It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vancouver fans riot in the streets after loss of Stanely Cup to Bruins

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Wow!!!!

As a human who was shaped by many things in Vancouver Canada in general.

The YouTube rebuild clips made me proud to be human.....there is hope?!?!

And it teaches me this.....what many have been saying.

DO NOT FOCUS ON THE NEGATIVE....as the PTB would love to rob us of all humanity .

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Canadians have always done this ,win or loose. The riots are almost as much a ritual as the game.

Doesen't say much for Canada but I doubt it is far down the road from happening here in the U.S.,we seem to follow in Canada's foot steps.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
duplicate.....getting carried away with my love

edit on 17-6-2011 by The Great Day because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I don't know why (I should be used to it by now), but the ignorance of the majority of the comments I've read blows me away! People traveled many miles to come to my city just to smash the snot out of it. There were people wearing shirts that said "I'm here for the riots only". There were gas masks on the streets before the game was over. Just like most of the other riots in recent history, it is instigated by a small group of people whose only purpose of being there is to create a riot out of a large gathering of people. This has very little to do with Vancouverites and Canadians, and really has more to do with the destructive energies of our youth.

Those calling this a Police State are mistaken as well. Back in '94 when the riot followed the Canucks' loss, it was in response to a case of police brutality (of course, it was a tinder box waiting to be ignited, but the spark was excessive police force). This time, the police didn't want their overreactions to cause more damage and their main concern was people's safety. And in my opinion (one who is very against police force and the abuse of the power given to them) say that they did not act quickly enough or with enough force (everyone thought that I riot was likely to happen... the police saw it coming, they just played it all wrong... yes, everyone makes mistakes, even police and mayors).
... but I say all this without attending the riots, so my perspective is only as a spectator from miles away (which is still a more educated opinion than most here)

Those who blame hockey for this are morons (and I really don't like name calling, but it is well deserved here)! People have been killed over football/soccer (I have heard stories of a game in Columbia where everyone on the field was shot when a mafia team lost) and it is probably the most respected sport world wide (I don't know why... ?). It is common for large drunken brawls, massive angry mobs, smashing, violence, etc. to follow football/soccer games, but this is all fine because it's football?! How about baseball? Same story... drunken morons beating each other for no reason other than the team they are cheering for. Basketball? American Football? ha... I remember a time that wearing the Bulls or The Raiders clothing was enough for one to get jumped and there clothing torn from them. This type of energy has little to do with hockey, which is a rough sport with [relatively] a code of honor (I remember watching the prison inmates vs. the police and it had less violence and more honor than most sports I watch... and those two teams should hate each other but could still play a civilized game).

This had nothing to do with hockey and nothing to do with Vancovuer... it has to do with 100,000 drunk people who had intentions on smashing the snot out of my city. It has to do with weird built up energies of our youth (let's look at the political riots all over the world, let's look at the riots about tuition hikes, let's look at what age group has participated in most wars of the last 100 years and what ensued... rape, pillage, torture... this behavior is not new or localized to Vancouver). It is not only here, it is worldwide. It isn't something new, it has been here as long as there has been young adults. It is about a lack of education and a lack of respect surrounding our personal environments. It is a problem with society that we are all part of.

And I know that most of those coming here (this thread) just to say bad things about how here is so different than there, how Vancouver people are dumb but you are smart, hockey is stupid and causes moronic violence, etc. are already gone as they have put forth their negative comments and energies and have long ago moved on to put forth such negative influences upon some other posting/site/person, but if anyone really looked into this topic more than what your news has told you, it is quite an amazing story of how Vancouver has come together to find all those who allowed such perfect pictures of their faces to be taken while jumping on a burning police cruiser, have come together to clean up the mess of those who felt they had to trash our beautiful city, have come together to support those that got hurt. Read the stories of people of protected cars from getting burnt for half an hour before getting punched and pushed out of the way. Read the stories of people protecting the Bruins fans on their way out. Put a little focus towards the positive stories because there are plenty.

Vancouver was a hero during the Olympics, why are people so quick to forget that? That was a much better representation of Vancouver than what happened here two nights ago. Yes, like everywhere else in the world, crap happens here too. If you think that this couldn't happen in your city, you are kidding. The world is full of a weird destructive energy and behavior like this is common worldwide this days, just for different reasons.

Special thanks to all those posting videos showing the volunteers cleaning up the city! It's hard to see through all the crap to find those putting in an effort to clean all the crap up! Behind the gray clouds always is sunshine...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeyBones

Thank you for your reply...it took some effort.

I am glad you see things differently than others. As well it is natural to separate yourself from unpopular things. A small part of me wanted to defend my home town ....but mostly i just want to open up a broad understanding.

this is a small percentage of one event...there is many events very tragic going on....

its what the PTB that want us to focus on all the bad..but if we look beyond their is a lot of good.

Let the good shine....

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeyBones

Star for you.
I agree.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Battleline
Canadians have always done this ,win or loose. The riots are almost as much a ritual as the game.

Doesn't say much for Canada but I doubt it is far down the road from happening here in the U.S.,we seem to follow in Canada's foot steps.

You're suggesting this is just a Canadian thing??? Stop the ignorance and look at the facts. Thank you.

Philadelphia 2008

After the Philadelphia Phillies secured the 2008 World Series championship title—ending a 28-year drought—tens of thousands of elated fans decided to wreck shop on their City of Brotherly Love—mostly on South Broad Street. Cars were flipped over, fires blazed, and obscenities were screamed. Where did all this suppressed anger come from? Oh yeah, the two decades of “Phillies Suck” chants from every other city on earth. Read more: newsfeed.time.com...

Los Angeles 2009 and 2010

Post-victory Lakers riots are like wrinkles: unfortunate yet inevitable. The violent Los Angeles tradition has occurred after three Lakers NBA Championship wins, first in 2000, followed by riots in 2009 and 2010. Destructive Kobe fans tend to incite garden-variety rioting: property gets destroyed, fires burn, people throw things. No one has died, but injuries and arrests are plenty. Last year, after the Lakers defeated the Boston Celtics in the Finals, at least one person was beaten unconscious. Read more: newsfeed.time.com... ory-in-nba-finals/#ixzz1PYcsmc4r

Madison Square Garden 1996

It’s not surprising to see punches thrown at a boxing match. But one would assume it’s just the boxers doing the punching. In July 1996, in a match between Polish heavyweight Andrew Golota and Riddick Bowe at Madison Square Garden, Golota was disqualified for repeated blows below the belt. After former heavyweight champion Bowe won by disqualification, a fight broke out in the ring, spilling across the lines into a full-scale uprising that is now known as one of the most violent riots in boxing history. Read more: newsfeed.time.com... -madi/#ixzz1PYdRMFO8

Here's a real jewel.

In 1984, when the Detroit Tigers beat the San Diego Padres to win their first World Series title in 22 years, fans rejoiced by turning cars over and lighting the streets on fire. The celebratory uproar resulted in lawlessness, one fatality and dozens of injuries. One photo in particular, of a 17-year old named Kenneth "Bubba" Helms proudly holding a pennant in front of an overturned police car doused in flames, was printed nationwide, interpreted both as a symbol of the city’s triumph and decline. According to Sports Illustrated, this riot included rapes. Read more: newsfeed.time.com...

Boston riot resulting in a death.

The Red Sox comeback victory over the New York Yankees during the 2004 American League Championship Series came with a price. After Beantown turned upside-down in a celebratory riot, 21-year-old Victoria Snelgrove was killed when she was hit in the eye with a pepper spray projectile shot by a Boston police officer. The crowds and chaos kept her from receiving prompt medical attention, and she died hours later. Read more: newsfeed.time.com... oO

Denver 1998

On January 25, 1998, after the Denver Broncos defeated the Green Bay Packers to win Super Bowl XXXII, thousands of inebriated fans took to the streets of Denver. Raucous crowds spilled out of downtown bars to behave like the feral equine species their team is named after. The Broncos repeated as Super Bowl champs the following season against the Atlanta Falcons. They celebrated by rioting, natch. Read more: newsfeed.time.com... all-team-super-bowl-vi/#ixzz1PYesUFCl

Detriot 1990 (gunfire, stabbings 140 arrested)

The 1990 Detroit Pistons riot is probably the only sports-related North American melee that can even compare to the terrifying soccer riots abroad. That year, after the Detroit Pistons won the NBA championship against the Portland Trail Blazers (pictured), seven people died. Hundreds were injured—not by tear gas. Not by stepping on shattered glass. But by gunfire and stabbings. Ruckus ensued until 140 people were arrested, branding Detroit as one of the scariest sports cities in America.

Read more: newsfeed.time.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

Originally posted by seeker11

Philadelphia 2008

After the Philadelphia Phillies secured the 2008 World Series championship title—ending a 28-year drought—tens of thousands of elated fans decided to wreck shop on their City of Brotherly Love—mostly on South Broad Street. Cars were flipped over, fires blazed, and obscenities were screamed. Where did all this suppressed anger come from? Oh yeah, the two decades of “Phillies Suck” chants from every other city on earth. Read more: newsfeed.time.com...

Thanks for the examples, I was getting too hot and offended by the comments to even look some up! It's funny how we quickly we forget/ignore our past when the opportunity to accuse others is present!

I hope you didn't change your location to "Not Vancouver" because of this... !

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

You forgot Chicago bulls fan was soo happy to win the championship, back in MJs era, that he was shooting bullets in the air, cowboy style, during the "riot" in chicago and killed someone.

Making me say at least no1 died in Vancou.

Also, i'm from the most unstable city in Canada and i can say it wasn't that bad compared to the Americas Summit, Quebec city looked like a war zone for 2 days.
Now i dont want to create too much fuzz about this one but i could bet a 100 on june 23 there will be a riot for the most stupid thing ever lol, they wont allow beer for a national holiday. This year, polices wont tolerate alcohol and let me tell you that is not looking well. I just hope i'm wrong but the odds that i loose my 100$ are pretty slim.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by eagleeye2

Wow, that's crazy!
Yeah I just picked the quickest examples I could find to squash the ignorant response about rioting over sports being a Canadian thing.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I was there. I stood there slack jawed while Surrey thugs threw a paper box through the Bay window. I watched how the intensity grew into a frenzy of underage drunken shenanigans. The sickness clung to my skin like a thick putrid glue. Then the tear gas burned my lungs as I made my way home.

These people for a lack of a better word, scum, are NOT from Vancouver and do NOT represent Canada. They come from an area East of Vancouver called Surrey, BC. Their mentality is void of common sense and shame. A city notorious for gang activity, the Surrey 6 slaying a few years ago, car theft, and the delusion that posting looted merchandise on craigslist the next day would go unnoticed. These people are not only criminals, but stupid ones at that. Not to mention advertising their antics on facebook. Got news for you punks. The police are coming! Dumb Asses!

What I want to show is the aftermath is what really counts. The 11-12 thousand people who showed up at the crack of dawn to help clean and mend their sadness with a therapeutic broom provided by the city.
This is what Vancouver is about, and this is what should be remembered.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc2e37f84524.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ab21799e4520.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c1d52eda8f29.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eaa00d36f0b1.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d902029fc0d.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9cda18ab8779.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86be6970f233.jpg[/atsimg]

Last but not least, in the event that none of you have seen this now famous snap shot of a couple in love in the midst of chaos.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f500946d4691.jpg[/atsimg]

Perhaps a little off my own topic with the last photo, but a good one none the less.

edit on 17-6-2011 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Like i said the U.S. seems to follow in Canadas foot steps.

All these wrongs i guess make it right.Continue on with your riots then Canada.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
On a Nicer note..

Here's an Update:
www.theprovince.com...

excerpt:

One bright note ended a bruising week for the Vancouver Police: officers found one of their cruisers on Granville Street Friday covered from roof to fenders in sticky notes by citizens expressing gratitude for their efforts.

"You did protect us," reads a message from Port Coquitlam, B.C.'s Janice Staryk. "It's humbling and overwhelming that the awful deeds of a few . . . are not going to outweigh all the good of the people here in this city."

Well-wisher Ronnie Sidhu couldn't quite put her feelings into words, so she sealed her note with a kiss.

"(The support) really says a lot about Vancouver," said Sidhu. "For the most part, people are truly proud of the spirit that's showing through."

Acting Sgt. Chad Machuik said he appreciates the kind words, and so do his colleagues.

"I've spoken to many officers and they're really grateful. They thank everyone for their support and it's nice to see," he said.

edit on 17-6-2011 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Either you are daft, or a troll. Nothing you are implying even makes sense.
Please completely explain what you mean with examples along with sources to back up your claims or stop being ignorant. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The people of Vancouver would be wise to ask why the police were not prepared for crowd control for a crowd of well over 100,000 people in game seven of a tense series.

From one perspective, one could winder if something like this will actually BENEFIT the police by giving them an opportunity to get a larger budget for more cops and the regional police force they've been wanting for a while now.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Please completely explain what you mean with examples along with sources to back up your claims or stop being ignorant. Thanks.
It is really sad when the name calling starts but it is a sign of what you speak"troll".

If you have read the posts here then you have many examples,that is what this whole thread is about "canada rioting"is it not?

As for my opinion,thats what it is,my opinion.I have no doubt hit a sore spot with you,grow up and quit being a self absorbed a**.

If you are a Canadian you are embarressing the "GOOD"ones,qiut trying to justify a tragic event.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

It is really sad when the name calling starts but it is a sign of what you speak"troll".

If you have read the posts here then you have many examples,that is what this whole thread is about "canada rioting"is it not?

As for my opinion,thats what it is,my opinion.I have no doubt hit a sore spot with you,grow up and quit being a self absorbed a**.

If you are a Canadian you are embarressing the "GOOD"ones,qiut trying to justify a tragic event.

If you can show me anywhere in this thread that I have EVER once tried to justify the riots please list it in a quote. It is about the Vancouver riot yes, but if you will read my original post you will also see it is about my frustration with people rioting in GENERAL over sports. You have not hit any sore spot with me, all you have done is confuse me with your assumptions. Thanks for the a** remark, first time I've ever been called that! Guess there is a first time for everything.

About your 'opinion' I believe it is ATS policy to at least try to back up our claims and opinions with some form of evidence. If you are going to make blatant claims that turn out to be wrong and still stick to them that is your prerogative.

I am Canadian, and know for a fact that I am not embarrassing any of my fellow citizens, except the ones without a brain I guess?

ETA if you are trying to prove that Canada was the first to riot over sports ever and America has followed in the footsteps I'd be happy to see your evidence. I have not checked to see who rioted first (I don't see how that is relevant anyhow) but IF that is what you're getting at, please cite your sources.
edit on 18-6-2011 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Sore losers, comes from a lack of winning but its all fixed anyway so why get mad

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

If you can show me anywhere in this thread that I have EVER once tried to justify the riots please list it in a quote. It is about the Vancouver riot yes, but if you will read my original post you will also see it is about my frustration with people rioting in GENERAL over sports. You have not hit any sore spot with me, all you have done is confuse me with your assumptions. Thanks for the a** remark, first time I've ever been called that! Guess there is a first time for everything.

About your 'opinion' I believe it is ATS policy to at least try to back up our claims and opinions with some form of evidence. If you are going to make blatant claims that turn out to be wrong and still stick to them that is your prerogative.

I am Canadian, and know for a fact that I am not embarrassing any of my fellow citizens, except the ones without a brain I guess?

ETA if you are trying to prove that Canada was the first to riot over sports ever and America has followed in the footsteps I'd be happy to see your evidence. I have not checked to see who rioted first (I don't see how that is relevant anyhow) but IF that is what you're getting at, please cite your sources.
edit on 18-6-2011 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)
It has nothing to do with first or second,it has to do with this thread on the riots in Canada and my opinion.

I could look up and give pages of "Sports related riots in Canada"as you did in America but what does it accomplish?proof we have idiots in both countrys? YA you bet.

The only reason people like you attack people like me is I have hit a sore spot so you start with "I want proof,I want sources"when a lot of it is right here in the thread,then the bickering goes on and on............I made a comment from what I have experienced and the posts in this thread.It was my opinion.............Do you really feel a need to keep whinning?Call me something rude and move on.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

You're just getting ridiculous now. I never once claimed any of the things you were implying and you MUST know that.

No I will not call you something rude. Not worth the trouble. Excuse me for trying to understand you, but I can see you don't wish to be understood.

I never once tried to claim that only riots happen in the US. I was simply responding to your comment of Canadians always riot at sporting events, which I then followed up with a few examples of Americans rioting at sporting events to counter your comment that this was a Canadian thing, and America will follow in their footsteps soon. That is all. I do not have a clue what sore spot you think you are touching with me. I have never once defended rioting ANYWHERE for sporting events. And I have no clue why you are implying that I think 2 wrongs make a right. I am the OP of this thread so I know exactly what I have posted here and what I mean and nobody else has had any trouble (that I can tell) understanding where I am coming from. You have somehow taken the things I have said and totally twisted them out of context to serve your own purpose. Why? I have no clue.

I will no longer be responding to your ignorant remarks.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join