It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Glimpse of the (almost) Impossible....Have we Found our First White Hole ???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
A little earlier this month, I came across the following article....

A Glimpse of the (almost) Impossible Link

Whilst sat on the bus in between maintaining the peace between my two kids, and making sure we didn't miss our stop, I became intrigued,

The universe is littered with the weird and wonderful and GRB 060614 could turn out to be one of the weirdest and most wonderful of them all.

GRB 060614, which we’ll call Ralph to smooth things along, was a gamma-ray burst with some very puzzling properties detected by Nasa’s Swift satellite on June 14, 2006

The article goes on to suggest the possibility that affectionately named "Ralph" may have given rise to a white hole !

Now, five years later, a theory has emerged: it could be a white hole.

So could this be it ? have we just found ourselves a real discovery ?

Does this mean the Einstein-Rosen Bridge could become more than a theoretical model for time travel ?

The following was made back in 2008, so may not be entirely relevant, but poses an interesting question nonetheless....

Could a white hole have given birth to the universe ?

Note to mods : Please move if I have posted int he incorrect forum

edit on 13-6-2011 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
That is so cool!!!! A gama ray burst with no supernova?

eeeee

Thx for posting!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Oh thanks for posting thats quite interesting, Im going to have a read up on that now,

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Your more than welcome folks, I just love the concept of wormholes, so anything that supports the possibility, I am all over like a rash

Unfortunately I am failing in a riddiculous fashion in trying to excite my son in the same way, does anyone have any tips, or ideas on how I can make this all look cool, and attractive to an 8 year old ?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Oh thanks for posting thats quite interesting, Im going to have a read up on that now,

Please do, and if you could bring some of what you find to the thread, that would be fantastic

Searching youtube, for a good quality vid on the subject proved very differcult (I'm pretty sure I just spelt that wrongly ).

Interestingly enough I don't think Einsteins wormhole supported a blackhole/whitehole model, but two black holes, so I have no idea where the whitehole concept at one end of a wormhole came about, as I had always assumed Einstein had proposed a blackhole at one end, and a whitehole at the other.

Any light that can be shed would be great

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
Your more than welcome folks, I just love the concept of wormholes, so anything that supports the possibility, I am all over like a rash

Unfortunately I am failing in a riddiculous fashion in trying to excite my son in the same way, does anyone have any tips, or ideas on how I can make this all look cool, and attractive to an 8 year old ?

Try some of the pictures of nebula,galaxies and such.The problem is so much of our childrens imagination has been taken away.My daughter is 17 and Ive been talking to her about conspiracies, planets ancient aliens and some other things that interest me since she was as young, if not younger than your son. As long as you plant the seed,it will grow. Just continue to water it and give it time.If that doesnt work,,,flick a booger at it

PS: If hes a sci fi buff,,,theres your angle.Good Luck,,,oh S&F

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by consigliere

Thanks for your advice, yeah he does love space, and I have shown him the youtube vids with the to scale from the smallest to the largest in the universe, and he loved it. He also adores Doctor Who, almost to the point of obsession, but its trying to ignite his imagination with the more depth stuff I am finding differcult, but I guess your right, if the seed is planted it will grow.

The other day at school he managed to get a house point for knowing what a conspiracey theory is lol, and he got another one today for knowing the sun is made up of hydrogen, amounbst other things, so I guess he isn't doing so badly

A star for you my friend

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Ill just post up this link aswell for those scratching there heads at what a White hole is all about,
Its pretty complex and this is the simple version of understanding it, lol unless you are a maths genius then you wont have an issue at all, curious.astro.cornell.edu...

As for helping children get in to such things, It may be worth making up some games as a way of learning, you know you could be a black hole and another object or person could be matter ect ect, lol though being only 8 it may take some time,

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Ill just post up this link aswell for those scratching there heads at what a White hole is all about,
Its pretty complex and this is the simple version of understanding it, lol unless you are a maths genius then you wont have an issue at all, curious.astro.cornell.edu...

As for helping children get in to such things, It may be worth making up some games as a way of learning, you know you could be a black hole and another object or person could be matter ect ect, lol though being only 8 it may take some time,

Big thanks Asala for the link

And great advice for inspiring the kid, will have to get creative about this one, I like it. He's bright as a button, and I just know that if he could get enthused, he could take it a long way

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon

First of all You do not want to force it on him. Remember how kids think, if they think something is forced on them by parrents they will never (or at least not untill they are much older) accept it. Try to be casual about it, show him a few nice pics , maybe take him outside once in a while and show him some cool stuff in the sky ... If You have friends around that have the same interest as You, let the kid listen up while You have a conversation (even if it is a bit late for him :] ) Besides that , remember, he is still only 8 years old. Give him some time

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

Yeah I know he is only 8, still i like to try and keep some semblence of construction, believe it or not I don't actually ram it down his neck lol, articles like the one I found that began the thread, I do like to hand over to him for a read, but I think he just found it boring, so he never read about how cool it all was but I know if I could have presented it in a more interesting format that he would love it.

It would certainly beat me having to endure another conversation about how the daleks death ray has been portrayed throughout the ages, and knowing exactly which actor played the master in which episodes lol.

I even caught him the other week on youtube watching a vid which basically was a man's hand pulling out his doctor who dvd collection one dvd at a time, to show the cover artwork lmao.

I mean who, finds that interesting ??? lol

Thanks for your post

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
For every Ying....

There is a Yang....

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
So would the stuff coming out a white hole be from our past or our future?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Also thanks for the informative picture of Cookie Monster. I always wondered how he might react if confronted with fruits and vegetables. Now I know he is a potty-mouth. Thanks.

edit on 13-6-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I never knew there were white holes and i kinda wondered why.. if black holes take stuff in then you need white holes to spew it back out. I would have thought white holes would be a lot easier to find than black ones... sometimes i wondered if suns could be white holes spewing out energy...
edit on 13-6-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Space trully is wonderfull. No matter what your knowledge of it consists of, you can still appreciate and admire the wide array of natural wonders it provides us.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
So just a thought, On the other side of the white hole is in fact a black hole and what we are seeing is all the light from another area of space being sucked in to the black hole focused in to a tight beam.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
very interesting food for thought! as another poster had put it... for every yin a yang. so in that sense it would only be logical for a white hole to exist. i only hope we can find out more by way of exploration etc.

as for inspiring your little one... when i was around 8 years old i went to muesems quite a bit and attached was a planetarium which was awesome! i can honestly say that really sparked my interest in cosmology. maybe you could go to a planetarium together

perhaps there are some observatories in your area you can take him to?
just some suggestions
good luck!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Nice! Another question could be, do we even know if the "stuff" coming out of a white hole is even coming from our own Universe? What came first the chicken or the egg? Where do all the socks that never come out of the dryer again go? Why is "American Idol" still on TV?, These are very important questions that MUST be solved!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
i wonder what would happen if a white hole and a black hole ran into each other???

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join