It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Young to Wed-The Secret World of Child Brides: (your aren't gonna believe this one!)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
reply to post by Pythein

Read it well; BACKWARD CULTURES. Stupid, disgusting traditions mixed with despicable morals.

so ignorant... i can't believe my eyes...
so following that logic, when some american fathers make a child to their daughters, it's because of their backward culture and their disgusting traditions. am i correct here ?

reply to post by Pythein

and me i 'm in with you ; look like a battlefield here

but unfortunately, no matter what, it seems they will not understand that before looking at the splinter in their neighbor's eye, they first have to take out the log in their own eye.

they suffer from their american condition i believe, that team america syndrome

tv images->emotion->judgment. "critical thinking ? what ? f.u.c.k. that i'm american, i'm number one and i have tv so i don't need"

ps TheWalkingFox : you're even more out of track than i thought : i am neither indian neither a female lol so bravo for your perspicacity (sarcasm) & sweet dreams
edit on 13-6-2011 by XmikaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99

Originally posted by anon72
These men need to be tracked down and handled accordingly... by vigilante standards....

Right. Always fault the men OFC. Can't be the fault of the entire mindset of their society, or their religion, or their leaders. Nope just men. Always men. (gag)

Yes, men who cannot take responsibility for their lack of self-control, for their diseased desires.
Instead they blame the mindset of their society, or their religion, or their leaders. (gag)

Yeah, like women pedaphiles are a HUGE problem in the world. Yes, female pedaphiles exist, but pedaphiles are overwhelmingly MALE.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
No. A 14 year old is a child. Sex with a 14 year old - whether or not you're that child's "husband" - is rape. Rape is unquestionably abuse.

And no, you're not going to be able to convince me on anecdotal evidence - most of which seems to be more you trying to defend your own nationality than actual evidence, even - that the majority of these marriages are not consummated before the child is an adult.

But marrying at age 14 and younger is not unheard of in America.

Kansas The age of consent is eighteen. With parental consent and/or the consent of a judge, males can marry at age fourteen and females at age twelve. Common law marriage is recognized.

And most states allow conditional marriage - - as in if the girl is pregnant.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
While this might be illegal now, girls getting married at this age has been tradition in many cultures around the world for millenia.

It's only recent morality laws that have stopped this practice in most areas of the world, but the traditions are deep rooted in these societies.

Don't try measuring other societies through what is acceptable / unacceptable in your own.

It makes me laugh when people from the Western World try to hold themselves up as examples of a better morality.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by XmikaX

but unfortunately, no matter what, it seems they will not understand that before looking at the splinter in their neighbor's eye, they first have to take out the log in their own eye.

they suffer from their american condition i believe, that team america syndrome

Americans suffer from commercial conditioning too.

Its getting harder and harder to raise a child with real values. Religion certainly isn't the answer. Its become as corrupt as everything else.

It is a global problem. I don't have any answers.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Just because they are from another land/culture/religion etc doesn't change the fact the victims are Children. Children who had no free choice in the matter even.

The people entrusted to watch over them, protect them... are the ones arranging the dam weddings.

Like I said, the kids never had a fair chance.

If this is such a good thing, why isn't everyone over there doing it-in the public eye (meaning day ligth hours?)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I just had a chance to review the post. Wow.

I believe a lot of us would do something different if we had that chance again.... Life is funny like that.

But, you/we learn and move on-ready for the next time.

That's the best part of what you wrote.

That's something you got me thinking about. After the wedding, does the female stand a chance in hell of getting away from the male? Legally? I assume they can't file for any dissolving of the marriage contract.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

reply to post by XmikaX

If it is all good by the locals standards then why do they to the marriages in the middle of the night? And are worried about being caught?

Doesn't sound to legit to me.

Yes they are worried about getting caught. Did you not read the quotes you posted in your OP?

Because the wedding was illegal and a secret

That's just the starting line.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
I personally dont agree with it, BUT...
Their land, their culture, their laws. If that starts to happen in your own country, then fight it, revolt or exercise your rights against it... until then, please stop messing with other people's cultures.

It's not the rule of the land in India as their laws shows

The Child Marriage Restraint Act, 1929 (19 of 1929)
An Act to restrain the solemnisation of child marriage.

Section 2 : Definitions -- In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context:

(a) "Child" means a person who, if a male, has not completed twenty one year of age, and if a female, has not completed eighteen years of age ;

(b) "child marriage" means a marriage to which either of the contracting parties is a child ;

(c) "contracting party" to a marriage means either of the parties whose marriage is (or is about to be) thereby solemnised and

(d) "minor" means a person of either sex who is under eighteen years of age.

Section 3 : Punishment for male adult below twenty one years of age marrying a child

Section 4 : Punishment for male adult above twenty one years of age marrying a child

Section 5 : Punishment for solemnising a child marriage

Section 6 Punishment for parent or guardian concerned in a child marriage

Highlighted only few points more details available at - wcd.nic.in...
another pdf doc - lawcommissionofindia.nic.in...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
girls getting married at this age has been tradition in many cultures around the world for millenia.

it happens and happened all over the world but it is not by traditions or because of culture. every tradition every culture is about survival of the community, evolution of knowledge & technologies & passing through the generations = protection & education of the children.

No tradition, no culture has ever said (to my knowledge) "marry your children while they are children"; it's more about conditions on a case by case basis (with trends such as, for example, extreme poverty nowadays in some countries)

If this is such a good thing, why isn't everyone over there doing it-in the public eye (meaning day ligth hours?)

who said it was a good thing?

you have a real problem with your eyes mr log.

and your mind : it is stuck rejecting all the good points (and nobody in this thread ever said children marriage was a good thing) against that sensationalist and biased tv show that makes generalities from examples, that mix traditions and child marriage, child marriage and child abuse, that tv show you've been advertising here

TV show that is nothing more than propaganda against cultures (to make you feel :"how good to live in the west, how lucky i am") much richer and more interesting than yours (in term of arts, science & history to start with) that never asked their people to marry their children. Cultures from countries where incest and child abuse are marginal compared to your country (save Nepal for child abuse thanks to DISGUSTING AMERICAN sex tourists).

shame really i'm sure you could do much better than that, couldn't you ? as the saying goes, only idiots never change their views, so it's not too late to recognized how you were tricked to react emotionally rather than critically to the images they have fed you with.
edit on 14-6-2011 by XmikaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Its getting harder and harder to raise a child with real values.

no : tv, plastic toys, begging

yes: arts, meditation, languages, science, physical exercise

(which is more or less -remove physical exercise lol- how the educated indians - not corrupted by western society- raise their children)

so yeah very hard considering the nowadays western "cultural" standards on the raising of children... tv, plastic toys & marshmallow culture

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

so ignorant... i can't believe my eyes...
so following that logic, when some american fathers make a child to their daughters, it's because of their backward culture and their disgusting traditions. am i correct here ?

If the village is helping him conceal the ordeal from the police and if the village is supporting this then yes. Also yes if it happened to more than just one child in that village because arranging young kids to get married is tradition.

There are differences between cultures and so there are differences between a culture in a village and a culture in the big city. You can't spot this otherwise you'd know that rural cultures in these areas are backward as hell. So backward even that the other cultures in the country have made laws against these nutcase practices.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
If the village is helping him conceal the ordeal from the police and if the village is supporting this then yes. Also yes if it happened to more than just one child in that village because arranging young kids to get married is tradition.

There are differences between cultures and so there are differences between a culture in a village and a culture in the big city. You can't spot this otherwise you'd know that rural cultures in these areas are backward as hell. So backward even that the other cultures in the country have made laws against these nutcase practices.

If the countries concerned are 'taking care of it' and imposing laws to counter act these practice, when they can and they are not simply stood idly by when infractions against laws to protect children are circumvented, what exactly is the problem then? It implies that such practices are not officially sanctioned, which has really been the implication of those criticising these practices. If it is being addressed by the countries concerned, then I don't actually see an 'issue'.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Sorry but....Somethings gotta give this is wrong in so many ways.. APOLLOS to any I may have offended but flat out a woman is a woman and a girl is a girl. Why this isnt understood

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
And interesting follow up.

I saw this story today and thought it should be added to this... for properity I guess.

Girl has three kids aged 16

Tiny Tinka Angelova gave birth last month to her third child, son Dinko, just 23 months after she first became a mother. She was still playing with dolls when she met husband Biser Demirev — NINE years her senior — aged 13. The pregnant youngster was forced to leave school, married at 14, and now lives in poverty on a cattle farm in Saedinenie, central Bulgaria, 30 miles from her parents.

www.thesun.co.uk...
Check out the photo of this poor girl and her kids! Just too much.

edit on 6/20/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I am definitely against child brides and arranged marriage without consent.

However - - - Loretta Lynn was 13 when she married "Doo" Lynn. They were married in Kentucky shortly before she reached the age of 14. The Lynn family had four children before she turned 19.

It isn't just foreign countries.

And what is this young bride most afraid of? The government taking her children away.

Changing a Culture - - even the culture in parts of America - - is one of the hardest things to do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join