It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lulzsec (hackers) take down Eve online / Minecraft servers (next victims in their ongoing attacks) -

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Ugh. I don't like them anymore.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

A message from our COO.

At 17:00 UTC today, CCP became aware of a distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS) against the EVE Online cluster and web servers.

Our policy in such cases is to mobilize a taskforce of internal and external experts to evaluate the situation. At 17:55 UTC, that group concluded that our best course of action was to go completely offline while an exhaustive scan of our entire infrastructure was executed.

While some may feel that such a drastic reaction was not warranted, it is always our approach to err on the side of caution in order to ensure the best possible service for our players and the security of their personal, billing and account information.

We understand the effect this disruption has had for our players and apologize for not having been able to explain fully to the community what was going on. In these cases it can often be counterproductive to containment to give out information while we are in the process of evaluating the scope of any potential problem.

Our taskforce concluded at 22:05 that neither the game servers nor the CCP infrastructure had been breached. Further, we can also confirm that no personal details such as users’ credentials or credit card numbers were exposed through this incident.

The servers were brought back online at 23:00 and we will continue to monitor the situation closely.

Again, we sincerely apologize for this disruption.

Regards,

Jón Hörðdal

Chief Operating Officer

Official statement from the EVE company.

Sounds like they did exactly the right thing and brought everything offline and set a thorough search to ensure no details were taken.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Ugh. I don't like them anymore.

Whom?

Lulzsec?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Since it's a conspiracy site - Maybe Lulzsec just hate miners.

Minecraft is all about mining right? But in Eve (if you're so inclined) you can also go mining asteroids for valuable, tasty ore.

Leave the miners alone!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Hacker Turf wars...

That's all we need.

Now while we're dodging bullets on the streets with gangs saying red is better than blue, we have to dodge DDoS attacks when "My lulz are better than your lulz!" start getting personal...

rofl, what a time to be alive..

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I was about to post this

Here's another link v..v

www.geek.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by zookey

How do we report this abuse of TWITTER to TWITTER to have their FEED taken down?

How do we get DHS to sieze the domain too?

Anybody know how to cut them off?

edit on 14-6-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

They are attacking government servers, gaming servers, apparently running a switchboard, god knows what else, and you think just having a sook at the twitter people will stop them?

I am positive that the idea has been considered already, but might not actually work as you expect.

Unless you want twitter compromised also?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

I can see this turning into a full on "government operation" as has been mentioned.

One problem.

The government cannot hack to save themselves. In this - they don't lead, they follow.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I cant wait for these tools to get caught and punished for their asshatery. How is it remotely funny or productinve to take game sites down?

Or is this their subtle way of telling everyone they dont have the mad hack skills to take on real targets?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by wingsfan

i'm not so sure anon did sony. i think lulzsec would find it funny to leave a file claiming to be anonymous and watch the ensuing fireworks.

Well reading the twitter feed, they are not on good terms.

/b/ has supposedly said they are going to go after lulzsec.

Looks like interesting things to come.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

It's an offshoot of /b/ so they should Like minors.

Oh miners... my bad

Minecraft is all about mining right? But in Eve (if you're so inclined) you can also go mining asteroids for valuable, tasty ore.

Sort of. It's more about spending hours and hours doing things like this:

SRSLY!!!11

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I figured it out...
Someone's house got greifed on minecraft and this is them raging...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Anybody else get the feeling that Lulzsec is a Government sponsored group to create enough Cyber False Flags, to allow the Government to actually crackdown on the Internet like they want to?

I don't know... It all seems... A little too... Random.

I mean going after some Government site that holds no specific purpose, but mainly against large games companies.
This will allow the Government to turn around and say they are being pressured by these companies to provide them security.
They could also use the pretext that they agree it is an issue considering their sites are being targeted too?

I just have a weird feeling about this...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by zookey

Zookey thanks for the heads up about Steam. Hubby and the boys use this.

I am not even going to pretend I understand what is going on..but like someone else posted, it does seem random.

Or maybe this is just them seeing what they can do, before hitting huge gaming servers that power games like WOW. not hip on the current big online games.. but remember that one was a big one (Okay shut up and quit laughing at me.. I don't play those kinds of games
)

At least Anon stood for something, while this bunch seems more like roving band of thugish kids pushing limits.

And you know what they say... "its all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out". I am willing to bet that once caught, this group of rugrats will be used as the oh so loved 'example' of what will happen to hackers.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sovaka
Anybody else get the feeling that Lulzsec is a Government sponsored group to create enough Cyber False Flags, to allow the Government to actually crackdown on the Internet like they want to?

I don't know... It all seems... A little too... Random.

I mean going after some Government site that holds no specific purpose, but mainly against large games companies.
This will allow the Government to turn around and say they are being pressured by these companies to provide them security.
They could also use the pretext that they agree it is an issue considering their sites are being targeted too?

I just have a weird feeling about this...

Or a group of hackers.

Can you provide e with one link where the govt. is this smart?

No?

Surely that is just because you are not clever enough. Your government are really clever no?

Unlkie Anon or Lulz

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Leave the miners alone!
For Empress Jamyl, the Veldspar must flow!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Apparently lulz have also attacked Bethesda, though I'm not sure of the exact reason.

I'm not sure what I think about this kind of thing. On the one hand you could argue that causing developers problems is only going to hinder them making good games. But on the other hand, it could be useful to have someone like lulz around, who would be the public voice of disapproval for various things.

Starcraft 2 and LAN play, Modern Warfare 2 and no dedicated servers. Stuff like that gamers want, and it seems complaining hard isn't enough to get it. So maybe a real sign of disapproval, which does more damage in terms of public relations to a company than anything else, could be the tool needed to get things done.

I'm undecided skewing towards supporting this. But it's really a matter of opinion whether a company needs to be hit or not. Activision, EA? Most certainly.

Originally posted by Anttyk47
I figured it out...
Someone's house got greifed on minecraft and this is them raging...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 15-6-2011 by Lazyninja because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

dude. i'm not gonna lie, that is extremely nerdy, but also impressive and commendable. Boeing should give him a few million to build a real 1:1 scale enterprise
pew pew

it puts to shame my pathetic attempts at a house.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
www.escapistmagazine.com...

Thread here regarding anon vs lulzsec

Go anon!!

Looks like more are in favour for anon.
edit on 15-6-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I DIG IT.

They dont seem to be that negative and it seems more like lighthearted fun than malicious, as far as i know no money or anything has been stolen and no real damage done.

They do exactly what their stated purpose is namely: to exploit weak security and make fun of them ie lulzec. Seems like classical hacking to me and what used to be considered the "good" type of hacking.

Its just a game of taking those that think they are shiznit and bringing them down to size, a bit of ego clipping. IMO

PS. I really enjoy their humour and dont think a Government OP would go that distance, its too original to be planned by a government. They really are lulz

edit on 15-6-2011 by demoncleaner because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join