It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.P. Lovecraft, Mathematician. Exotic Spheres May Reveal The Lair of Yog Sothoth.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

Oh, yeah, wonderful. Thanks, Sprocket2Cog. I guess today, Saturday, the 11th, is the day I finally lose it and travel Beyond The Wall of Sleep.

Really, thanks, for the 3D push, you are awesome as always.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tomten

I don't know what they mean with Found in the 7'th Dimension.

Thank you, TomTen, for the great links. I get the impression that maybe some of this mathematical material is more familiar to yourself than maybe some of us.

I personally struggle with higher maths and I work daily to deal with the issue.

I don't know exactly what is meant by 'found' either. Here is the quote from Dr. Elwes' publication...

In 1956, John Milnor was investigating 7-dimensional manifolds when he found a shape which seemed very strange. On one hand, it contained no holes, and so it seemed to be a sphere. On the other hand, the way it was curved around was not like a sphere at all.

I don't want to do this unless folks are interested...

But in the fine tradition of ATS I suppose I could contact Professor Elwes and see if he will come on board to explain some of this topology and exotic sphere stuff.
He seems like a very cool and friendly young scientist...

Eldritch Mathematician, Dr. Richard Elwes:

Someone just post me the Elder Sign and I will try to get in touch with him. I don't want to bug him if there is no interest. But I bet he'd hang out a little on a Saturday if he is free. Who knows.

edit on 11-6-2011 by Frater210 because: Gibber, gibber, shake, drool

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Ahh the Nylarothep the crawling chaos and the rest of the gang! As my avatar shows I am a huge Lovecraft fan been since my dad let me read the Lurking Fear. Took a long while before I could not get the creeps during a lighting storm! I loved the descriptions of the alien geometry in his stories. I always wondered how the mythos critters perceived it compared to how we humans would
The human mind in the stories could go mad looking at the structures! Thanks for a very interesting read! You have pleased Cthulhu he shall eat you last!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

As is fitting. I wish nothing more than to be there at the End when The Great One finally devours all of Reality. Praise his Black Name.

I am so glad that you like the thread. I am re-reading The Doom That Came to Sarnath at the moment...

"But the settlers were not alone. At the other side of the lake was the ancient, grey-stone city of Ib, inhabited by a queer race who had descended from the moon.

..."in hue as green as the lake and the mists that rise above it.... They had bulging eyes, pouting, flabby lips, and curious ears, and were without voice.

These beings worshipped a strange god known as Bokrug, the Great Water Lizard, although it was more their physical form that caused the people of Sarnath to despise them.

The people of Sarnath killed the creatures inhabiting Ib and took their idol as a trophy. The next night, the idol vanished under peculiar circumstances, and Taran-Ish, the high-priest of Sarnath, was found dead. Before dying, he had scrawled a single sign on the altar: "DOOM".

H.P. Lovecraft, The Doom That Came to Sarnath.

Thanks so much for coming by. I will see you there at The End.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

edit on 11-6-2011 by Frater210 because: Checking Text Source.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
All this sounds very interesting, but Im afraid I just dont understand it all....can some one explain this for dummies?

Please, I wanna know

edit on 11-6-2011 by Sinny because: typo

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Ok I'm not really into the love craft references but I intend now to read a few of his works just out of curiosity. In regards to the physics, I have been trying to get my head around what physicists actually mean by other dimensions and have managed to get only a vague idea. So I'm going to jot down here my understanding of it all and then could somebody who actually understands all this stuff explain where I have gone wrong? I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me. So dimensions as I understand them are coordinates to describe a point in space. So we have length, breadth, hight to determine, the physical space in 3 dimensions and then the 4th dimension time describes the position of that space in a point in time. Is the 5th dimension the same space at a different point in time? Or is it a different space at the same point in time? Or is it two versions of the same place at the same time? Also how does the relative position of a 3d space in relation to other 3d spaces fit into all of this? Or have I completely missed the point?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I will give it a try.

Remember that in dimensions 1, 2, and 3 shapes can morph (change as they develop) only in a way that is continuous and smooth; that is, with no interruptions or zigs or zags or breaks of any kind.

It is not until Mathematicians use math to describe shapes in other dimensions that shapes are found that are continuous but not smooth. They have highly irregular topologies which bend our understanding of distance and curvature.

If you look at the surface of the 3D image provided of The Julia Set you should be able to get an impression of this and be able to compare it to the ideas presented in Dr. Elwes' publication, descriptions by Lovecraft of the weird realms inhabited by the Old Ones and now maybe the pictures of the fantastical cities that I have posted here.

The idea is that in our 3D space, topologies (surfaces) are regularly smooth but beyond our own dimension Exotic Spheres and the Maths that describe them may jibe with the Outre' Realms described by H.P.L..
There may be 'dimensional spaces' right along side our own that appear normal until we engage with them and find ourselves trapped in an inescapable labyrinth of hyperbolic and weird geometry.

Hope I have helped.

edit on 11-6-2011 by Frater210 because: Even Weirder

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
From Cthulhu to Cloning

jcolavito.tripod.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AusiAnarchist

Or is it two versions of the same place at the same time?

I believe it is this one. I suppose I should go and see if Professor Elwes would be willing to explain this.

I'll see what I can do.

Meanwhile, everyone roll a Saving Throw for your Sanity.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Awesome, StormDancer. I will be reading this today. Meanwhile I could not resist this part...

In 1998 the Heaven's Gate cult committed mass suicide while expecting a spaceship trailing behind the comet Hale-Bopp to recieve their souls for transport to a hollowed-out planet Pluto, which Lovecraft called Yuggoth, home of the alien Old Ones.

Source:jcolavito.tripod.com...

I have always been really fascinated by The Fungi from The Planet Yuggoth. You know, the ones that steal your brain and put it in a jar?

Fun Guy From Yuggoth...

edit on 11-6-2011 by Frater210 because: Ah ha ha ha

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

oh yes, thats alot better for me...thank you

edit on 11-6-2011 by Sinny because: typo

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

No sweat. It makes me so happy that it helped. I hope I got it right.

All....

I went ahead and contacted Dr. Richard 'Eldritch' Elwes.

Stick around. Maybe we will hear from him and he can really enlighten us on all of this.

Thanks for being here.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Another knockout thread, Frater! The julia set depicted in that picture really does remind me of the "Mountains of Madness," and the song was wonderful as well.

I actually turned my daughter on to a great Lovecraft Anthology when she was 11. My wife looked at me cross-eyed when she realized what we were reading and discussing together, but she let it happen anyway.

I am linking that song to her FB wall, and sending her a few pictures for her "collection." Good stuff!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Sure good to see your avatar, 0zzymand0s...

I actually turned my daughter on to a great Lovecraft Anthology when she was 11.

You are doing the work of the Great One. I am sure you and your daughter will be able to get the 'Cultist Package Deal' and you will both be right up there in the front of the line to be eaten first.

Thanks for being here.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Taking a hint from Sprocket2Cog I went and viewed some of these 3D fractal zoom videos...

I will post another here for the sake of research, but I recommend that if one must view these that one does so by placing ones monitor before a mirror, standing at least 15 feet away from the mirror, and viewing the mirror image while clutching The Elder Sign to ones breast.

I have already viewed many of these without said precautions and the state of my sanity is now beyond compromise.

Send Help...

Beware! The House Music is misleading.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Frater210 because: Iiiaaaaaaaa!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I've been lurking here for a while but never posted, this thread caught my eye and I don't want it to die!

I've been a huge Lovecraft fan for years, I find it hard to put into words the feeling received when reading his stories...odd? Strange? Words of that meaning in abundance! Favourite author to date, thankyou for sharing this, I find this kind of thing fascinating...

Shub Niggurath made me go insane when I was trying to sow seeds on my poor fathers farm...I failed my Saving Throw

S&F for immortality

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Lovecraft is the mad poet of the nuclear age! IA YOG SOTOTH IA CTHULHU

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Imagine H.P.'s dreams, his stirring in the night, rolling asleep but fully awake within his mind. Creepy doggie.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
there's hope for science afterall..

Lovecraft was definately heavely involved into occult sciences, especialy Astral Projection.
Chaos magicians have long postulated that Lovecraft created these Cthulu and other beings in his mind (and therefore on the astral) and wrote his stories based on the adventures he experienced with them on the astral plane.

many occultists have speculated the same to be true for J.R.R. Tolkien and his "middle earth"

mmm, things just don't seem the same when science is catching up to occult sciences..

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
lovecraft was the forefather of lucid dreaming. years after his death it became a legit thing. i live and breath lovecraft, i am born and raised in providence RI. which is a magnet for the strange bizzare and truly weird.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join