It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News.. Brownsville Levee Near Cooper Nuclear Plant in Nebraska Just Broke! Here We Go !!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackStar99

Yup, all of my threads go Poof within a very short period of time. Look under search I guess. Sorry.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
So, guys, whats the latest ?!
CNN showing some crap about Barry Manilow, and no other news channels, are saying anything yet as well.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

Thanks So much for the help. I tried to do an edit, but it said that I exceeded the 4 hours limit. It hasn't even been 2. Oh well, I tried. One of my best threads is sitting in Skunkworks! Maybe you would like that one too. It's about the flooding in this same area but from April. Anyway it went directly to skunk but has 85 replies and a number of flags too. Stay Safe

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99
How comforting. Especially to the families of all the children that died at Chernobyl from being out in the black rains, all the families of the people who die to leukemia and bone cancers and other cancers because of the "unfortunate mistakes" of this noble industry. Tell me, friend, when I breathe in my particle of plutonium from Fukushima, and get lung cancer in 2022, where is my legal recourse or recompense? How can I even prove what killed me let alone punish anyone for it?

Nuclear contamination -- the perfect murder.

The Fukushima and Chernobyl reactors were not modern reactors, and neither were following proper safety procedures. If any type of power plant ignores proper safety procedures there's going to be an accident that kills a lot of people.

For example see the several oil spills that have occurred in the past few years.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

Edit: With modern reactors it is incredibly difficult to have a meltdown. If anti-nuclear activists hadn't stopped the construction of new nuclear plants, we could have started moving ahead to the current generation of nuclear reactors rather than relying on less safe obsolete reactor technology like the nuclear plant in Nebraska that this thread is discussing.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
The Fukushima and Chernobyl reactors were not modern reactors, and neither were following proper safety procedures. If any type of power plant ignores proper safety procedures there's going to be an accident that kills a lot of people.

For example see the several oil spills that have occurred in the past few years.

Edit: With modern reactors it is incredibly difficult to have a meltdown. If anti-nuclear activists hadn't stopped the construction of new nuclear plants, we could have started moving ahead to the current generation of nuclear reactors rather than relying on less safe obsolete reactor technology.

I think you accidentally posted in the wrong thread. This is not about Fukushima or Chernobyl or oil spills. It's about the levee breach on the Missouri River in Brownville, Nebraska.

Don't be embarrassed-- it could happen to anyone!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8520c388a0a7.jpg[/atsimg]

link   
reply to post by new_here

I was responding to another poster, you might have missed the quote that took up half my post. Or do you attack me for being off-topic instead of him because he agrees with you, even though he's the one who brought it up?

link   

Originally posted by Observer99 Tell me, friend, when I breathe in my particle of plutonium from Fukushima, and get lung cancer in 2022, where is my legal recourse or recompense? How can I even prove what killed me let alone punish anyone for it?

Where is it if you get it from all the radon that is in the air and rain pretty much everywhere, every year from coal plants?

Why would Fukushima mark the beginning of your concern? After all, nuclear has a long way to go before it catches up to the cancer count from coal plants and their emissions.

At least with nuclear, it requires a dramatic failure and is not at all an accepted part of standard operating procedure.
edit on 24-6-2011 by 11andrew34 because: homonym, rephrasing.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Part of the problem is the no-fly zone over the general area. If we had pictures it would go a long way to either confirm or disprove what the gov't is telling everyone.

Can you imagine if there was a news black out with Katrina. Up until two days after Katrina, the official response was everything was ok.
edit on June 24th 2011 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
www.denverpost.com...

This dispels several of the rumors circulating about this event,

www.oppd.com...

These articles are no longer current as they were written before the levee broke.

Things can change quickly, and there is no way to know what has happened now that the levee broke. I have not see any official statements regarding this situation yet, so I am waiting for more current information.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I took the liberty of properly scaling the actual fallout map from Fukushima, reversing it horizontally (for probable easterly direction as the most likely) and applying it for Cooper nuclear plant. Here you go:

Note that doesn't even take into account the likely contamination on the other side (where at Fukushima it fell into the ocean) and of course the contamination down the river, as well as to the east from rainfall etc.

What a wonderful, idyllic world nuclear power creates for us! We didn't really need those 4 states anyway! And for citizens of Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines, Topeka and Kansas City who are inside the high-contamination zone -- just remember, nuclear power was worth it.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Observer99 because: (no reason given)

link   
Does anyone have any more updates on this incident?
I can't find anything on the net except for what has been discussed in here! And the news media isn't showing anything either!

link   
Here we go, ready for chaos everyone? WTF? I live 2 states directly east of the plant.
I hope everyone is okay, great post OP.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
It's on CNN now:

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
The info I posted here was already posted on page 2. Sorry.
edit on 6/24/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: behind the times

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy

Originally posted by davidgrouchy
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7be34952bdb8.png[/atsimg]

This is a screen grab off of the NOAA website.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/546a35eb4ab5.png[/atsimg]

The dip in river level at Brownville is much greater than originaly projected.
I can only surmise that the level breech is rather large.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/54732784d0c7.png[/atsimg]

The trend is still draining the river level down,
just not as fast. To me, this indicates that
the levee breach is as wide as it's going to get.

That's still a massive amount of water drained out of the river for just 2 hours though.

David grouchy

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

U.S. nuclear regulators say two Nebraska nuclear power plants have protected critical equipment from the rising waters of the Missouri River even though flooding has reached the grounds of one of them.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is confident those safeguards will prevent a disaster at either plant even though the Missouri is expected to remain flooded for several weeks, NRC spokesman Victor Dricks said Thursday.

"People are getting scared by a lot of the misinformation," Dricks said. "It's primarily coming from Internet bloggers rather than the mainstream media. None of them have bothered to check with us."

www.cnn.com...

Happy?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
the levee break seems to be the real deal to me www.wowt.com... from the link

At 9:21pm Thursday, a levee on the Missouri River faied 3 miles north of Brownville, Nebraska, causing flash flooding of areas near the levee failure.

Emergency Management officials are urging people in the Missouri River flood plain west of I-29 in Atchison County to evacuate to higher ground as soon as possible.
seems the US just can not get a break
edit on 24-6-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

I trust CNN about as I trust a robber to pay me back with interest.

I'm also not too comforted since TEPCO assured all of Japan and the rest of the world that "all is well." Give it a few weeks before you believe anything either way

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

No, I'm not happy. Companies will spin ANY event in the light most favorable to them. As for the gov't saying everything is just fine - if that was true they wouldn't have people in the plant.

They aren't going to talk about any risks until THEY DECIDE it's in the public's best interest to disclose those risks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join