It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Glimpse of the (almost) Impossible....Have we Found our First White Hole ???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
Your more than welcome folks, I just love the concept of wormholes, so anything that supports the possibility, I am all over like a rash

Unfortunately I am failing in a riddiculous fashion in trying to excite my son in the same way, does anyone have any tips, or ideas on how I can make this all look cool, and attractive to an 8 year old ?

Buy him the original movie "Stargate" and a Director's Cut Box Set of all 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 for starters. What's not cool about stepping into the event horizon of a wormhole, getting disassembled, transported across the galaxy, and reassembled, just in time to wage battle with aliens? Make sure you watch it with him too; I watched many, many hours of TV with my kids when they were little. I can sing the lyrics (badly) to Barney, Blues Clues, Dora, et al, from memory right now.

I also turned them on to the things I was interested in, like science fiction. We've watched many movies together - his deal was the Star Wars franchise because he was just 8 when Episode 1 came out so it was cool - and followed a couple of series. Star Trek: TNG was the show we watched together most often.

Anyway, I digress from the OP.

I really liked the way this article was written. In my opinion it was it was informative, clear, and loaded with wit. "Ralph?" Really?
That's great! This was clearly written with the layperson in mind, and as one of those, I really appreciated the writer's style.

I just have one question: Do white holes and black holes each have a corresponding counterpart elsewhere in the universe? Does matter go into a black hole only to be spewed out of a white one somewhere on the other side of the Universe? OK, I guess that was 2 questions; but they were closely related.

edit on 6/14/2011 by OldCorp because: articles do not have style, but writers do.
+ S&F

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

thats an excellent question i would think they would cancel eachother out. but who knows maybe the strongerof the 2 might win. or maybe it would destroy the universe. or destroy a path to a trans dimensional multiverse. i wish i paid more attention in school i might be able to answer than.

great topic i love science!!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Just an idea,
Could a white hole be on the other end of a blackhole?
dimension wise.

I mean seeing a black hole 'sucks' matter into it and a white hole 'ejects'. Maybe some of the more space savvy people can awnser that.

Ah Oldcorp asked the same question i see. sorry OC need to learn to read entire posts.

edit on 14/6/2011 by OnlyLove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
That's an interesting article. I really do hope it was a white hole. I've always thought there was a white hole at the end of every black hole and I also think that's what started the big bang. Or an even more interesting thought, wasn't there an article here recently saying space/time was bigger and therefore older than thought possible? What if white holes spring up randomly throughout the universe creating life whereas black holes destroy it? Ying for every yang so to speak.

I'm no astrophysicist so it's all just thoughts in my head but what if.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
This is the image on the article which gives a simple, easy-to-read explanation of White Holes... an interesting subject indeed! I am reminded of the strict parallels between matter and anti-matter. If a white hole is the opposite of a black hole, and anti-matter is the opposite of matter... perhaps there is a relationship between WH's and AM?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
That is so cool!!!! A gama ray burst with no supernova?

eeeee

Thx for posting!

it is isn't it? Just really amazing. Still checking it all out.

Good to see you around, by the way.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by OnlyLove
Just an idea,
dimension wise.

I mean seeing a black hole 'sucks' matter into it and a white hole 'ejects'. Maybe some of the more space savvy people can awnser that.

Ah Oldcorp asked the same question i see. sorry OC need to learn to read entire posts.

Not a problem love.

I have a problem wrapping my head around the concept of "infinitely small," as a singularity is described. It would seem that at some point a great deal of mass would build up inside a black hole, and "infinitely small" just doesn't cut it anymore. How can a black hole compress all of the atoms that have ever been sucked into a roving, galaxy eating, Hoover of the Universe into virtual nothingness?

At some point, having a "release valve" would just make sense. I can totally envision the gravitational forces of so much accumulated matter ripping a hole in space time - just like a dam bursting - in an attempt to release the pressure. Nature is always seeking balance, equilibrium. "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." Isn't that what we've all been taught since the second grade? One would also have to ask, "Where does the matter being ejected from a white hole come from?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

This white hole stuff really is very exciting stuff

Personally with regards to whether it could be a black hole one end and a white hole at the other, whether they could cancel each other out, or create a stable portal to other parts of the universe, another universe, or just backwards in time, who knows ?

At the present time, I think its all up for grabs

Thank you for all your musings thus far, and suggestions for entrancing the 8 year old, very enlightening, will definiately give them a go

Note to old corp: Yeah Stargate ! Actually I have been meaning to show him the film, because they are studying Acient Egypt at school, and he is going to play Rah the Sun God in the school play

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by OnlyLove
Just an idea,
dimension wise.

edit on 14/6/2011 by OnlyLove because: (no reason given)

That's what the OP's link claims.

To me, it seems like a black hole might just send matter, via a time-space flux, through a white hole.

Meaning that black/white holes could be used as a portal system to move around the vast universe.
edit on 14-6-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
excellent thread my friend star and flag this subject has always been close to me heart and it makes perfect sense after all we all know that energy can not be destroyed just changes it form and i can't see all the matter swallowed by a black hole can just disappear it must reappear somewhere else i will be watching with great interest as to how to get your children interested in this subject my son has the same passion in space and he loves doctor who so maybe this program may help bring this subject's interest as it has with my son.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

I would imagine that is probably a very gray area of science...

Sorry, 2nd line, couldn't help myself

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
So would the stuff coming out a white hole be from our past or our future?

According to the article:

"The solution to this was to suggest that instead of terminating spacetime at a point, a black hole creates a funnel, or worm hole, which feeds out into a white hole in the universe’s past (don’t forget, spacetime is an amalgam of space and time, so if you can bend space, then you can also bend time)." (from the OP's original article here)

So, I guess stuff at the 'future end' is going through and coming out in the past? If that is what the article is saying, then that is probably the coolest thing I've heard in a long time! Wow!
edit on 14-6-2011 by AlphaBetaGammaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
i thought this series was interesting:

Google Video Link

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

This does not necessarily mean a white hole, but it could definable mean a wormhole. Since the concept of white hole was postulated, discoveries have found that a black hole is simply not going to do anything except dissolve. Most matter heading into a black hole gets swept away in jets and doesn't actually fall in. And what does get caught into the black hole does not go anywhere. A black hole is simply location where time has stopped. More gravity, less time. Less gravity, more time. The consequences of such, including the idea of an ergosphere, can allow for a lot of fun for our own desires for a warp ship some day. But that's not known enough for anything possibly.

Basically, a white hole cannot exist from known black holes because a white hole requires time to allow matter to go through the black hole. However, by the time the matter gets anywhere in a black hole, so much time has gone by that the rest of the universe is already over. Think of it as a stasis pod. That's basically all a black hole is. All the matter is right there. Now, the thing is, every day we discover new galaxies that push the limitations of how much mass can exist at a single point further and further. The problem with that is that there really isn't any black hole we have discovered that is powerful enough to fling itself back in time. Now it's freaking sweet if we do, cause then we have time travel.

Also bare in mind that a white hole, if I remember, can also be caused by something that goes at ftl speeds. So we may have just discovered some sort of very big boo boo of somebody.
edit on 14-6-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
So would the stuff coming out a white hole be from our past or our future?

Even stranger, it may be coming from an adjacent universe. String theory says that black holes can span branes, or other universes. The diagram below shows three black holes in our universe, the third one on the right spans our universe and an adjacent one:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a629793dc98.jpg[/atsimg]

So gravity, at least, can move between universes if you believe this theory. Maybe this will someday answer questions about Dark Matter and Dark Energy?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

LOL I thought this was a joke about white people, then I came in to find out it is actually something interesting.

Never knew about this white hole thing, but glad I know now.

It seems everything in the Universe has an opposite, interesting.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

But that matter has to be compatible with our universe. It would be like trying to put a mac thing in a pc. If its not compatible, kaboom.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reminds me of a "red dwarf" episode

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Very interesting. I've long doubted the theory about light and dark matter. Saying that the Universe is 90% dark matter has always seemed outrageous to me.

They may be on to something, but even the existence of white hole's is not verified yet. Talk about whether it creates time travel is, I think, a little premature. It could simply be that a supernova made it past the observers unnoticed. Maybe it was a very small star. It could perhaps have been very far away; perhaps supernovas can cause gamma rays farther away than thought. Because of the distance from this gamma ray could mean that the supernova wasn't able to be seen until later because of the way light travels.

Not to be too skeptical, but the theory that dark matter can become light matter seems plausible to me. However, this theory is very early, of course. A lot more will have to happen to make this theory in accordance with reality. It will most likely take decades or more before we'll really know anything about white holes.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

8 years old ya say??? Star Wars, its what got me interested in space. If you live near NYC bring him to Museum of Natural History they have some real neat space exhibits , oh and the Liberty Science Center too!
edit on 04/28/2011 by 4Starlight2Decay0 because: type error

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join