It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Who Executed Oscar Grant Set Free at 12:01 This Morning After Serving 11 Months

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Are you telling me that the gun the officer used had no decocker?

Or are you saying that his taser feels and holds like a gun with a decocker in a nearly identical position?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaryStillToe

Are you telling me that the gun the officer used had no decocker?

Or are you saying that his taser feels and holds like a gun with a decocker in a nearly identical position?

I was under the impression they used glocks as their duty weapons. Glocks dont have any decocker or traditional safety (safty is on the trigger, which is to say the gun can only fire if the person squeezes the trigger).

The old M-26 Tasers had a trigger action that mimicked a gun. The new X-26 Tasers removed that feature, but the premise is the same, squeeze trigger to deploy taser cartdrige.

The reason tasers are desinged they way they are is to allow their use in high stress situations where a person loses fine motor control and relies on muscle memory to perform / manipulate items.

Not saying this is what happened, but offering my opinion.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

What a horrible travesty. Just horrible. he murdered that kid.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The media and the people of Oakland are using the Oscar Grant issue to mislead everybody. The issue should not be a cop who may or may not have accidentally murdered a young black man who by the way, should not have been acting a fool fighting on BART that night in the first place or he would probably still be here today. The real issue should be why so many Black and Latino young men are murdering one another in the Oakland streets almost every night. Why isn't anyone "so-called protesting" in the streets for black men to stop murdering one another? They are doing it way more than the police are. No disrepect to the Grant family, however, It seems like the media and the people of Oakland are trying make this issue bigger than what it is, as if there are other agendas going on by certain parties involved. You have the "anti-police" people who will jump on anything that involves the police just to say "F--- The Police", secondly you have these "so-called protesters", (some mean well) however, most are there just to create more chaos, loot and destroy public and private property. Lastly, there is the media who seems to instigate the whole situation by literally egging the people on to tear the city apart because it will boost their ratings.

edit on 15-6-2011 by rivalbeast because: grammer issues

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahmonrarh
the B.A.R.T. officer knew the difference between his TASER/GUN.

accident? think not.

again...i cannot argue the seriousness of the situation here.
the dead man took a picture of the officer holding a taser BEFORE reholstering it and pulling out his firearm.
i own a taser/firearms and carry both. i SURELY FEEL the difference between both.

and in regular observation of officers i know, and those around the city that i see on a regular basis, carry both weapons in a manner that isnt easily mistaken. if this guy made a mistake in pulling those weapons, i believe that he honestly should'nt have been carry either.

take a look at this officer below. pause and pay attention to his DUTY BELT at 0:18 seconds.

can you find his taser? why yes you can....it's OPPOSITE of his FIREARM.

also, alot of officers use the HINDI system in setting up their duty belts (nevermind the advert, for example only)
to ensure ease of deployment and memory of what their reaching for, should deployment be necessary.

with all the officers i've seen with Tasers in my area and through media(not dramatizations i.e. fictional shows), deploying it requires one of 3 things:
1) Cross draw with strong hand(shooting hand)
2) Cross draw with weak hand
3) drawing with Taser opposite of firearm. (i.e. gun on left hip, taser on right hip, or vice versa depending on whether the officer is left or right handed.)

The human hand is one of the most sensitive appendages on the human body, containing up to 4,000 nerve endings. officers have to be mind/body connected(muscle memory comes to mind) at all times to assess threat levels of situations they are going into, and what tools to deploy based on the situation. accidentally discharging a firearm is bad. the weapon is already drawn which means an intent to pull it out, but to claim a mistake of pulling a TASER vs a firearm isnt a mistake..if you're a competent seasoned officer.

edit on 15-6-2011 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
They looted a foot locker as their protest?

What the hell is that all about? crazy.
anyone whom was actually trying to protest the actual shooting should have grabbed those idiots whom were starting to bust the windows and beat the snot out of them for making them all look like little more than opportunistic morons.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I want to say that having a fight on a train with no weapons is not a reason to justify a cop EXECUTING someone who was already handcuffed.

The reports say that he was trying to calm all his friends down and get everyone to cooperate. The video seems to confim.

The cop wasn't even aware of his criminal record when he decided to murder him. There really is no justifcation for the cop's actions.

I dont' see the fight on the train any different than men fighting at a bar. For a cop to intervene and actually murder someone in cold bold is totally insane.

edit on 15-6-2011 by MaryStillToe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Paul Slivinsky and Paul Garcia were employed with BART on Jan 1, 2009, and supervised Mehserle’s trainings on how and when to properly discharge his weapon. David Clark is a range master at Napa Valley College’s police program. Slivinksy, Garcia, and Clark each testified to the numerous safety mechanisms that exist on the gun, on the holster, and procedurally which should have prevented Grant from being shot. They each looked at the tape and said Mehserle’s actions were inconsistent with his training.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 15-6-2011 by MaryStillToe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
But what about young Black males murdering one another in the Oakland streets on a regular basis? Does anyone care about that? Young black men have been killing each other before and after Oscar Grant in Oakland, however, no one cares...The only reason Oscar Grant matters is because he was killed by a cop, if he was killed by another young black male this thread would not exist...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rivalbeast
But what about young Black males murdering one another in the Oakland streets on a regular basis? Does anyone care about that?

Did you google it?

Perhaps you should also consider how things are done here. Threads are created on a topic and that topic is discussed in that thread.

If you want to discuss another topic, then make a thread on that other topic. No one is stopping you.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Never heard about this....and it is truly shocking. Big brother scratching Big brothers back. How can you all idly sit back while your government mocks you. I once thought your country was the greatest country on the face of this planet. It gave the perception as the leading light on how to run a country. Now, from what I know, and what I see, and from growing out of naivety I see that it is just a corrupt, evil machine. It saddens me to think of how many will suffer from radiation over the next few months...but it seems no-one truly cares and everyone is of the opinion that it is out of your hands, on most topics. So be it.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Question, are you the killer cops dad or older brother or something, get the rotten apples out of the barrel before all we have left is a foul smelling mush, it's easy the police force will benefit from a wide ranging pruning of the nutters why even resist the idea

edit on 15-6-2011 by Thepreye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

accident? think not.

That's a very important link, thanks ahmonrarh.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

I note that the cops resisted having counters on their tasers so we can't count how many times they tortured someone with it.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Alright lets say he did pull the wrong gun out by mistake. But would you really tazer someone's head?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by rivalbeast
But what about young Black males murdering one another in the Oakland streets on a regular basis? Does anyone care about that? Young black men have been killing each other before and after Oscar Grant in Oakland, however, no one cares...The only reason Oscar Grant matters is because he was killed by a cop, if he was killed by another young black male this thread would not exist...

Seriously...What is the role of law enforcement? Well, the original meaning, not this current meaning?....Black men killing black men are no different from White men house robbing, raping and murdering a family. Or Mexican men executing a father in front of his family...

THE DIFFERENCE IS THEY ARE MEANT TO PROTECT US. FROM OURSELVES.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MaryStillToe

Which is fine but irrelevant for the legal review aside from just an opinion. Im not dismissing what the reviewing officers are saying so dont take it that way. 20/20 hindsight is not admissable in court when calling into question an officers use of force.

It can only be looked at in the manner of what did the officer perceive at the exact moment he used force.

I am glad though you brought this up because it is a factor in the charge he was found guilty of by the jury.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
*edited as the question I responded too was off topic*
edit on 15-6-2011 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye

accident? think not.

That's a very important link, thanks ahmonrarh.

not a problem, if the photo was admitted in court, with the time stamp visible, though the jury was likely biased, it's likely it MAY have led to a harsher outcome for the officer.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
This kind of stuff disgusts me. As far as I'm concerned someone who is given power, both physically and psychologically, over the masses should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen, not the other way around. Before you are given a gun and the authority to use it on another human being you should have to pass a rigorous mental evaluation and training course, not just some little 9 month program. It should be one strike and you're out. We don't need pumped up morons with guns running around above the law.

Even if it is true that he pulled the wrong piece and accidentally pulled the trigger it is still evidence that the PD are using people not qualified to handle that kind of pressure and civil responsibility. It's people like this that make the decent cops look bad, as few and dwindling as they are.

Even if this guy gets off his punishment easy at least he will still have to live with the knowledge that he executed a young defenseless man handcuffed on the floor.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join