It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC apologizes for cutting "under God" from Pledge of Allegiance before U.S. Open

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Blessings of Liberty?

She's a Greco-Roman goddess, her imagery can be found all over the place in the US: The US Capitol, the Medal of Honor, etc. The biggest example being in New York City's harbor. Sometimes referred to as the Goddess of Democracy. She's probably better known by the masses as Athena.

Franklin and Jefferson were both major romanophiles.

Many people don't know, even on ATS, that the Greco-Roman pantheon is actualy more prevalent than any other religious figures/imagery among the US government.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The moral ambiguity and lack of respect/regard for God, the flag, the country is disheartening.

Rest assured, I will still fight for your right to (not) believe, to behave in such a manner.

Political correctness has brought us to this point. It was created to divide and insulate populations from hate and to hate. It has provided a "free" pass to those that might (in normal times) find their comments insulting to say, with carte blanche, what ever they want. Exclude whatever they want.

If you don't agree with the Lord's Prayer (in church) then it is your right NOT to go into that church. It is your right NOT to say it.

What is NOT your right, is to edit the Lord's Prayer while being said by people that believe it. What is NOT your right is to deny the oppourtunity for others to say it.

The same can be said for the Pledge of Alliegence.

Beez.

edit on 20-6-2011 by beezzer because: cause

edit on 20-6-2011 by beezzer because: 2nd

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Congress replaced E Pluribis Unum, with "In god we trust", not "under god". The pledge and the national motto are two different things.

If you don't like it, have the law changed. Thats the process in our system. People can say the country is this or that, but the law is the law regardless. We are a nation of laws and they can be changed.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Will agree with you there George Washington was considered a god and there is boocoo masonic influences in DC to boot.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
The moral ambiguity and lack of respect/regard for God, the flag, the country is disheartening.

Rest assured, I will still fight for your right to (not) believe, to behave in such a manner.

Political correctness has brought us to this point. It was created to divide and insulate populations from hate and to hate. It has provided a "free" pass to those that might (in normal times) find their comments insulting to say, with carte blanche, what ever they want. Exclude whatever they want.

If you don't agree with the Lord's Prayer (in church) then it is your right NOT to go into that church. It is your right NOT to say it.

What is NOT your right, is to edit the Lord's Prayer while being said by people that believe it. What is NOT your right is to deny the oppourtunity for others to say it.

The same can be said for the Pledge of Alliegence.

Beez.

edit on 20-6-2011 by beezzer because: cause

edit on 20-6-2011 by beezzer because: 2nd

What about those who are forced to say it at school? If you didn't say it at the schools I went to, you actually got in trouble.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Saya13

From what I understand, children have the option of opting out, based on their parents decision. An issue that I also find disheartening.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

They aren't about killing your God, they are about not shoving it down everybody's throat. People with so weak beliefs are the ones who feel threatened by stories like this, something these people will never understand.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by furono
reply to post by neo96

They aren't about killing your God, they are about not shoving it down everybody's throat. People with so weak beliefs are the ones who feel threatened by stories like this, something these people will never understand.

I take it then, that you are for censorship.
Got it.

link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Saya13

From what I understand, children have the option of opting out, based on their parents decision. An issue that I also find disheartening.

So it's disheartening that your not able to shove your beliefs down people's throats? Why not let them make their own minds up?

link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

Most people in the US don't know about the Apotheosis of George Washington inside the Capitol Dome, showing George Washington ascending Olympus as a god among the Greco-Roman pantheon, while the other gods lead America in its Manifest Destiny. The fresco was completed at the end of the US Civil War.

Even more interesting is who and what the Eagle represented in Rome and Greece. In Rome and Greece, the King of the gods, the Iou Pater (Heavenly Father) also called Iove and Zeus/Deus, was not only symbolized by the Eagle, but the Eagle embodied Jupiter as an avatar.

How about that original Roman salute for the pledge?

People tend to overlook that which is in plain sight.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer The moral ambiguity and lack of respect/regard for God, the flag, the country is disheartening.
Where is the moral ambiguity in this thread?

Originally posted by beezzer Political correctness has brought us to this point. It was created to divide and insulate populations from hate and to hate. It has provided a "free" pass to those that might (in normal times) find their comments insulting to say, with carte blanche, what ever they want. Exclude whatever they want.
I'm having a tough time deciphering this. Are you're saying PC encouraged us to say what's on our minds?

Originally posted by beezzer What is NOT your right, is to edit the Lord's Prayer while being said by people that believe it.
Why is this not a right?

Originally posted by beezzer What is NOT your right is to deny the oppourtunity for others to say it.
You're right. It wouldn't be a free country then.

Originally posted by beezzer The same can be said for the Pledge of Alliegence.
Have you covered every speech you hold sacred?

Originally posted by beezzer From what I understand, children have the option of opting out, based on their parents decision. An issue that I also find disheartening.
Are you saying you're upset that we have the right to protect our children from predators?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by furono

You are not forced to believe. Just given he oppourtunity to.

Take it/don't take it, it's up to you.

Just don't censor it.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dadgad
Interesting, there really seems to be a war against Christianity going on.

Is it the satanists? Is the rationalist, the nihilist? The Jew? Someone up there doesn't like Christianity that much.

So people that do not believe in Christianity is now a Satanist?

War against Christianity? You sound like our government putting "War" very freely on some misguided religion.

Maybe we are getting more intelligent and finding out that religion is a big fraud. How do you even know it's a Christian god? Would you be upset if we said "one nation under God" but it was an Islamic God? What makes your God better than some other God?

We need to ban the phrase "under God", period...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Read a very good book on that subject last year long read lots of pictures. Very distubing.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackrain17

Originally posted by dadgad
Interesting, there really seems to be a war against Christianity going on.

Is it the satanists? Is the rationalist, the nihilist? The Jew? Someone up there doesn't like Christianity that much.

So people that do not believe in Christianity is now a Satanist?

War against Christianity? You sound like our government putting "War" very freely on some misguided religion.

Maybe we are getting more intelligent and finding out that religion is a big fraud. How do you even know it's a Christian god? Would you be upset if we said "one nation under God" but it was an Islamic God? What makes your God better than some other God?

We need to ban the phrase "under God", period...

He didn't say they were satanists... don't put words in his mouth.
And if you can't see the war against Christianity, you are very blind. Enjoy your bliss.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by furono

the people with weak beliefs are those who are afraid and get upset at the mention of god.

meh i am tired of this thread

carry on

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

edit on 21-6-2011 by neo96 because: double post and neo tip never post while watching netflix

edit on 21-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

Oh sorry, could be Satanists.
There is no War against Christianity. You are very blind. Enjoy your brainwashing...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident

Originally posted by beezzer The moral ambiguity and lack of respect/regard for God, the flag, the country is disheartening.
Where is the moral ambiguity in this thread?

Lets start here, with this item. When I say moral ambiguity, what I am saying is that people measure their "morality" against themselves or against society. An analogy would liken it to measuring your height against yourself. If you grew an inch since last year, then you aren't 1 inch tall. In order to successfully measure yourself, you need an outside benchmark (ie religion) or in this case, the floor to accurately measure your growth.
Using society to measure yourself would just be taking their (societies height) and measure it against your own.

You need an outside reference, an outside benchmark that is stable to measure morality.

Religion offers that because it's change is gradual and can provide a more stable "constant" to measure against.

That's why I say moral ambiguity.

ready for the next item yet?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by Annee

Congress replaced E Pluribis Unum, with "In god we trust", not "under god". The pledge and the national motto are two different things.

If you don't like it, have the law changed. Thats the process in our system. People can say the country is this or that, but the law is the law regardless. We are a nation of laws and they can be changed.

OK - well - I've had the two discussions so many times I mixed them up. And I do have a bad head cold - - so even though I looked it up - - I fuzzed through reading it correctly. My bad.

However - - either way. This is a secular country and god is not part of our government. No matter what anyone tries to claim. It just isn't.

I remember when this happened - when "Under God" was added to the pledge. Not everyone was in favor of it then. There was just as much controversy then as there is now.

And YES - - I will continue to fight with those who are trying to legally have it and God on our money removed.
edit on 21-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join