It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insomnia, and NOTHING works to fix it. I am looking for those who might be able to offer their exp

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Get away from that nagging and dragging idea that you NEED sleep to function.

The more desperate you are getting "really needing that sleep", the higher the chance you wont get it.

You really need to realize that you can also function with none or very little sleep - and then NOT going to bed to "seek" the sleep but going to bed rather with the intention to rest and really, really believe that if you were to get no sleep (or maybe only 1 or 2 hours) things would not be so bad.

The art here is that you must be aware that you are not lying to yourself, you must KNOW and really be convinced that it is no big deal if you don't get 8 hours a sleep...and rather welcome your bed as a way to relax (whether this will result in sleeping or not ...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Most of these Posts provide some really great info.

You may also want to google 'the basics of salicylate allergies' AND go to WebMD.com website and click on the link for Salicylates. This website provides great info about this topic.

Aside from the trauma possibly causing PTSD, it's possible you may also have a 'salicylate sensitivity', as this is commonly found in a wide variety of foods and products. Then check out 'non-salicylate foods and products'.

Try a 'non-salicylate diet' for a week or so, along with some of the suggestions on these Posts, and see if that helps. Then, instead of eliminating these foods (the salicylate food list is quite lengthy and most of the foods listed are healthy foods we all consume regularly) eat mostly 'non-salicylate foods' for a week or so. Non-salicylate foods are also healthy, they just don't contain the main ingredient found in aspirin.

Salicylate is the main ingredient in aspirin, but it's also in some shampoos and lotions and many foods, such as avocado and eggplant, blueberries, etc. This website provides lists of the specific 'salicylate ingredients' to look for on cosmetic product labels.

Anything that touches our skin ... and I mean anything, enters our bloodstream with in 20 seconds ... especially cosmetics and household cleaners ... even if it's only in minute amounts. That's why recovering alcoholics should avoid cosmetics and products (especially toothpaste and mouthwashes) that contain alcohol. Many products, including anti-aging creams, body lotions and most sunscreens will have "alcohol" listed as an ingredient ... which actually dries out the skin even more, so that the consumer will use more, and therefore buy more of their crappy product. But, alcohol in products could be affecting you as well. I purchase all cosmetics and skin lotions on-line from a company that manufacturers only 'alcohol-free products'. It costs a little more, but it's sure worth it.

Also, chocolate and colas and sodas contain caffeine, not just coffee and tea. A friend of mine couldn't figure out why she had trouble sleeping since she didn't drink coffee after mid-morning and then she realized she was eating a bowl of chocolate ice-cream an hour before going to bed ... not a good idea. Chocolate contains caffeine, as well as other foods. "Contains Caffeine" is not always listed in the ingredients or on product labels.

So, I'd look into 'salicylate foods' and 'non-salicylate' foods, and 'foods containing caffeine' ... go from there as well as seeing a trained professional regarding the trauma ... Hypnosis or REM Therapy, etc.. Good Luck.
edit on 20-7-2011 by Jana12 because: typo

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
past few nites havent been able to sleep. literally up until 10am hoping it will eventually happen

melatonin used to work, but its not working anymore.

also noticed no birds and no crickets.

lifestyle/routine/stress issues aside,

is it possible planetary/magnetic activity can cause disturbances with normal sleeping patterns? sometimes i feel this weird vibration in my body for a few minutes a day.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Get up at 5 am.
Immediately run 5K.
Work hard all day, (not sitting at a desk).
Get home and do hard physical labor till late in the evening.
Do this everyday.

You'll no longer have insomnia.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well the heavy medication is very dangerous because..... JK
sorry couldnt resist.

NOW IN ALL SERIOUSNESS. I had the same problem for a while a few years back. I went to the doctor and they said something about my mind not being able to shut off when my body did hence insomnia. They prescribed me ambian and it worked but I didnt want to live on that strog of pills. So I eventually quit taking them. and after a while I started sleepin on my own. do you take time to wind down before bed? if not I would suggest trying to take the last hour before bed and just veg out and tryin clear and shut down your mind. maybe meditation mite work.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Sometimes you have to actually go to bed to sleep.

People think they'll just suddenly fall into a coma as they type rhetoric at 4am.

Routines. You break that and start a new one, like not being able to sleep.

You don't wana get into bed at 10pm or 11pm right? That's too boring.

So stay up and join the club.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
DRUGS !!!

OH yes, lets load you up with more pharmaceuticals.

Your issue lies within your endocrine system, ie..your hormones.

The first step is diagnostics. Your car has a dashboard that tells you what is wrong (no gas, low tire pressure...trunk is open, oil is low, low battery etc)

The human body has no simple dashboard to indicate what may be wrong, so you get your blood work done and have your doctor go over your results.

Your issue is most likely with your thyroid... hypothyroidism.

Everything else is just guessing until you get diagnostics....

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I have the same problem.
I was diagnosed as Bi-Polar and told that my mind has trouble shutting off.

I lost my mom in 2004 and my fiance' passed away in 2007 and my guess is that and the many other friends who have passed over the last few years has really messed me up.

Valerian used to work for me but now it doesn't

I'm currently prescribed 300mg of Seroquel every night and sometimes that don't even put me to sleep.

I wish I could get regular sleep but I have come to the conclusion that it's never gonna happen ever again, and I have accepted accepted this fact.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

... about the weird vibration ... google ... Mary Kurus and vibrations

I've heard real good things about her. I heard that her success rate is very high and I plan to contact her soon. Her program is not a quick-fix. It's a process and a lifestyle change, but it looks like something I will surely look into the near future.

You may want to read the information in the Link on her website that covers 'underground vibrations' and how they affect our moods, health, sleep, etc. ... very interesting.

Also, check out my above post.

Hope that helps.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheArchaeologist
Hello, I am in my mid/late 30's.

4 years ago I had a traumatic even happen to me, and since that time I have had issues with anxiety. I am not a wallflower, I THRIVE on extreme sports, racing, snowboarding climbing, you name it. However this issue involved a child, and affected me in ways I cannot explain.

I'll skip over therapy etc. Yes, I have been.

Here's where I am. I can take 5 lunesta, and literally 10 klonopin, and it does ABSOLUTELY nothing to help me sleep. Please don't explain how dangerous this could/can be. I am well aware. However after living for years not being able to sleep, you become less worried about such things.

I am not ignorant, I am not a drug addict, I am not a drinker, I have a high level job, but lack of sleep or poor sleep for about four years is just too much.

The pharmacist says ambien and lunesta ARE the two most potent out there.....I am half afraid to ask the doctor again because he really is trying.

Anyone else had this problem? Did you find a drug that worked?

Thank you in advance!

Please no PROPOFOL JOKES. This is quite serious. And I would prefer no herbal remedies etc, not that I dont believe in them, but I am well past the strongest stuff out there.

There are audio programs out there that walk you through step by step into a sleep inducing relaxed state. My spouse has the same problems, and can never make it to the end of the audio before drifting into a deep sleep. Don't knock it before you try it....seriously. It really is all in your head - as in, you have to retrain your brain to shut off when it's time to go to sleep. This really is the only solution to your problem. Drugs won't cure you, although, if you still need help, I would recommend getting OFF the drugs completely for a while to get them out of your system, then switch to Valerian or something more natural.

Look for something like this: Guided Relaxation

I'm not promoting this particular CD, and I have no experience with this one. It's just a simple example of what you should look for. Some work better than others, but the bottom line is that you have to be willing to give them honest and repeated effort. Usually, most people are believers after the first use. For you, I imagine it will take a few times to really get use to the routine, but I would be very surprised if it didn't work for you.

Someone else mentioned earlier about hormones - that will definitely cause problems with sleeping. Your diet directly influences your endocrine system, so if you're eating foods that are producing too much estrogen (a lot of them do), regardless if you're male or female, you will have trouble sleeping. Also, take a Calcium supplement with added vitamin D. A lack in these has also been linked to insomnia.

If you have the money, go to your doc and have him/her run a complete hormone/vitamin panel on you to see what your deficits are. This can be very revealing on many levels. The blood doesn't lie. Then you're not sitting there popping pharmaceuticals trying to treat a symptom instead of the cause. LEARN THE CAUSE, then you will cure the insomnia!

Good luck!
edit on 26-11-2011 by Gseven because: content

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gseven

Originally posted by TheArchaeologist
Hello, I am in my mid/late 30's.

4 years ago I had a traumatic even happen to me, and since that time I have had issues with anxiety. I am not a wallflower, I THRIVE on extreme sports, racing, snowboarding climbing, you name it. However this issue involved a child, and affected me in ways I cannot explain.

I'll skip over therapy etc. Yes, I have been.

Here's where I am. I can take 5 lunesta, and literally 10 klonopin, and it does ABSOLUTELY nothing to help me sleep. Please don't explain how dangerous this could/can be. I am well aware. However after living for years not being able to sleep, you become less worried about such things.

I am not ignorant, I am not a drug addict, I am not a drinker, I have a high level job, but lack of sleep or poor sleep for about four years is just too much.

The pharmacist says ambien and lunesta ARE the two most potent out there.....I am half afraid to ask the doctor again because he really is trying.

Anyone else had this problem? Did you find a drug that worked?

Thank you in advance!

Please no PROPOFOL JOKES. This is quite serious. And I would prefer no herbal remedies etc, not that I dont believe in them, but I am well past the strongest stuff out there.

There are audio programs out there that walk you through step by step into a sleep inducing relaxed state. My spouse has the same problems, and can never make it to the end of the audio before drifting into a deep sleep. Don't knock it before you try it....seriously. It really is all in your head - as in, you have to retrain your brain to shut off when it's time to go to sleep. This really is the only solution to your problem. Drugs won't cure you, although, if you still need help, I would recommend getting OFF the drugs completely for a while to get them out of your system, then switch to Valerian or something more natural.

Look for something like this: Guided Relaxation

I'm not promoting this particular CD, and I have no experience with this one. It's just a simple example of what you should look for. Some work better than others, but the bottom line is that you have to be willing to give them honest and repeated effort. Usually, most people are believers after the first use. For you, I imagine it will take a few times to really get use to the routine, but I would be very surprised if it didn't work for you.

Someone else mentioned earlier about hormones - that will definitely cause problems with sleeping. Your diet directly influences your endocrine system, so if you're eating foods that are producing too much estrogen (a lot of them do), regardless if you're male or female, you will have trouble sleeping. Also, take a Calcium supplement with added vitamin D. A lack in these has also been linked to insomnia.

If you have the money, go to your doc and have him/her run a complete hormone/vitamin panel on you to see what your deficits are. This can be very revealing on many levels. The blood doesn't lie. Then you're not sitting there popping pharmaceuticals trying to treat a symptom instead of the cause. LEARN THE CAUSE, then you will cure the insomnia!

Good luck!

Nice to see someone understands the importance of diagnostics !!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheArchaeologist

If you truely do have a high level job I'm amazed you even find time on public message boards. If this is the case then perhaps you're not up to stressful job?

Can't exactly help if we don't know what happened to you 4 years ago. Seek professional help if it's controlling your day to day life. Coming on ATS is not going to help you.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Hi

Insomnia is awful, and it's a syndrome that feeds itself. My partner and I both suffer from insomnia.

I have coped with mine by not taking drugs and detoxing heavily. No alcohol, caffeine, wheat, dairy, yeast, sugar etc. I sleep with the seasons and find that 4 - 5 am starts are when my body feels best.

If I want to go to bed at 6pm, then I go to bed.

I use binaurals and also seek to make myself yawn as much as I can. I also wear ear plugs.

I wake up when the sun, birds and sky wake up. With a four year old, this should be achievable.

However you may be suffering something different.

My partners insomnia s caused by PTSD. He exhibits hyper vigilance - and needs to walk the perimeter a few times a night. Hes gotten better over the last en years, but that's been with a fair amount of head work on his part.

My guessing is that the event 4 years ago left you with a bit of PTSD.

Take it you've looked at that?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Try making your own magnesium oil, all you need is epsom salts and water, 1 cup of salts to 1 cup of boiling water. Then put it into a bottle and let it cool. It'll last for ages. Then just rub some into your skin, especially your legs and feet, and you'll sleep more soundly than you've ever slept before.

You also might notice a lot of other effects, the majority of us are seriously long term deficient in magnesium, and many of the things being treated with nasty pharma drugs, like PMS, IBS, ADHD, and the list goes on, are nothing more than symptoms of magnesium deficiency.

I've suffered from insomnia all my life, and just last week I found this solution, and I've been shocked by the difference in my sleep, in my dreams, and in my general sense of self. I feel more alive now than I ever have before.
edit on 5-12-2011 by TheIrvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TheIrvy
I'd like to second the magnesium oil solution. I buy my magnesium oil online at a vitamin shop. It's inexpensive. I rub it into the soles of my feet at night, about four sprays total. I then rub into my upper arms and on my chest. Finally, I even dab it on my face, on my forehead and on all the places where stress accumulates in the muscles. I am out like a light! Even better is buying the magnesium flakes in bulk and adding a cup to a tub of warm to hot water and soaking your feet in it for at least twenty minutes. I love to do this while reading a book.

Try magnesium oil -- it is magnesium chloride, which is a slightly different form than Epsom salts (though Epsom is good if you don't have anything else on hand . . . the Epsom is not absorbed quite as well as the chloride form, though).

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Eliminate cortisol, "hormone of death", as much as possible. Do a Google search on reducing cortisol.

Get tested for sleep apnea.

Drink some milk with sugar in it, or eat some ice cream before you go to bed. To keep blood sugar up, and cortisol down, at night. Or eat something salty. If you wake up at night, again have milk + sugar, or something salty, as you prefer.

If the above doesn't work, consider going to a different sleep schedule. Use two sleep periods at night with a break in-between. For example, try to sleep 7pm to 10 pm. Then stay awake and do whatever until 2am. Then sleep 2 am to 6 am.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: TheArchaeologist

Melatonin.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
When I was younger and exercised a lot more, sleep at times was harder to come by. Now that I am older my problem is that when relaxing somewhere, I can fall asleep with very little warning. That can be dangerous if I'm driving at night. Sunlight keeps me awake though along with bright lights. I have found that not exercising too much and that fatty foods help me fall asleep quite fast. In fact I bought a lemon meringue pie and eating a slice of that in the evening hours puts me to sleep within minutes. This may not work for others but it tastes good to me as well.

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join