It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vancouver fans riot in the streets after loss of Stanely Cup to Bruins

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I've lived in Vancouver and it truly is a beautiful place, no question about it. When I lived there the biggest boozers in that age bracket were the engineering and frat students, lol.

I watched the riots from my present residence and I was struck by the almost complete lack of oriental rioters. They all appeared to be white, 18-24 types, mostly all males despite the high racial mix in that city.

It did look pre-planned. Who are those kids anyway? Kids who live away from home? Who have no home? Or maybe who hate the world and everyone in it?

Kudos to the Vancouverites who rallied to clean up the place today. I hope you can and will identify those criminals.
Maybe it was started by a couple of people, but those who joined in didn't show much character either, just testosterone. I hope the city recovers, but sadly its reputation has just taken a hit.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by David291
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

Nature of competitive sports? So the nature of sports is to beat your fellow man just because your team got their ass kicked? Right ... I had no idea sports was so important. I'll tell you what it really is, the nature of idiocy.

EDIT: oh yeah, now days people beat people even if they win

edit on 16/6/11 by David291 because: (no reason given)

Yes, it is the nature of competitive sports.... whats with the cynicism?

particularily when mixed with diehard fanatics, large crowds, and boose. But, all those things go together like chicken and rice.

It may sound stupid to you, but luckily your opinion alone is worth about as much as a fart. People will do what people will do. It has nothing to do with the times, or "idiocracy" (as dubbed by the brilliant film)

These things happen. Get used to it, or you will be puking and crying for the rest of your life.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
that's just what happens when you get a bunch of riled up drunk sports fans all in one spot...sure they make others look bad...but I don't see many people who actually tried to stop it other than probably police...if you don't want these type of things to happen voice your concern and maybe stand up to the ones starting the trouble...most are too afraid I'm sure

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
that's just what happens when you get a bunch of riled up drunk sports fans all in one spot...sure they make others look bad...but I don't see many people who actually tried to stop it other than probably police...if you don't want these type of things to happen voice your concern and maybe stand up to the ones starting the trouble...most are too afraid I'm sure

the people who DID try and stop it were brutally beaten in the streets by the mob.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
If your going to try and step up to a rioting mob, your either an idiot or a hero.

Either way, your getting your head kicked in.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

well that's messed...obviously all the strong ones were on the riots side...at least some people tried to stand up for what is right...I would have stood with those that did with my pocket club...obviously not enough stood up against them though...

link   
I just hope this isnt used as an excuse to clampdown the law just because a small minoritywent mad. Im from the UK but have been to Canada a few times and the people there are by far the nicest people who I have met from all around the world. Here we have the same problem with football. Footbal fans here (well not the majority nbut a fair size bunch of them) enjoy just the rush of going mad and smashing the town up. Its not always the anger at loosing the game, just that they enjoy the trouble itself, which is why they arnt real fans, but hooligans.

How bad exactly was it and how many were involved?

link   
This is one reason why alchohol should be illegal. It fuels the moronic brain cells.

I was watching the news and they were making a big deal about how some people were smoking "drugs"

aka marijuana. I bet you anything those who were toking weren't the ones acting like idiots

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

If only we could redirect their frustration to the REAL world.....

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

Lol you have obviously never been in a situation like that before! Its near suicide to try and stop a mob of people like that when they have a violent mob mentality. If you get swarmed by 30 people and they all kick you on the floor twice thats 60 times your guna be booted very hard and thats not even considering those who hit you with weapons. If you are concerned dont try and be a stupid hero, get yourself and other non participants to safety and call the police if you are that worried. Never try and take on a mob of people, especially a drunken mob of people as you WILL go down. It doesnt matter how tough you think you are in a situation like that sheer numbers will destroy you alone.

Be smart, not stupid and walk away. Its very fortunate noone who was attacked died as these drunken loonies wouldnt know ehen to stop.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If we knew about apocalypse comming, we would undoubtedly destroy our planet by our stupidity.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Of course they did.
Vancouver is the Philadelphia of Canada, only drunker.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demoncreeper
For those of you conspiracy theorists who believe the west is slowly becoming a policed state, this would be why.

The people bring it on themselves.

I am embarrassed to be a British Columbian this hour.

Let me correct you my friend, it's NOT British Columbia.... just few minority idiots out there! Most of us are ashamed of what happened, specially here.... very peaceful place to be to see this kind of crap. There will ALWAYS be idiots out there, that make it look bad for the rest of the people, be it here or somewhere else!

It's to the people out there to be conscious of how they interpret the situation. It's like as if I would be like to say I'm embarrassed of all Americans.... rather then... I'm ashamed of the few Americans and their government for the situation we're all in now in politics around the world...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I have already explained this many, many times...Give the sheeple a t.v., their drug of choice, sports, and sex with anything that walks, crawls or swims and they will defend it till the end.....People minds are gone and they are not coming back in the next 60 days...120 days ..Maybe.....when these sheeple stand still and look up in just a few months from now and are so frightened at what they see that they $hit and piss their pants then their minds will return.... a bit scrambled but 100% better than they are right now...I so much look forward for this day......

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by freighttrain

Originally posted by Demoncreeper
For those of you conspiracy theorists who believe the west is slowly becoming a policed state, this would be why.

The people bring it on themselves.

I am embarrassed to be a British Columbian this hour.

Let me correct you my friend, it's NOT British Columbia.... just few minority idiots out there! Most of us are ashamed of what happened, specially here.... very peaceful place to be to see this kind of crap. There will ALWAYS be idiots out there, that make it look bad for the rest of the people, be it here or somewhere else!

It's to the people out there to be conscious of how they interpret the situation. It's like as if I would be like to say I'm embarrassed of all Americans.... rather then... I'm ashamed of the few Americans and their government for the situation we're all in now in politics around the world...

It is an embarassment to us because we all get painted with the same brush.

There were too many people in the downtown core, what did they expect when they mount big jumbo screens and invite thousands to gather on the streets, join in on the party, and according to news reports, the week leading up to game 7 there had been barracades areound the viewing zone and checkpoints, that last night they removed these security checks and boundaries due to the crowd being too large.

Unbeknownst to me my daughter had gone there to watch the game on the screen (she had gone previously during the week) She was stuck there hiding, being shoved along by horses, unable to leave due to public transport being stalled. I managed to arrange to get her out. She said on the ride in on the sky train, the passengers were already getting wild, getting high on the train, they seemed intent on causing trouble before they got there.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
There's at least some positives to this whole riot, apparently some people still know how to make love not war

This photo made me laugh because it looks like Jeremy from Peep Show, and something his character would most likely do while riots are going on in the streets around him.
edit on 16-6-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Not sure what the police were thinking here.

Would have liked to see them putting their foot up these fools asses and bust some heads.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaycen420
How so we know that it wasnt provocateurs, it wouldnt be a first time.

That's what I thought at first, when I got home and saw what was unfolding on TV, provoateurs, but it wasn't. I was there after the game, but somewhat before the mayhem began.

It was young people, mostly out of towners (although we have a lot of crazies in the East side) with no respect and just a desire armed with what they thought was an excuse to raise some hell (their idea of "fun").

The police handled it very well, and were restrained.

Just a bunch of young idiots for the most part who make everyone else look bad in the process.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

The Vancouver Canuck fanbase has some real true die hard hockey fans. These thugs in the street did not go to the game, they were in the parking lots watching the game on big screen televisions. I fear even if Vancouver would have won the cup, the city still would have burned.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sith9157

Yep, that's exactly what I thought. All for sport, complete and utter idiocy. We have more important things to think about than sport...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join