It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best case scenario, what would you choose?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Imagine you were not restricted by things such as money, job commitments, stubborn significant others, family/children etc... I suppose I am coming at this from the viewpoint of an economic or governmental collapse, or a WW3 type scenario where everything gets disrupted

In a perfect world what would you do to prepare? For example, would you move towards the coast for the water supply and seafood, or to the mountains for wood and hunted food? Would you move northward for... actually im not sure, or focus on getting more south where the winters are more mild and the growing season is longer? Would you suggest leaving a state/country/town/area who's current gun laws (among other laws) are much more repressive, or does that not matter? For americans, would you suggest staying inside the US or leaving the country before hand? What about transportation in the event of a fuel supply collapse? Dirtbike/quad possibly, they are fairly efficient fuel sippers, and highly versatile?

Most of these are pretty black and white, but you get the idea. Also feel free to bring up any other situations you feel are important to talk about.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'd probably just go home to Tierra del Fuego, or maybe Santa Cruz, in Argentina, because they are places I know my way around best. I think focus on getting together a trustworthy group of people and living a communal style of existence. As for guns, they are all well and good, but you need to think in long run. Where would you get more bullets from? Fire shrapnel? To survive for a long time, think about how people in earlier times survived so well without all this technology! Going back to the basics would be the most sustainable way, and eschewing modern technology unless it is really useful. People have lost touch with this Earth and this is why they will struggle to survive without clutching the hands of luxury.

Living not too far from the ocean is a good idea (as in no more than a couple days away) because it gives variation in potential food supply if one source is to disappear. Only small scale agriculture should be relied upon, just enough for a communal group. I guess it is hard to divide things so black and white as it depends a lot on personal strategy and intial loaction, as well as which terrain people feel most comfortable on. I just go with the logical approach of being truly self reliant in every way possible.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I'd most likely not stray too far from my current location. I live in east central Florida not too far from the ocean. Although the ocean sounds great I am more interested in the inland waters since they provide far more available protein sources than the ocean itself.

Fish(many different types),clams,oysters,shrimp,crabs etc.. and if it's an EOTWAWKI situation there's always manatee,porpoise and sea turtles.

There are already citrus groves planted nearby and many people have a fruit tree or two planted in their yards. orange,grapefruit,tangerines,loquats etc. Oaks (for acorns) are abundant and hickory nut trees are common place.

Palmetto trees and saw palmettos are really abundant and grow wild which is a good source for "swamp cabbage".
we also have sea oats (currently protected) and sea grapes that grow wild along with elder berries and blackberries that grow wild. nettles and cattails etc.

the winters are mild(generally)

the main drawback is that the soil is almost exclusively sand and any nutrients get washed away pretty quickly.
and the possibility of salt intrusion into any well that You may dig if it isn't deep enough.

All and all I'd rather be here than traipse off into the unknown of some other place.

edit on 19-6-2011 by Adamanteus because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2011 by Adamanteus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
moving to the coast is a bad idea. mostly all major citys are located on the coast. A good location needs to be a place where you have plenty of rain fall, a given because you will not have water handy. And rich top soil like the northwester states.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
i know where im going there is a place not far from where i live ( about 110 ks ) in the great dividing range ( nsw aus) i have it mareked out on topographical maps it is a valley like bowl with a stream going out through one end of the bowl that is the only way in the rets is sourounded by inpenatrable bushland mountains the only way in is by foot ( or motor bike if you know the track like i do
) nobodys gettin into my spot
all the water and food i could want and in a teotwawki situation there are farmsteads not far on the other side of the bowl ( over the mountains ) for foraging and raiding all in all i think my family and i will be safe

peace

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
In a perfect world, I wouldn't have to prepare for anything: lol:

I would certainly stay near the Gulf coast, mostly because that's what I'm familiar with. The abundance of food is a good starter, plus the lack of cold weather for reasons you mentioned (I don't think I could survive the snow today, much less after a SHTF scenario).

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I live near the Mississippi coast, I would not go anywhere else, im off the beach enough to where im in the woodlands with 50 plus acres, more than enough area to grow crops and raise stock.

I also have a cement rebar reinforced bunker for Hurricane, with solar, not to mention a stocked fish pond.

I also have more than enough ammo and arrows
to take care of myself, and in a quick hiding situation, I have a place that I could hide undetected, even by dogs.

So I would do nothing, being from a long line of military, all of those attributes through the years have been added and evolved into a nice situation here on my land for my family now and for the future of my kin if it gets the chance to even live.

So my answer is simple, I load the guns, charge the batteries, make a perimeter, and take no prisoners.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
moving to the coast is a bad idea. mostly all major citys are located on the coast. A good location needs to be a place where you have plenty of rain fall, a given because you will not have water handy. And rich top soil like the northwester states.

Ahh, there is the key bit of information I was missing regarding northern latitudes. The soil quality which is due, in part, to the glacial movement of the last ice age. Thank you for the post, short but sweet, and it made me stop and question my current mindset. One thing to note though, I agree most cities are within 50-100 miles of the coast, but what if you were to find a less populated section in-between major cities? Surely they exist, and the sea is quite bountiful. Another thing to keep in mind is that with people comes trash, potentially usable trash

S+F Edit: Oh yeah I cant flag a response, but Star none the less

To all who have responded, I appreciate all the responses, so well informed. The common consensus seems to be to stay where you are comfortable and know the area. I feel slightly better about making a decision
edit on 21-6-2011 by IntegratedInstigator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I live near greenwhich CT. I know where the evil bankers live (fuld, thain) I'd storm the castle and take over the bunker !!!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntegratedInstigator

In a perfect world what would you do to prepare?

I would make moveable cities.

David Grouchy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa7f76ab79f6.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Why would you need to do any of these things. America has experienced hard times economically and world wars in the past and none of this was required.

You should quit panicking about what if's and think about reality as all these survivalists are just that. They focus on surviving but you need to realize that every year people point to things that spread fear and they try to convince us that the end of the world is near but the world keeps going on.

The Bush era was supposedly to signal the massive changes to be brought by the NWO but never happened so now they are moving their theory's to Obama and his administration and when it doesn't happen they will move on to their next in the line.

Point is that there is no need to prepare for end of world scenarios however it never hurts to prepare for natural disasters that are common to your area. That's always a good idea.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I reread my post and realized that I went way off topic and didn't actually address your question. My apoligies for that.

If you really want the best advice on how to survive a world changing event the best thing you can do is move near the coast and buy yourself a sailboat that you and your family can reasonably spend alot of time on.

In your scenario everybody on land is going to be in a world of hurt. Desperation will reach it's peak and civility will be out the window. Survivalists will last a bit longer maybe but they will eventually run out of bullets and be mobbed for their supplies. Only those with the knowledge and the ability to live in deep Alaska or something will be ok.

However a sailboat that is easily reachable will give you your best chance of survival. Things you will need to know and do if you are serious about preparing.

Learn how to sail, and not just around the bay because when you bug out you are heading way out. Past the range of motorized craft as the world will be in such chaos that fuel will eventually run out and people won't waste it driving across the ocean. You will be safe out there.

Learn your charts and concentrate on islands that are remote or very low populated as you will need to resupply eventually.

Make sure that any medications you need are very well stocked. Also along these lines you need to study first aid and not just how to dress wounds but things like how to self extract teeth if you have a serious dental problem. How to fix broken bones on yourself and prevent infections and especially any health risks common to sailors who spend alot of time at sea.

Learn how to fish, deep water fish, and also how to purify salt water into drinking water which actually isn't that hard if you know how to do it.

Have your boat stocked and ready to go at a moments notice. You only need enough fuel to race out of port and into the safety of the sea so the majority of free space should be filled with water. Food shouldn't be a problem.

Do these things and the hardest part will be actually getting to your boat and getting out of port. The rest should greatly increase your chances for survival.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
In a worst case scenario where everything was at odds, the best place to be is a far away from the government and their storm troopers as possible. Their surveillance technology is beyond any counter we possess unless we live in deep caves or under major cities and never come out, and the farther out in the country you go the easier it is to track you, especially if you are in a communal group. the ocean or major lakes are the hardest places for them to see you, so i would suggest a 35' sailboat and fishing gear on the coast of new zealand, where you're far enough away and where you could easily duck in a beautiful bay or cove and never be seen and where fresh food and water is plentiful

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
I reread my post and realized that I went way off topic and didn't actually address your question. My apoligies for that.

Before I read your second response, I would just like to iterate that your first response was largely satisfying, as it has been what I have been feeling for a while now. That being said, I am off to read your second response, and will post and ETA below. For some reason, unbeknownst to me, I felt it necessary to drive my point home before I continued.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
coasts are bad ideas tsunamis reason number 1

north latitudes depends on power situtations and how you can heat your place.

personally i wouldnt move anywhere i have lived in my area for decades know the area quite well.

lots of raw materials for heating and whatever else that may come up.

so in the end natural resources given the specific area

suburbs and farms are abundent where im from.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
You want to be in a cooler climate - something that takes moderate to strenuous effort to survive. Why? Because when TSHTF - most of the population will retreat to warmer climates to avoid dying from cold winters up north/up high.

This means more food and water for you. Less riff-raff to deal with.

new topics

top topics

join