Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Canada Post Lock Out

page: 2
10
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
edit on 23-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: off topic




posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds
 


Well the first offer they got was real good considering the state of the economy.My wage in five years has only increased $4.00 thats with a promotion and our negotiated 2.5 % annual raise. Oh yea and those of you with calculators out some of it goes into pension or benefits.
edit on 23-6-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stingray77

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Originally posted by Stingray77
$23.31/hr - I'll take that job. Keep the union. Spoiled brads.

www.glassdoor.com...


Do you really think that is that high of a wage, in terms of cost of living?

After taxes, in most cities in canada that will do little more than pay the bills for an average family.

Not to mention that higher wages ensure a robust economy, while lower wages ensures stagnation.


Yes I do ! I think its high enough. I have friends, who are loading trucks for 11.30/hr - and consider themself really happy. And it took me over 7 years to get to my wage of 28+/hr with flawless performance . . . we don't have a union . . . but 23$ to start - hell yeah I'll take that job, so does thousands people in Canada.


Exactly. You will take that job because it is a good pay. And then, instead of supporting them, you seem to think they should be knocked down a few pegs to a level you yourself find objectionable.

This is called 'divide and conquer'. The plebes at the bottom of the pyramid rushing to pull each other down instead of working together to pull the guys at the top down a few notches.

It is a tactic employed by the rich and powerful, and one Harper is testing the waters of right now in terms of public opinion. He is betting most the public feels as you do.
edit on 23-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by incrediblelousminds
 


I'm just saying in this unstable economy there demands are unreasonable.


Are they? Which aspects of their demands strike you as unreasonable?

Thanks in advance for your gentle guidance.

'
As far as I know, the only problem current Canada post workers have is "to accept rollbacks on new hires to “protect” the rights and benefits of existing workers" correct me if, I am wrong, but isn't what the unions are all about ?! Seniority anyway ?!



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds
 


Well most other places are having a wage freezes because of the bad economy .Lets face it they deliver the mail. How much does a mail man need to make $45 dollars an hour Oh yea and the $23.00 to start thats only the salary the total package must be around $35.00 or so.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
So I want to know why people are so incensed when your average worker wish to earn a decent wage, and yet when the company execs are given 30 and 40% raises, I don't hear the same argument back.

I don't understand how people don't note that lots of money given to one person ain't going to help your economy or your community.
You think the execs vacation in their home country?

Many people making a decent wage benefits all.
I see the MSM is doing its job.
And all the flipping commentators who have replaced journalists.

This lockout does mean something to us all, union or not. To the future of the quality of jobs, where ever we live.

By the way, Harper licked Bush's ass better than he's lickin' Obama's.
Some of the premiers are still slippin' the tongue to George and the gang.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I just think in the future world there will be garbage men making $400.000.00 and a doctor making $100.000.00. Just think about how ridiculous that sounds. I went through 5 years of school for $25.50 .There test is to remember postal codes on a sheet my friend did this test he is now a mailman making ridiculous money for what he does. Some people at the post office make more than $23 an hour to sweep the floor.
edit on 23-6-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
edit on 23-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: off topic


Thanks for setting an example.

You are right and I removed my posts as well for being off topic.

Jude11



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
I just think in the future world there will be garbage men making $400.000.00 and a doctor making $100.000.00.


With comments like that it is getting more and more difficult to believe your claims of being in a Union yourself. A Union member bad mouthing living wages and collective bargaining?



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stingray77

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by incrediblelousminds
 


I'm just saying in this unstable economy there demands are unreasonable.


Are they? Which aspects of their demands strike you as unreasonable?

Thanks in advance for your gentle guidance.

'
As far as I know, the only problem current Canada post workers have is "to accept rollbacks on new hires to “protect” the rights and benefits of existing workers" correct me if, I am wrong, but isn't what the unions are all about ?! Seniority anyway ?!



No.


The Crown corporation says the main sticking point was the union's demand for staffing levels beyond the capability of Canada Post, adding that wages were not the key disagreement. The union has been emphasizing working conditions and safety issues, as well as arguing that new employees would receive inferior wages and pensions.


www.canadianbusiness.com...



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
No means to "hijack" this thread, but I see a lot of negative posts about PM Harper.
What exactly he have done wrong ?!

With his MINORITY government - he promised to lower a tax by 1% - he did ( I know 1% is nothing, but when you buy a house a house its counts for something).

Liberal government did nothing but raised the taxed, even then they SWORE they would not do that (I talking about province of Ontario and PM McGuilty).

So for whom the "average Joe" would vote ?! Liberals ?! Or Jack, of whom nobody (majority) never heard of . . . or maybe Quebec fascist guy whatever his name is ?! Harper, for the majority of the population - was ONLY ONE logical choice.

P.S. I WILL NOT get in a political debate here, just asking your opinion. Thank you !



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby
So I want to know why people are so incensed when your average worker wish to earn a decent wage, and yet when the company execs are given 30 and 40% raises, I don't hear the same argument back.

I don't understand how people don't note that lots of money given to one person ain't going to help your economy or your community.
You think the execs vacation in their home country?

Many people making a decent wage benefits all.
I see the MSM is doing its job.
And all the flipping commentators who have replaced journalists.

This lockout does mean something to us all, union or not. To the future of the quality of jobs, where ever we live.


Exactly. And yet here we have supposed Union members in this thread badmouthing the modest gains enjoyed by the employees of Canada Post, a business essential to many, many people in Canada, including small businesses.

I dont belong to a union. I dont really have too much real sympathy for them. But I also find it laughable that anyone who works for crap wages would defend the side of management, who are enjoying massive profits while asking employees to take a pay cut. Sure, if you own a factory yourself, I beta union would be a pain in the arse. But for everyday workers to side with the owners? This is a major shift in the public's attitude, and reflects a ace t the bottom for employees in all sectors.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds
 

This is how spoiled they are I'll give you an example I was renovating my front hall and my mail box was on the floor for a few days my mailman in a letter posted on my mail box stated they would discontinue mail delivery until I put the boxes up on the wall. C'mon I bend over 1000 times a day in my job.And I've got more story's like that if you want to hear them.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds
 


I'm all for people getting a fair wage really I am. I just think some people get paid too much for what they do.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by incrediblelousminds
 

This is how spoiled they are I'll give you an example I was renovating my front hall and my mail box was on the floor for a few days my mailman in a letter posted on my mail box stated they would discontinue mail delivery until I put the boxes up on the wall. C'mon I bend over 1000 times a day in my job.And I've got more story's like that if you want to hear them.


I see. I have a very nice, diligent postman who delivers my mail on time and doesnt kick my dog. So I guess we are a wash as far as anecdotal evidence.

As I've said before, it is not my job to defend the Union or the owners in this thread. I'm more interested in pointing out that I think this is the Harper Government's attempts at Union Busting and testing the public taste for/perception of such moves.

Based on your comments, since you say you yourself are in a Union and yet dont support this particular Union's demands, I'd say public perception is on the side of the Harper Conservative Government.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by incrediblelousminds
 


I'm all for people getting a fair wage really I am. I just think some people get paid too much for what they do.


Well, then you dont support a living wage. You are saying, in essence, that you have a crappy jb so everyone else should to. I dont have much sympathy for the Postal Union, but I also have no reason to begrudge someone a good wage.

And, AGAIN, my contention is with the government locking them out and then threatening to force them back to work. They WERE working before they got locked out!



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds
 


Unfair wage gap example there are government employees paid $100.000.00 + a year just to turn the products around in the grocery store to the french side of the label no joke!!My friends aunt did it.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
Based on your comments, since you say you yourself are in a Union and yet dont support this particular Union's demands, I'd say public perception is on the side of the Harper Conservative Government.


Ok, if this what it was all about - I voted Harper last election too. There. Stone me



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by incrediblelousminds
 


I'm just saying in this unstable economy there demands are unreasonable.


Still wondering...

Which aspects of their demands strike you as unreasonable?



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
And the freaking bottom line, simply - I want my mail. Thats all, why my bills would be sent to collection agency, because, somebody is not happy with they sallary. Not happy ?! Find another job . . .





new topics

top topics



 
10
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join