It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Arrest Woman For Videotaping Them From Her Front Yard: (Wait till you see this tape!)

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0vedas0
Very sad video........cop didn't have control of his own emotions, that could lead him to shooting someone on emotion one day, I'd like to see him put on desk duty or transferred to a different state job that does not allow him to carry a firearm.

I brought this up in another thread about a LEO killing an unarmed man in AZ, and your post is apt.

If you shoot and kill a LEO, no matter the circumstances, it's automatic 1st degree murder just because it's a LEO. But if a LEO kills a citizen, even under hokey circumstances the worst he will get is fired, and maybe a short jail term.

As LEO's they should be held to a higher standard than the general public. They've been trained to get control over their emotions in tense situations, it's a big part of the job.

As a psychiatric nurse I was required to take all kinds of verbal abuse from inmates at the state security hospital, and the only time I was allowed to use deadly force was if I felt my life was threatened.

LEO's should be held to a higher standard on the use of deadly force, after all they say they are the experts.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
For anyone who is following the story. Today is the big day. Court.

I saw this interview of her (Emily Good) from yesterday.

You will have to go to the site to watch:

Activist Emily Good stunned by fallout from video

Good said she grabbed the video camera in an attempt to illustrate examples of what she considers racial profiling in the 19th Ward, where she lives. "I see it all of the time," she said.

www.democratandchronicle.com... WS

Just like I said, this is the element that was ignored and the cause of the officers nervous position. He didn't like a citizen catching them in the middle of a "driving while black" stop.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Update:

Case dismissed against woman arrested while videotaping police

Posted at: 06/27/2011 1:37 PM | Updated at: 06/27/2011 1:57 PM
By: Ray Levato | WHEC.com

nullThe case against a Rochester woman arrested while videotaping police has been dismissed.

Early this afternoon, demonstrators rallied outside the Hall of Justice in support of Emily Good who was arrested while videotaping police officers during a traffic stop on May 12 in front of her 19th Ward home.

Good recorded police officers making a traffic stop while standing in her front yard even though an officer asked her to stop and go inside. She was charged with obstructing of governmental administration. Since then, the video from that night has made it onto news shows across the country.

Good’s attorney, Stephanie Stare, had asked for the charges against Good be dismissed. In court today, the District Attorney’s office says based on a review of the evidence, there was no legal basis to go forward. The charge was withdrawn and the judge dismissed the case.

www.whec.com...
As it should be. Now she needs to file a civil suit against the police dept. and the officer.
"No legal basis" means that this was an illegal arrest. Her civil rights were violated. Are all of you defenders of this worthless cop going to apologize now for defending him or are you just going to move on to another thread? Maybe you will still say that he was correct...Whatever, you have lost all credibility in my opinion.
edit on 6/27/2011 by Sparky63 because: toned it down a bit

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

Which is further supported with the cops letting the Driver go.

Caught in the act, if you will.

I bet you the Driver is sure happy she was there.

I wonder if he will be called as a witness in her trial/hearing? hmmm

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright
Just like I said, this is the element that was ignored and the cause of the officers nervous position. He didn't like a citizen catching them in the middle of a "driving while black" stop.

Between the dashcams and audio equipment on the RPD cruiser and officer as well as the officer not bothering the woman's companions who continued recording after the woman was arrested I do not think that that the recording nor observation what initiated the arrest. Everything was ALREADY being recorded, both audio and video, prior to and after the arrest.

Also being that the city as a whole is 50.3% white, 43.2% Black there's about a 50/50 chance of being pulled over if you are black. Then you take into account the 19th Ward is 71.4% black- if a white guy got pulled over that would be racial profiling.

Sometimes cars driven by black folk, in a predominately black area do actually get pulled for something other than the race of the driver ya know

edit on 27-6-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Case Dismissed Against Woman Arrested While Videotaping Police
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please go there and read the whole story, comment and whatnot.

Great case.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Many have suggested that this cop is not suited for the job if he is so stressed out by a woman with a camera that he cannot do his job properly.
This seems to be supported by the comment from the Mayor:

A joint statement issued by Mayor Tom Richards, City Council President Lovely Warren and Rochester Police Chief James Sheppard says they support the decision of the District Attorney’s Office to dismiss the charges against Good.
...The statement continues, “We believe that the incident that led to Ms. Good's arrest and the subsequent ticketing for parking violations of vehicles belonging to members of an organization associated with Ms. Good raise issues with respect to the conduct of Rochester Police Officers that require an internal review. A review into both matters has been initiated.
Police officers must be able to cope with a high degree of stress while performing oftentimes dangerous duties, relying on their training and experience to guide their behavior. As routine as a traffic stop may appear, it has proven over time to be a potentially dangerous activity for police. Nonetheless, police must conduct themselves with appropriate respect for the rights of those involved or who are observing their actions."

www.whec.com...
I don't believe for one moment that he was truly stressed out. He is a bad cop that trumped up false charges against an innocent woman. Is it too much of a stretch of the imagination for a man like this to plant evidence on a suspect? I think not. He needs to find another line of work....maybe dog catcher. That might not be too stressful.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Sparky, I think you are exactly correct on the officer.

He hit the Power Play button...

And it Failed.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I will be emailing him again and tell him how happy I am that the case was dismissed. I will strongly encourage him to resign and take up a less stressful occupation. We don't need cops who are afraid of their own shadow and who have a disregard for individual rights, to carry a weapon and exercise the measure of authority an officer of the law is afforded. It is bad policy all around.
edit on 6/27/2011 by Sparky63 because: added comment

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Here he is. His website indicates he raises/sales these type of dogs.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7e51f7d306b2.jpg[/atsimg]

Tell him we said hello.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437

Between the dashcams and audio equipment on the RPD cruiser and officer as well as the officer not bothering the woman's companions who continued recording after the woman was arrested I do not think that that the recording nor observation what initiated the arrest. Everything was ALREADY being recorded, both audio and video, prior to and after the arrest.

Also being that the city as a whole is 50.3% white, 43.2% Black there's about a 50/50 chance of being pulled over if you are black. Then you take into account the 19th Ward is 71.4% black- if a white guy got pulled over that would be racial profiling.

Sometimes cars driven by black folk, in a predominately black area do actually get pulled for something other than the race of the driver ya know

edit on 27-6-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

Yes the stop was being recorded by dashcam but the video of another camera (the young womans) could paint the incident in a different light. Also dashcam video isn't often released on the internet for all to see.

I'm not implying that the recording by the civilian was solely the reasoning for the officer. It merely played a part even though they may not have done anything wrong.

I would also apply a portion of the cops confrontation to, I'm pretty sure that in the locker room or training room there have been conversations concerning recording by civilians and this officer probably thought he had a sure-fire method of preventing it. His fellow officers wanted to see if his technique worked, thus he wouldn't back-down. I'm sure officers all over the country are brainstorming techniques to deal with civilian recording.

Also, I'm very familiar with racial profiling involving patrol officers. It is a utilized procedure that honest officers readily admit too if asked.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
An intresting decision on the part of the DA.

Either way, the charges were dismissed.

With that I would like to appologize to those involved in the debate. In this case you guys were right and I was in the wrong.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Police officers face conditions everyday where their lives are in danger.

B.S!!! This is such a tired worn out lie.
Look up the OSHA Figures a salesclerk has a more dangerous job than a cop.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Police officers face conditions everyday where their lives are in danger.

I wouldnt bother trying to argue any further. The people in this thread just do not get it, and would prefer to Monday morning quarterback. They still think it has to do with the female recording and apparently nothing is going to change their minds on that.

Time to walk off the field and find the next topic and debate.

This one is dead.

@ the BS tired of this line comment.

Bureau of Labor Statistics - 2009 breakdown

Total number of fatalities for people who work in convience stores - 38 total - 2009 stat
Total number of Police killed in the lin of duty - 96 - 2009 stat

Of those 96 fatalities for Police, 51 of them involved violent encounters (death / assault)
Of those 38 fatalities for Clerks, 33 involved violent encounters (death / assault)

So yeah, being in law enforcement is actually more dangerous than being a store clerk at a gas station.
edit on 27-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I don't get it.

Nope. Not at all.

Apparently it was nothing more than the woman recording, as the charges were dropped.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
I don't get it.

Nope. Not at all.

This nicely sums up the mindset of the posters in cop threads.

They dont get it, not at all.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Also, I'm very familiar with racial profiling involving patrol officers. It is a utilized procedure that honest officers readily admit too if asked.

OK- so in a city that is pretty much 50/50 racially mixed black and white, in a neighborhood that is predominately black- what race should the officers assigned to patrol the neighborhood pull over?

Should they only pull over Inuit perhaps and ignore the way black folk drive? Let the black folk run 130 MPH in residential neighborhoods and run over children and senior citizens because they're black? How about passing a law that only white officers can pull over and arrest white folk, only black officers can pull over and arrest black folk and so on and so forth...

Plus you're saying that in the middle of the night the officer can determine the race of the driver from the side of the road or 30 feet behind the vehicle while traveling at 30-40 MPH. Cops are not Superman and do not have X-Ray vision. Hell I can't tell the race of a driver in front of me in broad daylight at a red light with the tinted windows on just about every car on the road these days

Plus the whole "driving while black" thing is so worn out. I was running radar one night at 2AM on 74-76 (a large 6 lane highway in SE North Carolina) when I noticed a vehicle about outrunning it's headlights. I estimated the speed to be 125 MPH and got a radar lock of 127. The car (a Cadillac STS) blew past me and it took me close to 3 miles to catch up and pull it over. When I walked up to the window, the driver, a middle aged black lady stated- before I even opened my mouth- "You only pulled me over because I'm black!". I replied "Ma'am at the speed you were going I couldn't tell what color your CAR was!".

Of course I only pulled her because she was black- not because she was blasting down the road at 2.5x the posted speed limit. The careless and reckless driving had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it right... since all cops racially profile? I'll say it again- black folk can commit traffic offenses. I know hard to believe but it's true!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

I don't think it was the act of recording per se, as the companions were still filming even after the knucklehead arrested her.

My .02 is he recognized her from a previous encounter as she is an apparently well known agitator with several previous arrests under her belt and he decided to "teach her a lesson". The filming was just an excuse and an attempt to justify it (which makes it 10x worse IMO). If it was the filming at least I could say- well the guy didn't want to be filmed... there would be SOME justification however flawed the reasoning behind it. The way I think this went down was that he was nothing more than a badge heavy a$$hat.

At least that is my conclusion from everything that's been said and the ticketing nonsense post incident.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437

OK- so in a city that is pretty much 50/50 racially mixed black and white, in a neighborhood that is predominately black- what race should the officers assigned to patrol the neighborhood pull over?

Should they only pull over Inuit perhaps and ignore the way black folk drive? Let the black folk run 130 MPH in residential neighborhoods and run over children and senior citizens because they're black? How about passing a law that only white officers can pull over and arrest white folk, only black officers can pull over and arrest black folk and so on and so forth...

Plus you're saying that in the middle of the night the officer can determine the race of the driver from the side of the road or 30 feet behind the vehicle while traveling at 30-40 MPH. Cops are not Superman and do not have X-Ray vision. Hell I can't tell the race of a driver in front of me in broad daylight at a red light with the tinted windows on just about every car on the road these days

Plus the whole "driving while black" thing is so worn out. I was running radar one night at 2AM on 74-76 (a large 6 lane highway in SE North Carolina) when I noticed a vehicle about outrunning it's headlights. I estimated the speed to be 125 MPH and got a radar lock of 127. The car (a Cadillac STS) blew past me and it took me close to 3 miles to catch up and pull it over. When I walked up to the window, the driver, a middle aged black lady stated- before I even opened my mouth- "You only pulled me over because I'm black!". I replied "Ma'am at the speed you were going I couldn't tell what color your CAR was!".

Of course I only pulled her because she was black- not because she was blasting down the road at 2.5x the posted speed limit. The careless and reckless driving had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it right... since all cops racially profile? I'll say it again- black folk can commit traffic offenses. I know hard to believe but it's true!!!!!!

OK, I know you know better than this...

Take for instance my city where it's about 50/50. Racial profiling is very big here as I've been pulled over myself.

Here's how racial profiling happens: I'm returning from some fast food joint down a street that is known for crime. A police is passing in the opposite direction, this officer (I watched from the corner of my eye), eyeballed my car (he was almost out of his window trying to see who was driving), bust a u-turn, caught up with me and pulled me over.

So he wasn't checking for speed, my lights all functioned, there was nothing to tip him off, the only thing he saw were dreads (what the police here look for). He pulls me over and the first thing he asks is do I have any drugs in the car. Didn't even ask for DL or insurance. Asks can he search the car, I tell him yeah cause I was stupid and didn't have any. He does a quick search and tells me have a nice night.

I'll finish this later...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

What did he tell you for the reason for stopping you? Based on your explanation, he didnt even racially profile since there was absolutely no basis for the stop (reasonable suspicion). I am curious to hear more..

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join