It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FaceBook Just Got Real!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
First of all, great video! Of course I ran to Facebook so I could share it with my five hundred friends!

I wonder if there is really going to be an opera about this?

Secondly, it is very easy to compile a dossier on someone from googling them. I don't even need your FB account or your twitter, go ahead and lock them down. I can glean enough nuggets from what other people post to or about you, to have no problem in developing a good file you. (I am talking about avid social network users for the most part, but really anyone anymore.) If I have your name, I have half the work done. If I have a name and approximate age, or location, I can find out a lot about you online. You can lock your pages down, but unless all of your friends do, then it is fair game. And for people who live with a phone in their hand, glued to technology 24/7, I have seen very internet ignorant people using these services/social networks. They twit their every move, they FB their every mood, they tag every photo, they geotag their locations, then want to complain about privacy or being stalked. Ha! I say if you put it out there you want people to know about it. It is good to be cautious, because you never know who is watching you online.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by just_julie

I am not saying be afraid. I am saying be AWARE. Do not let ignorance deny you, Deny Ignorance!! All i am giving you is knowledge.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

there is actually a setting where you can choose not to be tagged in any photos. I cannot be tagged, even if someone uploads a photo of me, which is rare because I am very particular about being photographed. Sure...you could say...."what if the hackers can bypass that?"....and we could play that game all day. There are security measures one can take...are some of them obscure as hell?....oh yes, but that is why you do things like explore the parameters on your account. Every week I check out the security settings on mine to see if they have introduced any new things I need to disable...and I disable them. I cant be found on foursquare, gps and even my address has changed since signing up. The only truly personal information I post on facebook is how Im feeling that day. Not everyone on facebook is clueless as to what it is. Its a powerful machine...hell...even I use it for business. Funny story, last week I was looking for dancer shrugs. its an article of clothing. This week I am bombarded with ads for shrugs.....on ATS. If you want anonymity...get some TOR software...or a CB....otherwise it doesnt matter where you go online. Facebook is a drop in the bucket.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

The OP is not saying be afraid but I sure am. I am telling you right here and now that you are knee deep in the dead for social networking. You're ripe for being chipped tagged tracked and gagged.

But what do I know.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

So your telling me that ATS isn't a social networking site. If your posting on this site you have an account with a username and pw. You have a profile, you can post pics, likes & dislikes, you can send messages and you can chat. I say hmmmmm....and you think your off the grid? lol

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

isnt the irony here hilarious? I agree with you 100%

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

Email made exclusively for this site and use of Onion router (TOR) or other proxy. It's not perfect but it works reasonably well. Tor > Proxy Website > ATS ~or~ Netbook > Random unsecure network > Tor > Proxy website > ATS (for leaking information) of course it would be ideal that the netbook be encrypted using TruCrypt and running Linux of course.. You know anything that can die in a fire.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

So your telling me that ATS isn't a social networking site. If your posting on this site you have an account with a username and pw. You have a profile, you can post pics, likes & dislikes, you can send messages and you can chat. I say hmmmmm....and you think your off the grid? lol

ATS is a social networking site, this is true. The difference is ATS members do not post:

1) Locations
2) Pictures of themselves or their surroundings (excluding my "alien spacecraft" brethren) lol.
3) What they are doing at any given moment.

On ATS you don't have to give away your age, schools you've attended or anything else. ATS is mostly for information (surprisingly NOT about YOU!!).

That being said, if you download Ghostery you will still see that ATS tracks where you surf (on the internet) and what you look at (as 99% of the other websites do as well).
edit on 6/11/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: typos (i need to use the preview function) lol

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I'm sorry but here on ATS you can post your pics and location. I feel no one would want to steal my identity. My life sucks. It's lonely and I'm a hard worker. Oh by the way feel free to steal my debt. I keep hoping and praying but it ain't happened yet.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

"I HAVE 953 FRIENDS!"

Really? Friends on FB are akin to S&F on ATS...they really don't do anything except make you feel important for some reason.

edit on 11-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Thanks. I just blew coffee out my nose all over the desk.

S&F to feel important.......I suppose some here do.....

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
social network sites aren't mandatory.
they are what you make of them.
don't like them? don't use them!
edit on 11-6-2011 by neonitus because: ugh.

edit on 11-6-2011 by neonitus because: puncuation.
What are you talking about, they are mandetory for sheeple. I doubt many people can put up with being asked "have you got a FB account?" all the time, and having to answer "no". That would cause most sheeple to feel outcast, and they can't handle that feeling. This is classic sheeple psychology sir.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries

Finally a way to identify just how useless and ridiculous Social Sites are.

If you need to put everything of yourself online, you have some very serious identity and insecurity problems IMO.

If you must stay in touch with family, friends etc, there's email, video chat, personal blogs...and oh yeah...the phone or maybe a coffee shop.

Why be naked to the World? I just don't get it.

"I HAVE 953 FRIENDS!"

Really?

edit on 11-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

"I just don't get it" is a true statement. Social networking sites have all the controls you need to include or exclude everyone and anyone you want. It is not naked exposure. There are all sorts of people that keep in touch with only family members, or other members of a club, group or organization, etcetera.

There is nothing to fear but ignorance itself.

Go to google and type in 'John Smith' ...click on the first link...how is that private?

I can see everything about 'John Smith'

John Smith was not required to list his real name. And perhaps John Smith is not his real name. You are right, there is no privacy on the Internet for those that choose to live in the open unprotected. This existed well before FaceBook and other social networking sites were created.

We both know long gone are the days when the unknowing would create web pages and/or blogs in which they unwittingly shared details with anyone owning a PC/laptop and access to the 'net. I don't know about other countries but in America one wouldn't have to research very hard to find (a guess) some 100 different printed articles that have appeared in all sorts of newspapers, magazines, periodicals & online 'zines etcetera warning people of the perils of exposing oneself online.

I play many of the lame games on FB. Most require 'friends' to help with expansion, gifting etcetera. Nearly 3/4 of my so-called 'friends' use nonsense names for identification purposes. John Smith (or someone pretending to be JS) made a personal choice to use John Smith as a name online, voluntarily.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I've found out more about people on other websites than Social Networking sites, I wanted to know if I lived near someone who's blog I caught a glimpse of, all I had to do was type in their name, they don't have a facebook, but a news article about their family popped up from a little while ago and bam, I knew where they lived. I think social networking sites are stupid if you a.) live your life on them, b.) post too much info, etc.

I like knowing what some of my family/friends are up to without having to find a time we're both free to talk on the phone, and some of them I can't visit. Not like phone calls can't be tampered with anyways. I agree that it's stupid to have 1000 friends and post every little detail of your life, but I think my usage is fine...I have my nickname as my name, I don't have any personal details up since my family and friends know that anyways, I don't add random people I don't know, I don't even post very often, and what I do post is not something that needs to be hidden from anyone.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avyuir
I've found out more about people on other websites than Social Networking sites, I wanted to know if I lived near someone who's blog I caught a glimpse of, all I had to do was type in their name, they don't have a facebook, but a news article about their family popped up from a little while ago and bam, I knew where they lived. I think social networking sites are stupid if you a.) live your life on them, b.) post too much info, etc.

I like knowing what some of my family/friends are up to without having to find a time we're both free to talk on the phone, and some of them I can't visit. Not like phone calls can't be tampered with anyways. I agree that it's stupid to have 1000 friends and post every little detail of your life, but I think my usage is fine...I have my nickname as my name, I don't have any personal details up since my family and friends know that anyways, I don't add random people I don't know, I don't even post very often, and what I do post is not something that needs to be hidden from anyone.

You just said exactly what i was trying to say. By the way Avyuir, all that we need to do is scan your eye (in your picture) to build a profile on you. YOU posted that picture of your own free will did you not? You would be surprised what could and or IS being done.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I do to have friends!! Look!! Facebook even counts them for me!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRemedial

Originally posted by just_julie

You are right in what you are saying that people can find stuff out about you, but what people? Who? Honestly what makes you so special?? Or me so special for that matter? Why should I feel afraid? What should I be afraid of?

A wolf
(Second line)

Hello?

I had typed a long reply detailing how any and every little piece of information an individual leaves on the internet, be it forums, blogs, irc logs, comments, etc, ALL ADD UP.

Then decided it sounded like a rant, and canned it.

But the point of it was, every little thing you leave on the internet, no matter how meaningless you think it is, it doesn't take much to compile it into a rather scary set of docs that has been obtained entirely from the public domain.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Oh please do recollect then post!!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
There is only so much that i can say, i absolutely LOVE input!!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRemedial

Man it must take 2 hours to load the front page and get to the forums, let alone post!

Hope there is no one sniffing exit node traffic on you! It's all unencrypted from the exit node to your secure proxy.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
reply to post by TheRemedial

Man it must take 2 hours to load the front page and get to the forums, let alone post!

Hope there is no one sniffing exit node traffic on you! It's all unencrypted from the exit node to your secure proxy.

Wow, you just lost me there. Care to spiral orbit until you land back on this thread?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join