? Tasers are not COMPLIANCE weapons, they are NON LETHAL alternatives to your GUN!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Let's take a chill pill for a second and see some practical points:

1) These officers seem to be wrong fundamentally. Even if they are not wrong, however, their actions went across the line of force.

2) The case against the boy was rightfully dismissed. This shouldn't be ignored because in a lesser system they would not accept being told they are wrong and would steamroll him anyway.

3) The legal case against the officers is the perfect remedy for serious breaches of rights, force, and protocol. Additionally, it seems the case is ongoing.

4) Some people, even cops, make mistakes, and some are just brute idiots who have no business wearing a badge. This type of incident should not be taken lying down and it is not, so the system seems to be working so far and lets hope it ultimately finds for the family.

5) This is not indicative of "cops are bad" or a "police state". There are plenty of real examples of the latter, but it's a hard case to be made for the former.

Peace
KJ

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I am fed up of seeing threads on ATS moaning about police brutality in the US. Try living in the UK where law and order is going down the drain! The police here are too sacred to do anything because they keep getting sued by the criminals. I can live with a couple of police injustices now and again if it stops hoodies from running around stabbing old people.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

Man to man for assaulting your disabled son... yeah that I can roll with.

Saying I should die, my wife should be widowed and my son orphaned simply because of my job without my having committed any crimes and/or abuses is what I am addressing. That is what your OP stated.

As for good cop / bad cop?

I'd say even the guys I've arrested would say I was a good cop. Matter of fact a few of them have.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

Allow me to begin to make the case for the former "Cops are bad" with this... Police Corruption

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Yawn,and i mean no disrespect for it.
But seriously,who hasnt become numb by all these stories?

I read the title,and it wasnt a shock,just on par for the times.
I can only believe its going to get worse,and the idea the "masses" will rise up,isnt going to happen.

Pray for a comet,asteroid or whatever natural disaster,cause this planet needs a reset.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

That is good then.

That being said, when the other officers witnessed the attack on the disabled child (because that is what it was) they should have done everything in their power to protect the boy (they too had tasers and guns didn't they? They could have stopped the psycho that was tasering the boy).

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Why do these threads always get the biggest hits and why do people act like all cop's are corrupt or bad? It's more like %90 are good and the remaining %10 are the misfits, but they are spread across the country. Cops are trained to handle pressure and staying calm in tense situations. Any cop who loses their cool because of WORDS, indeed should not be a cop for they are at risk of causing serious problems with whole community's.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SelfSustainedLoner
Why do these threads always get the biggest hits and why do people act like all cop's are corrupt or bad? It's more like %90 are good and the remaining %10 are the misfits, but they are spread across the country. Cops are trained to handle pressure and staying calm in tense situations. Any cop who loses their cool because of WORDS, indeed should not be a cop for they are at risk of causing serious problems with whole community's.

Kind of the same way that 90% of muslims are good and the other 10% strap bombs to kids and blow stuff up.

Does that mean we should not take up arms against the 10% bad to protect society?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Allow me to begin to make the case for the former "Cops are bad" with this... Police Corruption

Just to clear things up, I said this is not indicative for "Cops are bad". I also don't think you can build that case, because as many examples as you can bring, one can easily compare that to the number of police that exist in this nation and have over the period of time your examples cite from (which is a lot).

If you need to blame something, blame legislation, the courts, the American people, to name a few, as much as the cops themselves and in general. I'm no fan of the cops (and never have been, especially being Libertarian) for the very things I listed in the previous sentence have caused.

In my mind, a case can more easily be made that enforcers enforce what they are tasked to enforce. What they are tasked with enforcing is more damaging than any number of examples you could provide, so I feel like you'd be wasting your time and concentrating on the wrong thing.

Peace
KJ

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SelfSustainedLoner

Kind of the same way that 90% of muslims are good and the other 10% strap bombs to kids and blow stuff up.

Does that mean we should not take up arms against the 10% bad to protect society?

....Not if it means killing innocent women and children half way around the world to protect "society"

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join