It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pulitzer-winning journalist admits he's illegal immigrant

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Pulitzer-winning journalist admits he's illegal immigrant

www.msnbc.msn.com

A Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who covered presidential politics and the 2007 Virginia Tech shootings for The Washington Post is going on network television to announce he is an illegal immigrant.
Jose Antonio Vargas tells ABC News in interviews airing Thursday and Friday that he is outing himself as one of millions of illegal U.S. immigrants after living with the secret for years. He also told his story in a New York Times Magazine essay published online Wednesday.
"I'm done running. I'm exhausted," Vargas wrote. "I don't want that life anymore."
He referred a request for comme
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This is an interesting story, and as the article goes on, I got the sense that this one man will become the face behind those within our government who want to push forward an immigration reform bill.

Isn't it obvious since the guy is going on TV and has a PR team already?

I agree that something needs to be done in regards to illegal immigration, however the first thing that comes to my mind is that the Government needs to enforce the laws in place, what good are the laws if they aren't enforced to begin with?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Deport him!!!

He's stealing american jobs!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Arrest him while he is on TV and send him for a vacation in lovely Gitmo. After a few years, deport his butt.
edit on 22-6-2011 by sonofliberty1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
yeah deport him set an example that no one is above the law no matter how successful.

the law is the law no man is above them nor any group.

enforce the laws or do away with them either we follow the law or we are nothing.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. " Ronald Reagan

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
So he's illegal, but that didn't stop him from making a living for himself. Nobody should say anything negative about him.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Seeing as he is high profile, I don't know, I don't watch TV. I'm guessing he makes a really good wage and pays his taxes. So what's the problem?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. " Ronald Reagan
That is politically incorrect these days, and if I could I would give you 1,000 stars for it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by D3nyIgnorance

Here's something negative, HE BROKE THE LAW! So just because he is successful he should be above the law?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Similar to the police officer up here (Alaska) who worked for years as a cop and was found out to be an illegal.

Cop outed as illegal immigrant will plead guilty to fraud

-S

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Seeing as he is high profile, I don't know, I don't watch TV. I'm guessing he makes a really good wage and pays his taxes. So what's the problem?
He broke the law. If we allow him to flaunt it, how do we persecute(
) the lettuce pickers in good conscience? Nope, every single illegal must go.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
He broke the law.

Oh please. If you drive, YOU broke the law today. Unless it's total gridlock from your house to work. That's a lame excuse for bigotry. Yes, bigotry. Of the worst type. On the internet. No balls there. Just type.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
Deport him!!!

He's stealing american jobs!!!

Americans don't own jobs you moron.

2nd
edit on 22-6-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
He should be deported and not allowed back. This applies to all illegals.

Likewise, his employer should face serious fines.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Completely agree that we need to start enforcing the laws that are in place. I am so tired of dodging illegals in the Home Depot parking lot. It's obvious the vast majority are illegals and it's embarrassing to feel nervous just going to the hardware store. So many car break ins, acts of vandalism, public intoxication and fights.

Anyone who is arrested should have their citizenship status checked in my opinion. If here illegaly, bye bye.

I think it is very sad that these people have no real prospects in their home countries, but if we let them all come here it's just going to drag us down too. When every American has healthcare, a decent job, and enough food to eat then we should try to help people from other countries.

If this man isn't deported after publicy stating that he has been breaking the law all these years, there is something very wrong indeed and it's a slap in the face to Americans (especially those that obtained citizenship legally).

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Ever since Al Gore than Obama got the prize the commission has lost all credibilty in alot of peoples minds. This guy won't become anything in my opinion.

Winning the Nobel Peace Prize today is just saying that your a leftest leaning individual.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Deport him.

Award winner or not, he broke the law and should be held accountable. And "tired of running"? Puhleeeese! He was in the public spotlight! He wasnt running, he was flaunting it!

People spend years and work hard to get into the USA, why does he think he is special?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
america was founded on that no one should be refused entry. that no one should be denied entry if they so chose too.

that america is a sanctuary and that if you wish to succeed, to find freedom from oppressions that you recogonize in your country is bad or counter-productive, and you wish to escape, that no one in america will stop you, but provide you with aid and safety.

that is what makes america strong. sadly, many people are trying to deny others, what they have no right or power to deny.

because the ideal is a law in this country.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Or you could calculate how much he owes in taxes and offer him citizenship if he pays it all?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Intrepid I always like your posts. Glad to see your still here.

I agree that he probably makes good money and pays his taxes. Only going after the poor illegals isnt fair, just as only ticketing the poor for a broken headlight isn't fair.

If you break the law, you should be punished. Especially if you then flaunt it all over the news.

On the flip side you make a good point. I think the majority of us crying for deportation are really only frustrated with those illegals we deem as a drain on society.

I'm flip flopping like John Kerry
on this one now.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Domo1 because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join