It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Arrest Woman For Videotaping Them From Her Front Yard: (Wait till you see this tape!)

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
the trial may be over but revenge has just begun.

Police are now harassing Emily Good for videotaping them

Source: boingboing.net...

A followup on Emily Good, the woman who was arrested for video-recording a police stop from her front yard: during a neighborhood meeting in support of Ms Good, Rochester Police came out with a ruler and measured the parking-distance of the attendees' cars. Cars that were more than 12 inches from the curb (even by half an inch) were ticketed. Needless to say, the 12 inch ordinance isn't normally enforced with this kind of vigor.

Police Harass Community Members Attending Meeting in Support of Emily Good

Video of harassment: blip.tv...
edit on 6/27/2011 by Cito because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. My brother in law gets pulled over every single time he crosses the Delaware Memorial Bridge. His Chief has spoken to their Chief about it- it's that nonsensical.

The point I was trying to make is that not every stop is based solely on race. In the town where I worked there were about maybe 20 white folk in total. Just about every driver I pulled was black because it was an almost exclusively black town.

These guys in Rochester might be pulling that crap or they might not. Don't know the statistics and honestly don't care enough to go look them up. If the people of Rochester are willing to put up with that nonsense it's on them.

My premise was that I do not think that the officer specifically pulled over some random black dude and somehow forced him to stop directly in front of this woman's house. I think there was just a totality of circumstances that led to this whole fiasco.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
These guys in Rochester might be pulling that crap or they might not. Don't know the statistics and honestly don't care enough to go look them up. If the people of Rochester are willing to put up with that nonsense it's on them.

That is such an odd thing to say for someone that spent so much of two thread chastizing a woman from Rochester for refusing to just put up with it. So the people of Rochester are jerks for fighting back and idiots for just taking it according to you so far. That makes sense.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Not sure if you guys have heard, but her charges got dropped today. Here's the link:

www.democratandchronicle.com...|mostview

There is no excuse for the behavior by the police and their actions after the initial video went viral. Have you see this video of what they (the police)did after they got nationally embarrassed? here ya go:

www.liveleak.com...

They went out and ticketed a bunch of cars at a support meeting for her, for of all things, parking more than 12 inches away from the curb. They even brought along their own rulers! No kidding!, Watch the video! I think every single one of those that received a ticket should take the case to court and fight every ticket tooth and nail...bring the cops in off the street to defend their actions....not that there is any defense.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I am not sure what the laws are for where you all live, but I know Illinois for example is 1 of about a dozen states where it is ILLEGAL to film the police as well as being ILLEGAL to film another person without their consent.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
NVM

edit on 27-6-2011 by SFA437 because: Poster not worth time and/or effort. Troll fail.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HandBanana

I can see the not being allowed to film other people without consent as it stops those upskirt kind of cretins who walk around with flexible fish eye cameras on their shoes but for it to be illegal to film the police is nuts.

95% of cars have dashcams so they're being filmed already and the officers are wired for sound which ties back into the dashcam.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Nice try but you forgot to mention these dangerous fields, same source:

Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting: 575 total/49 violent

Construction: 834/41

Retail trade: 307/170

Transportation and warehousing: 633/57

Healthcare/social services: 123/47

Professional and Business services: 422/62

Leisure & Hospitality: 231/116

For all government (of which police are just a part) so we're comparing apples to apples: 461/115

So I don't see police work as particularly dangerous, especially compared to retail and leisure/hosp...chances are about 50-50 or better in those fields that if you die it will be violent.

Not saying the job isn't stressful and difficult, just that it's a pretty big stretch to claim it's more dangerous than other work. After all, fishermen put their lives more on the line every day so you can eat...they don't get any special bennies for that.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Post the fatality stats for 'retail' then just for laughs post the stats for 'agriculture,'
Your job is not that dangerous (For the cops) All your blue shieleded loose cannons are very very dangerous for taxpayers.

A taxpayer is twice as likely to suffer harm or death at the hands of law enforcement than they are by criminals.
edit on 27-6-2011 by ..5.. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandBanana
I am not sure what the laws are for where you all live, but I know Illinois for example is 1 of about a dozen states where it is ILLEGAL to film the police as well as being ILLEGAL to film another person without their consent.

I have said this like a million times. Only 1 state and even that is being fought at the moment with some big guns. That's Illinois btw.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Originally posted by SFA437

That is such an odd thing to say for someone that spent so much of two thread chastizing a woman from Rochester for refusing to just put up with it. So the people of Rochester are jerks for fighting back and idiots for just taking it according to you so far. That makes sense.

Ah but in the other two threads I was not discussing racial profiling- I was discussing what I originally thought to be a woman interfering with a traffic stop, so there is lie #1.

In regards to the woman videotaping (not her community activism or desire to stop racial profiling but her videotaping)- I learned a little bit, stopped being reactionary, and by applying logic and reason I changed my mind on the subject (of course you fail to mention that). Then again I thought that open discussion and learning was what this site was about and not incessant trolling of another member... guess I was mistaken.

As for the jerks/idiots part of your post.:

I never said either regarding the people of Rochester. There is lie #2

You lie- plain and simple. 2 utter bald faced lies in a 3 sentence post. Nice going there high speed.

You know in the other thread I apologized for misreading your post and explained why I thought the way I did. Why do you feel it necessary to follow me around on this site posting utter untruths about what I say like some lost, starving puppy dog? It's becoming rather pathetic and bordering on desperation to prove some point known only to you.
edit on 27-6-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Just as a reminder this is the power of the videotape:

If cops don't have anything to hide, they should not worry about being video taped.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

The officer who made the BS arrest was not concerned about being on tape. The cruisers had dashcams and he did not interfere with the woman's two companions when they picked up her camera and filmed the rest of the incident.

IMO it was about some badge heavy knucklehead with a chip on his shoulder wanting to "prove a point".

In earlier posts I honestly tried to justify his actions from a police officer's perspective but as time went on it became impossible to do so. The guy is a nutcase and does not need to be in any position of authority where he can repeat his behavior.

Not gonna happen though- the PBA will have his back 100% and he'll be back on the job in a few months more than likely.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Yes I agree, it was not about the camera, but more of a "you will do as you are told" type of situation. Yeap he definitely wanted to prove a point.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Now we just have to hope that the Rochester mayor's office and city council actually do something about the way the department is run.

Between this and the ticketing thing, there are some MAJOR problems up there that are not going to just go away.
edit on 27-6-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Maybe someone needs to put 24-7 citizen enforced surveillance on this mayor see how he likes being under heat of the public. It can be done using a team of three to four people. As long as the surveillance people are on public property then they can film everything and anything. That will definitely get the mayor to change.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Not a half bad idea but I gotta say that sooner or later someone is going to call those doing the taping "potential terrorists" or "potential assassins" and the whole thing would go sideways. Don't want to see anyone get injured- especially for doing the right thing.

Removing him from office with a no confidence vote if he doesn't get his department under control would be pretty awesome though

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

This is why it has to be extremely discrete how regular agents do surveillance. Using miniature cameras and black tinted windows to be extremely obscure. It can most certainly be done. You have two people in a car one 12 hour shift and then that car pulls out and the next 12 hour car takes over.

Just how citizens have neighborhood watch we need to have a public official watch, which is after all part of the neighborhood.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
UPDATE:

Case Dismissed Against Woman Arrested While Videotaping Police
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please go there and read the whole story, comment and whatnot.

Great case.

Apparently this newsflash is not as exciting as just bickering with each other in this thread.

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join