It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry Issues National Call to Prayer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Link

Texas Governor Rick Perry, who is currently testing the waters for a potential presidential run, has called on fellow Governors, as well as the American people, to join him on August 6 for a time of prayer and fasting for the nation. Among the Governors who have said they will attend the bipartisan event at Reliant Stadium in Houston, called The Response: A Call to Prayer for a Nation in Crisis, are Sam Brownback of Kansas and Bobby Jindal of Louisiana. Additionally, Rick Scott of Florida, Nikki Haley of South Carolina, and Christine Gregoire of Washington are expected to declare August 6 a day of prayer in their own states.

In their explanation of the reasoning behind the day of prayer and fasting, the organizers said that Americans “must come together, call upon Jesus to guide us through unprecedented struggles, and thank Him for the blessings of freedom we so richly enjoy according to His grace, mercy, and kindness towards us.” They stressed that the “historic crisis facing our nation and threatening our future demands a historic response from the church. We must, as a people, return to the faith and hope of our fathers.”

Noting that God specifically calls His people in times of trouble “to gather together and call on Him with one voice, one heart, and a unified desire,” they said that the “power of unified prayer from a humble gathering of the saints is found in the hope that He might answer us, and turn the tide of trouble and threats that stand against us.”

So this is supposedly the Republican savior candidate? Apparently we are too screwed to fix our problems so prayer is the best answer according to Perry.

Well maybe he is right only a miracle could turn this country around - and an answered prayer would count as a miracle in my book, but as a political move for a presidential candidate this really looks stupid to me. I have a question what does he hope to gain by this - I would bet anyone attending this event is already praying for things to get better. For non religious people like me, it has guaranteed he will never get my vote. The last thing I want is for the president to think he is channeling god for answers when he has the power to start a nuclear war.

Am I alone in being disturbed by this?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Reply to post by proximo

Be will gain the support of the Evangelical Right with this.

And as far as I know, the "religious" far outway the "atheists" in this country.

I am not a fan of Mr. Good-hair, but this will gain him browny points.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

I wish to clarify. It will bring him browny points among the general populace, not with me.

Ron Paul FTW.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by proximo
Link

Texas Governor Rick Perry, who is currently testing the waters for a potential presidential run, has called on fellow Governors, as well as the American people, to join him on August 6 for a time of prayer and fasting for the nation. Among the Governors who have said they will attend the bipartisan event at Reliant Stadium in Houston, called The Response: A Call to Prayer for a Nation in Crisis, are Sam Brownback of Kansas and Bobby Jindal of Louisiana. Additionally, Rick Scott of Florida, Nikki Haley of South Carolina, and Christine Gregoire of Washington are expected to declare August 6 a day of prayer in their own states.

Well I have no problem with people praying

However, greasy Perry is about the slickest politician the lord has ever created. The man could worm inside a whale's asshole just by walking by the ocean. This is pandering to the wink wink, theocratic society, faction of
the American right wing, that loves George W Bush and fascist governing principles that brought us todays
circumstance. They could have saved a lot of trouble contacting their buddy in the white house
five years ago, now they have to beg Jesus I suppose.

PS- sorry Lemon fresh if my rhetorical flare destroyed the nature of our agreement
edit on 12-6-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Reply to post by Janky Red

Well, Janky and I agree on something.

What are the odds.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Yes that Gov still believes that there is a bearded man hiding on a cloud up in the sky hearing us talking to ourselves.

What a silly fool. Its SCARY how fools like this get voted into such positions...

WOW.
edit on 12-6-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by proximo

Rick Perry is part of the Bilderburg cronies it had already been predicted that he would be running in this up coming election and supported by them to be the next President. Obama being viewed as a failure. He is drumming up support of the bible thumpers in an attempt to prove he is a right wing conservative. Just show how low life he is hiding God and Religion. Unfortunately the people are stupid enough to buy into their lies and deception. When will any of them ever learn. It not the corrupt politicians taking us into the pits of hell its the stupid people.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Personally i think this guy is just after media attention, god knows why but poloticians just love the spot light. I don't see how he could have a prayer of winning a general election after all of his secession talk in Texas.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
For where two or three are gathered together in my name,
there am I in the midst of them and will bless them.
Matthew 18: 20
KJV

Just as a note, I posted a thread last year
about the NC Gov. Beverly Perdue doing
the same exact thing.

I do not think it is a bad idea.
I think there are some good people
left out there that do make mistakes.
We are only human.

However at some point in time,
there has to be a request for forgiveness.
This usually comes during prayer time

I welcome the move by Perry.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.
Romans 3:23
KJV

What I do find particularly interesting
is that Obama was NOT invited.
hmmmmmm, volumes spoken there.

edit on 6/12/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
For those who believe in the power of prayer it is real. I believe in the power of prayer and feel that it has affect my life in a positive way as well as seen others benefit from it. It will not hurt you and have never heard of it doing so. Try it sometime. If there's anytime in history that we need to pray it's now. Hello has anybody been following the disaster in Japan. If you want to rant about something constructive I would suggest posting some positive suggestions to make this world a better place to live. I'm so tired of the whinning.
edit on 12-6-2011 by relocator because: correct spelling

edit on 12-6-2011 by relocator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

Originally posted by proximo
Link

Well I have no problem with people praying

However, greasy Perry is about the slickest politician the lord has ever created. The man could worm inside a whale's asshole just by walking by the ocean. This is pandering to the wink wink, theocratic society, faction of
the American right wing, that loves George W Bush and fascist governing principles that brought us todays
circumstance. They could have saved a lot of trouble contacting their buddy in the white house
five years ago, now they have to beg Jesus I suppose.

PS- sorry Lemon fresh if my rhetorical flare destroyed the nature of our agreement
edit on 12-6-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

Very well put! Perry would have never gotten to be the governor of the state if Bush had not bailed. He never would have won on his own merit. The man is a sleaze. A politician in it's finest form. He absolutely makes me want to puke.

edit on 12-6-2011 by kinnerarity because: blah blah

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Regardless of what anyone thinks of his religious views, like anyone else, he has a first amendment right to believe whatever he wants and to speak about them if he desires as long as it does not represent an attempt to implement an official government policy, which in this case, it does not. I have no problems whatsoever with his statement.

Likewise, no one is stopping you from voting against him for his religious views in the next election, either.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
He is a Christian, prayer is a usual thing for Christians.
What is the big deal? I don't see where he calls people to be forced to pray with him, or to his god.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
He is a Christian, prayer is a usual thing for Christians.
What is the big deal? I don't see where he calls people to be forced to pray with him, or to his god.

A very wise man once told me "God uses good people for his gain, and bad people use God for their gain". Me thinks this is one of those situations that he was speaking of.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
How much is this prayer fest costing the tax payers? Are the teabaggers concerned about government funds going to a day of prayer? Forget whether you like religion or not. Do you like your government spending money to pray?
edit on 12-6-2011 by Kitilani because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Rick Perry knows how to stroke his party faithful. Claiming bipartisanship doesn't make it so.

This will be a collection of mostly white, older, conservative, GOP members.

I'll bet there will be campaign contribution envelopes in abundance at the "prayer gathering"

Anyone that can't see thru this charade must be a supporter or a moron.

edit on 12-6-2011 by whaaa because: code 46

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I wonder...will Rick Perry be saying a prayer, asking forgiveness for his decision to force Texas school girls to take the HPV vaccine? This man is vile folks!

Bypassing the Legislature altogether, Republican Gov. Rick Perry issued an order Friday making Texas the first state to require that schoolgirls get vaccinated against the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer.

By employing an executive order, Perry sidestepped opposition in the Legislature from conservatives and parents’ rights groups who fear such a requirement would condone premarital sex and interfere with the way Texans raise their children.

Beginning in September 2008, girls entering the sixth grade — meaning, generally, girls ages 11 and 12 — will have to receive Gardasil, Merck & Co.’s new vaccine against strains of the human papillomavirus, or HPV.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Also of interest from the same article:

Perry tied to Merck
Perry has ties to Merck and Women in Government. One of the drug company’s three lobbyists in Texas is Mike Toomey, Perry’s former chief of staff. His current chief of staff’s mother-in-law, Texas Republican state Rep. Dianne White Delisi, is a state director for Women in Government.

The governor also received $6,000 from Merck’s political action committee during his re-election campaign.

The order is effective until Perry or a successor changes it, and the Legislature has no authority to repeal it, said Perry spokeswoman Krista Moody. Moody said the Texas Constitution permits the governor, as head of the executive branch, to order other members of the executive branch to adopt rules like this one.

Legislative aides said they are looking for ways around the order for parents who oppose it.

This is a BIG indicator as to how Perry would handle business in Washington....corporate sellout, circumventing the will of the people, etc...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Just as a note, I posted a thread last year
about the NC Gov. Beverly Perdue doing
the same exact thing.

Well look at how THAT turned out. Any positive examples of what changed? Speaking of old threads, weren't you the one with the Obama is a half human alien hybrid theory?

ON TOPIC:

Perhaps it is a Kiss your a$$ goodbye celebration for Comet Elenin.

This place is a real hoot, now pass the plate.

/MD

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani
How much is this prayer fest costing the tax payers? Are the teabaggers concerned about government funds going to a day of prayer? Forget whether you like religion or not. Do you like your government spending money to pray?
edit on 12-6-2011 by Kitilani because: (no reason given)

It's much better than spending our money on deceptive wars. We waste money on menstruating, dope smoking primates, but what an abomination to spend some on a day of prayer. Nothing has been spent out of public funds for this day of prayer, and I imagine funds will be donated to cover costs, or already have been.

Do you have knowledge of government spending in this matter, aside from a proclamation and press release?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join