It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faith in science.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruthh

What science will create are a nuclear war never seen before. See because when evil and idol minds mix, you get destruction. it will cause our downfall because of the people who are in charge of sciences greatest creations.

Let's hope such weaponary does not fall into the hands of Theocratic states like Iran; because they ARE NOT afraid of Armageddon; Allah will save them.

Peace.
edit on 22-6-2011 by ExistentialNightmare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ExistentialNightmare

Allah will save them but do you really know what they mean with it. They may die before the day they will be saved.
It is the promise they receive in heaven they believe in.

That is faith.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Conveniences...like life-saving medicines.
Conveniences...like more efficient farming practices.
Conveniences...like life-saving understanding of medical conditions.
Conveniences...like actually understanding the universe.
Conveniences...like being able to build more durable buildings.
Conveniences...like being able to share information and understanding with people all over the world.

...yeah, conveniences, not things that are far beyond the scope of anything imagined by religion.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

You wrote:

["But the faith thing is what I believed reading the bible"]

Your optional choice, valid for you.

Quote: ["Nothing will make me think otherwise about it."]

Either you have a very rigid mind, or you must be very existentially afraid (other options welcomed ofcourse).

Quote: [" We must believe what the bible prescribes."]

Not 'WE MUST'.....you CAN.

Quote: ["Isn't it one keeps on believing until he has received the proof of it."]

Rational reasoning starts with the questions. Not from the answers.

Quote: ["What has changed in the person is what is proof."]

You can choose a 'perspective', a method for finding 'proofs'. But then that 'perspective' itself can be evaluated.

Quote: ["Nobody can take that away from that person."]

Not if you live in a liberal society. In a theocracy you wouldn't have that freedom.

Quote: ["It is the person itself that is proof."]

That's called subjectivism, and the outcome is a myriad of different 'proofs'.

Quote: ["Christianity is just great. It doesn't want to convince others of itself."]

Both history and present christian missioning show otherwise.

Quote: ["It is selfconvincing."]

For some mindsets. And it's also circle-argumented and closed to inconvenient information.

Quote: ["Christianity is simple for everyone to understand."]

I understand it quite well. That's why I've chosen not to be a christian.

Quote: ["Reading the bible I came to know how to lead a happy life"]

Which is good for you. Other people find happiness elsewhere.

Quote: ["Its love conquers all hate and evil."]

What about OT?

Quote: ["The bible is so enlightening."]

Personally I find it endarkening.

Quote: [" Christianity is life. Those who don't have the son don't live."]

You can only speak on your own behalf.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Conveniences...like life-saving medicines.... we need because life threatening science.
Conveniences...like more efficient farming practices. What if the old practices don't work anymore?
Conveniences...like life-saving understanding of medical conditions. because of the flaws we have in society nowadays.
Conveniences...like actually understanding the universe. There lies no understanding in the universe in it. Understanding of the universe lays in people.
Conveniences...like being able to build more durable buildings. for the poor..
Conveniences...like being able to share information and understanding with people all over the world. which is never heard.

...yeah, conveniences, not things that are far beyond the scope of anything imagined by religion.

you have not talk out of experience.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

What? I'm sorry, but what experience are you talking about? I'm talking about my experience of what science has done for me as a human being. You know, those things that faith has never even been able to try.

Science does things that faith cannot. Like saving lives in a tangible way.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Jesus raised the dead and his diciples healed people and drove out demons and evil spirits. Can't say faith isn't able to do such things. How can a pill heal a moonsick when the cause is a spirit.

Science has shortcomings where faith doesn't.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
Jesus raised the dead and his diciples healed people and drove out demons and evil spirits. Can't say faith isn't able to do such things. How can a pill heal a moonsick when the cause is a spirit.

Science has shortcomings where faith doesn't.

Science does, what it set out to do. Creating a scenario of an imagined 'competition' between science and faith is pointless.

In any case the abrahamic religions haven't got a monopoly on miraculous claims. So even in that area elist attitudes are meaningless.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Holy spirit.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Holy spirit.

Being as enigmatic as you: Latihan.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Imagine faith can do what we use tools for nowadays. Could it be we lost faith and started to make tools. In itself there's not much wrong with that. But what if we can use faith.

Doesn't it seem like faith could make science completely unnecessary.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Imagine faith can do what we use tools for nowadays. Could it be we lost faith and started to make tools. In itself there's not much wrong with that. But what if we can use faith.

We have 'confirmed' a number of things through science, which really just means 'to see', but we put far too much faith into science. Seeing something coming is not enough. Doesn't give us anywhere near enough time....

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

That's speculations, and it "doesn't seem like faith can make science unnecessary" as a positivistic statement.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
What I know about faith I got out of the bible.

Matthew 17: 20 ...I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

What I think of when reading this is one could build a pyramid too then isn't it. Since there is so much mystery about the issue, this could be the answer.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Doesn't it seem like faith could make science completely unnecessary

The parents of Alayna May Wyland had a sentencing hearing this morning in Oregon City.

In case you don’t remember, Rebecca and Timothy Wyland are the people who, when their daughter had an “abnormal growth of blood vessels that covered her left eye,” decided to pray for her instead of taking her to the nearest doctor.

friendlyatheist.com...

"Only Allah can save us. I don't trust medicine," the 42-year-old roadside shoemaker said. Immunizing toddlers with mouth drops has reduced the number of polio cases to fewer than 800 worldwide last year from 350,000 children annually in the 1980s. Yet the virus is spreading again from Nigeria, where UN officials say a third of the world's cases are the result of a vaccine boycott. Amid rising Muslim-western tensions worldwide, Nigeria's Muslims are heeding allegations that the vaccine is a U.S. plot to spread AIDS or infertility.

Religion spreading polio in Nigeria
Sure....there'll be no need for science; and you can have it your way. Expect opposition.

edit on 27-6-2011 by ExistentialNightmare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
And I quote: matthew 17:20 ..I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

And I quote: matthew 17:20 ..I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

In the same way tha Moses split the ocean?

"Split the sea from here to there; and it will split. Nothing will be impossible for you".

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Are you making fun of it? It saved thousands of people.

Cursed anyone who adds or leaves words out of the Bible.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

If, if, if, if, if...someone had the sufficient faith ......... your postulates could be demonstrated.

And IF only ther flying spaghetti monster would talk to more than just me and a few other selected, all religious disputes in the world would be settled.

And IF people painted their faces green every morning, there would be no more wars (green is such a soothing colour).

And IF only christians made such claims, christianity would be THE religion.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
That which is religious only is religion. Let's just call religion by it's name. Religion.

Where does it come from? I see it as something that can have it's origin within people. I'll translate it freely out of dutch; what does a candle and glasses matter when the owl does not want to see.

Religion is religion, nothing else. There is only one God. Religion is human.

Could it be it is the essence of life?

Love

Matthew 12: 34 ..For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join