It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.P. Lovecraft, Mathematician. Exotic Spheres May Reveal The Lair of Yog Sothoth.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

reply to post by Aetheric

I've been lurking here for a while but never posted, this thread caught my eye and I don't want it to die!

Thank you for your support.

I am afraid that none of us may escape this thread with our sanity. I know that I am past the point of no return and will soon retire to peaceful slumber within the gaping maw of Our Dark Lord Cthulhu.

I also have never been able to quite put in to words how the writings of our beloved H.P.L. make me feel so I just usually sum it up as...

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

Thanks for being here.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Frater210 because: Ia!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Upthepunx

i live and breath lovecraft, i am born and raised in providence RI. which is a magnet for the strange bizzare and truly weird.

Awesome, Upthepunx, can you share some stories with us about what it is like living at the epicenter of all things Eldritch and Terrible?

edit on 11-6-2011 by Frater210 because: We would love to hear your Strange Tales.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Great thread always happy to read all things HP related :-)
First met him while reading Stephen King many years ago, when a very young lad, and he referred a couple of time to Lovecraft's Mountains of madness and strange geometries. After that my interest was piqued and I looked up this Lovecraft character and all was lost..THIS was the real deal all these Stephen Kings and Clive Barkers are just watered down versions of the purely fabulous worlds and horrors that this man had discovered, Must confess my poor English teacher and I never saw eye to eye again.

CTH :-)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
If i can be completely honest i have no idea what you guys are talking about i am right now trying to wrap my mind around all of this a failing and giving me a headache could maybe someone explain a bit or is it something that cant be easily explain if at all?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sorayugiman

Hi, Sorayugiman.

I will try to explain it for you. Are you a science fiction and fantasy fan? If so you may be interested to know that many of our most beloved writers in these genres were influenced by the writings of H.P. Lovecraft.

I will link you to the Wiki on him so you can get the bio you need.

en.wikipedia.org...

Over the years but especially over the last 20 or so H.P.Lovecraft and his works have exploded into the pop-culture conciousness. Try Googling, 'Cthulhu', 'Necronomicon' and of course, 'Lovecraft'.

Now we have a professor of mathematics that specializes in exotic maths telling us that fractal geometries in other mathematical dimensions' may describe the same thing that Lovecraft was describing.

It can be a bit of an inside joke if you do not know who H.P.L. is.

I hope that helps. We need all the cultists we can get.

Be sure to get eaten first. Go listen to the song on the first page.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Thank you for your post, ive had an odd interest in HP lovecraftian mythos that I decided to write a novel with them in it. I sometimes get chills when I write about them and have to stop. Out of all of the old ones Yoggy is the one that perhaps can relate to past childhood nightmares of blobby beings swallowing humanity whole.

But, most of H.P lovecrafitian stories, is an indirect way of saying how corrupt our government is. There was this short story I read, about the secrets of the pentagon. How, w/e dwells within, its tentacles reaches to the far corners of the earth.

Where can you see stories that somewhat relate to yogg?

The neverending story is one, "the nothing". The blob, son of the blob and the blob remake 1988. Dagon, etc, in almost every story and movies you can see something similar to this mythos, and don't forget World of Warcraft.

C'thun and Yogg saron which were inspired by C'thulu and yog sothoth.

It would have been interesting to know what trully dwelled in H.P lovecraft's mind. What would he think of the world today?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Remember Miskatonic Universities mascots !! Go pods go! It is doing my madness crushed mind good to see how many Cthulhuities have come crawling out of the tunnels. The Great Old Ones will be pleased, maybe Cthulhu will run for president again in 2012! Cthulhu and Yog-Sototh on the ticket at least we would know their agenda

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I've been reading something or another since I was about four. I read while cooking, eating, pretending to watch TV, brushing my teeth. My parents have a framed picture of me reading while riding a roller coaster. One of my favorite authors, R. A. Heinlein, mentioned both Lovecraft and Mark Twain several times throughout his many novels and short stories. Stephen King is also a Lovecraft fan.
A beautiful coincidence recently delivered me into an excellent friendship with a lovely young lady who, it turned out, had a complete collection of the works of Mr. Twain in hardcover, given by her father when she was accepted into law school. Last time I showed up to swap for the next book in the series, she cracked a joke about how I seemed to be more interested in her books than in her, and did I think she was a public library? I declined to answer for fear of self incrimination but reminded her the burden of proof lay with the state and I must be assumed innocent until proved otherwise. She opined that the state had determined that my continued actions would soon deliver the state of the responsibility for amassing said proof, whereupon I asked to speak with her manager and what kind of public library is this, anyway?

In any case, for some reason--though fate has delivered unto me a full set of Twain's works complete with a pretty librarian--I have yet to read a single word by Mr. Lovecraft; now that I am thinking about it, I do not recall ever even laying eyes on one of his books. Twain is great, but I am by nature much more interested in the strange and the weird; I'll take Charles Fort over Tom Swift any day of the week. So what dark forces have conspired to steer me away from the works of HPL? I don't know, but to them I say this-->

Great topic, OP. The stuff about the math, and the differential topo math especially, have raised my determination to lay hands on some of these stories all of you have hinted at within this thread. I feel like I should already know them well, and be familiar with their dark recesses, like most of you here appear to be. Given my interest in them, it is baffling to me why I am not.
Incidentally, you are the first I have been able to say "S&F!" to, as well. Plenty of neat subjects on ATS, but the math and the imagery and especially the camaraderie of fellow readers makes this thread something special.
Awesome that you contacted Professor Ewles! I am pretty good at higher math and am pretty sure I have an acceptable grasp of what Lovecraft is describing and what the Prof is talking about, but I would still love for him to join us at ATS and provide deeper understanding. After all, I get the feeling this type of math may fall into the same category as Quantum Mechanics, of which it has been said, "If you think you understand Quantum Mechanics, you don't understand Quantum Mechanics."

Incidentally, an awesome short story dealing with Lovecraftian subjects was written by Stephen King in his most recent book collection of short stories titled "Just After Sunset". I'm pretty sure Cthulu makes a cameo appearance in one of the stories in that book. The story deals with OCD, and how the people most powerfully inflicted with the "disorder" often have a sense that the universe is thin, there is a great lurking evil hiding just behind that thin membrane, and only their ritualistic actions of counting, placing and touching are holding the evil at bay from ripping through and wreaking havoc like loosed dogs of war. Very, very fascinating.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Yes, I am Beyond Pleased (wonder what the geometry is like there
).

It is great to be on this thread with so many like minded people. Har har.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
All this Cthulhu talk.

I have to add this. It is frightening as well.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Oh Almost forgot, Don't forget about Majin buu from Dragon Ball z

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec5780ad33e7.jpg[/atsimg]

He looks like Nyarlathotep

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/76998a7068e5.jpg[/atsimg]

Even the japanese had some H.P inspired themes. Its very intresting

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Nice thread, thantk you. I think Lovecraft is an amazing writer. He has a hidden depth to his work and sometimes I think there is more fact than fiction there...

There is more truth in Lovecraft than all of the popular new age conspiracy myths on this website.

Then again, when we start to discover the horrifying light, we flee back into the darkness of myth and legend.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
They have some snazy shirts for Miskatonic U
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/585d4063807d.jpg[/atsimg]

I can only guess what the physics department is like there

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

It's so damn rare I do this, but considering my avatar... S+F, great thread, thanks for the supplementary material, I'm reading now.

Sorry, I can't contribute more than that gibbous glibness.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
For anybody who needs a crash course in Lovecraft Lore
there is this animated video

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

Awesome video, now I am sitting in a corner giggling madly.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

How did you stumble onto zero point physics in HS. Also I'm a fan of the HP lovecraft books.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Lovecraft stories are very similar to '___' experiences. Maybe he mastered the Dreams Realm. Some scientists says that '___' is released when we dream.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210
reply to post by Upthepunx

i live and breath lovecraft, i am born and raised in providence RI. which is a magnet for the strange bizzare and truly weird.

Awesome, Upthepunx, can you share some stories with us about what it is like living at the epicenter of all things Eldritch and Terrible?

edit on 11-6-2011 by Frater210 because: We would love to hear your Strange Tales.

where do i start????? well first it started when i found out my grandmother and grandfather got married in what was HPL's basis for the "church of starry wisdom" from the story the haunter in the dark. my birthday (march 18th) is the same day as HPL's funeral 5 days after he passed on to the gates. i have been to the providence art club. the very same art club that has the "horror in the clay". when i lived in the city i was a stones throw away from the cemetary that HPL's memorial stone(not including remains those are in an adjecent grave yard) and would visit him weekly. i snuck into the "shunned house" on benifit street and saw the basemnet where the "vampier ghost" resides.not to meniton all the tunnels and underground water ways that are under providence. besides that i now live on block island, an island 13 miles off the coast of RI. Block island was the basis for the devil's reef/innsmouth HPL just moved the location to the coast of mass. hence where all the deep one references come from. i have swam in the deepest parts of narraganset bay where the orb from the chuch of starry wisdom lays at the murky bottom. and i can feel its evil like a burlap sack everytime i swim there. but i digress from the main topic. which is a good day for the nut jobs who love this very strange man. he is the pride of providence in my own opinion and should be celebrated like a the mad prophet he was and is to this day.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The key to this post as with many is jibberish and obscure referench. example: "The Tolgin perspective of the hemisphere of redirection was well known among the learned of pre-myasian London. The ability to transrport into reality was too far reaching to allow common access". In other words this is B.S. on a grand scale. Posts like this are for slow days.
edit on 11-6-2011 by MissingRonnieR because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join