It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favourite 5 Pop/Rock Songs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Justyc below has posted songs that move you, and the first 2 pages I read were pretty much classical pieces, so I didn't want to post mine in there.
Instead I thought I would ask you to post 5 "normal" chart/pop/rock songs and why these songs struck a chord with you. As I have found this is quite challenging in itself - you pick 5 songs out, but then think aaah what about this tune? but here we are - have picked now...

I will start with:

2 Funky 2 - Brothers & Sisters

Back in the early 90s - I had the amazing experience of working in a few nightclubs in Blackpool, which was just amazing - night blurred into day and into night again.
This was the club song at the time, on all the time and just reminds me of the quite amazing times I had...life seemed simpler.

Chris Farlowe - Out of Time

Always sing along with the folks after having a (good) few beers to this one - best 60's song by a country mile.

Human League - Don't you want me

Just quite simply my favourite song ever - simple as that. No real reason behind it just an absolutely amazing song.

Queen - Days of our lives

Best band ever in my opinion - Had to include one of their songs and its a tough choice, but this is just such a beautiful song I plumped for it. Always makes me sad but happy too?!

Yazoo - Only You

Odd as it sounds as its only a TV show - but if anyone has ever watched the UK office TV show, the Christmas special at the end, where Tim and Dawn finally get together and David Brent stands up for himself and the whole show was just gave me a real warm feeling - great television and an absolutely fantastic song that really helped with the whole scene...

honorable mention to those that didn't quite make it
Robbie Williams - Better Man
Rod Stewart - First cut is the deepest
Elvis - The wonder of you
edit on 13-6-2011 by facchino because: changed heading as didnt put 5

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Led Zeppelin-Stairway to Heaven

Child in Time - Deep Purple

. Behind Blue Eyes - The Who

A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
edit on 13-6-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I love this idea - in no special order

Because she used the word Reciprocity
(seriously, great song otherwise, but thats what originally caught my attention)

So many reasons....
but I will say this song has the best line ever,
- I would wait till the end, of time for you, and do it again its true
- I can't measure my love, there's nothing to compare it to

... I'm sorry but I'm just thinking of the right words to say, I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be - but if you wait around a while I'll make you fall for me - I promise... I promise you I will

I wonder if my reasons are obvious - great lyrics - meaningful

and no list is complete without something that SCREAMS 80's

I could've found something way cooler, but instead I went with something way meaningful. This video came out when I was 11, it was the first song I truly fell in love with, the first video I fell in love with, the first musician I fell in love with. This exact version.

S&F for the memories ♥♥♥
edit on 13-6-2011 by Forevever because: yeah I really am in love with 80's music

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
1. In my Life - The Beatles
The lyrics say it all for this song. It just hits a nerve

2. Everybody's Talking at Me - Harry Nilsson
I like the way he sings this song and it always gets stuck in my head whenever I hear it.

3. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
This is my favorite band and David Gilmour plays the best guitar solo in all time, IMO, in this song.

4. Echoes - Pink Floyd
This song is epic, especially when you sync it with Stanley Kubrick's 2001: Space Odyssey.

5. Whatever gets you through the night - John Lennon
The catchy one liners and Elton John going crazy on the piano will make this song get stuck in your head all night.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Against the Wind - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
The "Hemingway" among rock singers. Best `dues´ song.

The Voice - Moody Blues
From their best album (I think) Long Distance Voyager. Song just strikes a chord with me.

Rock Lobster - B-52s
Best party song of all time...at least while I was going to college.

Old and Wise - Alan Parsons Project
Will really get you thinking about your relationships with other people.

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Strictly a historical ballad but one that makes you appreciate the awesomeness of the Great Lakes.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Not in an special order, but here they are

1- Piano Man - Billy Joel (I've always wanted to go to a karaoke pub and sing it, when drunk. Still, i haven't found a single pub that haves it here
! and yeah, I do sing well
)

2- The Air that I breathe - Simply Red version (It reminds me of my mom, we love this song and we use to sing it together. Also, the singer looks exactly as one IRL friend on this video hahaha)

3- Don't Stop me Now - Queen (Queen is one of my fav bands ever, and this song just pushs me to work everytime)

4- Shine - Take That (this song also puts me to work everytime, and TT is one of my fav bands ever too. Nothing else to add)

5- Nights on Broadway - Bee Gees (Lovely lyrics, and i love the BGs)

I hate my mom, look, all the songs i love were her favourites once (but the Take That one xD)

BONUS TRACK
6- Pieces of Heaven - Mark Owen (when I'm about to crush, i just sit back and recall the chorus, it doesn't have an official video i think)

It was hard to me to deciede what were my fav songs... i have too many that i'd love to put here but... oh dear! they're so many, so many...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Metallica: The Unforgiven. It's about a personal fight against oppression in my opinion.

A vow unto his own
That never from this day
His will they'll take away

Did he finally get broken by "the man?" That's for the listener to decide....

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
It sort of speaks for itself. Especially when you have estranged or dead friends.
Wish you were here FPD!

Rush: Limelight
"...one must put up barriers, to keep ones self intact."

Ozzy: You Can't Kill Rock and Roll
They took Randy Rhodes. They took Randy Castillo. One day they will take Ozzy himself. But they will NEVER take rock and roll! It's here to stay.

Pink Floyd: Comfortably Numb
The last version of this song. As it was meant to be heard. With all 4 members. Dave and Roger singing.

When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown the dream is gone

Dave's playing is so full of emotion. You can duplicate the music, but not the feeling....

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
1. Anthrax - Keep It in the Family. This one always reminds me of how powerful and negative racism is, and how sad it is that people actually have that racist mindset.

2. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. I can really connect to this one because I have a paralyzing fear of the dark, and I can really relate to what they're saying.

3. Metallica - Fade to Black. I've suffered suicidal depression for a while, and this one, although it's about a dude committing suicide, has kept me going through it.

4. Megadeth - Sweating Bullets. Dave Mustaine wrote this because of, he says, his schizophrenia. I also have slight schizophrenia, so this one really sticks out to me.

5. Blind Guardian - Another Stranger Me. Another little psychosis of mine is multiple personality disorder. It's actually more like bipolar disorder, even though I have, like, three poles. This song pretty accurately describes the feeling of it.

edit on 14-6-2011 by CDWard because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-6-2011 by CDWard because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join