It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pulitzer-winning journalist admits he's illegal immigrant

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The funniest part is how he is walking around free now. Would this happen for any other publicly admitted crime?

Image a news anchor telling his audience how he just robbed a bank. Would he be able to plan out the rest of the week with interviews with other news agencies?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
america was founded on that no one should be refused entry. that no one should be denied entry if they so chose too.
because the ideal is a law in this country.

What are you talking about? Can you back this up?

that america is a sanctuary and that if you wish to succeed, to find freedom from oppressions that you recogonize in your country is bad or counter-productive, and you wish to escape, that no one in america will stop you, but provide you with aid and safety.

Asylum? He is from the Philippines. Not really an oppressive and abusive tyranny. Not the best economically, but that is hardly a reason to break the rules and screw over Americans, and other Filipino people waiting in line to legally come here.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

My parents came into the US from Mexico with green cards but stayed after the time expired. They always paid for taxes and even bought a home recently.When I was born they received their papers.

My parents are looking to adopt a kid now that im heading into college and they are very involved with the community. My father helped in Katrina, paid the ticket from LA to the affected area.

What im trying to say is, there are alot of good people out there and there are alot of stupid people who F it up for others.

And I do agree that the US is acting stupid because they need to uphold their laws or fix them so that immigrants can come and go if they have a great background check...and by great I mean every detail!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
What he should have done was have a kid and wait for him or her to turn 18 and get a citizenship that way. For a good reporter, he didn't know how to beat the system...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Seeing as he is high profile, I don't know, I don't watch TV. I'm guessing he makes a really good wage and pays his taxes. So what's the problem?

Drug Dealers make really good wages too. I guess as long as they pay their taxes, no fault found huh.

I get the arguement that this guy is a solid contributor to society and somehow that should be an offsetting factor. I guess I can understand that arguement, since stars and politicians typically get special treatment in this country. I dont agree with it, but it is the way this system works.

I highly doubt anything positive or negative will come of this in the long run. The US Govt doesnt care anything about enforcing sovereignty laws or immigration laws because it shrinks the voter pool. And in this country, votes and money are all that matter. It is as true of American Idol as it is of American Politics.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
He broke the law.

Oh please. If you drive, YOU broke the law today. Unless it's total gridlock from your house to work. That's a lame excuse for bigotry. Yes, bigotry. Of the worst type. On the internet. No balls there. Just type.

So, tell us Super Mod, just where do you draw the line on standard laws that millions and millions have lived by? You wanna be a liberal and say, "Aw, I want him to skate on this issue, but I'll abide by other laws that I think are good and just for society and culture?" So you are an arbitrary bigot?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by aayon35

My parents came into the US from Mexico with green cards but stayed after the time expired. They always paid for taxes and even bought a home recently.When I was born they received their papers.
They should have been deported, and you(as the anchor baby) should not have been given citizenship.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by aayon35

FYI, Green Cards do not expire...
edit on 22-6-2011 by blackrain17 because: Actually you have to renew them.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Wow, a mod not following T&C color me surprised. The guy is a criminal and you applaude him? Gimme a break. Anyhow, ya might wanna fix your post I've been warned and penalized for less.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Ever since Al Gore than Obama got the prize the commission has lost all credibilty in alot of peoples minds. This guy won't become anything in my opinion.

Winning the Nobel Peace Prize today is just saying that your a leftest leaning individual.

He won a Pulitzer for Journalism. Nobel and Pulitzer are two completely different awards. The Pulitzer is a U.S. award for achievements in newspaper and online journalism, literature and musical composition.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Originally posted by aayon35

They should have been deported, and you(as the anchor baby) should not have been given citizenship.

Well, he was born here so he's an American citizen. Racist much?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

Yes, I have the feeling a lot of this hatred is racially motivated. It's the American tradition of hating immigrants despite being a country of immigrants. The Mexicans are the new Irish, who were the new Germans. Unless you belong to a native American tribe the hate is hypocritical.

Thank you for pointing out the difference between Pulitzer and Nobel, the ignorance in this thread is astounding.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I find irony in the Reagan quote in regards to this topic. Anyone remember who opened the floodgates in the first place?

As for the laws, either they need to be enforced or abolished. This wishy-washy way of deciding who stays or goes doesn't seem right. Either people are made to abide by it, or declare it unjust and revise or repeal it.

Most other countries seem to enforce their immigration laws, and in regards to that, we should treat their citizens in a reciprocal manner as to how they treat ours. As a U.S. citizen, it doesn't seem right when we get laughed at behind our backs.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Seeing as he is high profile, I don't know, I don't watch TV. I'm guessing he makes a really good wage and pays his taxes. So what's the problem?

The problem is that he is learned and successful, and yet he still went around our laws to game the system. He has less excuse than someone coming over here that can't speak a word of English and may not know any better. He's known since he was 16 years old that he was here illegally, and yet he never lifted a finger to do anything about it. He just accepted what was given to him, and knew it was wrong. But now he wants to help other criminals...oops...I mean "unfortunate people" like him. How noble.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightworker12
reply to post by PhantomLimb

Yes, I have the feeling a lot of this hatred is racially motivated. It's the American tradition of hating immigrants despite being a country of immigrants. The Mexicans are the new Irish, who were the new Germans. Unless you belong to a native American tribe the hate is hypocritical.

Thank you for pointing out the difference between Pulitzer and Nobel, the ignorance in this thread is astounding.

Ah, after two pages there is finally a flicker of humanity.

I suspect--although I am by and large assuming--that the vast majority of posters in this thread are Americans. My Lord how xenophobic and utterly bizarre you are in your sudden love and proclamation of "The Law". You would on one side decry the law; claiming that it is by small steps removing your liberties, locking you into squirrel cages and ushering in a society based on paranoia and the rise of the Police state.

Then you would have that same fear, that same destruction of liberty (for which your founding fathers applied to ALL mankind), thrust upon people who have risked their lives to live in your "great, free society". It is the very hypocrisy, the absolute lack of credibility and your "take it leave it" stance on the mighty "law" that disgusts those who see the world as a round place and us all as one.

"No great idea in its beginning can ever be within the law. How can it be within the law? The law is stationary. The law is fixed. The law is a chariot wheel which binds us all regardless of conditions or place or time."
Emma Goldman

This man achieved great things thanks to the opportunities afforded him by your country. He has contributed to your country. Quit your whining...it is disgusting.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Oh great!

Now even succesful Latinos are going to be suspect.

Most of you law abiding non-immigrant citizens please be advised; I hope you won't mind a request that you watch these detentions closely, becasue being treated like a criminal sucks when you've done nothing wrong. And that's the fear I have, is that "looking" Latino will soon be another reason police would mentally switch gears and start think in terms of 'perp.' Looking the way you were born should not be a condition of social contact... except when you might be an illegal immigrant.. right? Because you won't find the real ones unless you 'look' for them, right? "Looking Latino" - the latest in a chain of paradigms that all have to single some person out for persecution. Nice.

And now the shocker.

He should be arrested. He fully understands the crime he has been committing and he publicly confessed to the crime. If I were he, (and admittedly, as a Puerto Rican, I have no idea what it means to actually BE an illegal immigrant, although I have been treated as one) I would have made that confession expecting to undergo EXACTLY the same treatment as any other guilty of the crime.

Perhaps, as a successful journalist, he could parley the whole ordeal into a masterfully-worded "Inside the system" peek at what it really means to be an illegal immigrant. He probably would have at least rated a "movie of the week" on Lifetime.

And of course, the network will gain emotional currency from the entire Hispanic portion of our American community if they 'market' this as I presume they will.

By the way, don't think for a minute that were he to be deported, the network will expedite a working visa for him and get him back in hours. These people never really "lose" unless it sells.

Beware the political theater. It will change your mind, whether you want it or not.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
He should be arrested. He fully understands the crime he has been committing and he publicly confessed to the crime.

Actually to all of those saying he should be locked up and deported ASAP. That's not the way it works. Being illegal is not a major offense, some of you may think it should be but it isn't, as in all other non-violent crimes the person is allowed to post a bond until the time of their hearing. Only then will an immigration judge rule if he is to be deported or allowed to stay under a whole bunch of waivers that the judge can use to stay the deportation and allow a change of status.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
An undocumented immigrant such as him should not under any circumstances be deported--
he is a valuable citizen who has learned (very well too might I add) English, and contributes to American society...unlike most people who are actually born in this country. Sure he violated the law, but the law is very erroneous in this case, it makes very little sense to give up a contributor just because they were not born in this country. The immigration laws desperately needs to be made more elaborate, coherent and applicable to reality.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
At the end of the day he is still a crimalien and needs to be prosecuted as such then deported with all assets seized. Funny, as soon as you say something like that the bigot/race card gets played.......I guess crime is o.k. for alot of members on here unless it doesn't fit their liberal agenda.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

He will be prosecuted but that doesn't mean that he'll be deported and I don't think they seize assets in immigration cases.
edit on 22-6-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join