It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently, 75% of Americans want to be Dragged Back to the Jim Crow Era

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
What's really funny about this thread is the number of "Constitutional scholars" who state that it's unconstitutional to have to show an identification w/ picture to vote.

BIG FAT LIE!

Nowhere in the Constitution of the United States is it found that the citizens have the right to vote.

It does, however, state that voting can't be denied because of race or gender. Voting can't be denied for failure to pay the poll tax and a person must be 18 years old to vote.

With the exception of these amendments, voting privileges can be denied.

Don't argue with me. Go look it up because all of you 'Constitutional scholars' don't have any idea of what you're talking about.

edit on 11/6/11 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

True, True.

--------------------

All this talk on photo id, the OP an source says "id" not "photo id". You need id to register to vote, so all voters should have id. Bring it to the polls, decrease voter fraud, whoopdee doo. Even bringing an utility bill, food stamp card, birth certificate, SS card, or something like that (that is current) will cut down on fraud. I might go out on a limb here and say every US citizen has some form of id.
edit on 11-6-2011 by DyingBreed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Antiquated1

Originally posted by daddyroo45
Could you give a good reason why someone that is a citizen of this country,would not have some form of identification ? I mean if they will take the time to vote,why not take the time to get a proper id.

Can you explain to me why someone that is a citizen of this country would have a photo ID? This is about photo ID. Not a SS card or birth certificate. PHOTO ID. Why would a citizen have a photo ID?

A recent national survey sponsored by the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law reveals that millions of American citizens do not have readily available documentary proof of citizenship. Many more – primarily women – do not have proof of citizenship with their current name. The survey also showed that millions of American citizens do not have government-issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license or passport. Finally, the survey demonstrated that certain groups – primarily poor, elderly, and minority citizens – are less likely to possess these forms of documentation than the general population.

As many as 11 percent of United States citizens – more than 21 million individuals – do not have government-issued photo identification.

Elderly citizens are less likely to possess government-issued photo identification.

Minority citizens are less likely to possess government-issued photo identification.

Citizens with comparatively low incomes are less likely to possess photo identification.

Read more
edit on 10-6-2011 by Antiquated1 because: (no reason given)

Not our problem they cannot take care of there own paperwork and get I.D.s. I have my I.D., my ex wife has hers(after changing it to my name then changing it to another). My son has a Picture I.D. and he is not even a teenager. If you do not have an I.D., then to bad go get one lazy. It is idiotic to say you can vote in the U.S.A without I.D.. Gonna have hundrds of thoudsands of tourists messing our elections up for fun.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
The argument that a law like this would prevent voter fraud is not sound. It implies that a photo id is impossible to fake.

Almost every member on this site can probably verify that they or someone they knew, possessed a fake photo id that allowed them to purchase alcohol while under the legal age. Whether this fake id was fully fraudulent or just one individual posing as another person with a valid id. They were capable of granting restricted access.

Are the individuals working at polling stations capable of validating the authenticity of the ID and/or the person presenting it?

It's not foolproof, but it would force people to SHOW an ID, regardless of whether it was fake. At least when someone shows a fake ID, they run the risk of being caught. When a state like New Mexico allows illegal aliens - who can NOT legally vote because they are not citizens of this country - to get a legitimate state driver's license, it kicks the door wide open to voter fraud, and nothing can be done to stop them from voting. Sure, they need to fill out a voter registration and vouch for their citizenship, but do you think they'd be okay with lying on THAT? Ya know, since they snuck in to this country illegally in the first place?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by drkylefletcher
I don't vote though, so I don't really care.
edit on 11-6-2011 by drkylefletcher because: (no reason given)

And you willing admit it. What a sad sad time for this country.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Wow, just wow. I can't believe that people are against this, and I'm classified as a progressive-liberal, and vote democratic.

First off, it's already required in a lot of states, so a federal law wouldn't affect those states that much.

Secondly, a government issued picture id isn't that expensive to purchase. It's less than $20, and like it's already been said, that if a person has an issue acquiring that much money for an ID then they have bigger fish to fry in their life than voting. Quite simply, $20 isn't that much money in today's world. Even copies of a birth certificate, or a new social security card, cost a person money. While some individuals say that states should give them out for free, well that might be possible if all the states weren't bankrupt, but most are and in order to issue a state ID someone has to be paid to validate the documentation given to them, and enter in the information into the state's system. Not to mention that there's the cost of manufacturing the ID itself. With an average cost of a PVC card (with magnetic strip) being $3, the ink to run the printer, and labor of the task, someone has to pay. If you want that cost to be eaten by state taxes, then by all means run for your state congress and get a bill movin' to do that.

In today's society, not having ID is just plain irresponsible, and I'm having a very difficult time imagining anyone being able to function at a basic level in society without one. Movie rentals, Credit/Debit cards, cigarette/liqour purchases, movie theaters, video game purchases, going to pawn shops, any kind of financial transactions, getting something notarized, boarding a bus/plane/train, or even receiving some packages in the mail/ups/fedex.. All of these are actions that require some form of identification, and half of the actions listed are necessary for a person to simply survive.

Look, having a person prove they're a US citizen through means of visual verification of a government issued ID in order to vote, is a huge step (and one that many states have already taken) towards combating voter fraud. This, imo, is less about discrimination against poor people, than it is about attempting to fix holes within our voting system. If it's that much of a hardship for a person to acquire an ID due to financial reasons, and the state they live in doesn't pick up the tab, then the person can easily hold up a cardboard sign at a busy intersection that states, "I want to vote, need $$$ for ID" and would most likely have the funds for the ID (and possibly extra funds) within 2 hours, or less.

Did i mention that I'm a progressive-liberal, and vote Democratic?

Edit: Holy wow a second time. Just noticed the bit about the OP mentioning having an ID, not a photo ID. Last i checked the local Library gives those out for free.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Evil_Santa because: I herp-derped and didn't rtfm on the OP

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
To get your piccture ID, you need your birth certficate/social security card.

If you want to vote, bring your birth certificate and US social security card.

If you cannot, then you aren't a US citizen. PERIOD.

Don't like it? I don't like non citizens trying to vote, living in the country, killing people along the borders, sneaking in to blow people up, and I most certainly LOATHE the people who whine and complain and nitpick their liberal agenda.

It pains me that people like this live in the United States. It really makes me angry. Don't like it, GET OUT.

The only people who whine about things being hard are the ones who do not live in reality and think everything should be handed to them, regardless of the longstanding rules.

Go away.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I'm probably a little late to this one, but I think I will go ahead and give some input.

Wouldn't requiring all voters to bring their SSI card be better, rather than an ID? Those that complain about money can't say anything about an SSI card since it is free to request a copy, but it also should satisfy those that want to make sure each voter is registered and able to vote.

I do approve of this motion, as it would provide more accurate votes and prevent those not able to vote from voting.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
A person like you will defend our freedoms all the way into a dictatorship.

Yeah but it'll only really affect the blacks and latinos, right?, so it won't matter and it'll stop all the foreign commies laughing at the flag and potus like they do to the weak democratically elected potuses, finally America will have some clout in the world and a voice loud enough to be heard instead of cowering back in the US silently like it is now. Let's end weak America.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
How about everyone whose ancestors were here in the 1600 go home

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45

Originally posted by Antiquated1

Originally posted by mishigas
I cannot think of a reason why someone would oppose Voter ID, except if they planned on using voter fraud to rig an election.

Because they do not have an ID but still want to exercise their rights as an American citizen?

Could you give a good reason why someone that is a citizen of this country,would not have some form of identification ? I mean if they will take the time to vote,why not take the time to get a proper id.

Even if you didn't drive, and refused to get a state issued ID, I would think they should still accept your birth certificate.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

There is absolutely nothing wrong with requiring people to show ID in order to vote. You have to prove you are a registered voter, nothing unfair about this. Those people who make excuses about the poor and minorities not having any form of ID, well that is nobodies problem. You know, it takes alittle effort to go to the DMV and get yourself registered for some form of ID. Don't have a drivers licence? Apply for a passport, if you want to vote, you need to present ID.

Democrats said the new measure, which will require voters to show an approved photo ID before receiving their ballot, was aimed at discouraging many of their constituents, especially college students, rather than addressing vote fraud, which they said was not a serious problem in the state.

Under the legislation, voters will have to present a valid driver's license, passport, naturalization papers or tribal ID to obtain a ballot. Student IDs are allowed but will need a current address, birth date, signature and expiration date.

www.reuters.com...

Now I have not read the full bill but so far as I understand, there only requirement is ID. If this was about "literacy tests" or that you require your "original long form birth certificate" I would be calling BS, but I don't see any of the sort. Schultz has really got to get off it.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
what is up with you people and id's?

you don't give a crap who is walking around? your own neighborhood?

what, you people wear red or blue scarves to tell?

shall i have to start reading frikin tatts?

pants on the ground.....whatever...

carry an ID, everyone of you people are less than 30yo and the rest are lying and the bandwagon is overcrowded, bout to tip over.

dnc ditz wasserman is beyond the pale.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

In light of commercials for Vampire Movies and the other silliness that constantly reminds me that I am not necessarily sharing, discussing, debating and even in conflict with grown individuals but also with youths of who I have pairs of socks with more years upon them, to say nothing of miles of experience.

First of all, Presidential races are fixed. rigged or however you would like to believe, no one is elected President that is not hand picked by the same people who picked the previous President. Hold your breath and deny it all you like, Obama serves the same people that Bush served and Clinton before him. It is open for debate what elected official does not obtain office without the help and endorsement of one level or another of what they like to think of themselves as the elite.

These points having been made and this reading it being mature enough to recognize the truth when you hear it, be further enlightened when I tell you that the same people who have repressed the Black and other so called minorities have also repressed the whites and while many think themselves privileged characters, besides the few bobbles and comfort that small money can provide, they too are and are becoming ever more aware of the Slaves that they too are.

Obama was not progress, he was pacification for those most likely to riot and react violently to the plans to overthrow this nation and turn it into a fascist country prepared for absorption into the New World Order; a New Order Order that MUST identify very man, woman and child as an essential component it their drive for control.

So go ahead and think you are smart; you are all so deep in the belly of the beast now that you don't even realize that all these distractions are just meant to keep you from realizing the acid you are standing in up to your waste. Voting is pointless and when they have crashed the dollar and brought you all to your knees for the price of you bellies, you will be the enemy and man the ranks of those who will finish this nation of free men and women off.

Contempt? I am now only concerned with getting me and mine as far from you and yours as possible and screw voting and whatever typos I missed..that too won't matter. Now go back to talking about Vampires and Obama and this latest attempt to get everyone registered to vote.

edit on 11-6-2011 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma

fly!! fly my butterfly!!

run to your safe tree!!

head in the sand, yo, head in the sand,

you got some id dude?

show it up dawg.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Beaux

Get rid of the electronic (and easily hacked) voting machines first to insure that even those with photo ID's have their votes counted. After that, worry about tightening restrictions on those attempting fraud. Until then, those favoring any....ANY...restriction in voting accessibility are not doing anything other than empowering TPTB money "dictators" attempting to drive the U.S. into fascist (corporate) rule. The inability of individuals to see that is staggering in its implication.

I heard, from someone very familiar with precinct polling stations, that paper ballots were among the very easiest to 'hack'.

Simply put: Say I work for candidate A. I am also a counter of votes (paper ballots).

Candidate A is running against Candidate B.

When a ballot slip that endorses Candidate B comes by, I simply mark the slip with a vote for Candidate A also.

Uh-oh... double voted ballot slip. Ballot slip nullified.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SpunGCake

im glad you wernt going the other way with this 1. commen sence if we have the technology should be used in cases like these. but computer fraud is alot easier too its a double edged sword so i guess still the advantages are greater than the disadvantages.

See, this is where I have to disagree with a common misconception: that computer fraud is easy and thus not to be trusted. That is simply not true. Now I will admit that there has been computer fraud, but that is so very easily resolved with correct programming practices. There is software out there that does amazing things, and is un-hackable if proper security measures are taken. So I just don't buy it.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma

Your video is amusing but pointless. To the technically uneducated, it would seem that any program is game to be hacked and we are all lost. Please, stop with the theatrics.

The"programmer" in the video actually gave you the answer how to detect hacked software, about a half dozen times. "Unless you had the source code" is the clue for you. No serious customer would allow software on their machines that has not been audited.

People watch too many sci-fi movies and play too many video games.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
To be honest, I can't see any legitimate reason why a person couldn't get a photo ID. I think most all states issue them for $20 or less. I think they're only $5 here in Arkansas, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, its a small price to pay for a major upgrade in security for our electoral process, not to mention that it opens up far more possibility for an upgrade in the living standards of the person getting the ID. Maybe its just me, but I don't know how anyone could be against this unless they support voter fraud.

I guess you could make the asinine argument that its a poll tax, but I don't know how people expect to live life without one anyway. You're doing yourself a HUGE disservice if you choose not to have a valid photo ID. Without one, you can't open a bank account, loan or deposit side, and with employers increasingly moving towards automatic payroll deposits, its getting increasingly difficult to find anything but minimum wage and/or unskilled labor employment where they still issue a paper check. There are a number of other problems you're going to run into as well such as renting a house or apartment, getting utilities connected and so forth. In effect, you're limiting yourself to the fringes of society. Why put yourself through that?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Make a voter ID that is free.

Require some form of ID to vote.

Ban ALL electronic voting.

Make ballots EASY to understand.

Smash all Diebold voting machines with EXTREME prejudice and forethought of MALICE

ELECT RON PAUL
(ooops did I say that out loud?)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join