It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From an Atheist to a Believer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
On May 1st, this odd sensation completely overtook my body and sent me in so many different directions that eventually lead me to scriptures. It felt like someone was right beside me, egging me on to certain endeavours I would of never had any part of before that day as I was an athiest beforehand. Now, I certainly believe in a higher power and I know he wants me to do something but I don't know what he is trying to tell me. And since this day everything in my entire life has changed drastically. I used to be a musician but after that day I gave it up, I felt like it isn't what I'm supposed to do. It used to be my everything but now, this light I'm being pulled into has become my everything. I do not know where he wants me to go from here. It's like I'm supposed to be playing the waiting game but what is it I'm supposed to be waiting for?

All I ask for is advice from believers. If you do not believe then don't post just to step on people's beliefs and think you are qualified to regard them as true or false as I'm merely seeking answers, and also denying ignorance.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Since other people's opinions didn't lead you to this new-found belief...

I don't think you should follow them now.

If you are truly being led by G-d,

Then let G-d lead you, not strangers on the internet.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

You are right but wisdom comes from different places. Some strangers can give the wisest advice, not necessarily the pinpoint of my objective but some things people can say act as guidance as well seeing as that light of wisdom still holds true in all of our beings.

I agree with you completely, it's just what's a man to do when his gut is telling him to wait for some event when I have no clue what it is I'm waiting for or even if I'll be prepared when the moment finally arrives.
edit on 19-6-2011 by EpochIX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
This God took away your passion in life 'music' so you could wait for something which you dont no what it is.

I would sit down an have a long think about whats going on in your life, hope you find what your looking for.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CharterZZ

He didn't take it away. I still love music but the reasons I had for being a musician were only to stroke my ego, seek adoration in return for the other times in my life when it was null. I only wanted to be a musician only to have good people fall at my feet. And as I found this light, it was clear to me, why should I spend my life on a goal that was only for my selfish needs as that life would only lead me down the dark alley I have wallowed in for years.

Each day I question the details of my day to day living, everything is fine there but as I watch the morals around me degrade beyond repair I know the world isn't in need of another voice to woo them to sleep but a voice to show them that the world has a lot more to offer than lives wasted on chasing pieces of colored paper that in the end will not create the happiness we all desire from life. That may seem like too good to be true but nothing is impossible.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by EpochIX

How about you tell us more about this "odd sensation" that pushed you to read scriptures and accept god. As an atheist I find myself incredibly skeptical that anything aside from being strapped into a chair under the threat of torture could make me read scripture.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by EpochIX

I wouldnt say your needs where selfish, everyone would like to be successful, you shouldn't feel guitly.

Can i ask, what actually caused you to feel this sensation of faith. I imagin something big or sad happened in your life?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
reply to post by EpochIX

How about you tell us more about this "odd sensation" that pushed you to read scriptures and accept god. As an atheist I find myself incredibly skeptical that anything aside from being strapped into a chair under the threat of torture could make me read scripture.

Well, I had this thought pop into my head: where did modern language truly have it's foundations? I began to read on the Proto-Indo-European languages which then made me wonder the importance on numbers and the meanings hidden behind them, both symbolically and metaphorically. From then on anytime an important thought would come to mind, I'd get this soothing ringing sensation in my ears which would point me to these very peculiar coincidences. I felt the exact same way on scriptures at one point but these things send you in so many different directions that the validity of reality at hand has become a matter of question and theory for me.

About the sensations though, well I get this high frequency in my ears from any direction. When I usually follow the direction of the sound, I find something relating to where my studies had left off or someone coming near me. It's always accompanied by a spontaneous thought. The vibrations almost extend throughout my entire body.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CharterZZ
reply to post by EpochIX

I wouldnt say your needs where selfish, everyone would like to be successful, you shouldn't feel guitly.

Can i ask, what actually caused you to feel this sensation of faith. I imagin something big or sad happened in your life?

I would love to be successful and I am in my own ways still, but I mean I only wanted to play only to make money and taint even more beautiful lives. There was no real reasoning behind being a musician as it was the only way I felt I could get approval and return the numbness from the people who've spat on me (metaphorically, of course)

Nothing big or sad happened at all, actually. It just kind of came out of nowhere. Sorry if that isn't really the answer you were looking for, CharterZZ. I know it probably makes it harder to understand without a trigger to pinpoint but I still question these things myself.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by EpochIX

Ask the Father to reveal to you the reason He is calling you to duty.

He will respond to an earnest prayer.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I had a strong compulsion suddenly to experiment and see for myself if what the religious say is true, so I prayed to God with all my heart, decided to try stop doing what people called sinning, and even was prepared to give all my possessions away based on this: that if there is no God there is no real point to life, but if there is, reaching the divine is the most important goal. The things I experienced after my change of heart gave me experiences that fuel an unshakable faith. It really is true, you have to turn to God to find Him.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
reply to post by EpochIX

We all felt that way before being born again.

You're not the only one that's for sure.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
It was about 5 or 6 months ago that I picked up the Bible and started reading. Where did I start? For some reason I decided to read the book of Ecclesiastes. (I was pressed for time at that moment, and I just wanted a short read)

Formerly I had no interest in looking for devine guidance in my life. Many things have led me to change my ways. Am I a Bible thumper? Absolutely not. It can't be forced on anybody to achieve desirable results. They have to be ready.

I don't agree with any organized religion. The answers in the Bible have to be seeked by an open heart, it can't be digested and regurgitated to the masses and have the same nutritional value.. (forgive the metaphore).

In my own personal opinion, the names are of little importance, as it is the stories that are meant to stir the soul. The stories are much older than the book itself. The lessons they teach are of upmost importance.

Be careful allowing yourself to be swayed by the traditions of believers. Through observation I have come to the conclusion that none of them are right, and some of them are wrong. I include myself in this group (believers). I take from the Bible what I wish, I've not read all of it to date. But I do it for myself, and my own pursuit of the answers within it.

The main thing that I've gotten from it so far is that we all have but a short time here. Do the best you can with with your life. More satisfaction will come of helping than hurting.

edit on 19-6-2011 by Bobaganoosh because: clarifacation

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CharterZZ

succesful?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Christians hold that the Bible teaches that God reaches out to everyone, but that not everyone responds positively. I think that what you experienced is that "gentle whisper" or nudge, and it's encouraging to know you noticed and responded positively. But there is a reason the Bible also tells believers to spread the gospel, because "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God".

So here's the most simple way I can express the gospel: God wants mankind to be on good terms with him as they once were. For many reasons that can be explained later, that reconciliation started with Jesus, a "person" or "center of consciousness" of God, became human and sacrificed himself for us all. He didn't stay dead though, and rose from the grave in an immortal body after three days. But it takes two to reconcile, meaning though God has reached out his hand to you, it's up to you to decide whether to reach back and accept the offer. It cost Jesus everything but it costs you nothing; it's a gift so it can't be earned or worked for.

If you want to be reconciled to God, you need to believe these things about Jesus. If you do, just tell him so in your mind (or out loud if you prefer, it doesn't matter), and it's a done deal. Seriously, that's it. Of course I also highly recommend hanging out with other believers if you do, and reading the Bible. I just posted a thread about a great resource site for all the questions and objections people raise about the faith.

Hope that helps!

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by EpochIX

sounds like you posses a lot of qualities, I hope life works out well for you. You will find your way.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
fnuffillyfnny

enjoy the club EpochIX

maybe you'll find a way of playing your instrument again with other values. You'll surely find something.

Did you experience your interaction with others have changed?
edit on 2011/6/19 by etherical waterwave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
There's no getting anything through to the head of any atheist. They must either remain a sound atheist or have some kind of awakening or realization for themselves. All I can say, is I would probably be an atheist too if I hadn't been one of the blessed people that have gotten to feel, and to see supernatural things and entities right before my eyes. Where there once was only faith became personal knowledge.
edit on 19-6-2011 by RightInTwo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SaberTruth

Christians hold that the Bible teaches that God reaches out to everyone, but that not everyone responds positively.

He's a stalker.

Glory to Him that He is though!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join