It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Let's just say,.. as an example,.. that instead of the sign saying: "seven in heaven" it said: "Allah embraces seven",... or: "Valhalla receives seven"

Do you honestly think the christian majority of this country would just sit by and say nothing?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Islamic extremists are running amok, Christians have overtaken half the political spectrum (hell, you can't even be president unless you ascribe to some form of Christianity), and people are trying to force the teaching of creationism in public schools while our students rank lower and lower academically every year in comparison with students in other countries, and these idiots are mad about a street sign with the word heaven on it? Come on guys, get your priorities straight.
edit on 21-6-2011 by Torgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
It seems any mention of God or godly things makes atheists foam in the mouth. Despite what they say, they are neither open minded nor tolerant of other people's beliefs.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I'm not foaming at the mouth because I am atheist,...

I'm foaming at the mouth because I'M A SERVANT OF THE DEVIL!!!! muaaahhaahhhaahh!!!! LOL!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by coastlinekid
Atheists turn a blind eye EVERY SINGLE DAY...
Every time they pull money out of their wallet...
Every time they pull up behind a car with some religious bumper sticker...
Every time they turn a street corner with ANOTHER church with some sign quoting the bible...
Every time they have to smile in a thankful way for someone "blessing" them...
Every time they read in the news about some tragedy that took lives,.. and hear the old chestnut: "I survived because god was looking over me..."

ALL DAY LONG...

Christians have this country so saturated in their religious iconography and verbiage, they don't even see it anymore... And we non-believers keep our opinions to ourselves 99% of the time ...ON A DAILY BASIS...

Some of us feel the need every now and then to stand up for our right to live without religion SHOVED IN OUR FACE when it comes to state or government money,... that WE contribute to... being used to forward religion...

Face it,... Christians don't play fair because they don't think they have to...

I find that extremely offensive and MORALLY ARROGANT...

(yeah yeah, I know,... if I don't like this country I should leave,.. right?)

Amazing hypocrisy...

For someone who says they turn a blind eye everyday,yet when a thread about a small street sign with the word "Heaven" in it is spotted, you feel fine and justified about spouting your hypocricy,or is hypocrisy only meant for Christians in your opinion?

Not to mention morally arrogant as well.

What happened did your mirror break or something?
edit on 21-6-2011 by gps777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ancient Champion

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by Ancient Champion

The victims of 911 are honored by the naming of a street "Seven in Heaven Way" and the NY atheist get mad try to have the sign removed. If you don't like the sign then don't look at it!
edit on 21-6-2011 by Ancient Champion because: added more words

Yeah. Those crappy atheists, fighting to preserve America's important rights. They should just shut the heck up because YOU like the sign. That's all that matters, right?

Exactly. What about seperation of Church and State? This sign is a direct contravention of the US Constitution.

Seperation of Church and State has nothing to do with honoring the fallen victims of 911.

Define "honoring".. what about atheists/agnostics who were murdered on 9/11?..

They probably wouldn't appreciate being shoved into a place they don't believe exists by some organized flock of sorrow shoplifting believers.

Suggesting non-believers are in Heaven is a shameless agenda motivated grief hijack.. bizarre way to "honor" someone.

Believe what you want, do whatever floats your spiritual boat.. swing dead chickens over your head and howl at the moon after bathing in the blood of flies.. awesome!!.. as long as it's done in PRIVATE.

Those of us who reject organized religion, we know your flock exists.. we've heard some mantra, seen the incense burning geriatric dudes in goofy hats, read the kid touching stories.. we think it's all super unsuper, not interested.

Its fantastic that type of thing works for YOU, work that lord thing!!.. just keep it to yourselves, amongst yourselves.. private like. If you have a superior product, regardless of how bad some people say it is, your product will sell with zero advertising.. like MJ.. lol.. and your flock will thrive without having to remind us all, with street signs, you're still there.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ancient Champion

Atheists -.- typical.

While your on it, why won't remove from music stores songs like 'Highway to hell' or 'Stairway To Heaven'.
God comes in may shapes or forms. Stop being so freaking retarded.
Or maybe you can get a street of your own and call it Richard Dawkins street.

edit on 21-6-2011 by _SilentAssassin_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gps777

Thanks for reading the whole thread,... after all,.. it is so long!!! LOL

We are talking cumulative effects...

And yeah,.. defending our republic from zealots is hard work...

I have SO imposed my beliefs on the readers of this thread...right...

The fact that you ascribe such little importance to the "small street sign" shows how blind you seem to be about how religion's insidious ways accumulate...

Thanks for your input...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Let's just say,.. as an example,.. that instead of the sign saying: "seven in heaven" it said: "Allah embraces seven",... or: "Valhalla receives seven"

Do you honestly think the christian majority of this country would just sit by and say nothing?

Hope we can all play?

To me I would n`t care what the sign says,so long as it wasn`t down the lines of "suffer scumbag victims"

But you still dont see the hypocisy in yourself on the topic.

Why didn`t you sit there and say nothing as you expect Christians to do?

You can buy a new mirror if yours is busted, can`t you?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Even the athiests who died will have the sign as a symbol of remembrence. Just because they didn't believe in God, doesn't mean there isn't one. Hey, maybe they are in some kind of heaven or better place and are laughing down at us arguing over a sign.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
As an atheist I don't care about the sign, I've learned to ignore most things Christian, but atheists have every right to protest the sign if they want. If a Muslim sign went up, you can be sure there would be a huge firestorm from Christians, so I don't see why Christians are so upset that atheists are upset?
edit on 21-6-2011 by OMsk3ptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Just the fact that some people want to remember and honor those who have gone before them in some way, there should be no problem. The problem is that in this day and age where everything has to be politically correct, it is stifling and as a people we are not moving forward or uniting in compassion and love for our fellow man.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by _SilentAssassin_

If those albums used MY tax dollars to be made...then darn right I would be pissed...

Don't you see the difference between freedom of expression, and misrepresenting ideas?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Ive found that of all the people who are bigoted and intolerant..........

It seems that the atheists are the worst..........

people need to grow a pair and quit being so damn whiney all the time.......people will look for any excuse to be offended.........

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

reply to post by _SilentAssassin_

If those albums used MY tax dollars to be made...then darn right I would be pissed...

Don't you see the difference between freedom of expression, and misrepresenting ideas?

You mean like how our tax dollars are used in law suits that atheist bring against the city and all other manner of places when they dont like a crucifix somewhere or a nativity scene?

You mean THOSE tax dollars?

A bit hypocritical dont you think?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gps777

Sure, we can all play,... JUST NOT ON MY DIME... get it?

There are many ways to express your feelings about a tragedy,... just don't expect me to help pay for it!!!

I'll express my feelings about a tragedy WITHOUT using YOUR money...GET IT!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
people need to grow a pair and quit being so damn whiney all the time.......people will look for any excuse to be offended.........

Personally I would disagree with this. I've told many Christians I was an atheist, and they treat me like I'm some kind of satanic devil worshiper, and this comes from people in my own family haha. I don't see atheists being any worse than Christians, but I imagine it just depends on what point of view you are coming from.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I never said that it is right to use tax dollars to forward atheist agendas...

don't put words in my mouth...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I never said that it is right to use tax dollars to forward atheist agendas...

don't put words in my mouth...

im simply representing the other side of the coin man thats all!

I personally have never had any issues with atheists that I knew, but they also didnt get offended at every little thing tho either so

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by OMsk3ptic

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Personally I would disagree with this. I've told many Christians I was an atheist, and they treat me like I'm some kind of satanic devil worshiper, and this comes from people in my own family haha. I don't see atheists being any worse than Christians, but I imagine it just depends on what point of view you are coming from.

I can understand that , and im sure it happens too....

But I would venture to say thats a character flaw in the people and not the religion......

Ive have A LOT of friends that are atheist, and its never really ever been an issue, its a topic of fun discussion somtimes but.........I dunno once again.........

Depends on the character of both the atheists and the christians i guess lol

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join