It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lulzsec (hackers) take down Eve online / Minecraft servers (next victims in their ongoing attacks) -

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Anyone in the know or fans of either games, will have noticed all the servers have just crashed and have been taken down.

twitter.com...#!/search?q=%23eveonline

There was an attack on #minecraft and #eveonline. Luzsec is clearly behind this... I love how they find themselves so humorous.

and an admission by Lulzsec

LulzSec The Lulz Boat
Silly Eve have taken their entire network offline after our very simple DDoS attack. Oh well, another day, another lulz!

lulzsecurity.com...

^^ Their website.

exophase.com...

Hacker group LulzSec announced just moments ago that it has taken down the login servers that power Minecraft and EVE Online. This is the latest in a string of attacks that hit Sony, Bethesda, Nintendo, and others over the past couple weeks. Word on the antics comes from LulzSec’s boastful Twitter feed.

There’s no word yet on if account details of Minecraft or EVE Online users are safe. Prior LulzSec raids included leaked personal details, most recently on the 200,000 or so users of Brink. Those that have an account on either service may want to take extra precaution, just to be safe.

The group is also hammering games website Escapist Magazine with a DDOS attack, leaving the entire site inaccessible as of writing.

Well here's my blunt opinion. There's no gain in attacking a gamer network (besides lulz) - But I much prefer the boldness of anonymous who go after real targets like corrupt lawyers and dodgy companies as well as governments, security sites and police / security websites.

Has anyone got any info on Lulzsec? Are they related to anonymous, or are they wannabe's who have just figured out how to DDOS?

Some claim that despite what the media is saying, anonymous was not behind the recent Sony attacks, instead it may have been Lulzsec. At least that's what Lulzsec are claiming and I believe anonymous were quick to deny any involvement in the Sony attacks.

edit on 14-6-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
www.mobiledia.com...

Interestingly enough:

LulzSec hackers infiltrated the U.S. Senate and various other websites, adding to a slew of recent highly publicized attacks against governments and corporations.

The hacker collective posted pieces of code from Senate.gov, along with usernames and passwords, to its homepage.

"We don't like the U.S. government very much," LulzSec wrote on the site. "This is a small, just-for-kicks release of some internal data from Senate.gov -- is this an act of war, gentlemen? Problem?"

Government too!

LulzSec's latest exploits add to a growing list of hacks against corporations and governmental institutions. LulzSec itself has infiltrated Sony, Nintendo, Fox.com and even television station PBS.

The tongue-in-cheek group, which uses a text-based image of a pirate ship as its logo and plays "The Loveboat" as visitors enter its site, says it aims to provide "high-quality entertainment" with its antics.

Besides LulzSec, the leaderless hacking organization Anonymous has made recent headlines with its attacks against governments in the Middle East. Anonymous' activities are more politicized than LulzSec's, as the group targeted Turkey's government network with distributed denial-of-service, or DDoS, attacks to protest the country's planned Internet-filtering service.

Seems like everyone and anyone is a target. Whereas Anonymous usually almost always give a warning before they strike (Cease and desist) - whereas Lulzsec seem to just go for it without warning.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I've been playing minecraft off and on all day on a server and experienced 0 issues, so if that's taking it offline then it's a huge fail in my opinion... maybe there was a brief interruption when I went to get a drink of water?

Not sure about Eve online

Edit: Just signed out and back in .. Minecraft is still peachy..
edit on 14-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Also a thread here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't see the use of this i really don't, just for the 'lulz'.
they are feeling on top of the world now, just wait when it backfires.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I hope to hell that there are a lot of EvE players in AnonOps and they make a go at LulzSec.
Time for a god damn Cyber Civil War. It'll be interesting to see if LulzSec gets any retaliation out of Russia. EvE has a very large contingent of Russian players, mostly pvpers too.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think were going to find out that all these technological defenses and elite security teams we hear about ... see on tv.. films.. stories etc. Are just that.. fiction.. Cause when you get down to it the heavy investment in the digital age and networks are at the mercy of those who just understand it better.

And where we may have bought a few decades from hiring those bright minds who hacked int he past.. I think there's going to be a nigh to impossible chance of bribing the new generations.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
I've been playing minecraft off and on all day on a server and experienced 0 issues, so if that's taking it offline then it's a huge fail in my opinion... maybe there was a brief interruption when I went to get a drink of water?

Not sure about Eve online

Eve's defo off, as i was playing when it went down.

--

Just found THIS link, which seems to shed a little bit more light on these guys.

linearfix.wordpress.com...

LulzSec Takes Down ‘Jester Hideout’ at 2600

Now 'Jester' was a supposed master hacker who was AGAINST Wikileaks and anonymous, but apparently Lulzsec has attacked Jester personally.

This is very interesting stuff. It's like a civil war between hackers!

Just one day after the high-profile attack on the PBS website after they screened a negative WikiLeaks show, LulzSec has brought down 2600 chat facilities. 2600 is a popular hacking magazine based in America.

The attacks on 2600, were motivated by hacktivist ‘The Jester,’ who allegedly attacked WikiLeaks after the release of diplomatic cables from the United States according to The Register.

--

Who are lulzsec?

en.wikipedia.org...

Lulz Security (or simply LulzSec) is a computer hacker group that claims to be responsible for several high profile attacks, including the compromise of over 1,000,000 user accounts from Sony in 2011 of which only 37,500 were actually affected according to Sony. It has gained attention due to its high profile targets and the lighthearted messages it has posted in the aftermath of its attacks.

LulzSec claims to have hacked InfraGard, a company affiliated with the FBI that does work on botnet detection,[1] in June 2011. The group leaked some of Infragard's e-mails and a database of users.[27] The group defaced the website posting the following message, "LET IT FLOW YOU STUPID FBI BATTLESHIPS," accompanied with a video. LulzSec has posted the following message regarding the attack:
"It has come to our unfortunate attention that NATO and our good friend Barrack Osama-Llama 24th-century Obama [sic] have recently upped the stakes with regard to hacking. They now treat hacking as an act of war. So, we just hacked an FBI affiliated website (Infragard, specifically the Atlanta chapter) and leaked its user base. We also took complete control over the site and defaced it [...]."[28]

So they are happy to attack the government and gamers, which seems a bit conflicting, they also seem to be happy to attack other hackers.

But what about THIS? An act of mercy perhaps?

On June 9th, LulzSec sent an email to the administrators of the British National Health Service, informing them of a security vulnerability discovered in NHS systems. LulzSec stated that they did not intend to exploit this vulnerability, saying in the email that "We mean you no harm and only want to help you fix your tech issues."

So at least they had the guts to not attack a valuable part of the UK National health service. Well at least that's decent of them. But i'm still suspicious.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck
I hope to hell that there are a lot of EvE players in AnonOps and they make a go at LulzSec.
Time for a god damn Cyber Civil War. It'll be interesting to see if LulzSec gets any retaliation out of Russia. EvE has a very large contingent of Russian players, mostly pvpers too.

That's a very high probability, but I imagine lulzsec could consist of a small fragment of anonymous, like a splinter-group.

But yeah, taking down Eve / Minecraft is pointless, although I can understand them attacking Sony.

Strange days.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Everything they do is pretty retarded. Defacing a government website does nothing, doesn't prove anything and has no lasting effects. DDOS attacks don't usually last very long and then the site pops right back up.. pretty #ing lame.. and by no means hacking.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Ehh why do those idiots not understand that atacking random high profile servers without provocation and a good excuse (like in the wiki leaks case) will lead to a much tighter internet control by the governments with the approbation of the people .

I am really starting to wonder if lulz is not a government prepared provocation

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
What a heck is the point of doing this?

IMHO this is not very beneficiary to the mankind nor fighting any evils of tyranny!

So why are these kids doing this?

Was it just for the lulz!

Or perhaps intensive training for something else?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thill
Ehh why do those idiots not understand that atacking random high profile servers without provocation and a good excuse (like in the wiki leaks case) will lead to a much tighter internet control by the governments with the approbation of the people .

I am really starting to wonder if lulz is not a government prepared provocation

Me too. What better way to provoke the nerds, gamers, hackers, geeks and other techie's by attacking the very games they play.

Methinks it could be an attempt to create instability in the hacker community.

Or it could just be for the lulz.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Has there been a thread talking about the seemingly mass amount of hacks going on recently? Why the rampant increase in attacks? Someone needs to start a thread listing all the recent ones.

Minecraft though is small enough that hacking that probably wouldn't be much trouble for people with experience.

It'll be oh so funny when corporations and government take this as pretext for a massive crackdown on the internet. They'll argue that it's hurting everyone, including the average Joe, so it just must be done. Between hackers and piracy, I'm sure they'll have the case they want.

edit on 14-6-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
All I know is I just cleared out a drone exploration site, finished salvaging, bout to warp my Abaddon and Noctis back to station and boom.
The mighty Amarran Empire brought down by script kiddies.
Damned if I know why.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Twitter should delete lulsec account.

DHS should sieze their lulsec's domain.

I play eve. If Lulsec is a gov op to discredit ANON, it's working, turn the entire gaming support against them.

Why is TWITTER SUPPORTING lulsec by keeping their VERY HIGH PROFILE twitter account feed active? Makes one wonder.

Why has LULSEC .com not been siezed like the rest? Makes one wonder.

This is NOT the FIRST time CCP has been hacked., 2007, database HACKED and MODIFIED to exploit the game. lately, new forums hacked. Now this. And we do not know what was compromised.

Best we can hope for is a plain old DDOS, and no compromise, and CCP wake up and lock down the lot further.

I know I will be changing my password once its up. And watch my CC.

edit on 14-6-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

For a game like Minecraft that has been put together mostly by one guy working on his own, LulzSec should be talking with him about a security issue, not taking the game offline.

Eve Online is a much larger game, but the same rule applies. They are a small collective in iceland running a popular niche MMO. What’s the value in hacking them over doing them a favor and helping shore up security. Is it really for the lulz? I don’t think players paying a subscription will be laughing about those two hacks.

www.geek.com...

^^ A fair point actually. Minecraft is ONE guy's creation who has done extremely well with a lot of hard work. Eve online is a mature and brilliant game run by small(ish) company.

At least Anon had the balls to go for the corrupt people.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
And now they're just about to take down something else LulzSec Twitter

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Instaed of linking, can you also add the text?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
How do we report this abuse of TWITTER to TWITTER to have their FEED taken down?

How do we get DHS to sieze the domain too?

Anybody know how to cut them off?

edit on 14-6-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by zookey

Instaed of linking, can you also add the text?
Not much to add

We're eying up the next target... laying off Minecraft, so go play that. Preparing a cannon attack on our main artillery shells!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join