It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to update the U.S. Constitution?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

I'm going to watch it tomorrow after school. I don't have time tonight.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
We Live by what people wrote far out of our 'Time Line', so indeed it should be revised,

If the amendments were never recorded in the constitution would you seek them out still?

If the Right To Bare Arms was never in the constitution would you still feel you require a gun? or any of the other amendments,

the other thing is, peoples beliefs differ, i personally detest guns and think the world would be far better if guns were never invented Likewise Legal for people to get,

but i would be highly upset if the 'Freedom of Speech' or 'Freedom Of Religion' were taken out as those are something i'm passionate about,

and that is just it, who would rewrite the 'Amendments' the Government? the government who is supposed to 'Work For The People' clearly doesn't, so would the people write it then? then who gets to pick? is it a voting procedure?

it's far to congested to have everyone 'Content' in the end

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Yes ... same argument in every thread mentioning Anarchy on ATS. Anarchy is the absence of Government. Libertarianism is the verge of Anarchy with minuscule Government. Spooner was a Libertarian claiming to be an Anarchist

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Yes ... same argument in every thread mentioning Anarchy on ATS. Anarchy is the absence of Government. Libertarianism is the verge of Anarchy with minuscule Government. Spooner was a Libertarian claiming to be an Anarchist

That's not really honest.

I guess it depends on what type of Libertarian you are though.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Anarchy.. An- absence the absence of leadership/government/authority ........ it's actually pretty black and white. A lot of "scholars" especially recently have tried to tie Anarchy to different political beliefs however none logically make sense.. they apply new meaning to the word from it's original context. Usually surrounding Utopian ideology.

But ... I digress..

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Libertarians don't believe in Utopias. Anarchy has always been linked to libertarianism, most of the first libertarians were anarchist/minanarchist and like I said before most Libertarians are anarchist or at least minanarchist. Ron Paul himself even said that he would prefer self governance rather than a return to constitutional governance.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Originally posted by EarthCitizen23
reply to post by monkcaw

This is one of the main reasons it needs to be overhauled or scrapped completely
Because It is Not Enforced equally for all.

It is a Sold document.
America has been suckered by Big Business and the Banks,,,, not to mention other governments,,,,, like England, and Israel to name just a few of our Global 'friends'.

Don't confuse the Constitution with how it's being interrepted. If you were to scrap it and start over it won't make any problems go away you know. As far as big business and the banks that is Congress's job to make laws about and has nothing to do with the Constitution.
America is the Constitution and removing it would be akin to destroying the country. You would no longer have a people that can turn to it and say "see look what the founders said". You would have nothing but a loose coalition of political ideology's.
The Constitution is a brilliant peice of work not for any one rule it lays down but how in a very short way lay's out the foundation for America's beliefs and how, no matter how long it exists, it was crafted to adapt to changing times while still retaining it's core value. The Constitution has been the basis for many other country's constitutions and in my opinion is one of the greatest written works ever created.

It binds America into something solid and is the foundation anyone can turn too when they are wondering how do we approach things. Many people have died for this document and to say that you can just simply toss it aside is to me one of the most unpatriotic things a person in this country can say.

Because you have issues with government policy should in no way reflect on the Constitution. It was made to be adapted through the amendment process so why you would feel the need to scrap it has no basis in reason. It is hard to change but that was on purpose as the founders did not want a document that could be easily manipulated reducing it's effectiveness in the outline of what America stands for.

I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that the reason our Congress does do what it does, is because they take their ability to interpret the constitution From the Constitution. It is a circle, closed loop that they have bricked off for their own benefit, and the benefit of Corporations, Banks, and a Huge bureaucracy that feeds on itself,, and US. Sorry but the Constitution is not a Holy Writ. Yes, it is a remarkable work, that I still hold dear and do not in the least think I am being "Unpatriotic" when I suggest it be rewritten, scrapped,,, because It is in it, that I see We are given the Right to do exactly this, when our Government has rose to it tyrannical level of Present. (edit: I realize that this is actually in the Declaration of Independence, not the constitution which was written later,,, I prefer the Declaration of Independence to the Constitution as it was written)
It may have been made to be flexible and self renewing, but it is far from that today. Sadly,, I too thought like you, and once believed that we had to 'return' to the "Original Intent" of our Founders. Today, I realize that is a hopeless dream. It like most of the Governments of the World need to be taken down,,, by the People, and ReMade For the People.
If you wish to further your education on what the original founders thought about this,, I suggest you take the time and read this short page about our
Right of Revolution

I do respect the Constitution,,, as I do many of the documents our ancestors wrote,,,, but that doesn't mean it can't be better. I think we fall short of Vision when we hold onto something that is not working as it should.

edit on 6/20/2011 by EarthCitizen23 because: correction of facts.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

Originally posted by ugie1028

No no no!

what we need to do is re-word it so it has a definite meaning that protects any and all rights guaranteed within it so there aren't 60,000 statues that trample it within the legal system.

Who will enforce it though? The Constitution can't enforce itself.

We need a Constitution police force.
edit on 20-6-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

I don't know if this will go anywhere, but it has been approved by both New York and Connecticut and hopefully other states will follow. It's non-political; from what I gather, it's like a citizen Constitution watchdog group, formed to keep local, state and Federal government in line. It's being called a Constitution Lobby:
www.wethepeoplefoundation.org...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
You could update the constitution, in effect you would just throw it out all together. The Constitution however is timeless and it foresees the problems we are facing today. So in affect you could give a rib and make a woman from God, or perhaps it could go wrong and you would make Frankenstein, and thats basically where we are today.

You should understand one thing OP. The people who wrote the constitution had many different backgrounds and beliefs. However it is the meeting of the minds and figuring out a resolution that is timeless. The constitution was simply an idea, it is simply an idea a timeless idea. That is every child is endowed by their creator and that there are certain unalienable rights.

I will dumb it down for you, yet I will step it up depending which end of the curve you are. That does NOT mean that you will always be treated fairly, it does not access you special privileges. If you want something you will attain it only by working hard and having faith that you will attain that goal. You will not attain it by stealing, complaining, striking, violently or by any other means for if you do attain it by those means you will attain it for a very short period of time.

So if you acted in assertion to your original post, it would become violent. For you are not representing the ideas in the Constitution you are actually going against what works with what does not work.

Capitalism is not perfect, but if you compare the records side by side it is proven to sustain growth, not population growth, I am talking about stability, in life.

Capitalism is however the power to turn ideas into solid objects and actual science. Why would anyone have anything against that?

Maybe it's because all the ignorant people are patting each others backs, its okay your idea doesn't work this time, maybe next time.

Capitalism however has never failed and has yet to be proven to fail, so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Who would rewrite the constitution and who would have the power to make changes.

I can see someone other then the people pulling strings to get what they want. Foreign business men, Religious groups, corporations,ECT ECT ECT,

The TPTB would be the real one to get what they want not the people.

The whole idea of rewriting the U.S. Constitution plays right into the hands of TPTB and could never work.
edit on 21-6-2011 by ANNED because: 17394765

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
The constitution was simply an idea, it is simply an idea a timeless idea. That is every child is endowed by their creator and that there are certain unalienable rights.

I like your passion but the Constitution says nothing of the sort nor does it establish that. It does however support that idea and intent presented within the Declaration of Independence. The Constitution is simply the framework for government. It establishes the three branches, limits those branches, give specific powers to those branches and lastly, lists just but a few of our natural rights we are blessed with, in which is the support to the Declaration of Independence.

Capitalism is not perfect, but if you compare the records side by side it is proven to sustain growth, not population growth, I am talking about stability, in life...Capitalism however has never failed and has yet to be proven to fail, so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

The Constitution only speaks to the the structure and form of Government. Capitalism is a form of economics and has nothing to do with the Constitution; albeit, it does best fit in a republican form of government.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Good point, but if you look at what is happening is a general disregard for all of our documents. Many people here reading this do not have a good background on America, perhaps its this time we need to educate them!

In any case the rest of the world has caught up, technology wise, but they are still being fed lies about what makes this country great! What makes this country great? It is the people. It is the basic framework that was laid for us that makes us great, a system where anyone has a pretty fair shot at achieving any aspiration.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Update it? You'd better check with Bachmann first. I think she's already doing that.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Never in a million years. The second we make a new constitution, we'll lose whatever small amount of freedom and rights that we have left in this country.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Yup. It's time to update the U.S. Constitution. Just a thought and opine only. Something about "change" --- cars, electronic gadgets, constitutions, etc. Too many words. Keep it simple. Perhaps, y'all may want to take a look at the Georgia Guidestons for starters... [/end thoughts]

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Absolutely not. The Constitution is amendable as another poster pointed out. The Constitution is the Bible of America in my opinion. A lot of my friends consider themselves to be Christian, then they cheat on their loved ones, lie, and steal. They feel that because we live in a time of great temptation and because the Bible was written so long ago that it should conform to the rules and far lowered standards we live with today. This is certainly not the case and it does not work when analyzing the Constitution either. Just because life is hard and that beautiful piece of parchment is old does not mean we should just give up and start from scratch. Welcome to the welfare state, if anyone really feels that the constitution should be fundamentally changed, then:
1. pull out a notebook and a pen.
2. research other countries and their system of laws and government
3. narrow the list down until you find a country that sounds perfect for you
4. and move there.

I love the Constitution as much as I love Capitalism and Democracy. There are people who are trying to change these founding principles within our government right now. We voted them in and gave them power! I give them the same advice, if they want France, move to France. Do NOT turn America into France or anything else.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Two updates come to mind:

1. abolish the birtright citizenship

2. define the 14th amendment "person" more explicitly - based on the status of higher brain - something like a homo sapiens possessing a sufficiently developed cerebral cortex.
This would exclude early-term foetuses and braindead patients, and include late-term foetuses.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
The Constitution has no legitimacy, it's just a piece of paper.

We need to get rid of the whole thing.

Yup; this is what I am reduced to trolling ATS for ... such rare insight.

Moron...

The constitution has gotten us this far; (in relative prosperity through feast and famine).Incomparison to every other nation in the world.
The "constitution" is the ideas of "individual freedom;personal responsibility and limited government" not the parchment it is written on. If you want to take a "p*ss" on those ideas: "Them's fightin" words".
Care to have "The new constitution" sponsored by "pepsi"

"Constitution 2.0 brought to you by your local pepsi-cola bottlers"?"!!!

"Starting over" with todays shorts sighted; short term profit; immediate gratification( nanny state/give me free land!) mindset would be incredibly stupid and dangerous.

Where are the real selfless "statesmen" today?

You want Bill and Hillary or "Weiner" ;Schumer, Barney Frank( Charlie Wrangell); and Barry"whats his name"( and behind the curtains: George Soros,union boss,Richard Traumka) to have a go at a rewrite? You r'e insane.Give me that"old time constitution": thankyou very much.

For you one-world-govt "liberals": you want judge Anythony Napolitano and commentator Glenn Beck to sit down and write one? Neither side should be given that can opener around such a can of worms.( And I'd be perfectly okay with Judge Napolitanos' rendering.)

edit on 21-6-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Yeah that's right OP! Make the last document that is helping maintain the little freedom you have left rewritable... Such a great plan. It won't be long before the government changes the constitution to say:

"The constitution is for the sole purpose of ensuring the liberty and freedom of the government to dictate any laws the body shall feel necessary unto the people of the United States of America."
Then at the end of the much oppressive document it will say:

"This constitution is not rewritable. Any person with intentions of modifying the constitution will be named a terrorist."

How's that sound for you smart man? Good? Then go ahead. Make your constitution rewritable.

You are such a genius.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

The Constitution was a great idea, it just doesn't work in practice. Even our founding fathers did some unconstitutional things.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join