It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus - the enigma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Venus has always fascinated me, especially the conspiracy theories attached to the enigmatic planet. However, unlike Mars, Venus receives little to no attention because it’s seen as a dead end in the search for extra-terrestrial life. Admittedly, I have never even considered the possibility of Venusian life being a possibility. The scientist in me has considered the available evidence and lamentably, it irrefutably shows that the surface of Venus resembles a hellish furnace, incapable of harbouring any life as we know it. As such, during my teenager years I quickly cast aside the possibility that Venus was a fertile sphere.

Later, when my interest in UFOlogy developed, I read George Adamski’s account regarding contact with ‘Nordic’-type life forms allegedly heralding from the planet. Naturally, I’m of the opinion that although an interesting yarn was presented by Mr. Adamski, the content is nothing more than a ludicrous fable dreamed up by a very deluded individual. The stories surrounding Valiant Thor and his gaggle of Venusians are no more convincing. All of the online material smacks of 50s sci-fi fiction, in terms of the portrayal of outwardly human aliens with a penchant for warning humanity of its destructive behaviour. Based on the knowledge of laypeople, bestowed by the scientific community, such theories are entirely implausible and lacking in credibility.

The overriding point of contention is Venus’ harsh environment. Although we don’t fully understand the reasons for its extreme atmospheric composition, the facts seem to suggest that the planet is inhospitable to all forms of complex life. Nevertheless, in spite of my scepticism, I am still fascinated by certain peculiarities in the evidence presented. For example, the probes that visited the planet supposedly deployed parachutes to cushion their fall. However, we are told that the high atmospheric pressure means the air has a density that’s comparable to that found deep in our oceans. This seems contradictory as at these magnitudes of pressure the need for deceleration would surely be negated? The probes should have naturally ‘floated’ to the surface. Furthermore, before the probes succumbed to corrosion and high pressure, they took pictures of a bright, rocky landscape but wouldn’t the atmospheric density create almost total darkness? In addition, temperature measurements vary massively, which calls the accuracy of certain claims into question, i.e. is the Venusian surface really as hot as previously purported? A particularly wild accusation that pervades various online forums is that the harsh Venusian environment is merely a holographic illusion, manifested by the inhabitants so they can remain elusive and divert Earth’s attention away from further exploration attempts. Perhaps slightly less controversial is a conspiracy theory whereby the relevant authorities have colluded to fabricate the evidence so that the public is hoodwinked into believing that the planet is not worthy of further investigation.

Finally, assertions that there exists an unseen world ‘vibrating’ on a different astral plane of existence are difficult to fathom for a mere mortal like myself. Indeed, the suggestion that there are beings able to reduce the speed of the particles from which they’re comprised, so that they can exist in the physical world, seems absurd. It also seems somewhat ridiculous that Venusians appear identical to humans, albeit ‘Aryan’ telepaths. Aside from the apparent environmental constraints of their home world, which are not conducive to life, why should they be humanlike? Unless we have a common ancient space faring ancestor or were the result of a panspermia mechanism that always yields the same results, the similarity is highly improbable and far too convenient.

The crux of my post is that although I can’t subscribe to the outlandish theories regarding intelligent life on Venus, the planet still holds mysteries regarding its true nature. Moreover, notable data inconsistencies as well as the strange lack of interest from NASA are potentially suggestive of machinations from the powers that be, with the purpose of shrouding an extraordinary finding in secrecy, with a view to suppressing mass panic. If the real Venus is truly what we’re led to believe, at least there is some possibility of simple bacterial chemistry in the upper echelons of the atmosphere, where the conditions are more clement. Even a discovery of this nature would be historic. Hopefully, a mission to collect a sample will be proposed sooner rather than later so we can start to unravel more of Venus’ many mysteries.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
When I was a kid "way back in the 1960's" I used to imagine Venus populated by dinosaurs. Welcome to ATS!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LaVerdadDesconocida

Hi LaVerdadDesconocida, and welcome to the Introductions Forum, a place to say hello to the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links, links and more links.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Start Here - ATS Freshmans Forum

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read)

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

While the reports of the Soiet space shots may be consider doubtful, the record of probe launches to Venus and Mars is clear. There was a frantic effort by the Soviets and the US to probe both Mars and Venus for being the home of the UFO. The record of the shots tend to show that the Soviets focused on Venus where they had some partial success (supposedly). The US seemed to split their efforts between the two planets but with more of a focus on Mars. What data that was obtained from Venus was enough to discourage both countries to pursue their interests there. After Mariner 9, Mars garnered almost all of the attention. The Soviet efforts for Mars met with virtually total failure, over thirty straight missions failed as planned.

The joke in NASA/JPL at the time was that a "Martian monster" was smacking down the Soviets one way or another at every attempt. For all we know, that "monster" may have resided right here on Earth.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
the images of the surface of venus were taken by radar then tweaked with colour etc. hope this helps

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by da pickles

Actually there are some photographs of the Venusian surface, which were taken by the Russian probe Venera 13

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The biggest problem with Venus is the slow rotation. Now, if you could genetically modify some kind of bacteria and release it into the upper atmosphere, they could eat away the greenhouse gasses, excrete water, and bust up the overheating cycle. Then it might be possible to reduce the atmosphere enough to allow some kind of surface life to exist there.

Another thing to consider about the visitors from Venus is that if it does ever undergo a terraforming, then we could eventually have outposts or colonies there. In the future. But who is to say how adept we may eventually become at time travel? Or accessing the alternate realities where our monsters and UFOs come from? So they could be from Venus. Just not the Venus we know.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
If there were life on Venus it would not surprise me at all. Look at all the organisms that live close to volcanic vents, in the hot springs at Yellowstone etc. Life can develop under amazingly harsh conditions and I think we're going to find it in places that we've never imagined possible.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

It's microbial life, without opposable thumbs, so I could give a crap if they exist, there's really nothing they can do about anything. I'm also quite sure that microbial life isn't in 900º+ temperatures, 98 times the pressure on earth in poisonous gases. I'll just go out on a limb believing that, it could be just me.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

It is quit possible that there is micro as well as macro sized life forms on Venus, or at least in its upper atmosphere. Not so sure about people living there though. Given the amount of pressure and density of Venus' atmosphere life could easily float in the upper cloud layers.

The reason for the lit images of Venus, taken by the Russian space probes called Venera, is said to be from radiating heat that creates light.

If you are as interested in the planet Venus as I am then the book "Worlds in Collision" by Immanuel Velikovsky is a must read.

edit on 6/21/2011 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

So tell us why Venus is upside-down, and if not, why the retrograde spin, and while you are at it, explain how life could form on a planet that two days equals just 3 years, respectively.

A slow spin guarantees zero life. With that dense atmosphere on Venus, just think what a 2/3rds of year day would do to a planet. Venus is the brightest object in our night sky after our moon, because it's clouds are more reflective than the surface. Out moon seems bright, but the lunar surface reflects just 8% of the sun's rays hitting it.

Clouds are more reflective of light than surface minerals, why Jupiter is the third brightest object in our night sky, (unless that last solar panel on the ISS has overcome Jupiter's brightness, and it can depending on the angle it is to the sun.

The brightest object we can see in the night sky that would be a star is Sirius, dimmer than the ISS!

Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky. With a visual apparent magnitude of −1.46, it is almost twice as bright as Canopus, the next brightest star.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

if it's worth anything, you've peaked my own interest into the planet regarding the scientific point of view

have you ever been interested in the 'mythological' aspect of venus, the relation to aphrodite the goddess of love.. etc etc? venus has been an interesting symbol in human psychology, as all the planets and their interactions, just wondering if you were interested in that side of things
edit on 6/21/2011 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
We rot in the molds of Venus,
We retch at her tainted breath.
Foul are her flooded jungles,
Crawling with unclean death.

-R. Heinlein

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Venus was my favorite planet when I was young. I remember I had a small book (geared towards kids, of course) about the planets in the solar system. Each planet had a NASA picture and a short description of the planet. The image used for Venus intrigued me. I wish I could find the book again, but the photo seemed to be a computer generated image of how Venus appears without the cloud cover, but the image was colored in blues, yellows and greens, so it made Venus appear to have large oceans and continents like Earth. The book described Venus has "Earth's twin", so I always imagined it as being like our planet.

I also recall sitting in geography class one day, half asleep, when the teacher was giving a very brief lesson on our solar system. He said that Scientists weren't exactly sure what the surface of Venus might really be like, but there could possibly be water and plant life down there. I couldn't believe what I had just heard and it was on my mind for days.

Venus was really ruined for me when I watched shows on the Discovery/Science/Nat Geo channels that described Venus as a literal version of hell, with 800+ degree temperatures, volcanoes that flood the entire planet with lava, clouds made of battery acid and atmospheric pressure strong enough to crush a space craft.

I think the strangest thing I've seen on the subject of Venus was these weird Youtube videos pointing out what are supposed to be giant stone heads or something in pictures from the few probes that landed on Venus.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
If there were life on Venus it would not surprise me at all. Look at all the organisms that live close to volcanic vents, in the hot springs at Yellowstone etc. Life can develop under amazingly harsh conditions and I think we're going to find it in places that we've never imagined possible.

Yep it would be great. the scientific implications of finding life outside Earth would be huge. Focus has mostly been set on Mars but if life was found from Venus as well, then it might tell us something bigger about the chances for life in the entire universe. Maybe life itself in any form isn't that rare after all, but for life to evolve into sentient species the conditions would have to be something extraordinarily rare, perfect, and not just decent enough. Earth has intelligent life (supposedly) and it's just between Venus and Mars, the other one of which is too hot, the other one is too cold, so only microbial lifeforms could survive.
edit on 22-6-2011 by famalhut because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2011 by famalhut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

So tell us why Venus is upside-down, and if not, why the retrograde spin,
I would love to but I don't know.

and while you are at it, explain how life could form on a planet that two days equals just 3 years, respectively.

A slow spin guarantees zero life.
I don't see how rotational motion equates to life. Do you have a theory? Besides I am in no way saying that there is life on Venus, just that it might be possible.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Venus was a great topic with Velikovsky.
He said it was very rocky, like loose rocks scattered across the land.
I think the Russian lander verified that fact.
I'll be looking for any photos that were posted.
Thanks for the interest.
Velikovsky's Venus had quite an impact on Earth and Mars.
Even related in Greek writings if I recall Velikovsky's theories.
ED: Not sure but Velikovsky might have ascribed bug forms
of life to Venus.
ED+: UFOs or Tesla ships would never go to Venus or Mars
because the Earthling owners are too protective of the technology.

edit on 6/22/2011 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Not sure but Velikovsky might have ascribed bug forms
of life to Venus.
I believe he did by relating to the exodus and insect infestation. I don't remember the specifics but there were infestations of flying ants, locusts and wasps described in ancient times. Whether these insects could have come from the planet Venus is another story.

Velokovsky goes on to describe the means by which these bugs could get to Earth from Venus and correlates the times of these events described in ancient texts with the close approach of Venus.

ADD; I would like to add that not long ago the thought that life forms of any kind traversing through space and landing on Earth alive was said to be absolutely absurd. Since this time we now have a working theory called Panspermia. We now known of types of bacteria that can actually survive out in space as well as spores. This theory of planets in a system seeding each other and stellar systems doing the same is gaining momentum.
edit on 6/22/2011 by Devino because: addition

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

I replied at work but a website I hit crashed my browser, so I will not work at getting the numbers but thought I should explain the mistake I made in that post, mostly from memory.

The fact I said a slow planetary rotation could yield zero life is valid except for the runaway greenhouse atmosphere on Venus. So I was in error there.

Mercury has a similar slow rotation and because it has little to no atmosphere, like our moon, it undergoes extreme temperature fluctuations from it's long night and days. Mercury the planet, gets as low as -330º F at night, and 750º F at day, the highest temperature flux in the solar system, but Venus is hotter.

Venus with it's runaway greenhouse insulation, actually only fluctuates about 50º from night and day and there are a couple of major reasons for this, mostly its thick atmosphere of over 97% carbon dioxide, CO2. The other anomaly of Venus is that the very atmosphere reflects more of the solar radiation away than the very internal heat Venus generates or has accumulated. So the heat from Venus can't escape, so night and day mean little on Venus, massive on Mercury, because of atmosphere, and little else.

Recalling a mention of life in the atmosphere of Venus does however bring up interesting theories. Just about 50-53 km up in the Venus atmosphere from the surface of 92 times the earth's surface pressure, there we have a near equal atmospheric pressure as we have on the earth's surface, and temperatures around tolerable levels in the mean between water freezing and boiling, about 120º F. Just a little higher is is a calm 75º F, but sulfuric acid begins to become more prominent than just deadly CO2.

So Life on Venus I cannot ascribe to in believing anything substantial.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

The contras were already in place for the bug infiltration but Velikovsky added
to the heat endured during the event using the Papyrus accounts.
Thus helping the natural bug occurrence.
If rocks and atmosphere followed the close encounter crossing the path of Earth
then some transfer of life might be possible.

new topics

top topics

join