It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Bill Maher genuinely believes that religion is destroying the world, so by condemning and belittling religious people he believes he is doing good for the earth. (At least that is what I gathered from his documentary.)

As an atheist, I view religious individuals just as I view homosexuals, you can live your life however the hell you want to as long as it isn't hurting anyone else and as long as you aren't trying to "convert" me. In my opinion greed is the leading cause of war and hatred, not religion. The annoying thing is that religious people think they are better than anyone who doesn't subscribe to their particular brand of religion. If you deny this then you are going against what your own book teaches. In your own book of worship it tells you that because I do not believe what you believe in, I am beneath you and I am destined to spend an eternity in a fiery hell and experience the pain of being burned for an infinite amount of years. That is, unless you "save" me... please, spare me.

Furthermore, the bible teaches you that not only are Atheists destined to burn for eternity,but so is anybody who doesn't believe as Christians do. For example, believers in: Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Scientology, Pagan, etc etc... To me, that kind of arrogance is just unwarranted and something I refuse to be apart of. Yet it is one of the most important things the bible focuses on. Sure there are a few Atheists who try to push out there beliefs more than they should, but at least they don't believe that you are destined to burn in hell for believing something different than what they believe in.
edit on 8-6-2011 by Perplexity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by UB2120

You asked why I thought the universe reeked of design, I gave examples. I'm just showing that there is pattern and God is the source of all pattern.

Which god ?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Read my other posts in this thread........ kthx.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

I'm interested to know why suspending judgement due to a lack of evidence is "stupid"?

Atheists didn't create the God hypothesis. What about tribes? Are they stupid? Just because they havn't created supernatural causation as an attempt to rationalise the universe and/or the human condition.
edit on 8/6/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

Maybe stupid was a bit heavy, but I believe there is more than enough evidence of super-naturalism and metaphyics to make one a believer of *higher powers at work* and/or a supreme architect(masonic term).

And what tribes are you talking about? African, native american, asian, etc??? The tribes depicted on national geographic seem very spiritual if you ask me. Dancing around a bon-fire and yelling words in their own dialect!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

What about them? your wrong in your posts , saying Atheism is a form of religion is like saying organized crime is a form of religion...
After all people who contribute to organized crime have the same beliefs do they not?
edit on 8-6-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrFake
Here's the thing:

Religious people believe in God.
Atheists believe there is no god.
Neither side has the facts to prove what they say is true.
Therefore, it all comes down to faith.
Atheism is a religion whether the atheists want to admit it or not.
In the end, we're all the same. We just have faith in different beliefs.

See this is the kind of unintelligent mumbo Jumbo that has people laughing.

IF you claim something in a court of law the burden of proof lies with you.

YOU can not claim you were raped without proof. Even the police have to have evidence in their cases for the prosecution to try and prove it in court. COURT where the whole thing relies on PROOF.

NEver has there been proof of any god EVER. NEVER EVER EVER.

So therefore an atheist does not have to prove a negative. Its the religious freaks that want their BS intruding in our lives not the atheist.

ITs the religious nuts who want rules change to accommodate their "god". Read any of the holy scripts "original" scritp that is not the man made changed versions and you will see that god is a rapist, murderer and sadist.

If anything its the devil who fairs pretty well in the original texts.

But you religious people will forever be of weak mind and character for needing something so trivial to keep you motivated in life.

There is NO god. You prove it. The burden of proof lies with the one who makes the outrageous claims.

I AM god. You could not prove I am not. I am Jesus. You could not prove I am not.

But it would be ME who has to prove it to the world. People would not take my word for it. Why NOT? You are all so quick to defend you religion yet have had not proof of ANYTHING.

Also, why in court could I not use the "god told me to" excuse for murder. After all, reading the Old Testament god loved a bit of Murder and pedophilia.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terrormaster
reply to post by UB2120

So long story short... "I can't really answer those questions so... You believe what you want, I'll believe what I want. You know, that 'free will' thing. Toodles".

Pretty much! I try to give people additional information that they may not have come across. Most all athiests I've met base their denial of God on the Christian teachings. I do not follow those teachings. I personally follow the teachings in the Urantia Book. (www.urantia.org...) I once had the same questions to a certain degree. The Urantia Book worked for me, it may not for you, but what can it hurt to it check out? We all have faith. You have faith your computer will run or your car will start. Why is it such a terrible thing to think there is a God of salvation? Why is it bad to think that we will live on after our mortal death? The love of the Father absolutely individualizes each personality as a unique child of the Universal Father, a child without duplicate in infinity, a will creature irreplaceable in all eternity.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Since you're too lazy to do what I told you the first time, here's a link. And next time, at least come up with a constructive reply. Just telling me that I'm wrong isn't going to make me believe I'm wrong. lol.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Djin
reply to post by UB2120

You asked why I thought the universe reeked of design, I gave examples. I'm just showing that there is pattern and God is the source of all pattern.

Which god ?

There is only one. The Universal Father, the first source and center. The Father will ever respond to the faintest flicker of faith. He takes note of the physical and superstitious emotions of the primitive man. And with those honest but fearful souls whose faith is so weak that it amounts to little more than an intellectual conformity to a passive attitude of assent to religions of authority, the Father is ever alert to honor and foster even all such feeble attempts to reach out for him.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

I read all 7(including this one) of your posts, im not being lazy, just showing you that your wrong in your posts, if you cant accept it than move on and stop replying to me, im not bashing you just contributing to the thread.
edit on 8-6-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by testtubebaby

So you're not going to believe in a god unless there's proof? Cool. I'm not going to believe there is no god unless there's proof. Atheists have just as much (lack of) proof as theists. It's a two-sided coin with almost the same picture on both sides.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

You're just as wrong as I am. Huh. That was easy......... I didn't even have to prove my point! I should post like you more often.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

funny I supplied proof to back up my claims.
, but hey they say ignorance is bliss...so uh enjoy.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Yeah, proof against what I originally said. Which I then clarified in a later post. It's okay to admit you were wrong...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

edit on 8-6-2011 by Nobama because: theres no reason to keep this pointless discussion up...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
Apropriate answer to your post is this

Dear loving god that killed me I now believe there is a hell at least

link   
I guess you would say I am a becoming Atheist myself because the church to me cannot provide me with the proof I need to believe but in no way do I want to take someone else' belief system away from them. I tend to lean more toward the scientific aspect of things...

I personally think that each person needs their own support system to make it through life whether it be believing or not . We are all individual beings of different thought therefore giving us the power to decide for ourselves what is real and not real within ourself.

link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

No offense but you are tacking the "crap" on.

Believing in a god(s) carries no requirement to "proclaim" it. Just like not believing. Believing in a god(s) is simply that believing. Yes alot, if not all religions call for it, but that. It is not directly required to believe in a god(s). Otherwords, as I put "tacking crap on". And ALL BABIES are agnostic, not atheist as they are far to young to form a stance either way.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by UB2120

Originally posted by The Djin
reply to post by UB2120

Which god ?

There is only one. The Universal Father, .

You have proof of this ?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
So, would you agree that like theism spawning the much blighted word and scapegoat religion, atheism can and does spawn a equal and opposite counterpart?

I don't think theism OR atheism spawn anything. They are both just a position on whether there is a God. But when people join a religion, they become part of a structured and organized group with rules, regulations, dogma and beliefs, and take it upon themselves to convert other people to their way of thinking.

Yes, there are atheists (and I'm sure theists) who do this same thing, but not because they're atheists. There is no universally recognized atheist handbook that lists the beliefs and behaviors that atheists should have. And this imaginary book does not tell its followers to go out and preach the atheistic way of life to other people to get them to convert. Atheists don't come to my door asking me if I have heard the good news.

In my experience, people who take up with a religion become part of a team and unfortunately take on the team mentality seen in sports and political parties, and become very invested in getting more people to join their team.

And I want none of either world either extreme of the viewpoint divide envisages in their wildest "this world would be better if everyone was like me" fantasies.

I have to agree with you there. I don't like preaching of any flavor. Belief is a personal matter and we are all equipped with what it takes to form our own beliefs. We all CAN live together peacefully. Someone said it earlier... Live and let live.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join