It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michio Kaku: Fort Calhoun Nuclear Power Plant - "Fukushima In Slow Motion"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
In this video from ABC News, physicyst Dr. Michio Kaku speaks of the danger presented by the wildfires encroaching on the spent nuclear waste stored at the Los Alamos National Lab. In addition, he is surprisingly forthcoming concerning the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Power Plant, calling it "Fukushima in slow motion". Some may invoke the dreaded flash in the pan catch phrase of the day saying: "This is nothing but fearmongering".

Is it really?
I submit to you that it is not.
So say we all?

Los Alamos Nuclear Lab: What Are the Dangers?
Physicist Michio Kaku discusses the threat wildfires pose to the government lab.
06/28/2011
abcnews.go.com...

edit on 6/30/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

thanks this_is_who_we_are

i live in Australia, so i have to ask...
1)
is it really BIG in the news??? like the newsreader comments?
+
2)
the last bit was odd...newsreader says JAPAN disaster has disappeared off the news !!!
really???!!!

seeya

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
also noticed KAKU's comment RE: Fukushima...

next year till stabilised ,

and 50 years to clean up....

scary stuff...

seeya

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneR

the last bit was odd...newsreader says JAPAN disaster has disappeared off the news !!!
really???!!!
If you lived in Australia you should know that Fukushima news is extremely scarce in the media here too.
edit on 30-6-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing that clip. So much going on, so much to keep up with.

link   
I really hope that is just fearmongering. But, he may merely be speaking the truth about something that is a very real danger to us.

link   
This guy is currently on a book tour trying to promote himself as usual so of course he's going to say there's a disaster in the making. Helps him sell his books.

He is more of a celebrity now than an actual scientist and has been out of the loop for quite awhile in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneR
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

thanks this_is_who_we_are

i live in Australia, so i have to ask...
1)
is it really BIG in the news??? like the newsreader comments?
+
2)
really???!!!

seeya

The situation at Los Alamos is starting to be reported. The situation at Fort Calhoun has seen brief snippets just recently being reported on The Weather Channel. As for the cable news outlets - I have heard time and again on ATS that it is not being reported. I can not verify this since I stopped watching cable news about a month and a half ago. Can't trust it. Can't really trust The Weather Channel anymore either, but it beats having Lifetime on in the background.

As for Fukushima... It's like it never happened.

ETA: "I have heard time and again on ATS that it is not being reported." This might have sounded as if I don't believe it when I hear on ATS that it's not being reported in the MSM, but I believe that this is indeed the case.

edit on 6/30/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: ETA

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
It isn't fear mongering, he's just letting people know the facts. He clearly states there is time to diffuse the situation. The question is. Are you guys going to freak out and panic, and make the situation 10x worse than it should have been. Or are you going to stay cool and take all the correct measures regardless of the financial losses.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I see where you're coming from. Albeit, I don't think it is in his best interest to lie while out promoting a book. Clearly the situation in New Mexico is a very real danger.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

OBVIOUSLY !!!

but U do not hear the newsreaders saying so....do U???

seeya

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneR

Oh, ok. I misunderstood you, my bad. Yeah, that's a bit weird (and hypocritical?) for the newsreader to actually say it.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
What is this 'fukishima' you speak of (sarcastic) I have not seen anything on the news about fukishima in at least a month?! Seriously only recently have the msm started reporting on the nebraska plants only because too many people were finding out by other means. Its just a matter of time unfortunatly;(

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Thanks ChaoticOrder !

thats all i was saying...

newsreader:
"whats going on at Fukushima, we havent been hearing much???"

seeya

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
What is this 'fukishima' you speak of (sarcastic) I have not seen anything on the news about fukishima in at least a month?! Seriously only recently have the msm started reporting on the nebraska plants only because too many people were finding out by other means. Its just a matter of time unfortunatly;(

I agree. I hadn't heard of it being reported on by the MSM until I heard that many were questioning why it wasn't being reported on. I was very surprised to see it covered on The Weather Channel.

It's sad most people have the attention span of a turnip. Ask your average "everyman" on the street about Fukushima and you'll more than likely get a blank stare. Like it never even happened. Or isn't still happening right now as we speak.

Needless to say, I try to stay indoors as much as possible these days. All that "non-hazardous" radioactivity that 'isn't" making it's way around the globe.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

The situation at Los Alamos is starting to be reported. The situation at Fort Calhoun has seen brief snippets just recently being reported on The Weather Channel.
As for the cable news outlets - I have heard time and again on ATS that it is not being reported. I can not verify this since I stopped watching cable news about a month and a half ago. Can't trust it. Can't really trust The Weather Channel anymore either, but it beats having Lifetime on in the background.

As for Fukushima... It's like it never happened.

I Caught the late SBS (12am) a couple of nights ago (Australia), that was the first time I’d heard it on our local news about the nuclear plant. I heard about it first on ATS.
Flashes of the flooding drama before, but not much else.
As far as Fukishima is concerned our bloke, Nigel Whooly (? I think that’s him) is doing a piece either tonight or tomorrow night, he actually walks around the tsunami area. How close he physically gets to the plant I don’t know, will have to wait and see.

Not much else is reported main steam on either subjects (that I’ve seen personally) which in itself is concerning.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
This guy is currently on a book tour trying to promote himself as usual so of course he's going to say there's a disaster in the making. Helps him sell his books.

He is more of a celebrity now than an actual scientist and has been out of the loop for quite awhile in my opinion.

Now we're bashing Michio Kaku? The man who:

...has published 170 research articles on superstring theory, supergravity, supersymmetry, and hadronic physics[2]. In 1974, along with Prof. K. Kikkawa, he wrote the first paper on string field theory, now a major branch of string theory, which summarizes each of the five string theories into a single equation[citation needed]. In addition to his work on string field theory, he also authored some of the first papers on multi-loop amplitudes in string theory, the first paper on the divergences of these multi-loop amplitudes, the first paper on supersymmetry breaking at high temperatures in the early universe, the first paper on super-conformal gravity, and also some of the first papers on the non-polynomial closed string field theory[citation needed].
Kaku is the author of several textbooks on string theory and quantum field theory.
en.wikipedia.org...

Pahleeeese.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Did catch an article though which says now, some of the residents within a 30-40 mile radius have radioactive urine…

“More than 3 millisieverts of radiation has been measured in the urine of 15 Fukushima residents of the village of Iitate and the town of Kawamata, confirming internal radiation exposure. Both are about 30 to 40 km from the Fukushima No. 1 power plant, which has been releasing radioactive material into the environment since the week of March 11, when the quake and tsunami caused core meltdowns.”

thewatchers.adorraeli.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The Fukushima disaster is mostly out of the news not because of a cover-up (though there certainly was an attempt) but because it is old news. Every time there is an update it does make it out into the mass media. It was in the news each time they raised the radiation output levels... when they declared a full meltdown... again when they declared a melt-through... and each time the radiation meters jumped to deadly levels inside the buildings... and when they increased the evacuation area size... and when they let some people back in to grab what they can... and when they enforced the evacuation area again after that... every time something happens I see it on major news outlets... the way that out media works is after the first week of a major event, nobody cares until there is some sort of update... like when West Coast infant mortality jumped 35% in the weeks after the initial event... light coverage on the East Coast, a lot more on the West (still rather light, but not non-existent)

They never will have a 24 hour Fukushima Nuclear Event News Channel... sorry. I'm not saying reporting has been excellent or even good... but to say it has been out of the media completely is pure ignorance and an attempt to re-hype the story.

As far as the other two events, the same story (roughly) applies... They mentioned them, and if something major actually happens it will get more coverage, then it will "disappear" because most of the people don't really care... anyone that does care and pays attention will see little mentions in the mainstream and better coverage if you go searching.

ETA: As far as the comments about Dr. Kaku's career, he hasn't written any journal quality papers in a dozen years or so. He has more or less moved more into pure fantasy and promoting physics and science in general. I don't believe that becoming a celebrity necessarily takes one "out of the loop" however. I'm fairly sure he still keeps up reading the newest theories and research even if he's no longer writing for that purpose.
edit on 30-6-2011 by TonyBravada because: ETA

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
[The good news is that we no longer store nuclear bombs at Los Alamos, not since WWII]
I don't know about this cat! What is he trying to do, subdue people? Anyone remotely educated would know that we dropped two nukes at the end of WWII and that the process of making one back then was time consuming and tedious. So, lets say we had one or two more....maybe! This to me is dis-info to lull general people into thinking that the situation is not as bad as thought because hey there are no nukes there. I'm no physicist but I'm guessing that the barrels of plutonium are a far greater risk than what we are being told. I know that he gets into the dangers as it progresses but his opening statements seem designed to stop panic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join