It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to update the U.S. Constitution?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com...

I think this is a great idea that should def go viral and since today so many ppl use social networks this could take off. Just doing my part and what would Ats members like to revise from the US constitution?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
yes, get rid of the anchor baby loophole. If you come in the country legally, and the baby is born 12 months after your entry date, the kid is a naturalized citizen. otherwise, the child is a citizen of the mothers home country or must establish citzenship some other way

that alone would reduce illegals

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
To be honest with you Jefferson literally said that every generation needed it's own revolution. This definitely implies a need for a new constitution so that things can make sense and be pertinent to the times in which people live in. Let's face it, we live in an era so far removed from 1787. Some things still apply heavily, and other things need clarification or reworking. It is one of those things that no one desires to even get into "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," but that's not the case here, that's not the case at all. We can't simply follow a bunch of rules and laws that do not reflect the social and political need of a generation, doing so is self imposed slavery and is almost as bad as following Religious dogma blindly.

We do need a new constitution, one that actually focuses on a respect for the divinity within all men. One that particularly and clearly protects privacy (You have implied privacy under the current one, not overt. Which means it can be snatched at any second). I really do believe that a bull of rights is essential, but shouldn't limit our rights to those things enumerated, but to merely act as a guideline.

Well....enough of me babbling. Yes it's time to update the constitution. It was time to update in 1830, 1870, 1910, 1948, 1965 etc etc...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Edit
d o u b l e p o s t
edit on 20-6-2011 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
You can already update the constitution with the amendment process. If you're talking about a NEW constitution, don't even go there. What a mess that would be with everyone trying to get their two cents and vested intrests in there. Best to work with what we've got san amend it if necessary.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
if it aint broke dont fix it

the constitution aint the problem its peoples "interpretation" of it.

gotta problem use ammendments gotta problem with ammendments hell just make another ammendment.

still dont like it your free to move elsewhere.

edit to add: it will be a cold day in hell before i ever let the users of facbook,twitter, and youtube have input on the most important document is us history.

they are the epitomy of stupid is as stupid does.
edit on 20-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Great minds think alike..
I was going to use this for my first Thread, so here are some of the comments I was making in prep to publish it in the next few days.

“Could we not, as average to smart Americans (maybe even more easily with the help of very smart), decide that we
Want to Really Change the whole system?
I don’t mean pick another 4 year puppet for Big Corporations,,,I mean Chunk it. Scrap and Discard completely. Wasn’t it even written into our present constitution that we have the right to do this? It could be done, even without bloodshed I am sure,, if we only would try.
And No Buying the Next Leadership, because it will be ………
well I am sure that is another post. We will save that one from the start.

Seriously.

All I am asking is could we not as a Country decide that we want to rewrite our whole system. Down to the literal Last Penny? Maybe not even have pennies.

Start anew, and rewrite a New 21st Century Constitution, which eliminates those business which are to the detriment of most of America,, (for example, Banks, IRS, Federal Reserve, to name just 3,,, feel free to add more to this thread) and Create a whole New Vision of what it means to be American in this World. I mean could we not, Rebrand ourselves, and at the same time Aim for the only New Frontier in the,

err… Solar System, the only Frontier left… our future is in out there people.

I am talking about Space.
Where is that vision in our leadership? In someone else’s pocketbook?

We could Create a United States, that is a true Vision of Humanity.

But, instead, we sit around and complain, moan, about the Banks,,,,,,, the IRS,,,,,,,,,and the good old Federal Reserve,, and say “Oh Well, What Can You Do?”

We continue to pay into this System, which is geared to pay Big to a few at the Top. And we in the Bottom, much less the Middle,, get bits and pieces of the American Dream, while serving an Elite, that only serves itself. Why do we continue to Pay? Because we think it would be to much, too hard,, too costly,,, too dangerous,,,,,,,,, tooo UnAmerican, to Change a system that is called American,,, but really isn’t (we have been hoodwinked ,,, right?) Babies. Grow up!

If we are being this controlled, by the Rich, for only their benefit, to the point, that the lock and stock response is something along the lines of .. “Oh Well,,, What Can You Do?” You all have heard or even uttered it yourself,, right? I can’t stand that response. I want to do something.
So, I want to have a Contest,,,,
Best New United States of America Constitution of the 21st Century Document
All Judiciary Laws also will need to be rewritten too… I know.
That can be my third post. Maybe….? If not, I know I was shot down for good with this 1st attempt.

Oh yeah,, and before I forget. The Economy? It would recover quickly,

but it only will recover,

With A New System.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I'd be happy if the constitution was just enforced.

Seriously, why isn't it criminally illegal to violate?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I bet the new constitution would be online with a facebook "Like" and a twiter "Tweet Me" buttons everywhere. Maybe a comment section at the bottom too.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Yes it would be messy... So was the Original Revolution. That didn't stop them.

We need to grow some gonads and start this process. In fact,, it has already started, just there is no formal organization to it yet. It will come, so I would not sit around and think you will be able to change Within a System that is corrupt to the core. Doesn't mean it started that way. Andy Jackson tried to save us from where we are back in the day,,, but the Banks won out there,,,
You are owned. You just think you are "Free".

Time for the New Revolution to find it's Leaders.

Actually Iceland is working from within its system,,, wish we could here,,, I just doubt that is possible, because of Special Interest groups and career politics. But we could start the Ball rolling faster if this would take hold with our current ''leaders"

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The 14th amendment could use some clarification so that it's no longer abused due to a very interpretive judiciary. Also, the Income Tax amendment can go. Otherwise, leave it alone and then start enforcing the damn thing. We don't need to re-write the Constitution. We need to actually follow it and stop allowing the government to ignore it as it has in the last 20 or more years.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by monkcaw

This is one of the main reasons it needs to be overhauled or scrapped completely
Because It is Not Enforced equally for all.

It is a Sold document.
America has been suckered by Big Business and the Banks,,,, not to mention other governments,,,,, like England, and Israel to name just a few of our Global 'friends'.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
the constitution is perfect the way it is, just add amendments....

if enough people are fed up with one thing or another... march, protest, get angry... GET MAD, bitch at your politicians to make the needed change... make it absolute!

if you make a new one, it would only end up being in the favor of the IMF, or world bank... it has to be people influence... you need pitchforks, tar and feathers to get it done if politicians dont follow what the people want...

nuff said.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Warhacks

Honestly this cannot be done in America. We are far to divided now..

Besides.. I like the Constitution, it has everything we need right there, anything we don't have now and may need in the future we can amend to it. The guy who wrote that op-ed is a liberal POS who wants nothing more than to insert the Democratic party dogma into law.

Besides that you would have to dissolve the entire nation in order to reform a non-republic Constitution .. since the Constitution may only be changed by the Free States, if you exclude the States (go "viral" or else have any other version of Constitution) you void the contracts that bind the Free States to the Union. In short.. every state would have the option to leave the union freely if the Constitution was dissolved.

And last but not least.. if you gave the morons in Congress the responsibility to make a new Constitution we'd end up with a 10,000 page document full of lawyer jargon with a loophole for every possible thing imaginable for corporations.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The Constitution has no legitimacy, it's just a piece of paper.

We need to get rid of the whole thing.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
rocks post has no legitimacy lets get rid of the whole thing

second says its just a bunch of words on a webpage

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

No no no!

what we need to do is re-word it so it has a definite meaning that protects any and all rights guaranteed within it so there aren't 60,000 statues that trample it within the legal system.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
rocks post has no legitimacy lets get rid of the whole thing

second says its just a bunch of words on a webpage

Well, then you tell me: How does the Constitution keep the govt restricted?

It doesn't seem to work to me. Maybe it's broken.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028

No no no!

what we need to do is re-word it so it has a definite meaning that protects any and all rights guaranteed within it so there aren't 60,000 statues that trample it within the legal system.

Who will enforce it though? The Constitution can't enforce itself.

We need a Constitution police force.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

First. .. neo .. my words are law!

How does the constitution restrict Government?

It doesn't.

The Constitution is an inanimate object hidden behind several inches of bulletproof glass. It's hardly going to sprout legs, bust its cage open, strut down to White House (it would strut!) and slap Mr. Obama across the face.

That's why this country is in the mess it is.. we are lazy ignorant people who WANT a corrupt government to tell them what to do in every aspect of life. We love it! If we wanted the constitution to be enforced we wouldn't elect jackasses who studied nothing but law (how to lie) or only people from the upper echelons of society. We also wouldn't allow judges to run amok with "interpretations" and we wouldn't allow the passage of laws that restrict our daily lives while it causes no disruption to others.

WE are supposed to use the Constitution to restrict Government. Instead we sit back and wonder why the inanimate object doesn't run around kicking ass.. clearly it's deserted us.......

edit on 6/20/2011 by Rockpuck because: spell checker grrr

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join