It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Missing Threads Conspiracy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

That is why I added the paragraph for his personal motivation. I work for the government, and we are in constant CYA mode.
Our single motivation is to justify our existence, maintain our funding, and stay out of the newspapers.

This site is different, their original motivation was a sincere interest. As the site became popular, money became an additional motivator. Those two motivators are in opposition to what the OP is accusing them of.

Plus, I don't get paid for this job, I have nothing to lose, and I am concurring with SO. I have never been told what threads to leave up or take down, everything is done by consensus of the staff backstage. Sometimes things are deleted and then the consensus changes and they are restored. It is always about how appropriate the thread is for Terms and Conditions, family friendly, not duplicated, supported by facts, or in the proper forum to be apparent that it is speculation. In my time, we have never once removed a thread because it was too factual.
It is funny to me to even consider that as a possibility!
edit on 17-6-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
There have been a couple of times when ATS didn't just get close to the truth... We busted it wide open and were the direct cause of conspiracies and cover-ups hitting the MSM. It's happened and no secret Big Brother showed up to reprimand or threaten anyone that I am aware of at any point in the process.

As has been said ad nauseum, threads hit the trash because they either violate T&C or they duplicate information already provided in another thread.

In all the years I have been on ATS, as a very, very vocal member or as staff, I have never once had a single event that would even lead me to believe that the government or law enforcement even cares that I exist, much less has a desire to "shut me up"

Just my .02 cents.

~Heff

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
Honestly I think the issue that causes all these ideas is that threads are deleted, instead of simply removing the offending posts from the thread.

But in this case, the author of this thread has claimed to have knowledge that some mysterious entity has forced us to remove threads because we've come too close to the truth.

It's an absurd and insulting accusation.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I love how T & C violations is number 1 on the list.

That clears it up for me!

Is the OP being told that the reason will almost always fall under an alleged T & C violation? I have heard, seen, read, etc...a few threads in which moderator have openly declared that the T & C 's very heavily involved their own discretion, and based on only that, a thread was removed.

Notice I said discretion...and as it was so clearly described to me by staff, discretion could be however they choose to feel about a post, or thread, at that particular time.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerramjett
I was keeping an eye on that Lul thread as well,

Terms & Conditions

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I don't think ATS is a CIA front. But, if it were, can you think of a better way to get all the people who do have evidence and information in one place and keep an eye on'em? l
Like I said, don't think it is, there have been too many things pointed out here that you just don't see anywhere else. Although we do have our loonies here, as everywhere, on the whole it's a pretty straight up site.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
But in this case, the author of this thread has claimed to have knowledge that some mysterious entity has forced us to remove threads because we've come too close to the truth.

I'm afraid you have misunderstood me here, I have not claimed to have knowledge of this at all, only suspecting this may be the case.

I may very well be 100% wrong in what I have said, but it does still ring a few bells when certain threads go missing.

Can you blame me for being conspiritorial about this? lol.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
If you are accused of a cover-up, then isn't it hard to be credible to those accusing you of such a cover-up?

In this case, the one making the accusation claims to have information that indicates "someone" has forced us to remove topics because they've come too close to the truth -- he's "seen it happen."

If he has the evidence, he should provide it.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Awesome!

You might be an over-the-top conspiracy theorist if you accuse the conspiracy theorist website of being a conspiracy against you!

Honestly, what do you want? If a site owner shooses to remove a thread, what duty does he or she have to you to explain why? Even if the reason were simply because the mod felt like screwing with you by removing a thread to see what you would do, that's within his rights. There are hundreds of absurd topics on this site so I suspect there is quie a threshold for allowing a thread to remain.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Resentedhalo08
I'm afraid you have misunderstood me here

Your words:

My theory is, prehaps and not all the time (as there are justified deletions sometimes) a discussion goes too near a truth, prehaps ATS have been warned about certain subject and if it is too near something they have been warned against they delete it out of fear or out of a misplaced loyalty.

When I challenged that specific statement, your words again:

Well that's the thing it has happened, I have seen it happen quite a few times in the past and I am sure others have aswell.

(emphasis mine)

What is to misunderstand? Are you backpedalling now that you're being challenged?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

In this case, the one making the accusation claims to have information that indicates "someone" has forced us to remove topics because they've come too close to the truth -- he's "seen it happen."

If he has the evidence, he should provide it.

Once again...

where have I actually claimed to have this information? I have not, I have merely posted a theory on what I think may be happening...

Besides if I actually wanted any physical evidence to back up what I said of what "may possibly" of been deleted, then this would be impossible for me to provide as they have already been deleted, so to try and actually prove what I have said could be the case about threads dissapearing when they DO NOT breach the T&C would be near on impossible.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

Honestly, what do you want? If a site owner shooses to remove a thread, what duty does he or she have to you to explain why? Even if the reason were simply because the mod felt like screwing with you by removing a thread to see what you would do, that's within his rights.

Staff is always available to discuss why an action was taken. We are always willing to work with members. Always. If a thread is removed, the OP of the thread is told why. The OP of the thread can always contact staff and discuss it by use of the Complaint Form. All actions taken by staff are transparent to all staff. As has been mentioned already, staff moderates according to the rules of this site, not by our own personal opinions and beliefs.

edit on June 17th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I don't want to be the one to bring this up but Skeptic I don't think you should comment on a thread that contains a conspiracy against you. This is not a court of law...it's a conspiracy site and you are taking away from the natural flow of the conspiracy by being here to defend yourself. I think that should be in the T & C 's too.

Just kidding of course...but you know what I mean!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Now we really are just getting into the semantics of things and if you want I shall highlight the words which show it is nothing more than a theory.

Your words:

My theory is, prehaps and not all the time (as there are justified deletions sometimes) a discussion goes too near a truth, prehaps ATS have been warned about certain subject and if it is too near something they have been warned against they delete it out of fear or out of a misplaced loyalty.

When I challenged that specific statement, your words again:

Well that's the thing it has happened, I have seen it happen quite a few times in the past and I am sure others have aswell.

(emphasis mine)

What is to misunderstand? Are you backpedalling now that you're being challenged?

Have I made what I meant clear now? I am not backpedalling in the slightest, just trying to untangle the words that you have twisted to suit your argument.

I graciously accept a challenge and a debate on such a subject, I appreciate your input and your opinion as I do other people who choose to discuss this.
edit on 17-6-2011 by Resentedhalo08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
I don't think you should comment on a thread that contains a conspiracy against you.

Why? It's a direct insult.

This nonsense has inspired a completely new indicator for removed topics: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Why? It's a direct insult.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but in no way was my OP intended to insult you... just raise a discussion.

This nonsense has inspired a completely new indicator for removed topics: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I do like that new indicator, I feel it to be somewhat of a strange honour to have inspired it

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Your site, Your rules.

Most of us appreciate and understand your position.

I love your site and think it's heading for the "Big Time".

I posted a thread yesterday. I admit it was edgy as far as the TOS.

It managed to main dignified and respectful.

It had comments by a Mod. and several "Metal" contributions.

It was soon trashed to the bottomless pit. I had to get help finding it.

It just seems kind of inconsistent at times.

However, I have lots of experience with volunteers.

It's kind of hard to dock their pay.

I love your site....Best of Luck in the future.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Yeah, I´ve seen some interesting threads disappearing and closed too. I understand some, but not all. Sometimes I really don´t understand, what purpose it has to close thread, where people are discussing something. Let them talk as long they don´t do no harm to anyone. I always feel disappointed, that I (and others) put our energy and time to it and someone just delates it. I would prefer more warnings and asking everyone´s opinions, also more explanations why deleating is nessessery, not closing/deleating threads without any previous warning to all participants.

On the other hand it´s probably inevitable, that people in conspiracy site suspect the site to be part of conspiracy at times. And even if it is, it´s clear, that noone ever admits it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join