It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC apologizes for cutting "under God" from Pledge of Allegiance before U.S. Open

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Wow! Some of these anti-God answers are an eye opener. Lol...

Before religion ever existed on this planet, people were killing, raping, and stealing.

Maybe we should go back to those rules? If you do not like someone's opinion, you can resort to full blow violence.

After all... Violence is considered a moral act within man's law.

Who holds mankind responsible for mankind's actions?

Mankind can become very deviant when left alone.
edit on 6/20/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This is surely a joke? Surely a country has far more important things to worry about than worrying about missing out words from the national anthem...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Section31

Before religion ever existed on this planet, people were killing, raping, and stealing.

Yes, because religion fixed that.

I sure love living in this murderless, rapeless, theftless utopia.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

I didn't say we are living in a perfect society.

Where do morals come from?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
Besides, I thought Christians werent supposed to worship false idols. Isnt pledging ALLEGIANCE to a flag a false idol.

This might be the greatest post I have read all year!

Nothing better than pushing some reality on the nose in the air Jesus lovers who seem to think the US is their nation.
They're angry that the news isn't allowing them to sin against their first commandment.

Wrong... pledging allegiance is NOT worshiping so still think that's the best post all year???

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
God is a universal word, which means 'any religion's god'.

Its not a Christian only word.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Technically, you can create a God tomorrow, and the United States acknowledges its existence.

I call that win.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I didn't say we are living in a perfect society.

No but your post implies that religion fixed said issues. It did not.

Short Answer: Parents.

Long answer:
From realizing that people are all equally entitled to their lives.

Religion is a control mechanism, whine about it all you want, people either respect others or don't. Fear of punishment only works so far.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Why? Because you are anally looking for specifics?

Where does mankind's motivation to become more come from? What inspires personal search for the 'what if'?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Why? Because you are anally looking for specifics?

Just don't be so broad, it's not that hard.

Where does mankind's motivation to become more come from? What inspires personal search for the 'what if'?

From within him or herself.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Short Answer: Parents.
Long answer:
From realizing that people are all equally entitled to their lives.

Prior to the preamble stating that it is a God given right, the state being England owned you every man was not equal your little kife was not equal to that of the King or Queen or evern to that of a land owner.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I do not think that is possible without inspiration.

God represents that 'BIGGER THAN THOU' mentality, which gets people to think beyond the physical form.

Is this all there is to life? What happens after death?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer
reply to post by eNumbra

Prior to the preamble stating that it is a God given right, the state being England owned you every man was not equal your little kife was not equal to that of the King or Queen or evern to that of a land owner.

And?

Just because someone says it doesn't make it true. Religion existed in england as did the idea of God, so it certainly wasn't religion in this case that made us equal, it was someone recognizing it and making it a law.

Recognizing it and making it law did not suddenly make it true however, it was always true and was only enforced after it was written down.

But by all means, lets continue this.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I do not think that is possible without inspiration.

And you require God to be inspired?

God represents that 'BIGGER THAN THOU' mentality, which gets people to think beyond the physical form.

I think beyond the physical all the time and don't recognize any sort of "god".

Is this all there is to life? What happens after death?

Do you really care so much? What would you do, how would you act if you knew the answer? If this is all there is to life then I won't care what happens after I die past whether or not I helped make a difference for my children and their children. So I live my life thinking about the physical and what truly matters on this Earth. IE This Earth.

My afterlife doesn't really concern me. I do not fear what lies beyond the veil. If he exists he will not punish me for who I am. If he doesn't exist it doesn't matter.

Religion is an unnecessary control structure.

But by all means, lets continue this.
edit on 6/20/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/20/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

Where do morals come from? Short Answer: Parents.

According to the world of psychology, your answer is a very-very limited one.

When we grow from children to adult, we are influenced by parents, schools, peers, and religion. If you come from a family that does not practice religion, you are still influenced by its presence within society. That is why you are having this conversation now. You have been exposed and influenced by religion's existence.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

People of that time did not have a solid concept of rights, the church of england taught what the crown wanted it to teach. It was not until the preamble stating that we had rights and then the bill of rights did the people beging to beleive it because it had become law. And it became law because they recognized that it was a right given by God and not man which could be taken away by man.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer And it became law because they recognized that it was a right given by God and not man which could be taken away by man.
Man can take away you rights and there's nothing your god can do about it.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

People of that time did not have a solid concept of rights, the church of england taught what the crown wanted it to teach. It was not until the preamble stating that we had rights and then the bill of rights did the people beging to beleive it because it had become law. And it became law because they recognized that it was a right given by God and not man which could be taken away by man.

God-given is a term that is abused so.

In reality, we are all equal because we are all human, we all can think, laugh, love, cry, create, destroy. We are and we exist therefore we exist equally.

It only had to be defined as god-given because people couldn't recognize what I just pointed out without a finger-waggling parental figure.

According to the world of psychology, your answer is a very-very limited one.

Which is why I said "Short answer"

When we grow from children to adult, we are influenced by parents, schools, peers, and religion. If you come from a family that does not practice religion, you are still influenced by its presence within society. That is why you are having this conversation now. You have been exposed and influenced by religion's existence.

You want me to what? Admit that I am influenced by religion? Of course I am.

Doesn't mean god exists or that anyone truly needs him.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

Sure there is, in the USA there are to many who have tasted the freedom to have them completly taken away.
the major freedoms in the bill of right can not be taken away. They can be chiped at but not totaly taken away. If they blatenly try there are to may to scream hey wait a minute that is not right.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

reply to post by gentledissident

Sure there is, in the USA there are to many who have tasted the freedom to have them completly taken away.
the major freedoms in the bill of right can not be taken away. They can be chiped at but not totaly taken away. If they blatenly try there are to may to scream hey wait a minute that is not right.

Yes, you will INSTINCTIVELY fight for your rights, but this is a physical effort. There will be no ghosts aiding you.

However animals can be broken. It's easier to break the young and override their instincts.
edit on 20-6-2011 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2011 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join