It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Post Lock Out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Canada Post locked out 50,000 employees and suspended operations across the country last Tuesday following 12 days of rotating strikes. The federal government introduced back-to-work legislation Monday to force an end to the work stoppage. It said it was prepared to limit debate in Parliament so that the law is passed as early as this week. Read more: www.timescolonist.com...

Canada is getting up to speed on the American version of neo conservative anti-labor legislation. After being frustrated it the union's demands, Canada Post decided to lock out their employees, shutting down operation for nearly the entire country. Now, the government (yes, the same one who owns Canada Post and who locked out the employes) are now considering legislation to force the postal workers back to work (and at a lower pay than Canada Post had initially been offering!)

That's right. The government shut out its employees to subvert their collective bargaining power, and now are looking to FORCE those very same employees back to work for even lower wages. Shades of American Republicansim?

It would appear to me that the new Conservative majority Government, led by Stephen Harper, is testing the waters to see how much the general public supports these Unions, as well as the resolve of the unions themselves. Who will win?

What has angered the opposition most about the Canada Post dispute is that the bill sets wage rates that are lower those the Crown corporation last offered to the union. Defending this, Ms. Raitt noted that in 1997 the Liberals introduced similar legislation that included wage rates lower than those offered by management. But NDP MP Libby Davies asserted the legislation acts as a disincentive to going to back to the bargaining table as the wage rate has already been set. “Surely this has been done deliberately to preclude any collective bargaining taking place,” she said.

www.theglobeandmail.com... sec368

www.thestar.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Old news, this happened last week.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm a union man and I think they are spoiled rotten there lucky to get 4+ weeks paid vacation a year. In my profession I get 0 and no sick days no work no pay. They start out at about $23.00 an hour to start my full wage is $25.55 after going through 5 Years of training. And I'm a professional union tradesman.Does that seem fair not to mention my job is dangerous.
edit on 23-6-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

edit on 23-6-2011 by jude11 because: Off Topic

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Its a rotational strike there striking in N.B. now

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Old news, this happened last week.

It did. It is still occurring, as well.

I suspect this is Harper testing out the waters a bit, seeing how the NDP will act as the opposition party. Will they back labour, or will their support fracture off?
edit on 23-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
$23.31/hr - I'll take that job. Keep the union. Spoiled brads.

www.glassdoor.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Stingray77

Unions are not bad but some can be quite greedy beyond there means.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
I'm a union man and I think they are spoiled rotten there lucky to get 4+ weeks paid vacation a year. In my profession I get 0 and no sick days no work no pay. They start out at about $23.00 an hour to start my full wage is $25.55 after going through 5 Years of training. And I'm a professional union tradesman.Does that seem fair not to mention my job is dangerous.
edit on 23-6-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

I cant say I have a lot of sympathy for the Postal Workers Union, although I also dont have any particular sympathy for the management of Canada Post.

What really stinks to me about this is that Canada Post (the government) locked out its employees to subvert their bargaining power, and then the same government may pass legislation forcing these employees back to the same jobs they just locked them out from.

I would think anyone affiliated with a union as you claim to be would be concerned with the precedent this sets.

Wages are being forced down, while cost of living still goes up, and management continues to get pay raises.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The Union I belong to is being systematically dismantled.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stingray77

www.glassdoor.com...

Do you really think that is that high of a wage, in terms of cost of living?

After taxes, in most cities in canada that will do little more than pay the bills for an average family.

Not to mention that higher wages ensure a robust economy, while lower wages ensures stagnation.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

There lucky they can strike and be locked out. In our contract its a no walk out no strike clause in our agreement.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Why should America have a Monopoly on Government thugs?

It's kinda funny that Harper and Obama have been getting all cozy more than any other Prime Minister and President has in the past. And now Harper is using Obama's playbook on Unions.

Umm, "Obama's playbook on Unions'??? How so? I know ATS is all about blaming Obama for everything, but I think you may be thinking of Wisconsin Republican Governor Scott Walker.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

There lucky they can strike and be locked out. In our contract its a no walk out no strike clause in our agreement.

So, because their Union is stronger than yours, you feel they should be knocked down to the levels of pay you yourself find objectionable?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Originally posted by Stingray77

www.glassdoor.com...

Do you really think that is that high of a wage, in terms of cost of living?

After taxes, in most cities in canada that will do little more than pay the bills for an average family.

Not to mention that higher wages ensure a robust economy, while lower wages ensures stagnation.

Yes I do ! I think its high enough. I have friends, who are loading trucks for 11.30/hr - and consider themself really happy. And it took me over 7 years to get to my wage of 28+/hr with flawless performance . . . we don't have a union . . . but 23$ to start - hell yeah I'll take that job, so does thousands people in Canada.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Back to work legislation is nothing new its been going on with Canada post since I can remember 80's. Almoast every time there contract is up they strike no matter what the offer is.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I'm just saying in this unstable economy there demands are unreasonable.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

yes, but dont you think the government locking them out and then forcing them back to work is a bit of a conflict of interest?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

edit on 23-6-2011 by jude11 because: Off Topic

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I'm just saying in this unstable economy there demands are unreasonable.

Are they? Which aspects of their demands strike you as unreasonable?

Thanks in advance for your gentle guidance.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join