It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Young to Wed-The Secret World of Child Brides: (your aren't gonna believe this one!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

it's not the culture

it's the poverty & the lack of education : it is the lack of culture

nb : the previous post was edited to answer your other questions, obviously my answers are only my perceptions of those matter from my ongoing 10 years+ of experiences of life in india
edit on 13-6-2011 by XmikaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
What gets me is folks that like to defend this sick crap. Look ...we ain't stupid, you don't need to come on this thread and post loop holes and mumbo jumbo about these sick monsters that prey on children.

Evil it is.
edit on 12-6-2011 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

ya and they be defending aztec rights to cut hearts out too.

this shouldn't happen anymore.

there are plenty of people in the world!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Not only does the child herself suffer, but the society around her suffers as well - what degrades one person degrades everyone around them. That's a child who will not receive an education. it's a child who will live as a practical prisoner under the authority of her "husband" and the baggage of this "culture" like a millstone around her neck.

OK - - you've ranted about a culture.

What is your solution?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I'm sorry, no. If your culture advocates raping a child, then your culture - at least that part of it - is absolute garbage, and needs to be done away with.

Just curious - but where do you get raping a child from?

Not that it doesn't happen - - but is that the norm?

Or is it media sensationalism?

Well, each of the girls mentioned in the NatGeo article - save the 5 year old in Rajasthan and another girl who managed to talk her parents out of the marriage - have been bedded by their "husbands." Many have children.

The assumption would be that if you get married to the guy, and he's taking you to his home, he's not going to set you on the proverbial shelf and wait for you.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by XmikaX
reply to post by Annee

it's not the culture

it's the poverty & the lack of education : it is the lack of culture

nb : the previous post was edited to answer your other questions, obviously my answers are only my perceptions of those matter from my ongoing 10 years+ of experiences of life in india

Thank you. I really do appreciate your honest posts.

I've read other posts by you - - and they tend to be very straight forward.

I certainly don't mind being corrected by truth.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I'm sorry, no. If your culture advocates raping a child, then your culture - at least that part of it - is absolute garbage, and needs to be done away with.

Just curious - but where do you get raping a child from?

Not that it doesn't happen - - but is that the norm?

Or is it media sensationalism?

Well, each of the girls mentioned in the NatGeo article - save the 5 year old in Rajasthan and another girl who managed to talk her parents out of the marriage - have been bedded by their "husbands." Many have children.

The assumption would be that if you get married to the guy, and he's taking you to his home, he's not going to set you on the proverbial shelf and wait for you.

Probably not - - even though he is supposed to.

So - what is your solution?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Not only does the child herself suffer, but the society around her suffers as well - what degrades one person degrades everyone around them. That's a child who will not receive an education. it's a child who will live as a practical prisoner under the authority of her "husband" and the baggage of this "culture" like a millstone around her neck.

OK - - you've ranted about a culture.

What is your solution?

Already addressed this earlier in the thread - In fact I think XmikaX, as much as i find myself disagreeing with her otherwise, has also touched on it.

Education. This "tradition" is the product of a culture (or lack of culture, as XmikaX has put it) that sees women as nothing more than possessions for men, and girls as having no value aside from what they can be traded to men for. An effort to educate not just the girls but their families and their neighbors would bring a lit of good to these places and probably rather swiftly do away with these "traditions" - it's been happening in Africa, where clitoridectomies are on the wane thanks to educational efforts and the actions of local women and girls.

The key is to get these societies to place human value on women.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Education. This "tradition" is the product of a culture (or lack of culture, as XmikaX has put it) that sees women as nothing more than possessions for men, and girls as having no value aside from what they can be traded to men for. An effort to educate not just the girls but their families and their neighbors would bring a lit of good to these places and probably rather swiftly do away with these "traditions" - it's been happening in Africa, where clitoridectomies are on the wane thanks to educational efforts and the actions of local women and girls.

Thank you.

Now this is real discussion on a problem from another culture (or lack of culture do to poverty).

I never mind being wrong or misinformed - - - but I do hope for real knowledge and information.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

At 65 - - let me tell you - - America has come a long way itself in the value of women.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

it's not about traditions, it's about poverty and injustice.

it's about the western world rampage in those places that make the poorest always poorer;

it's about corporate globalization that makes the world always more materialistic with a direct influence on those poor people wish (tv & mobile phones nowadays) and attachment to money

it's about you yankees and your god damned life style that is killing the real and rich cultures of those places giving so little choice to those poor people on how they can manage to live their life, how they can survive in those conditions

you look for culprit ? look cnn. look fox news. look your army paid by your tax. look in a mirror.

human value lol... direct from the country killing millions all around for oil & control; what a sarcasm
edit on 13-6-2011 by XmikaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

At 65 - - let me tell you - - America has come a long way itself in the value of women.

I find myself wondering at times. 'Course, it seems to me that these days both sexes are being degraded into these totally myopic gender roles that seem more based off sitcom television than any actual tendencies.

But then, I'm that boy who was always more comfortable with a book than a baseball bat

Still, however far off the mark our society is in this regard, I think I can confidently say that we do stand above others like we're discussing here.Hell, sometimes I wonder if we ever go a little overboard on it

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

it's not about traditions, it's about poverty and injustice.

it's about the western world rampage in those places that make the poorest always poorer;

it's about corporate globalization that makes the world always more materialistic with a direct influence on those poor people wish (tv & mobile phones nowadays) and attachment to money

it's about you yankees and your god damned life style that is killing the real and rich cultures of those places giving so little choice to those poor people on how they can manage to live their life, how they can survive in those conditions

Oh, I understand the damage that the sprawling octopus of American corporatization is having om hte rest of the world. believe me, it's no mystery at all.

But, I feel I need to ask... Did child marriage not exist prior to this western corporate invasion? is it only a product of the last seventy years or so of our economic piracy of these other nations and regions?

I have to express severe doubts about that. While western propagation of third-world conditions is definitely a contributing factor, I don't think it can be pinned as the sole cause.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

i don't know; i may be indeed out of of track

where you are out of track is with your association of child abuse and child marriage which are just not related and not the same issue

once again, from my experience, child abuse is a much bigger issue in western countries.

then i don't think child marriage is a tradition anywhere and has anything to do with any local culture since it had happened all over the world all along the past centuries. whether the reasons are good or bad (and they probably are bad) we are not good enough on our side to judge them.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
After reading this thread, I looked up youngest ages of pregnancies - worldwide. The youngest person to give birth, (recorded) was an eight year old in Peru. There was a nine year old in China, and another child, still in "single digits", in Brazil. I personally know of an 11 year old American girl who was pregnant (actually I've known several 11 year old girls who were pregnant -- work related).

In all these cases, the father of the baby was the girl's father.

Incest is illegal in all these countries, but it still occurs.

What does this have to do with this thread? I don't know. Maybe that incest is illegal and immoral, but it still happens. Marrying a child may be illegal and immoral, but apparently it still happens too. Hopefully it's not the norm.
edit on 6/13/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
These men need to be tracked down and handled accordingly... by vigilante standards....

Right. Always fault the men OFC. Can't be the fault of the entire mindset of their society, or their religion, or their leaders. Nope just men. Always men. (gag)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

where you are out of track is with your association of child abuse and child marriage which are just not related and not the same issue

once again, from my experience, child abuse is a much bigger issue in western countries.

then i don't think child marriage is a tradition anywhere and has anything to do with any local culture since it had happened all over the world all along the past centuries. whether the reasons are good or bad (and they probably are bad) we are not good enough on our side to judge them.

No. A 14 year old is a child. Sex with a 14 year old - whether or not you're that child's "husband" - is rape. Rape is unquestionably abuse.

And no, you're not going to be able to convince me on anecdotal evidence - most of which seems to be more you trying to defend your own nationality than actual evidence, even - that the majority of these marriages are not consummated before the child is an adult.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

No. A 14 year old is a child. Sex with a 14 year old - whether or not you're that child's "husband" - is rape. Rape is unquestionably abuse.

And no, you're not going to be able to convince me on anecdotal evidence - most of which seems to be more you trying to defend your own nationality than actual evidence, even - that the majority of these marriages are not consummated before the child is an adult.

We have to remember, in the West, that childhood, in many ways is our invention. Prior to the Middle Ages, there was no concept of childhood, if you survived to the age of seven, you may be acknowledged as existing and put to education, but due to high infant mortality, very little effort was wasted on protecting children prior to that age. Up until very recently, 'children' would be expected to work to support themselves, with the majority having entered the workplace by age 14. Girls of better off families would be betrothed at puberty and the child would go to live with the family of the husband often at that age, but the marriage was seldom consummated, and it was actively and socially frowned upon for it to be so, until the girl reached the desired child bearing age. It was well recognised that the risk of death of both child and mother was increased in pregnancies of girls younger than 16 to 18, and their readiness would usually be decided by the females of both families. Since the sole purpose of marriage has traditionally developed for the production of legitimate sons and the creation of alliances, such matters were generally monitored by the wider family. There are exceptions, and court cases to demonstrate such abuses of the 'honour system' when the girl is inadequately protected.

I don't think that it is healthy for anyone to begin having sexual intercourse at an early age, and without medical intervention, it can be fatal for girls to get pregnant before the pelvis has fully developed, but I also think it is equally unhealthy to jump to conclusions about the practices of other cultures, especially on the basis of our own dirty minds. We have greater wealth and occupational opportunities that require extensive education, all of which allows our children to stay dependent longer, these choices do not exist for all peoples. And while perhaps they should, they do not, and we at least have the education to gain the perspective to understand how insulting accusations of perversion are on a people that take honour a darn sight more seriously than most in the West seem to. We really should try and evolve a little, a realise our standards are not necessarily better, just different.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I'm with you. Ain't no way is anyone going to convince me that this is okay by some standards.

Nope. Not gonna happen.

As always, put your own child in the scenario. You die and left her in the care of some great person. Then that person goes wacko and next thinkg you know, they are marrying your child... say... 6, 7, 8, 9, You pick an age where it would stop being abother to your heavenly overwatching.

Sorry. Just look at the face of the girl in the beginning OP. She isn't acting.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Pythein

Bla bla bla bla, bla bla bla, bla bla. Bla bla bla. BLala, blablabla, bla; blablabla.

Yes that happened. The question is why it should happen now. 2011.

The rural areas are backward as hell and I see these child marriages as nothing more than straight up child abuse and child rape. Sure, backward cultures may think of it as completely normal but that's because they have backward cultures. Read it well; BACKWARD CULTURES. Stupid, disgusting traditions mixed with despicable morals.

The only real solution has already been shared: Education. Education. Education.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
reply to post by Pythein

Bla bla bla bla, bla bla bla, bla bla. Bla bla bla. BLala, blablabla, bla; blablabla.

Yes that happened. The question is why it should happen now. 2011.

The rural areas are backward as hell and I see these child marriages as nothing more than straight up child abuse and child rape. Sure, backward cultures may think of it as completely normal but that's because they have backward cultures. Read it well; BACKWARD CULTURES. Stupid, disgusting traditions mixed with despicable morals.

The only real solution has already been shared: Education. Education. Education.

I agree, and that is what I stated, I merely qualified my statement with a little understanding, it is very easy to judge. We in the West are not immune from sex trafficking, both of children and adults, 1000s of women are transported forcibly around the world to meet the needs of the illegal sex trade every year, some 7,000 women it is estimated are brought from the Ukraine into Israel purely for the purpose of prostitution every single year. Your assumption that early marriages automatically result in early sexual experience is completely unsupported, and as Ladyinwaiting has already pointed out, the majority of sex between children and adults takes place within the home, between parent and child. You may not understand the traditions of these cultures and the reasons why they exist, but it would be wise of us to take care of the problems in our own back yards before we go judging others and the way they deal with theirs. We should all take time to understand where we ourselves have come from and be entirely honest as to whether in some cases it iscould be us that are backwards.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join