It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comfort or conflict: Earlier Down syndrome test

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Comfort or conflict: Earlier Down syndrome test

www.breitbart.com

For years, many women have gone through an experience like hers: a blood or ultrasound test that indicates a heightened risk of the syndrome, followed by a medical procedure to make a firm diagnosis by capturing DNA from the fetus.

Usually it's the needle procedure Witkowski had, called amniocentesis, done almost four months or more into the pregnancy. Sometimes it's an earlier test called CVS, or chorionic villus sampling, which collects a bit of tissue from the placenta. Both pose a tiny but real chance for miscarriage, and experts say highly skilled practitioners are not available eve
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
What to do. You can know find out 9 weeks into a pregnancy if your child is going to have Downs Syndrome. Eugenics much? My personal idea on this, and it is my opinion only, humnas are flawed. People are flawed. Society is flawed. Our world is flawed. Life is flawed. To try to perfect it, with "weeding" out folks like this is to invite a nightmare into society.
What will be next? Short people? Brown hair? People with vision problems, heart problems, CF, an alphabet soup of disease names?
We're walking down a dangerous path.

Tread lightly.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I agree this is a very slippery slope to start going down. But do people have a right to know and take the actions they feel are necessary for them? That's the big dilema I suppose and not a good one at that.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
I agree this is a very slippery slope to start going down. But do people have a right to know and take the actions they feel are necessary for them? That's the big dilema I suppose and not a good one at that.

A line has to be drawn somewhere. But the tricky part is not where the line is drawn, but who draws it?

Thanks for your reply.

I personally don't have an answer to this dilema. I can only go by what I would do. When it comes to my child, I didn't even want to know the gender. I justs wanted to make sure he was healthy. Would Downs fall under health? I know that I wouldn't have given up my son regardless. But that was my and my wifes decision to make.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

And im sure youd happily trade lives with that babie that just suffocated alive trying to take its first breath because of a genetic deformity of a lung.

It nice to think up wild and rediculous ways in which darth vader could make everyone be born with a shorter right leg, but in the end stuff like this gives a human conciousness that grows up in our society a functional and healthy body. Go make yourself retarded and see how much better that is than your normal brain where you could feed and clothe yourself.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This ought to be a fun debate to watch....

I wonder what it will be like when they learn to detect gays and/or liberals in the womb. Will the liberals still be pro abortion when it is they who are being aborted? Will they support that the way they support this?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by beezzer

And im sure youd happily trade lives with that babie that just suffocated alive trying to take its first breath because of a genetic deformity of a lung.

It nice to think up wild and rediculous ways in which darth vader could make everyone be born with a shorter right leg, but in the end stuff like this gives a human conciousness that grows up in our society a functional and healthy body. Go make yourself retarded and see how much better that is than your normal brain where you could feed and clothe yourself.

I consider abortion to be murder. My opinion. Eugenics is a path that is arbitrary because it is mans' decision and biases will be entered into the equation.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Now that is a good point..... If homosexuality is genetic would somone prefer the mutation to be removed? Are there any gay people that wished they were straight? Are there any straight guys that wished they were gay?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
This ought to be a fun debate to watch....

I wonder what it will be like when they learn to detect gays and/or liberals in the womb. Will the liberals still be pro abortion when it is they who are being aborted? Will they support that the way they support this?

Exactly! There is NO moral guidance that is ultimate here. Peoples biases will come to play. Political ideology WILL be a determining factor in eugenics.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
This is indeed a slippery slope. I feel that the parents have the right to decide in the case of something like Down's syndrome.

My reasoning is that with advances in medicine people are living much longer and to give birth to someone that will require care their entire life is a bit selfish since once the parents pass on the burden of care will be placed on other family members or the state.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So the second a sperm enters an egg it becomes a magical sacred idol?

Why is selecting the small cluster of cells with the prefered genetic arrangement be something called murder?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Why is selecting the small cluster of cells with the prefered genetic arrangement be something called murder?

Because the second a sperm enters the egg it becomes life potential. I'll only offer my bias for this debate. I know that it is a difficult one and an emotional one to discuss. I consider it murder. You may think otherwise.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adamanteus
This is indeed a slippery slope. I feel that the parents have the right to decide in the case of something like Down's syndrome.

Would the case hold true for cystic fibrosis? Heart disease? Diabetes? Where is the line drawn?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I see your point and it's valid but the question is where do you make that cut off point at? Is a little retarded ok for you to let your child live or would any abnormality be reason enough for you to end it's life? There was a lady who's daughter was not going to live long after birth but she went ahead anyways and held the baby for no more than a few minutes after she was born.

In those few minutes though she said that something happened between her and her daughter that was irreplaceable, a bond formed if you will, so who's to say what may or may not happen. Perhaps an abnormality today may be cured a few years down the road. I respect your position and completely understand but I do not think a lifes decision should be gauged by a person's inconvienence.
edit on 12-6-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

reply to post by Exuberant1

Now that is a good point..... If homosexuality is genetic would somone prefer the mutation to be removed? Are there any gay people that wished they were straight? Are there any straight guys that wished they were gay?

Are there any straight parents who want gay kids? No, and that's what counts here. No one knocks up their wife and hopes for a gay or retarded child.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
It's definitely a controversial subject. I refused to have an amnio, and was prepared to deal with whatever came. Some might say that approach is irresponsible because why bring a disadvantaged person into the world? It's strange, I can understand both sides of the argument. My youngest sister was born with down syndrome. She is now 16 years old, and I love her very much. She can read, write, function pretty normally, just differently. A mild case to be sure, but some children have a much much more difficult time of it. I think unless you're in the situation yourself as the parent, or the child, it's hard to be a good judge of what is right or wrong. I know I have absolutely loved the opportunity to know my little sister and be a part of her life. She is a blessing and a joy. That being said it takes so much courage to embark upon the journey of raising a child who is different, you can kiss your normal life goodbye and hope you get some financial help from the government or have some good savings set aside because it's going to cost you a lot of $$ as well. If you knew you did not have the means whether financial or emotional/mental stability needed for the challenge would it be irresponsible to have the child? I don't know. Tough questions I'm glad I've never been faced with. Wouldn't envy that position at all.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Would the case hold true for cystic fibrosis? Heart disease? Diabetes? Where is the line drawn?

I personally draw no lines when it comes to someone's right to their own bodies I am so far away from right to life that I am far past pro-choice and am in the realm of pro-abortion.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Not magic, just sacred.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

There are no easy answers. Are there? Even if I knew before hand, it'd be immpossible to categorize the joy that my child has brought.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Adamanteus

I am an evictionist. It is the best position to take.

Check it out:

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join