It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FaceBook Just Got Real!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I am so glad to see this!! I recently just removed myself from Facebook, actually it's probably been close to 6 months. It feels so good.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD
reply to post by badw0lf

The Tor network itself is quite secure, the traffic within it is encrypted however when the traffic leaves the Tor network and re-enters the public internet, any data being transmitted is visible to whoever runs the Tor exit node.

Which means unless you use your own encryption, any plain text data sent can be captured.

That (my friend) is EXACTLY what i am trying to say about Facebook!!

And which I agree entriely about.

did I say otherwise, gosh I have to check now, I never know what random crap I say at times, and I do say some rather funky things.

I'm sure I was in agreement tho... Oo

if not, why wanst I tho. lol

edit on 13/6/2011 by badw0lf because: that guy cant use quote tags, gtood thing I am a quote code master... wait...awww

AWW!!

Now Im mixing up kudos with ohsureyas!!

I really need to get a sleep routine.. this carousel is full of they can never tell..

Oo
edit on 13/6/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shawny2222
I was shocked when I saw that if you filled out the city that you live in, clicking on it brings you to a map showing where you live in that city. I never gave Facebook my address. I only typed in the city and state and on the map it had that hotair balloon thingy pointing exactly where my house is located on my street. The physical address was not shown, but if someone really wanted to track me down they could just stalk my street, watching which house I come in and out of. And they can cut out watching half the street if the balloon thingy is showing my house is on the south end of the street. Ya know? Also, when I had my account activated to be updated via SMS, my phone number was on display! So I went and I removed that info and changed my settings. I know a genious hacker could find that info anyway, but at least it's not right there in the open anymore.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

there are many features such as this built into technology these days that people don't notice, don't understand or agreed to without reading. ALL the new digital cameras (including cellular phone cameras) geo tag the date, time AND location of every picture you take. Posting a bathroom mirror picture online is essentially the same as putting a dot on a map where your bathroom is.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Haha. I'm going to get some post-its and a sharpie and I'm going to "like" things in the real world. That is an awesome form of protest.

Social networks could be a tool, but in reality they are the first phase of our complete transformation from a complete sensorial experience in "outdoor" social space into a virtual, audio-visual-only social space.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Sphota because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sphota
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Haha. I'm going to get some post-its and a sharpie and I'm going to "like" things in the real world. That is an awesome form of protest.

Social networks could be a tool, but in reality they are the first phase of our complete transformation from a complete sensorial experience in "outdoor" social space into a virtual, audio-visual-only social space.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Sphota because: (no reason given)

Can you "like" my thread? (a.k.a. star and flag)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I must respectfully point out that many things are being exaggerated on this thread and that doesn't help people with their education and denial of ignorance.

You are not going to be able to use the very low resolution photo of a person's eye for biometric identification. Even if you were, with which database would you be cross-referencing? Biometric passport databases? You know how to get into those right? Also biometric identification is nowhere near as accurate as Hollywood would have you believe, it generally has a very high rate of failure which is why several measurements are often used in combination (fingerprint, iris scan, facial recognition etc).

A car performing text-to-voice to read out Facebook messages does not enable you to know where the user is going! What string of logic led you to that conclusion?

Knowing somebody's IP address (how will you get that by the way, as a standard user of this site without access to server logs or similar?) is not going to let you know about every message they ever post online.

You can prevent other people from tagging you on Facebook, it's a setting in your privacy preferences. You can also de-tag yourself from any pictures you don't want to be associated with.

"ALL the new digital cameras (including cellular phone cameras) geo tag the date, time AND location of every picture you take" - that's just not true! For a digital camera to track your location it needs to have a GPS unit built in, and this is by no means standard although I admit it is becoming more common. Also, this functionality can be easily switched off. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but if you are going to be emphatic enough to write ALL in caps you should be able to back up what you're saying.

"Even if your account is private TPTB and Facebook staff (not to mention hackers) can still see your information and/or pictures." - the same applies to everything you ever do online, staff at your ISP can see all of your traffic so I don't see the reason for singling out social networking here.

There are a lot of assumptions about Facebook users here. Not everybody wants to have a massive number of friends - I often delete some of mine to keep the number manageable when I find that I am not using the medium with those individuals very much. I don't put info like addresses and phone numbers on there. I do find it useful for keeping in touch with certain people in a light, casual but useful way. I still use the phone, I still go out and see people, this is just another medium on top of those things, it doesn't have to replace them. Some of my friends prefer keeping in touch online and I want to stay in contact with those people.

I'm no huge fan of Facebook but almost all of your arguments can be applied to all information people disclose about their lives, be it over the telephone, in filling out forms or online. I'm not saying skilled, targeted hackers couldn't get at a lot of the info you are talking about, but you make it sound like any script kiddie with an internet connection can know every detail of your life just because you decided to join Facebook. The best catburglar will be able to get into your house, the best private investigator will be able to find out stuff about your life, but they have to have a good reason, and if the reason is good enough you can't stop them, and the same applies to hackers.

I was victim of a stalker for a year of my life and he ended up trying to kill my girlfriend (and I'm not exaggerating) so I am not talking from a place of ignorant bliss here either. This was nearly 10 years ago and had nothing to do with Facebook - stalkers existed before the internet was around. Reading through this thread (thanks for it by the way, because it was interesting at least) I can't help finding just_julie's arguments to be the more balanced and rational. People have to have a reason to target you, and while it is wise to be aware, Fear Makes the Wolf Grow Bigger!

I don't intend any disrespect, just felt that some of the statements on this thread needed a bit of balance bringing to them.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
If you post anything online, Facebook or otherwise, thinking it will be private, you probably shouldn't be online in the first place.

Always assume everything you do online is public and act accordingly.
Likewise, is your life really so interesting as to make you the target of every hacker, government and ad agency out there?

Be smart about what you do with your computer and online and you'll be fine, but never ever assume.
edit on 6/14/2011 by dethduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by morkington

All this coming from someone who had a stalker that tired to KILL someone they know? I respect your comments and your contribution to this thread but i feel you are greatly mistaken. I believe your mis-understanding stems from age. The majority (85%??) of social media users are between 13-25 years of age. Most of these people don't realize they are being monitored and don't understand how to stop it. These people live their entire lives online. These people think it is un-natural to not post their pictures and locations and EVERYTHING else online. You probably remember a time when you didn't even use the internet, these people know of no such time. Some people have always had GPS and if you gave them a map they would be clueless. That would probably seem weird to you but this is just the way the world is being conditioned for the future coming events. Every facet of life WILL be digitized and seem perfectly natural to people living two generations from now.

check this thread out and tell me what you think

Click Here

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by morkington

Please tell me why they did this??

As we've previously reported, Apple's iPhone is tracking and recording users' locations without ever giving individuals the chance to opt-out of the process. There were suggestions that turning off the device's location services feature — which is on by default and necessary in order for many apps to run properly — would put an end to the tracking, but testing reveals otherwise.

LINK

This was found by MISTAKE!! Why was this feature added? Why didn't they disclose it? If you think this is an isolated incident you are sadly mistaken. There is currently a huge push to collect all of the data possible on EVERYBODY. The internet is how they will accomplish it.

I was using a video chat application on my iPhone 3GS. The video connection froze but the audio was still working so i kept talking. Minutes later the video started working again, instead of going straight to real time it fast forwarded until it caught up to the live spot. This is when i realized the whole video conference was being recorded and stored!! I never used the app again!!

edit on 6/14/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: fixed link

edit on 6/14/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
People are Obviously 'waking up' to the manipulation of social networking et al FaceBook and it's competitors..

Facebook denies losing users
www.bbc.co.uk...

When a company starts to deny that there is a problem then you can be pretty sure there IS a problem.........

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

They are losing users due to ONE fact, people are realizing that Facebook is just a test run for things to come.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOrangeBrood
Social media is the future of marketing, business, and politics.

All the more proof it will be used for evil.

Facebook is a Dark portal.

Open it at your own risk. You never know what will come through it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Lifttheveil likes this post

(Like)
Lifttheveil commented on ProphecyPhD's post

(Like)
Lifttheveil changed his status to Browsing ATS New Posts
(Like)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Only six more days until this opera starts. I absolutely can not wait!!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
2 days left till the opera starts and i'm reading this thread People Are Being Fired For Comments Made About The Vancouver Riot and take one guess what the culprit is...... FACEBOOK!!

"I didn't do anything. I did nothing wrong. I was just there," he said.

He did, however, post several pro-riot status updates on his Facebook page, including statements like "atta boy vancity!!! show em how we do it!!!" and "vancouver needed remodeling anyway...."

Mcilvenna listed Rite Tech Construction on his profile as his employer, and the morning after the riot, he was called in by the boss and promptly fired

"I just didn't feel like what was said was appropriate, and I didn't want any affiliation towards my company with the things he said on Facebook," Reitz said.

winnipeg.ctv.ca...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
You can't make this stuff up!! I was reading the daily news (NY) online and ran across a story about a guy holding a hostage in a standoff with police who does what....... UPDATES HIS FACEBOOK!!

Valdez, who has a long criminal record including convictions for aggravated assault, locked himself and the hostage in the room after police attempted to serve him with a warrant for a drug offense.

"I'm currently in a standoff … ready for whatever, I love u guyz and if I don't make it out of here alive that I'm in a better place and u were all great friends.... " he wrote at one point.It wasn't immediately clear if cops were following his updates in real time. In total, Valdez made six posts and added at least a dozen new friends during the standoff.

"Well i was lettin this girl go but these dumb bastards made an attempt to come in after i told them not to, so i popped off a couple more shots and now were startin all over again it seems ..." he wrote in a finalpost.

His Facebook friends offered him advice during the ordeal.

"Please j do the wrote thing," posted one person.

"Dude, you're an idiot," another wrote.

www.nydailynews.com... tml

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
So the opera has started, the reviews are in and we finally get to see a little bit of the actual performance!! I hope this does well and is able to come to America, this and Spiderman are both on my summer play wish list!! What do you think?

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join