It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Destruction of Human History....

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CarlitosAmsel

I agree with you I think ancient humans were far more advanced than we've been lead to believe, ancient Indian texts talk of flying machines in very great detail and a weapon that sounds like an atomic bomb. Old Hindu and Buddhist texts have strange parallels to modern quantum mechanic (sub atomic theories), supposedly from guys just meditating??

My grandfather mentioned to me that there is a hidden history when I was a lot younger, that the ancients had batteries and computers, so imagine my surprise a couple of years back when the Bagdad "battery" was unveiled in the news...and that Greek item that could tell you where the planets etc would be (all those teeny gears). Then think about all the megaliths, pyramids and Manchu pichu and well … I know some think its proof Aliens came here, but it could just have been us and we managed to destroy our civilizations on more than one occasion!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
When the church whent on the witch burnings.
untill they run out of wood, then just hung them.
they also burnt All books they did not like.
we lost a grate deal of history then.
and any othere things they wonted to hide.
are lost now.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

i'm sure the secret vatican library holds everything you are looking for, infiltrate it.
edit on 6/10/2011 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rossa

... I am just guessing that even though they had an oral tradition, that some of the druids survived, otherwise we would never know they existed, nor anything at all about them. ...

It's possible that some survived - perhaps they melted back into the background of the general population, in fact it seems quite likely, but much of what we know of them comes from what was written about them - see the writings of Diodorus Siculus, Strabo, and Caesar's De Bello Gallico.

peace
J
edit on 10-6-2011 by skjalddis because: typo

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jrocbaby

They are basically slaves you say ? For the private sector long sentences are more profitable so... I guess you are right.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
... the Pillaging of Egypt via Dr. Hawass - the criminal....

Care to explain your comment? Got a lot of starz...but you have not provided a rationale for your statement.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Which brings us to our modern way of storing data. We could potentially lose our knowledge due to the fact that more and more of it is now being stored digitally in the virtual world. Books/papers rot away or deteriorate in time etc, Magnetic recording devices lose the data due to the tapes losing magnetism etc, Film deteriorates in a few decades. The older recordings due to cellulose degradation etc. Should we go back to imprinting data on stone tablets like Mesopotamia?

This is key Slayer. As you are well aware, many have hypothesized that the ancients didn't build and write in stone because they were intellectually challenged. But because they wanted a lasting record. And indeed they got it. We're still finding their monuments all over the planet. And of course, their writings too, as much as we, the common folk are allowed to know about.

It seems to me that all too often we think "advanced" means just like us. It means no such thing necessarily. It could very well mean the opposite of us. At least in some ways.

I guess I wonder if the worst happens, what will we leave behind. Someone is going to be very confused about a thousand years from now.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Crying shame that important artifacts and historical records have been destroyed over the years. I too wish that they were still around. But even then I would have to question what good is such artifacts and historical records if they are merely to be stored away in boxes or storage areas.

Just imagine how many things about history are stored away.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Considering all our present info is on paper or magnetic/optical drives.

If, Doomsday happens, we will be a lost civilization, too!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I suppose sometimes... seeing the debauchery, sacrifice, the dark evil, someone thought it wise to put an end to it. There was way too much savagery in Incan, Mayan and Aztec times. they should have been decimated and destroyed. Just because a few were enamored with the pagantry, would be scarcely reason to let it continue. Nazi's were put down after Genocide, why not these MesoAmericans

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

library of Alexandria certainly set us back. but i think the worst handicaps on man where slavery during roman times and serfdom in the dark ages. humanity was on the edge of the Renascence(sp) for centuries. as for the aztecs im sure there was little we could learn from them as they were just coming into the iron age in the 1500s

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
Just like when the Iraq war started and they looted and destroyed so many ancient artifacts and works of art that can never be replaced. It just made me sick. They call it the "cradle of civilization" for a reason.....and some of that stuff is gone for good.

It also makes one wonder just how accurate the ancient contents of the modern day museum actually was at the time it was vandalized. What was actually stolen and what was destroyed forever or hidden away, etc,

Yes it is a total shame that our humanity never learns from history.
We just keep repeating our mistakes.

Nice Thread. S&F

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 5andman

Winners write history. every peice of historical text you want was just as false and skewed as the crap on fox or cnn probably worse becuase they were written by tool historians of ancient despots.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I wonder what it is you think we've lost. I mean qualitatively.

Do you think we've lost some ancient knowledge? Some secret key to life?

We may have lost a lot. Most of it due to degradation of the material it was written on due to lack of knowledge about storage conditions or sufficiently advanced technology to preserve it. Scrolls and books that have survived have done so only because they were copied by hand, again and again. Some have survived the ravages of time by fortune of being in dry dark nooks and crannies or in massive stone tombs which were carved with the slave labour of thousands of men.

But what knowledge do you think we've lost? I always laugh at this one as a mathematician because almost no one understands the work of Archimedes or Euclid or the dissections of Liu Hui or the Japanese Sangaku. No one wants to understand it. It isn't all mystical and magical like the "lost" knowledge they are hoping to find. Instead it is cold hard mathematics. It's totally solid, uncompromising truth. Still as true today as the day it was written.

But despite being so ancient, it is nearly incomprehensible to most people today because they do not have the mental training or patience to understand it. Perhaps more importantly, they don't care. Yes, a portion of it has been lost. But most of it survives, and everyone has the ability to understand it if they try. It's all translated into English. It is all well and truly public domain and available free on the internet. Yet it gets ignored because it does not speak of gods or metaphysics or angels or mysteries or demons or eternal life or aliens or ancient lost technology. Instead, it sounds a lot like the voice of a university professor droning on about the infinitude of the primes being demonstrated once and for all by a 2300 year old mathematician, or about conic sections and hydrostatics and other things you'd find in mathematics and physics textbooks today. It can't be interesting because it has become part of the curriculum. It doesn't have that mystery about it and certainly isn't a good conversation starter on ATS. It doesn't have what it takes. It's a bore. What a shame it wasn't burned along with all the rest.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I read this at someone else's computer earlier today and wasn't logged in. I didn't even notice who started the thread. And it happened to be one of the types of discussions I gravitate towards.

I don't even remember what I was thinking about after reading a bit (I'll have to see what has been recently posted since, it's been a few hours).

To give my post a reason for existence, I shall offer a few links for people to read that is on the topic of desecrating knowledge.

Anyone ever read the book Fahrenheit 451 ?

The short novel presents a future American society in which the masses are hedonistic and critical thought through reading is outlawed.

Fahrenheit 451 takes place in an unspecified future time (some dialogue places it after 1990)[4] in a hedonistic anti-intellectual America that has completely abandoned self-control. This America is filled with lawlessness in the streets

Anyone caught reading or possessing books is, at the minimum, confined to a mental hospital while the books are burned by the firemen. Burnt books mainly include famous works of literature, such as William Shakespeare, Walt Whitman and William Faulkner, as well as the Bible and all historical texts.

Bradbury went even further to elaborate his meaning, saying specifically that the culprit in Fahrenheit 451 is not the state—it is the people.

And Ray Bradbury was right, it's the People who perpetrate these atrocities against the Truth and against Justice. The "State" doesn't even exist, it's an illusion we believe in our heads, and all agree with each other about. And then when we do crimes against humans, we 'pass the buck' to the imaginary "State" who takes the "Liability" for the wrongdoing. And there is no reciprocation. No accountability or retribution.

This is why censorship of genuine ideas and knowledge is so powerfully dangerous to a society.

Here is the Wiki about Book Burning, I highly suggest anyone interested in learning about recent history being destroyed, check out how it is done. And not to cries of discontent, but instead to a raving and cheering mob enjoying themselves.

It wasn't just in Nazi Germany either, 'book burning' has happened throughout the ages and happens quite often in modern times as well, we just don't hear about it so much.

For example there were book burnings in Chile when the Pinochet regime came to power after the 1973 Coup.

The Chinese Communist party is known for burning books as well, throughout it's sordid history.

It is the Chinese tradition to record family members in a book, including every male born in the family, who they are married to, etc. Traditionally, only males' names are recorded in the books. During the Cultural Revolution, many such books were forcibly destroyed or burned to ashes, because they were considered by the Chinese communist party as among the Four Old Things to be eschewed. Therefore much valuable cultural history was destroyed forever. Also many copies of classical works of Chinese literature were destroyed, though - unlike the genealogy books - these usually existed in many copies, some of which survived.

"Four Olds" wiki
Chinese "Cultural Revolution" 1966-76

Following the 1964 Brazilian coup d'état, General Justino Alves Bastos, commander of the Third Army, ordered, in Rio Grande do Sul, the burning of all "subversive books". Among the books he branded as subversive was Stendhal's The Red and the Black.

1964 Brazilian Coup

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Check this out, ever heard of the " Burning of Books and Burying of Scholars"

It was in 200 BC era China.

According to the Records of the Grand Historian, after Qin Shi Huang, the first emperor of China, unified China in 221 BC, his chancellor Li Si suggested suppressing the intellectual discourse to unify all thoughts and political opinions. This was justified by accusations that the intelligentsia sang false praise and raised dissent through libel.

Beginning in 213 BC, all classic works of the Hundred Schools of Thought — except those from Li Si's own school of philosophy known as legalism — were subject to book burning.

Qin Shi Huang burned the other histories out of fear that they undermined his legitimacy, and wrote his own history books. Afterwards, Li Si took his place in this area.

Hundred Schools of Thought

The Hundred Schools of Thought (simplified Chinese: 诸子百家; traditional Chinese: 諸子百家; pinyin: zhūzǐ bǎijiā; Wade–Giles: chu-tzu pai-chia; literally "all philosophers hundred schools") were philosophers and schools that flourished from 770 to 221 BC, an era of great cultural and intellectual expansion in China.

Basically they destroyed what was amounting to the Great Library of China in a way. In 221 BC.

Who knows what amazing knowledge we have lost forever because of that tyranny?

Oh, and here is a supplemental link to Records of the Grand Historian

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevooo

library of Alexandria certainly set us back. but i think the worst handicaps on man where slavery during roman times and serfdom in the dark ages. humanity was on the edge of the Renascence(sp) for centuries. as for the aztecs im sure there was little we could learn from them as they were just coming into the iron age in the 1500s

I would disagree with that view. True they were just coming into the "Iron age" yet Central America had many cultures and civilizations which had produced some rather interesting mathematics, Astronomical observations, Pyramid and temple construction [Which rivals Egypt and others] all supposedly on their own.

I wouldn't count them out as insignificant or believing there wasn't much there to be learned from them

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Damned good thread my friend. Star and flag for you! The propensity of people in power to delete knowledge of those that came before really ticks me off, I would love to get inside the Vatican Vaults and see what is being hidden. I am of the opinion that we humans have been down this road before and rocked ourselves back to the stone age. But that is only an opinion.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join