It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.P. Lovecraft, Mathematician. Exotic Spheres May Reveal The Lair of Yog Sothoth.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by soul_of_light

Now there is an interesting idea. I believe that what you described is an approximation of what all true artists do, when they give form to their thoughts. I failed my saving throw a long time ago, but kept going anyway, because I love the feeling of mystery I get when I explore the thought-forms of a truly gifted artist in 4D.

I wonder what Lovecraft would have thought about modern theoretical physics and the philosophy of no hard edges. I like to think he would have smiled a bit when he read about multiple worlds, higher dimensions, and multiple universes. I don't imagine he was prone to smiling much, but it gives me a little charge when I imagine he might have broke with tradition and let one go, for the ages.

Side note: It's a strange syncronicity indeed, that this week, the news from the edge of our solar system is "frothy, with a chance of bubbles."

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Upthepunx

Its a gift to be squamous

its a gift to have fins

its a gift to have gills

when lord cthulhu wins.

When the stars are right

on the earths last night

Upthepunx, thank you for the incredible post. I had the pleasure of showing it to a couple of friends and we were all looking it over like some rare and beautiful creature under glass.

I am totally blown away by this part...

i have swam in the deepest parts of narraganset bay where the orb from the chuch of starry wisdom lays at the murky bottom. and i can feel its evil like a burlap sack everytime i swim there.

That takes serious stones, dude.

Thank you again for this amazing look into what it might be like to grow up in that area.

The fact that you live in 'Innsmouth' is just too strange. You lucky guy.

edit on 11-6-2011 by Frater210 because: I think it needed bolding. What do you think?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

...the news from the edge of our solar system is "frothy, with a chance of bubbles."

0zzymand0s, would you mind elaborating on this? It sounds really interesting and I am definitely out of the loop.

Thank you, Sire.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Let us not forget Bloop..aka..The call of Cthulhu ...the hair raising sound coming from the depths of the ocean that, if from a living creature...is bigger than a blue whale. 50 degrees south lat. and long. 100degrees west

A quote from The Call...

"Then, driven ahead by curiosity in their captured yacht under Johansen's command, the men sight a great stone pillar sticking out of the sea, and in S. Latitude 47°9', W. Longitude l23°43', come upon a coastline of mingled mud, ooze, and weedy Cyclopean masonry which can be nothing less than the tangible substance of earth's supreme terror - the nightmare corpse-city of R'lyeh, that was built in measureless aeons behind history by the vast, loathsome shapes that seeped down from the dark stars."

www.bloopwatch.org...

The sound itself...
www.youtube.com...

and to those who have not listened before...all I can say is play the file loud. You will feel it in your very bones. The hairs on my arms stood on end the whole time

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaBetaGammaX

Yeah, he was self taught, and an amazing writer.. I love his style.. Never knew about the mathematics thing, though, but that may be because i never paid attention (Math is easily my worse subject).. It's sad that he died penniless and was buried in a dump.. Thankfully, his fans raised enough money to give him a proper burial and decent resting spot

I've always loved the idea of inter dimensional beings that we can't see.. Makes me think of Acid trips and how it opens the mind to the possibilities of different realms

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Absolutely. Give me a few minutes and I'll put something together for this thread.

Here is a brief video of the discovery:

www.youtube.com...=92

In a nutshell: Voyager 1 and 2 are at the outer edge of the solar system, beyond the Heliosphere, which is basically the outer boundary of our suns magnetic field and solar wind. The solar wind follows the magnetic field lines to this boundary, where they are met by the galactic medium (everything outside our Heliosphere) and abruptly slow down at the termination shock, where our suns magnetic field is "bent back" by the ionized intersteller wind.

The suns magnetic field spins in opposite directions on the north and south poles, and this creates a "sheet" which gently ripples and gets larger, the further from our sun in travels. These ripples stack up at the termination shock, creating a compressed zone where our system gives way to the greater galaxy beyond. The voyager spacecraft have now passed through the termination shock, and the data they have sent back indicates that this compressed and rippling sheet of forces becomes frothy and bubble-like, outside the heliosphere.

I'm no physicist, but the interesting part is how these bubbles interact with cosmic rays. They force them to move from bubble to bubble, instead of directly into our system. In a sense, they traverse a labyrinth of strange forthy geometry, before reaching the smooth waves of force inside our heliosphere, where the ride the rest of the way in like a surfer rides a wave.

It's pretty cool stuff, and immediately reminded me of Lovecraft and Yog Soggoth.
edit on 11-6-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

As a further point of interest, both my new songs deal in Lovecraftian imagery. The second song is called "Bubbleonia Rising." I'm not a kid anymore either, and I don't believe in coincidence.
edit on 11-6-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by irsuccubus

Thanks so much for putting up those links. I am going to go ahead and link it directly because, well, there just isn't enough Eldritch Terror on this thread already.

Thanks again for being here and taking the time to add such a gem to the pile. Your gonna be one of the first to be eaten for sure.

The video has explanations in text as you follow along.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wow, while reading this thread and watching the 3D fractal videos, it occurs to me that watching fractals, and especially 3D fractals make me very uneasy to the point that I get the urge to stop the videos as soon as I start watching them.

Very few things make me uneasy, so that itself is a clue that I should do some research on and watch more of these to figure out why they affect me in that way.

Possibly, it's because they are "infinite", and that I'm at the moment lulled into believing that my current finite existence has a point and a purpose, but THAT itself is the illusion, and the infinite fractals is the ugly truth ? Who knows ?!?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Pointofview

Listen, Pointofview, i agree with you.

I don't know what it is either. The only thing I can relate it too is the feeling I got when I saw 'The Lord of Evil' or whatever he was in Time Bandits when I was a kid.

The Fractals give me the same slightly dirty feeling.

But of course it is too late for me. Save yourself while you can.

Aiiiiiii!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'm not a kid anymore, and the video did not give me any uneasy feeling. BUT: I had a good laugh at the last bit where he blows up the last speaker and then says "It's a good question". Thanks for a good laugh

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cthulhu33

You should try going back to god damned grade school and learn type facing.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
i just downloaded all of H.P.L's books offline anyone want to tell me what one to read first or give me a specific order to read cant decide.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by stormy01399
i just downloaded all of H.P.L's books offline anyone want to tell me what one to read first or give me a specific order to read cant decide.

The Dream In the Witch House

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
thanks ELahrairah im about to start reading it in a few min going to grab something to eat real quick.

Update: just finished reading it got to say this is my favrite author now.

edit on 12-6-2011 by stormy01399 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Thank you so much for adding this to the thread, 0zzymand0s. What may have been left of my sanity has now been shredded.

Dude, that is some stanky dank Rocthulhubilly you badasses are slingin' .

F. Y.E.A.H.

Seriously. I did not know that anyone even knew that kinda roots sh#! anymore.

I hear; Iggy, Lux Interior, Evil Johnathan Richman and your own self in there. Where can I buy the album?

Go Listen To This. It is 0zzymand0s!
soundcloud.com...

edit on 11-6-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

If you have some red blue 3d glasses(anaglyph) im sure i can dig out a few real 3d 3d fractal flythoughs on youtube.... just because thats the nice person i am

but if you do have glasses, dont say you wernt warned

(this is a public safety announcement, Fractal fly thoughs may damage your sense of reality)
maybe i should have put that warning on my last post ....

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

1000 thanks for listening. That made my day!

I was literally stupefied when I saw the video of the latest Voyager information. The very first thing I thought of was Lovecraft, and then it hit me -- I have been working on "Bubbleonia" since roughly the moment Voyager had begin to transmit the data back Earthward. There's probably a whole nuther' thread in there somewhere, about creativity and artistic sensitivity to the "forces" that permeate and wash over our planet like waves. It sure would explain the trend in entertainment, where ideas seem to come in waves from many different sources at once.

No record yet. Skot and I are still in the songwriting stage at this point. When we have 20 or so songs, we will go in and make a real record. These are just proof of concept demos at this point. But -- yes, is a huge inspiration, at least lyrically.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

maybe i should have put that warning on my last post ....

Flibber, drool...Yeah maybe...Gibber...

Please do so. I have the glasses (last place I saw them anyway, was in the glovebox). It can't get any worse.

Thanks for hangin' around.
edit on 12-6-2011 by Frater210 because: Thar.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
just got finished reading dreams in the witches house im going to read another one of his books in the morning just dont know what one anyone want to give me a list of some to read i got all his books on my computer now just dont know what ones to read next if someone could give me a list preferably in a order to read that would be great thanks in advance il come back to this thread in the moring to see if there is one provided yet. sorry if i repeated my self lol kinda tiered and about to go to bed. good night ATS talk to you all tomarow.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
ah i love lovecraft inspired posts!

he is one of my favorite authors of all time! i never get tired of reading his works, whether it be his horror stories or his dreamland novels.

my only worry when it comes to scientists messing with this stuff is if they start playing with angles!
i wouldn't want anyone to start hounding me for it!

oh yeah: Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join