It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Speech: Ex Had Abortion Against His Will

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Is the line for Free Speech being drawn, or is it vanishing? That is the biggest debate right now and it is sparked by different incidents.

A new incident was just reported in FOX News, reporting "a New Mexico man's decision to lash out with a billboard ad saying his ex-girlfriend had an abortion against his wishes has touched off a legal debate over free speech and privacy rights". (Source)

This is interesting because this is the kind of flares which is needed for the discussion of free speech to continue. This discussion and debate is important because either a line should be drawn, or the line should be abolished completely.

Right now a huge confusion exists, no one know whether a line is being drawn, or the line has vanished.

The above incident is going in court, what would the outcome of the proceedings mean for the debate?

Here is the billboard, decide for yourself:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/17737cde44b3.jpg[/atsimg]

I personally believe there should be a line, but it is hard to draw the line in an exact position.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by confreak

He doesn't mention her name, the picture is of him (right?), I would think this is within his rights.
Maybe the picture is the issue, as she may suffer emotionally, with him being recognized by people they both know, that may not have known about the abortion?

OK, Personally, if he would have left off the picture, I would not have a problem with it.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Sure. Im for free speech. And then men who abandon their children, or cheat on their wives, or call the phone sex lines should not mind when the women in their lives put up billboards, signs, posters, or call their bosses and tell them all their business too.

Its just nasty spitefulness. And I guess people have the right to be nasty and spiteful in the name of free speech. Hopefully it will make people more selective about whom they date if they know the person they date can take out ads, signs, etc., exposing all their secrets for the world to see.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

"Ms Lawrence's attorney, Ellen Jessen, told the Alamogordo Daily News: 'Part of the petition was to have the billboard removed. Under my theory the billboard and Internet data constitutes harassment, stalking and severe emotional distress."

www.dailymail.co.uk... -Baby-If-The-Mother-Has-Decided-To-Not-KILL-Our-Child.html

They want to label it as harassment, and harassment is a small crime in US right?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
He is protesting on a piece of public property, or property leased by him for such protesting. What is wrong with this?
Just because people don't agree with the message doesn't make it unfair to spread a message. People need to stop getting so butt hurt over how people protest.
edit on 7-6-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I fail to see the problem.

However, I would suggest that if you have strong opinions about abortion that you discuss them BEFORE having sex with someone.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

He doesn't mention her name, the picture is of him (right?), I would think this is within his rights.
Maybe the picture is the issue, as she may suffer emotionally, with him being recognized by people they both know, that may not have known about the abortion?

OK, Personally, if he would have left off the picture, I would not have a problem with it.

Same here: no personally identifying information on the billboard, and so there would be no evidence of malice intended. Personally, after getting a look at him, I'm glad he didn't breed.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

And now he knows better. LULZ
But that is a great point, I mean if you were to not tell your spouse you have an std and then hurt the other person, part of the fault is on the victim for not asking first.
The same goes for abortion, religious views, directional deployment of toilet tissue and all the normal stuff that goes into a relationship.

The trick is to not screw around on the first date and then later wonder why you are both non compatible. Not saying that's what he did, but that seems to be the new thing.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

The woman's friends say she had a miscarriage, not an abortion, according to a report in the Albuquerque Journal.

Read more: nation.foxnews.com...

If the above is true (and it should be provable in court) he may not be protected as having a miscarriage is definitely NOT the same as "killing a child". Defamation is not protected. Otherwise, I think it should be protected as free speech.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Your glad he didnt breed because he wears glasses?
Wears a stripe shirt?
Is into eating?
Plays D&D wherein he pretends to hold a level +12 shadow child?
Or you were just joking?

link   
Well, what a tool. No wonder she didn't want his baby.
If he'd been a more decent person, and a more discreet person, that cared more about HER, maybe she would have wanted his baby AND him.

link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

The woman's friends say she had a miscarriage, not an abortion, according to a report in the Albuquerque Journal.

Read more: nation.foxnews.com...

If the above is true (and it should be provable in court) he may not be protected as having a miscarriage is definitely NOT the same as "killing a child". Defamation is not protected. Otherwise, I think it should be protected as free speech.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

If she had a miscarriage, and he did this, then he should thank his lucky stars that his ex isn't a woman like me because my wrath would shatter his World.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I hate to say this, but for once I agree with you on something. grrrrrrrrrrrr.. lol just joking.
Truth is we know too much about the woman and her case (Which isn't much at all) and even less about this guy.
Whose to say he isn't mentally unstable insomuch as to fly off the handle at any number of events including the misrepresentation of a miscarriage as an abortion. If that is so then it sounds like he has bigger issues with the mother before this event occurred.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Lol. Where I grew up, whether he was telling the truth or not, the girls family and friends would give him a blanket party.

(Blanket party- for those who dont know, is coming up behind someone and throwing a blanket over their head and then beating them within an inch of their life. The blanket is so the person cannot identify his attackers.)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20

I hate to say this, but for once I agree with you on something. grrrrrrrrrrrr.. lol just joking.
Truth is we know too much about the woman and her case (Which isn't much at all) and even less about this guy.
Whose to say he isn't mentally unstable insomuch as to fly off the handle at any number of events including the misrepresentation of a miscarriage as an abortion. If that is so then it sounds like he has bigger issues with the mother before this event occurred.

Mentally unstable - see? - another good reason he shouldn't breed, besides being a schmuck for that billboard in the first place.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
If she had a miscarriage, and he did this, then he should thank his lucky stars that his ex isn't a woman like me because my wrath would shatter his World.

Ditto.

Originally posted by snowen20

Hey, that just proves it happens to the best.

I'm not sure if she had an abortion or not. Her friends may just be covering for her. But if she did, then I don't think she has a leg to stand on.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Plays D&D wherein he pretends to hold a level +12 shadow child?

only level +12 ?

What a noob

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Well, I don't see how he is a shmuck for protesting.
I do see how he may be unfit to breed if he has untreatable mental conditions that would prohibit him from being an effective guardian for a child. None of that as been proven though, so flying off the handle at his actions by stating your pleasure in seeing him childless seems a little harsh to me.
It may be better if you protest with a 40 foot road side sign, at least that way you are on equal grounds.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Wow, tough one. She has the right to choose, he has the right to free speech...ugh. I think it's extremely distasteful for him to do this but I'm not sure he's wrong at all. If he had put her picture there it would be a different story. I'm pro-choice but I don't think he is wrong...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
Personally, after getting a look at him, I'm glad he didn't breed.

Thats very uncharitable.

However, I agree. And for more than just his looks. Taking out a billboard for a personal matter to ME screams, "emotionally unstable nut" and we already have enough of those in the world, imho.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join