It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

88% of Blacks Think Economy Good Under Obama

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by Misterlondon

Hmm what word do you propose people use to describe black people then? Saying black is bad now? Definately can't say "colored" The "N" word is hella hella out of the question etc... How about darker pigmented individuals?? What ISN'T racist now days, is what I'd like to know!

What ethnicity are you referring to when you say "black"??

Jamaicans? Dominicans? Hatians? Africans? African-Americans? The cast of Jersey Shore after they tan? Or do you mean any person of color?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I for one would rather be called black than African-American.
What's an african american anyway? People just assume that all blacks were once from africa? Technically they are, but I think there's a certain point where your great great great aunt's sister's grandma's daughter's history doesn't matter anymore.
I understand the term was coined for racial sensitivity, but common. I think A-A is was more offensive than black.
Black or Jamaican works just fine for me ^^

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD

Hmm what word do you propose people use to describe black people then? Saying black is bad now? Definately can't say "colored" The "N" word is hella hella out of the question etc... How about darker pigmented individuals?? What ISN'T racist now days, is what I'd like to know!

Jamaicans? Dominicans? Hatians? Africans? African-Americans? The cast of Jersey Shore after they tan? Or do you mean any person of color?

I don't think the ethnicity matters since he said BLACK. I think black is a colour, not an ethnic identity.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Hell, I don't even know anymore. I'm assuming *African* Americans, no-one really knows do they? You won't catch me saying "person of color" though.
As far as I'm concerned everyone living (American citizens) in America should be just "Americans", but that isn't good enough for most.
edit on 29-6-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
let the government checks stop rolling in
and see if they have the same opinion.

So African-Americans receive government checks? Government checks are made for and distributed only to African-Americans? Or are you saying 'black" people? If you have natural pigmentation in your skin (melanin) then you receive government checks? How racist can you be man?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Its really not a black or white issue. Its where they are getting their info from. When all you listen to is the radio or tv and they tell you things getting better, people believe it because its their only source of news. To say because they are black, they think Obama is doing a good job, isn't entirely true. Yeah there probably is black people that believe this but its mainly because they get there news from the MSM. Except for Fox, every other news source is left leaning. Example, I work with a black guy and he listens to Steve Harvey in the mornings. He thought things were getting better from what he heard on the radio. After I showed him what was really going on, he started to wake up. So yeah race may have some to do with it but its mainly what people see and hear on the news.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonibelle

I don't think the ethnicity matters since he said BLACK. I think black is a colour, not an ethnic identity.

The source he is quoting (you did read it right?) says African-Americans, the OP changed the title to "blacks". Thats like saying "spanish people" WHICH ONES?? All "black" people don't have the same beliefs, we aren't even all from the same country!! But to people like you it doesn't matter huh?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

He's not referring to ethnicity... he's talking about color. Not all blacks are from Africa...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
People like me? What do you know about me?
What kind of person am I, exactly?

Edit: and were we not replying to a post by Misterlondon, not the OP? :S
edit on 29-6-2011 by jonibelle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Hell, I don't even know anymore. I'm assuming *African* Americans, no-one really knows do they? You won't catch me saying "person of color" though.
As far as I'm concerned everyone living (American citizens) in America should be just "Americans", but that isn't good enough for most.

When you assume you make an ass out of U not me. ass- u- me. You are talking about every person with natural melanin and that is RACIST. Your type doesn't know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite, your type just yells "kill muslims".

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Umm, the source *I* was quoting was "Misterlondon" on page 1.

He said:

We can't just use the word blacks to describe black people.. It's very un pc here..

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Oh really? I assumed right tho didn't I?? Mister read-the-article, aren't YOU the one who pointed out that it said "African Americans"?? LOl wow.

Hey and thanks for knowing all about my "type". Freakin racist.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I happen to be African-American so yes, i know. If you don't want to ask me just ask one of your "black" friends

If you don't have any then you are in no position to make any assumptions based on your ignorance. That's like me saying "German, Jewish... who cares they are all white"

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

What's an african american anyway? People just assume that all blacks were once from africa? Technically they are, but I think there's a certain point where your great great great aunt's sister's grandma's daughter's history doesn't matter anymore.
I understand the term was coined for racial sensitivity, but common. I think A-A is was more offensive than black.

A black minister gave a sermon a few weeks ago and referred to black people as colored people several times. None of the black people in the audience even batted an eye.. I once referred to a black co-worker as an African American and he took offense at this and said that neither he, his parents nor his grandparents have ever stepped foot in Africa. I will be glad to call them whatever they want, they just need to make up their mind.

The bad economy has hurt blacks the hardest. I guess their responses were based mainly on their political ideology rather than their financial well being.
edit on 6/29/2011 by Sparky63 because: added comment

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Wookiep

I happen to be African-American so yes, i know. If you don't want to ask me just ask one of your "black" friends

If you don't have any then you are in no position to make any assumptions based on your ignorance. That's like me saying "German, Jewish... who cares they are all white"

Why yes, I do have black friends! My black friends don't get offended at EVERY little technicality because they are not babies. You asked.

Oh P.S: if you said ""German, Jewish... who cares they are all white" ??? I'd say meh, you're prolly right, whatever!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

I can see why he was offended.
It's just a description. I hope the blonde haired girl standing with the two brunette's don't get offended because I describe her by her hair colour.
When someone asks if my boyfriend is white, i don't snap back and say.. "He's HALF CROATIAN, 1/4 PENSYLVANINAN DUTCH AND 1/4 SCOTTISH, actuaaalllyyy"
There's no need for it.
Black people shouldn't mind being called black, African American is unnecessary. Why do people have to be so sensitive?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

If you ever wanted to do any type of genealogy these terms would matter greatly. That is only if you care about your ancestry and their culture of course. Black is a color not an ethnicity, it's a way to put everybody in one bunch. Try telling an Irish person to forget about Ireland and just be "white".

By the way....... Jamaican is an ethnicity. There is Jamaican food, music (reggae), CULTURE and a country called Jamaica. None of that applies to the color "Black". Excuse me for wanting to have my own culture too.
edit on 6/29/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

How many blacks in America actually care about their ancestry, though?
It's so sickening to hear some black people's excuses for some things.
"We were slaves, man!"

*SNIP* you've never done a bit of hard work in your life, compared to slavery. What do you know about slavery? Your parents are 40.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 6/29/2011 by Mirthful Me because: Removed Profanity.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

reply to post by Sparky63

I can see why he was offended.
It's just a description. I hope the blonde haired girl standing with the two brunette's don't get offended because I describe her by her hair colour.
When someone asks if my boyfriend is white, i don't snap back and say.. "He's HALF CROATIAN, 1/4 PENSYLVANINAN DUTCH AND 1/4 SCOTTISH, actuaaalllyyy"
There's no need for it.
Black people shouldn't mind being called black, African American is unnecessary. Why do people have to be so sensitive?

Bravo! Well said.

Edit: and also kudos to your last post, you're on a roll!!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Wookiep

Why yes, I do have black friends! My black friends don't get offended at EVERY little technicality because they are not babies. You asked.

Oh P.S: if you said ""German, Jewish... who cares they are all white" ??? I'd say meh, you're prolly right, whatever!

PLEASE DO THIS!!!

Have one of your black friends read page one and two of this thread and ask them what they think about it. Please do, then post their reply. The original post and the title are very derogatory and demeaning.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join