It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Destruction of Human History....

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
It's human incompetence that renders history only a speculation based on scant evidence that in
most cases...only tells one side of the story.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by freestonew
lets not even talk about our FUTURE when no one can read a 5" floppy, a 31/4 floppy, and all those documents that will require a certain "reader" to read them! when everything becomes "digital" what will happen when the power goes off for 5,000 years?!

todays media and books will not last even 50 years before deterioration sets in!

If you buy gold-plated DVDs (as I occasionally do), they'll probably last much longer. In addition, I do own a few books published more than 50 years ago, which is already modern era (1950-1960), they do fine.

The amount and distributed nature of today's information storage makes it extremely hard to destroy completely and definitely. The flip side is that you need specialized devices to read these. Again, by sheer volume, enough of these are likely to survive in distant future, or at least provide ways to "bootstrap" technology to reconstruct the devices needed.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by freestonew

I remember reading some where that flash memory like that in SD cards and USB flash drive can last thousands of years. But in 5000 years people that find them will not be able to read them. They will not even know what they are. There is no telling what common everyday things maybe mistaken for when found in a thousand years. The future will be as clueless about us as we are about our own history maybe even more so.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
My last straw on ancient history is the lost labyrinth in egypt, it was even greater than the Alexandrian Library.
Here is a quote from Herodotus, who described the labyrinth.

Herodotus (ca. 484-430 BCE): One passage in Histories, Book, II, 148.
In the second book of his History, the Greek writer Herodotus gave the following account of the Labyrinth:
148. Moreover they (the 12 kings) resolved to join all together and leave a memorial of themselves; and having so resolved they caused to be made a labyrinth, situated a little above the lake of Moiris and nearly opposite to that which is called the City of Crocodiles. This I saw myself, and I found it greater than words can say. For if one should put together and reckon up all the buildings and all the great works produced by the Hellenes, they would prove to be inferior in labour and expense to this labyrinth, though it is true that both the temple at Ephesos and that at Samos are works worthy of note. The pyramids also were greater than words can say, and each one of them is equal to many works of the Hellenes, great as they may be; but the labyrinth surpasses even the pyramids. It has twelve courts covered in, with gates facing one another, six upon the North side and six upon the South, joining on one to another, and the same wall surrounds them all outside; and there are in it two kinds of chambers, the one kind below the ground and the other above upon these, three thousand in number, of each kind fifteen hundred. The upper set of chambers we ourselves saw, going through them, and we tell of them having looked upon them with our own eyes; but the chambers under ground we heard about only; for the Egyptians who had charge of them were not willing on any account to show them, saying that here were the sepulchres of the kings who had first built this labyrinth and of the sacred crocodiles. Accordingly we speak of the chambers below by what we received from hearsay, while those above we saw ourselves and found them to be works of more than human greatness. For the passages through the chambers, and the goings this way and that way through the courts, which were admirably adorned, afforded endless matter for marvel, as we went through from a court to the chambers beyond it, and from the chambers to colonnades, and from the colonnades to other rooms, and then from the chambers again to other courts. Over the whole of these is a roof made of stone like the walls; and the walls are covered with figures carved upon them, each court being surrounded with pillars of white stone fitted together most perfectly; and at the end of the labyrinth, by the corner of it, there is a pyramid of forty fathoms, upon which large figures are carved, and to this there is a way made under ground.

149. Such is this labyrinth; but a cause for marvel even greater than this is afforded by the lake, which is called the lake of Moiris, along the side of which this labyrinth is built…

There are currently many excavations going on in egypt, near the Sphinx and on the Gize Plateau, but the authorities like Dr. Hawass don't intend to tell the public what they are searching for.

An example here

What the labyrinth/ancient hall of records could look like

I really hope that truth will be told someday.
edit on 23-6-2011 by Shura because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Shura

I appreciate the links and videos.

Watching them now.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
reply to post by freestonew

I remember reading some where that flash memory like that in SD cards and USB flash drive can last thousands of years. But in 5000 years people that find them will not be able to read them. They will not even know what they are. There is no telling what common everyday things maybe mistaken for when found in a thousand years. The future will be as clueless about us as we are about our own history maybe even more so.

Well as I said there can be "bootstrap" of technology when simplest devices can be built based on hardcopies, and then progressively more complex media readers reconstructed step by step. It would be a good idea to imprint some schematics on golden plates just for that eventuality. Maybe it's done already.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Would they be able to read the schematics? We have writings craved in stone from thousands of years ago we can not read. They could be schematics to a space ship or a chocolate chip cookie recipe for all we know. Writing and languages change so much over time. That is a problem we may not be able to over come.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Shura

Because grave robbers are as real today as they were 10,000 years ago, people like Dr Hawass don't tell the public what they are looking for until after they have found it.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

I'm really sure that Dr Hawass found many artefacts in egypt about which he hasn't told us yet.
And that is not only the fault of grave robbers, there are other reasons as well.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
reply to post by buddhasystem

Would they be able to read the schematics? We have writings craved in stone from thousands of years ago we can not read. They could be schematics to a space ship or a chocolate chip cookie recipe for all we know. Writing and languages change so much over time. That is a problem we may not be able to over come.

Well you can't cleanly solve this problem anyhow. If a language goes out of use, and is dead for a while, any inscription in that language would be hard to decipher. I'm just saying in principle there is a good possibility that necessary technology can be reconstructed. Not guaranteed, but possible for a sufficiently advanced civilization.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
Just like when the Iraq war started and they looted and destroyed so many ancient artifacts and works of art that can never be replaced. It just made me sick. They call it the "cradle of civilization" for a reason.....and some of that stuff is gone for good.

I've just jumped over here from another thread, and after reading your response had to reply.I remember seeing thatall on tv when I first became aware of the distruction and I felt completely 'ripped off' that I would never see it. I felt cheated somehow....silly hey?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Bravo, to you for that interesting read. Time erases many things; both the physical and the imagined. Perhaps it is up to us to think upon all that has been lost for a reason.....the ancients left us crumbs to track but maybe we need to think for ourselves, for the time we live in. Awesome thread, Slayer! €€€

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The destruction is a travesty and most definitely hinders our learning, however, I think that a lot of people don't understand that, it's mostly a matter of politics. When you think about it, if you are trying to enforce your superiority over another civilization, the best way to do so, is to attack their culture and their education.

Also, the Aztec codices are a frustration that I've personally experienced. I'm a student of spoken Nahuatl (the Aztec language), and I was kind of disappointed (but not surprised), at how much spanish influence there is on their culture and language. For example: hasta mañana = hasta moztla, all days of the week, countries and most languages are taken directly from Nahuatl, even a few curse words. Most modern Nahua people have spanish names, a large portion of them are catholic. However, I am hoping to get some insight into the Aztec culture, because I've observed that a cultural mentality is very difficult to completely destroy. I think that somewhere down there, there is some remnants of that old Aztec culture, which I am trying to discover.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Great thread Slayer.

It just goes to show the ignorance of the human race as a whole.

To the people in power it seems that the only good knowledge is suppressed knowledge

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Ahh just when I was commenting in another thread about the absolute crime it was that we've lost so much knowledge throughout history and here you've already made a thread about my very feelings. You've done it again Slayer! Well done!

Its depressing that we're so in the dark about where we came from and we have no one to blame but ourselves and just out of dogmatic or political gain is what sickens me the most.

Religion wanted to have the only answer to where we came from so they wiped out everything else that said otherwise

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Do you believe some of the lost "Technology's" the ways our ancestors built certain structures, might have been housed in the Library of Alexandria ?

I always wondered what types of literature were housed there.....

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

That's the problem. Since the destruction was so severe & complete there is just no way of knowing what was housed and from how far back in our past.

Travesty..

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

How to destroy the Ancient Knowledge, to Hide, and to preserve The Secrets by Human Kind.

What huge loss of Time....

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Do you believe some of the lost "Technology's" the ways our ancestors built certain structures, might have been housed in the Library of Alexandria ?

I always wondered what types of literature were housed there.....

Some surviving records do give clues as to the types of scrolls contained at the Library - works on geometry, construction, warfare, etc as well as the usual suspects (poetry, etc).

So yes, basically lots of "lost" knowledge.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Shura

Thanks for those videos! Ive never heard of the story of the chambers being described by a couple of Romans it said? Ill always have a wonderment for this to be after hearing my mother talk of a place as such during a near death experience.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join